And So It Continues (MBBF Seq...

By knightsrachel

This is a continuation of the characters from My Brother's Best Friend. This will sporadically follow their s... More

Quick Description
Character Aesthetics
Jamie & the Fender Bender
Naomi & the Coffee Maker
Parker & the Instructional Yoga DVD
Lee & the Confession
Emily & the Garbage Disposal
Emmett & the M&M McFlurry
Lee & the Faulty Ferris Wheel
Jamie & the Art Exhibit
Parker & the Big Comfy Couch
Emmett & the Yellow Polka Dot Umbrella
Naomi & the Wet Sheets
Lee & the Securely Fastened Car Seat
Emmett & the Missile Toe
Parker & the Misconceptions of a Teenage Girl
Naomi & the Bad-Mouthed Baby
Jamie & the Brand New Car
Lee & the Missing Case of Sir Hops A Lot
Parker & the Blue-Eyed Hippo
Theodore & the Bridge Miscalculation
Naomi & the Tough Diagnosis
Jamie & the Heartfelt Lecture
Lee & the Fatherly Advice
Emily & the Reindeer Sweater
Jamie & the No Good, Terrible, Very Bad Day
Parker & the Kitchen Conversation

Emily & the Elephant Rocker

60.7K 2.6K 1.3K
By knightsrachel

Emily & the Elephant Rocker
(Theodore: Newborn)

"Tada!" I stepped away from the newly painted green wall, smiling at Parker. "And you said I couldn't do it."

"I said no such thing," Parker said, from his seated position on the floor. He was assembling the crib for Lee's new baby's nursery.

"You mocked me when I said I was going to turn this nursery into a jungle. And look at it now!"

"A green wall and a half-assembled black crib," Parker deadpanned. "How do you do it?"

"Shut up, asshole."

I plopped down next to him, picking up the instruction manual as I laid my head on his shoulder. "Doesn't this bring back memories?"

"Of assembling my own child's crib? Yeah. And that was just as annoying." Parker let out a frustrated sigh, shoving the wooden frame away from him. "Only my brother would have the baby first and then decide to get shit ready for it."

"They're keeping the baby Parker. I think you're missing the most important part."

He cast me a sidelong glance to which I just smiled.

"And when, exactly, were you planning on telling them that you wanted to adopt the baby?" Parker asked.

"I didn't want to adopt the baby," I said, lowering my eyes at him. "However, I wasn't going to let another family take him."

"That baby is all you've talked about for the past three months. You have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to Casey Adams, which would have never been his name by the way."

"Fuck off Parker."

"Don't you watch reality TV?" Parker continued. "When that kid found out that his adopted parents were actually his Aunt and Uncle and he found out who his real parents were, he could've turned to drugs or violence. Or worse."

I turned to stare at Parker for a few moments. "I don't watch nearly as much reality TV as you apparently."

"The point is, you haven't stopped gushing over that baby since the moment he was born."

"And?" I demanded, standing up. "He is my nephew. And more importantly, he's your brother's kid. Why shouldn't I obsess over him a bit?"

"A bit would be buying the kid a stuffed animal or a wardrobe, not an entire nursery."

"What the hell has gotten into you?" I asked. "You have been nothing but bitter since the day Theo was born, and it's about damn time you start talking."

"Is that not what I'm doing?"

I didn't know what had gotten into him, but I didn't want him to stick around for me to find out. I had more important matters to deal with, like having the riders ready by the time Lee and Naomi brought the baby home.

"You've done enough for today," I muttered. "Why don't you go and pick up Jamie Lee from Emmett's and I'll be home shortly."

Parker sat the wooden pieces of the crib down, slowly standing up. "So that's it? We're just ending it there?"

"I don't know why you're looking for a fight Parker. I mean, you're right. I would've taken Theo if they'd given him up for adoption. But they didn't. So now I'll shower him with my unconditional love as Aunt Emily instead."

"And that's the end of it?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

Parker let his head drop back, letting out a long sigh. "Because I heard you talking to Emmett the other day."

I paused, our eyes locking as silence stretched between us.

"Oh."

"Is that... I mean..." Parker trailed off, clearing his throat as he ran his fingers through his hair. "You really want another kid?"

I reached out and ran my hand down Parker's tensed bicep, offering him a small smile. "I do."

His shoulders slumped over, and he began shaking his head. "But why?"

"Because I love the one we have so much. And I'd like another one to spread that love to."

He cleared his throat once again, rising up to his full height. "Is it because of Theodore?"

"What?"

"Because Theodore stayed with Lee? So you want another baby instead?"

"I wanted a baby long before the prospect of adopting Theo came about."

Parker shook his head, pressing his eyes shut. "I'm going to go and pick up Jamie."

"Parker-"

He left the nursery without another word, the front door slamming just a few moments later.

That wasn't how I wanted that to go.

~*~

"It's so cute," Naomi gushed, her hands running across the material of the elephant rocker.

"I picked it up from a thrift shop," I said, smiling down at Theo who was nestled in my arms. "It fits the theme perfectly."

Naomi reached up and wiped the falling tears off of her cheeks. "I just love the whole theme that you're doing. And I'm so thankful that you're doing this for me, for us. I can't possibly repay you."

"It's nothing," I said. I bent down and kissed Theo's forehead. "Anything for my nephew." I flashed Naomi a smile. "And my favorite sister-in-law... in law?"

Naomi was laughing as Lee came into the room. It was apparent he'd just woken up, his clothes rumpled and hair sticking up in odd places.

"How's the boy?" Lee asked. He leaned over my shoulder to peer down at Theodore.

"Asleep," I said.

"That's nice." He pressed his lips to Naomi's forehead, letting them linger there a few moments, before dropping in an armchair.

"Alright, I'll give up your baby so I can get back to work on your nursery."

I went to give Lee the baby but he held his hands up in a surrender pose, glancing toward Naomi.

"Are you serious?" I questioned.

"I'm adjusting," Lee snapped. "Don't start with me."

Naomi held her arms out to me, offering me a tired smile. I had a feeling this was a conversation that happened often between them.

"My parents will be in this afternoon," Naomi said. "Alongside my brother."

"I'll see if I can stop by." I kissed Theo one last time before heading toward their house.

I'd finished painting the walls last night, so now they needed to be decorated. I had stick-on jungle animals, such as an elephant and a monkey. And I had a stick-on tree that took up the entire corner of his room. Hanging from the branches I'd planned on decorating the wall with his name, all surrounding his crib.

Parker's car was parked in the driveway when I pulled up and I immediately called Emmett.

Parker was supposed to be home with Jamie Lee.

I got Emmett's voicemail so I headed inside. I could hear music from somewhere upstairs as I walked out into the foyer.

"Parker?" I called out.

No answer.

I headed upstairs, the music coming from the nursery. I opened the door to see Jamie Lee playing with the toys that I'd bought for Theodore, the ones that Parker was supposed to set up.

Parker was bobbing his head to the Disney soundtrack playing, Jamie half-singing along.

The entire left-half of Theodore's room had been assembled, including the stick-ons and the crib. And Parker was currently putting together the multi-purpose dresser and changing table.

"Parker?"

His head whipped around to face me, eyebrows raised. "I didn't hear you come in."

"Hi mama!" Jamie Lee called. She was trying to climb up into the back of a jumbo-sized, standing giraffe.

"Hi baby." I kissed her forehead, glancing down at her mismatched outfit. "Did daddy dress you?"

"I dress myself."

"Good job baby." I hoisted her up into the giraffe's back, Parker crossing the room to join me.

He leaned against the crib, smiling down at Jamie Lee before glancing up at me. "Do you accept my apology?"

"You did this all by yourself?"

He nodded. "With a toddler running amuck, causing mayhem."

I wrapped my arms around his neck, giving him a small peck on the lips. "Why the change of heart?"

"Because you were right."

"Say it again."

He rolled his eyes, disentangling himself from me to help Jamie Lee down. "You heard me. That's all you're going to get."

"And what was I right about exactly?"

"I was being a dick yesterday. And I have been since Theodore was born. That's not on you."

"What's wrong babe?"

He let out a long sigh, shoving his hands into the pockets of his gym shorts. "I was uh... Well Lee was being an ass. And I let it get to me."

"How so?"

"It's embarrassing, I don't-"

I held up a single hand, stopping him. "You better start talking."

He cleared his throat, turning so he was looking at Jamie Lee instead of me. "Only Lee would purposely not give his kid a middle name just to spite me."

"What?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowing together in confusion.

"He was pissed when we named Jamie Lee without his consent. So he purposely picked an insignificant name and didn't give the kid a middle name just to flip me the middle finger."

"What makes you say that?"

"Because he told me. Wanted to make sure I got the message."

Only Lee.

I moved so that I was rubbing Parker's shoulders, and I pressed my lips against his ear. "We didn't name Jamie Lee as we did for anything in return."

"Yeah but I didn't name her as we did for petty backlash either."

"Who cares what the baby's name is?" I asked. "Just so long as he's happy and healthy and our daughter is smarter and always better than him."

Parker turned his head, pressing his lips against mine. "This is why I love you."

"And we don't need to make any decisions on the baby thing right now," I said, squatting down and holding open my arms.

Jamie Lee took a running start, throwing herself into them.

"I love my baby girl," I said, picking her up.

"I love my momma."

I flashed Parker a smile. "I'm happy right where we are."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.6K 1K 33
en esta historia seras Mia 🔞
53.2K 3.7K 80
Donde Mia Campos entra a la casa más famosa del mundo a jugar o donde conocera a gente que se volverán parte de su vida y conocera también al amor ic...
2.4M 143K 105
Libro uno de la Duología [Dominantes] Damon. Un hombre frío, amante de los retos, calculador... decidido. Se adentra en un mundo desconocido, donde l...
187K 18K 67
Jeon Jungkook es un Omega de 20 años, el cual siempre soñó con encontrar una pareja, pero nadie lo aceptaba, ¿ porque ? Fácil, Jungkook nacio con un...