I Know Places [Thomas The Maz...

By solemnarration

Originally posted by me on quotev: https://www.quotev.com/story/5996550/I-Know-Places-Thomas-The-Maze-Runner... More

[01: The Girl]
[02: The Walls]
[03: The Circle]
[04: The Greenie's Name]
[05: The Dream]
[06: The Attack]
[07: The Banishing]
[08: The First Glader]
[09: The Closing Doors]
[11: The Gathering]
[12: The Note]
[13: The Lost Memories]
[14: The Pit]
[15: The Serum]
[16: The Grievers]
[17: The Aftermath]
[18: The Answers]
[19: The Escape]
[20: The Way Out]
[21: The Exit]
[22: The Cost of Freedom]
[23: The Home Between Homes]
[24: The Other Girl]
[25: The Disappearing Bodies]
[26: The Backup Plan]
[27: The Prettiest Girl in the Room]
[28: The Return of Ava Paige]
[29: The Getaway Plan]
[30: The Supply Stop]
[31: The Cranks]
[32: The Infection]
[33: The Gunshot]
[34: The Lightning]
[35: The Insecurity]
[36: The Party Host]
[37: The Right Arm]
[38: The Temporary Cure]
[39: The Confession]
[40: The Fight]
[41: The Betrayal]
[42: The Ones Left Behind]
[43: The Relocation]
[44: The Time Elle Finally Slept]
[45: The Rescue Mission]
[46: The Train Car]
[47: The Last City]

[10: The Return]

6.5K 168 60
By solemnarration

"Where's Chuck?" Elle asked, sobering up enough to look for her youngest friend.

"I'm here," he replied, moving to sit beside her. He'd stepped aside as she panicked, not wanting to make things worse, and was relieved that she was doing better with Newt's intervention.

Newt stood after patting Elle on the knee and encouraged the Gladers to move to the Homestead. They knew they could spend the evening on that spot just waiting for the others to return, but it wouldn't do them any good. Newt, Frypan, and Gally said it was almost time for dinner and everyone should wash up.

"Hey, Chuck," Elle greeted him. "You okay? Sorry you had to see that."

He dismissed her apology, relieved to see that she was doing better. "It's okay!" Chuck was just as torn up about losing Thomas to the Maze as Elle, but he understood she had a different bond with him. Perhaps it was because they came up in the Box together, but Chuck could tell that Elle and Thomas had met before. They were too close, too perfectly synced to have met for the first time three days ago. Elle wrapped an arm around Chuck's shoulders, gently pulling him to her side for a cuddle. "I should have stopped him," Chuck said sombrely.

Elle's heart broke in an instant. "That's not true, Chuck. You know how Thomas is. Once he's got his mind set on something nobody can stop him. It's not your fault," she assured the younger boy. "None of us could have seen it coming. Maybe we should have since that seems exactly like something Thomas would do, but we didn't. And that's okay." She kissed the top of Chuck's head. "We have to make our own choices. Sometimes we just forget to think about how they affect other people."

Chuck nodded, gazing up at Elle with big eyes. "You think that Thomas didn't think about us when he ran in?"

"I think he was too busy thinking about Alby and Minho," Elle rationalised. "All he wanted to do was help our friends, so he didn't think about how much he'd scare us by running in. But he's a fast runner, and he thinks quickly on his feet. I'm sure that he'll be able to help them out," she assured Chuck. "I have a feeling he's really good at helping people."

"He's really bad at gardening, though," Chuck recalled. "I hope he's a lot better at this."

Elle chuckled, and Chuck was pleased to know he caused it. "From what I've heard from Zart and Newt, he certainly can't be any worse than he is at gardening," she joked. "I'll tell you what. Why don't we go get some dinner and then we can play a game," Elle suggested. "Anything you want."

"I'm not really hungry," Chuck mumbled. Elle frowned, knowing he had to be very upset if he couldn't even work up an appetite.

"That's okay," Elle soothed. "But eating will make you feel better whether you're hungry or not. It's got all these little sugars that help your brain function, and it'll settle your stomach to get you ready for bed," she explained. "What do you say?"

Chuck agreed reluctantly. "How do you know all these things?" he wondered on their way to the kitchens. "You speak like someone who knows everything, all the time."

Elle paused. "You know what? I have no idea," she admitted. "I just know things."

After dinner, the exhaustion was visible on Chuck's face. His eyes drooped shut, even when he insisted he wasn't tired. Elle excused them and prepared for a sleepless night as she stroked Chuck's curly hair with her fingertips, massaging his scalp to relax him as he slept. The boy was already in his hammock, and once Elle was sure he was asleep, she tucked him in his blanket and left him.

Even though she was tired too, Elle knew she would be plagued with nightmares if she slept by herself, so she decided to bring her blanket and pillow from her room to the Maze walls. She didn't want to spend her night in front of it, but she knew a certain blond would be there and decided he could use the company. "I knew I'd find you here," Elle greeted Newt, sitting beside him and sharing her blanket.

Newt was instantly relieved she was there. He knew it was selfish to hope she would come looking for him, but he craved the presence of someone who didn't look to him as the next leader of the Glade. "I'm nothing if not predictable," Newt joked, pulling her blanket over his lap. His voice was deep and sleepy, like he'd just woken up. "See, that's funny because we've only known each other for three days. Even if it was predictable, you wouldn't know it."

Elle grinned and bumped shoulders with Newt. "It's not as funny if you have to explain," she reminded him. "Also, I got the joke the first time around."

Newt hummed, letting his head drop onto Elle's shoulder. "Well, you are the smart one out of the two of us," he mumbled.

"Tell me something I don't know," Elle replied in a breezy voice, giggling when he pinched her side. "Now close your eyes and get some rest. I'll keep watch," she ordered.

"I can't. The others need me," Newt protested, feeling his eyelids grow heavier.

"Not tonight they don't. You need to sleep, Mister Second in Command. Just rest, I'll be here if you need anything." Newt couldn't argue because he was already on the brink of slumber. Elle watched with the joy of a sister when her friend finally drifted off to sleep. She sat awake, making sure the other Gladers didn't need anything. After nearly an hour, she couldn't fight her exhaustion any longer.

"It's a simple procedure. We've done it over sixty times and nothing has ever gone wrong," Ava Paige explained to Thomas, smiling. She was uncharacteristically patient, probably because Elle was getting the Swipe that day. Chancellor Paige knew and understood exactly how important Elle was to the trials. Besides, she liked Elle; she didn't want anything to happen to her just as much.

"I understand that. I just wanted to make sure there aren't any risks of Elle getting hurt," Thomas replied, suddenly embarrassed that he was being so publicly protective of her. It was no secret that they were in a relationship and had been best friends for five years. but that was between them; Thomas didn't want anyone else to know the intimate details of their relationship.

"You're going through the surgery too, Thomas. Aren't you worried about yourself?" Ava retorted, suppressing an amused smile. After knowing him for so many years, she had grown fond of Thomas.

"I suppose that's my job," Elle said, smiling as she reached to take Thomas's hand. He squeezed her fingers, wondering if this would be the last time he did. He hoped and believed they would remember each other. It would be a waste to love somebody so much and never even know it. "He worries about me and I worry about him."

The Chancellor observed the couple's interaction, analysing how they communicated without words. All it took was one exchange of eye contact or a squeeze of their hands to relay their messages. To her, there was always something about young love that seemed fascinating. So fascinating it could be studied.

Ava clapped her hands together, standing from her office chair. "Alright. I'll give the two of you a few minutes before you go into surgery. I want you to know that you're both very important. I will see you both again soon. And remember, WICKED is good," she added.

When Chancellor Paige left, Elle reached over and didn't hesitate to pull Thomas into a tight embrace. She squeezed her eyes shut, pressing her face into his neck and holding him for what she hoped wouldn't be the last time. Thomas bent down, pressing his lips against her cheek and brushing his nose against hers. Elle shivered.

"I love you," Thomas whispered. Their hospital gowns crinkled every time the pair moved, but they didn't care. "I've never loved anyone as much as I love you." He kissed her other cheek. She shut her eyes, stomach knotting. "And I'll never love anyone but you."

"That's today," Elle replied, returning the kisses to his cheeks. Thomas felt her eyelashes brush his cheekbones, and a shiver went down his spine. Any time she kissed him, he felt like he was on fire. "We don't know what will happen tomorrow or the day after, and how that will impact how you feel about me," she said sadly.

"Yes I do," Thomas insisted. "I may not know what's going to happen in the Maze, but I know I will never stop loving you."

Elle smiled tearfully. "You're going to forget me," she cried.

"Not fully," Thomas shook his head, equally tearful. His eyes were so tender, reflecting his longing to stay with Elle. "A part of me will always remember you. And that will be enough for me to love you again," he vowed.

"I love you," Elle echoed. Her hands grasped his face and pulled him into a searing kiss. All the soft, gentleness of their conversation was left behind. Thomas captured her lips in a passionate kiss, letting the world fade away around them. Elle melted into his touch, tugging him closer and tasting salt from their tears. "I'll remember you too," she promised when they parted, foreheads touching. "I'll remember everything you've done for me and all the ways you've made me feel safe. And that will be enough for me to love you again," she repeated his farewell.

The nurses came back in to prepare them for surgery. "It's time," they said, helping the couple get back into their cots.

Elle's heart pounded in her ears, scared out of her mind. This wasn't what she wanted; it hadn't been for a long time. She glanced to her right to find Thomas looking back at her, trying to comfort her the way she always seemed to comfort him. They reached out and linked hands as the nurses inserted the needles into their arms.

The last thing Elle felt was Thomas's hand dropping from hers as the world went black.

"Everything's going to change now."

Elle woke up when someone gently prodded her arm. It was Chuck crouching in front of her. "The doors are opening soon," he explained, poking Newt awake next. Elle and Newt stretched their arms and legs, groaning at the ache in their backs from sleeping against the Maze wall all night.

"Any more nightmares?" Newt asked. He blinked sleepily, trying to keep his eyelids open.

"Not really," Elle replied, putting a hand to her lips. She could still feel what it was like to be kissed in her dreams, but she couldn't remember any other details. Clearing her throat when the image of Thomas's face in a foreign room entered her mind, Elle gathered her blankets and tossed them aside.

Within minutes, the rest of the Gladers were back at the closed Maze doors. They were exhausted, struggling to keep their eyes open and backs upright. The machine-like sound of the doors open resonated through the Glade. Everyone perked up, craning their necks to look into the Maze.

"Guys, get up!" Chuck called.

Newt and Elle stood, moving to the opening to see if their friends made it through the night. Disappointment flooded everyone's expressions when they saw an empty space. Newt's hopeful smile slipped into a neutral frown, masking his disappointment. "I told you, Chuck. They're not coming back," he said, meeting Chuck's crestfallen eyes.

"Let's go," another Glader called.

Even though it was difficult, the Gladers would have to continue their lives. Elle wanted nothing more than to stand there all day, just in case they were turned, but she knew it was a bad idea. Even though it tore her apart, she couldn't be left hoping. Elle placed her hand on Chuck's back, watching the boys turn their backs and walk away.

It was Zart who looked back at the Maze and gasped when he saw something in the distance. "No way," he whispered, stunned.

Elle turned and saw what Zart was gaping at, just in time for Chuck to let out a guttural cheer. Her breath hitched in her throat. It was them. Turning the corner were Alby, Minho, and Thomas. The Runner and the Greenie carried the leader of Glade over their shoulders, hurrying towards the Glade as quickly as they could manage. Frozen in place, Elle watched Newt and the other Gladers race back to the Maze to help carry Alby. Once they had him, Minho and Thomas fell to their knees from exhaustion. The Med-jacks rushed over to check on Alby, studying the Griever sting on the left side of his chest.

Elle could barely process what was happening, eyes flitting from Thomas to Alby to Minho in wonder.

"You saw a Griever?" Chuck asked, realising it was inevitable if they lived through the night. His eyes were wide with wonder as he stared at Thomas.

Thomas.

Elle could finally breathe now that she'd seen him again. He looked worn out and was covered in dirt and cuts, panting as he tried to catch his breath. She prayed she would never have to see him like this ever again, but it was a relief to see him alive regardless of the state he was in.

"Yeah. I saw one," Thomas nodded, avoiding eye contact with anyone.

Minho shook his head. "He didn't just see it," he denied, panting less than Thomas. Elle assumed it was all the training he had from being a Runners that gave him better stamina. "He killed it," Minho revealed.

Everyone turned their heads to gape at Thomas with a newfound admiration. Shock coated the faces of the Gladers at the news. Elle still didn't know much about the history of the Grievers, but based on the boys' reactions, it was clear that nobody had ever killed one before. Once again, something she or Thomas did was going to change things.

"Alright," Newt said as whispers spread like a hissing snake. "I'm calling a Gathering. Normally this would just be for the Keepers but in light of recent events I'm inviting everybody," he explained. "Med-jacks, get Alby safely to the Homestead before meeting in the Council room," Newt ordered.

There was a commotion as a few of the Keepers got up to help Newt and the Med-jacks, and the other Gladers moved to the Council room for the Gathering. Elle watched the boys help Minho to his feet and pass him water.

Thomas shifted his attention to the girl he had been thinking about all night long; the girl he was dying to get back to. "Elle," he whispered, rising on trembling legs. As he stepped towards the girl, she trod back a few paces, holding her hands out to stop Thomas from getting closer.

"Wait," Elle's voice wavered. She shook her head nervously. "Just-- Stop. I need to wrap my head around this," she explained, running her eyes down his body to make sure he wasn't injured. "Are you hurt?" Elle wondered.

Thomas shook his head. "I'm fine," he promised.

"Any open wounds or broken bones?" she clarified.

"No, no. I'm fine, really," Thomas assured Elle.

"Nothing that I should be worried about? Other than the emotional and psychological stuff." Elle's voice was clipped, less nervous and growing angrier by the second.

Thomas swallowed nervously. The remaining Gladers shared frightened expressions and sped off towards the Council room. "Nothing," Thomas confirmed.

"Good." Elle nodded, relieved. "Fine," she added. With narrowed eyes, Elle shoved Thomas with all the strength she had left in her. Thomas huffed, stumbling over his feet and almost falling backwards in surprise. "Now I can stop being worried and skip straight to asking you what the hell you thought you were doing last night!"

"What?" Thomas stammered.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Elle repeated herself, exhaustion reflected in her eyes. "You can't just break the rules, risk your life, and expect to come home with me applauding your reckless choices."

"Well-- I mean–" Thomas stared at her. He hadn't expected this reaction. "I helped them," he defended himself. "I saved Alby and--"

Elle interrupted him, throwing her hands in the air. "You broke the rules, abandoned me, and scared the absolute klunk out of me! It's like you don't think before you act, all you think about is being a hero instead of taking care of yourself!"

"That's not fair," Thomas complained. "I wasn't trying to be the hero, I was trying to help!"

"You've been obsessed with the Maze and running it ever since we got here! What was I supposed to do if you didn't come back? How was I supposed to move on with my life without you here?" Elle demanded to know.

"I don't know!" Thomas shouted back, exasperated. "I guess I didn't think about that in the split second I decided to help Minho!"

Elle sighed, rubbing her forehead frustratedly. She visibly deflated, and her anger was replaced with relief. "I thought you were dead," she whispered. "I thought I was never going to see you again, any of you."

Thomas's shoulders sagged, knowing the position he put her and the other Gladers in. "I'm sorry," he replied.

"I don't know what I would have done if you didn't make it back," Elle declared, pulling Thomas into a hug. He sighed in relief, wrapping his arms around her and squeezing her tight. Thomas could feel the tension melting away from his shoulders, and the knot of anxiety in his stomach loosened when she exhaled softly. "Please warn me before you do something like that again," Elle requested.

"I did warn you," Thomas mumbled, blushing. "In my own way..."

"Kissing me is not a warning, shuck-face!" Elle exclaimed, pulling away just enough for him to see her scowl. "That was a surprise followed by a much worse surprise."

Thomas chuckled, his heart warming at the little glare on her face. It occurred to him several times last night that he might never see Elle again. Standing with her now, he was glad he fought so hard to return to her. "So the first surprise was good?" Thomas asked, grinning. He didn't care that his red cheeks gave away how he felt about her, he was too busy feeling giddy with relief.

Elle rolled her eyes, leaning up to kiss him properly now that he was back. Thomas shut his eyes, pulling her in by her waist and humming happily when she wound her fingers through his hair. "We have to go," she said as he pressed a kiss to her cheek. "You need a shower, but we need to go to the Gathering first."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.6K 1.1K 44
" 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒂𝒛𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒎𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒅𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎𝒔. " 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 Dawn and Lisa arrive in the Glade, surrounded by an enormous Maze an...
2K 149 32
Not knowing who she is, nor why she was send there, Ruby finds herself trapped in a maze full of boys. Thomas appears to be the most important person...
26.3K 667 25
She wasn't the type of girl to freak out after waking up somewhere new. She had this calmness about her until she assesses the situation. But when s...
86.6K 1.5K 32
A Gally love story that takes place way before Thomas ever enters the Maze. When he shows up lots of things change a new perspective in the Maze Runn...