The Sahara Chronicles #1: The...

بواسطة curious_cat_3

SAMPLE ONLY; AVAILABLE IN FULL ON AMAZON A man seeking his fortune, a woman driven from her own home. Two leg... المزيد

Foreword
Book Trailer & Aesthetic
Audio Excerpts
PROLOGUE: A JOURNEY BEGINS
PART I: THE YOUNG FOREIGNER
PART II: HEALER
PART III: A DREAM
PART IV: COMPANY
PART V: LIGHT AND DARKNESS
PART VI: OLD FAMILY, NEW FRIEND
PART VIII: TRUST
PART IX: THE DARK PRINCESS
PART X: THE ALCHEMIST
PART XI: FOUND!
PART XII: DARKNESS UNLEASHED
Art
Sequel Out!!!
Removal Notice
PRE-ORDER & PUBLISHING NEWS!!!
Promo Video!!

PART VII: THE SPRING FESTIVAL

76 9 0
بواسطة curious_cat_3

The day before the Spring Festival finally arrived, John and his family – including Yor – decided to take a break.

While Alia and John went to the riverside to spend some quiet time together, Mike and Jim were free to roam the forest with Nina, one of the many part-time nannies in the kingdom, and their peers. Only Elmeida and Yor were left behind at home—her because she did not want to be left alone outside the comfort of the home and he because he wanted to have some peace and quiet, away from the noises and cheers outside. It didn't occur to either of them to go somewhere together... but then again, mayhap that was for the good of everyone in the world.

Elmeida stepped out of her room after having changed for the day and saw Yor already set to begin his. He was seated on a stool in the living-room, his back facing her. She could not help gazing at him. He had a straight, muscular back, as if he had worked on a field all his life, hair naturally curled and raven-black. And he was almost as tall as her Uncle John. He was wearing regular clothes: A light brown long-sleeved shirt and a pair of black comfortable-looking trousers, both baggy and giving anybody who looked at him the impression that he was heavier than he probably looked. 'Or maybe he is very heavy!'

Even as she took in all these details, he abruptly turned around and, when their eyes met, she coloured and darted her gaze away.

"You don't have to be afraid of me, you know," his velvety voice spoke up; immediately, she lifted her head up to face him. "I'm not going to eat you. That's right: we've seen eye-to-eye at last!" The happy grin he gave her seemed to light up his entire being, and warmed her heart.

She smiled back at him bashfully. "Y-yes, I... I'm – er – sorry for being such a bother. I can stay out of your way if that's what you want."

He shook his head. "Please don't say that, my lady. You've never been a bother. As a matter of fact, you have been a source of intrigue to me all week."

This sudden flattery alarmed Elmeida and she took a step backward. "Oh," she managed to breath out. 'A flattery or an insult?' she wondered.

Yor's smile faded as a look of concern replaced it. "Er – I'm sorry, I didn't mean to –"

Elmeida cut him off: "No please, I was so very flattered that – well, your words took my breath away, sir." For assurance, she gave him another shy smile.

He looked relieved. "Well... good, then."

An awkward silence ensued as they each tried not to catch the other's eye.

At last, Yor said, looking forward: "Come, sit here with me, will you?"

Elmeida started, but recovered quickly. "O-okay."

She looked him over again. His face was as pleasant as she had seen the first day; she couldn't help feeling relaxed.

Once they settled down on a pair of stools facing one-another, he began, "Let me introduce myself: I'm Yor Castel of Selina, in the Kingdom of Grant."

"Yes, I think my uncle told me." She couldn't help a sudden giggle. He grinned, showing his imperfectly-shaped teeth.

"But did he tell you I lived there for seventeen years, before I decided to travel?"

She shook her head. "Why?" A pause. "Why did you start your travel, your journey?"

"When I came of age, I knew I had fortune waiting for me. I started my journey in search of this fortune. I travelled for a year, paid my respects to the kings and their elders of the countries of Cramarick and Cordelia, sought their advice, and helped them with their problems."

"Cordelia?" she gasped, mouth dropped open and eyes wide.

"Er... yes." Yor blinked her at her, confused. "Anything the matter?"

Elmeida resolved a quick debate in her mind and shook her head. "Nothing at all – please go on!" 'Could he...?'

Yor seemed to eye her suspiciously.

"You were saying...?" she prompted. Seemingly letting it go, he went on: "Well, about a fortnight ago, I arrived in this Kingdom of Aloris, and, upon hearing your aunt was taken severely ill, I decided to try my luck with my magical equipment."

"Magical equipment?" She blinked as something flashed in her mind. "Like that belt you keep carrying around?"

Laughing eyes confirmed her question. "Indeed. And a hat, which chiefly functions as a cauldron."

She stifled another giggle, thoroughly amused now. "You're joking!"

"Of course not, my lady. Elmeida – can I call you Elmeida?"

She nodded.

"I'll show you one day, Elmeida, when the time comes. It's called alchemy. In our world, it's a form of magic very few people use."

"In our world?"

"Apparently."

"And so, with your magical equipment, you succeeded in curing Aunt Alia," she said, softly. "So, it is true... what I heard in the country the day I came here. It was all over the marketplace." She drew in a long breath and composed herself. Letting it out in a huff, she lowered her head timidly, still looking at him from the tops of her eyes, she muttered, "Thank you, kind sir. It means a lot to me."

She looked up to see him gazing at her with a smile.

"You're welcome. Alia and her family – they're all you have, ain't they?"

"Yes. They're my parents from my mother's side. Uh – I mean, my mother's younger sister – that's Aunt Alia."

"That's nice. It must be nice."

"It is, sir. Uh –"

"Yor."

"Pardon?"

"Please call me 'Yor'. That's my name – not 'sir'." He grinned.

She smiled back, warming up more now. "Of course – Yor. Don't you have a family? Are they back in Grant?"

The man's eyes softened, though his smile remained the same. "No. Not anymore. Not for a while, actually."

"I'm sorry to hear that. You can..." She hesitated again, out of the blue.

He stared curiously at her now. "Yes?"

She cleared her throat. "I mean, you can probably consider this your home and come and go whenever you like. Aunt and Uncle trust you – they treat you just like you were family. Like I am. And if they trust you, so do I."

"You... er... you came in my dream last night."

Elmeida started. "P-pardon?"

"Well, not just last night, but for the last few, I suppose." And Yor proceeded to explain his dream. Her startled expression relaxed with each word he spoke.

"That explains a lot," she murmured, thoughtfully.

"Excuse me? Did you say anything?"

She shook her head. "Don't you think that's strange?"

"Me dreaming about a woman I've never met? Yes. Me dreaming about a woman I was about to meet?" He shrugged. "I don't think so. Anything is possible in this world."

A silence descended upon them, when Elmeida took to looking at the window; from where she sat, she could only see the grey of the clouds outside. Yor stared at the book he was reading.

At long last, Yor broke it: "So, what's your story?"

Her wide eyes shot up to his in surprise. "What story?"

"Well," he responded, thoughtfully, "if it was decided some time ago that you were to come here, I would have known about it before you actually showed up. Also, I've travelled across this country a few days before your arrival and hence, am positive that I've never seen the likes of you before. Though, I have heard of your name, it seems.

"So," he leaned forward slightly, "who exactly are you, Elmeida Yuri?"

~*~

"The Young Foreigner" is out now on Amazon as a Kindle ebook and paperback. If you would like to support me, then please consider buying a copy!

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

435 129 21
This isn't a typical dragon rider story that people are reading these day. It's centered around a dragon rider prince named Kasander who's a prodigy...
RISEN | ONC 2024 بواسطة Hendré Basson

الخيال (فانتازيا)

471 113 20
A boy cursed with Serpentblood. An exiled young dwarf in pursuit of his destiny. A she-elf guided by a religious prophecy. Together, they must rise...
Elements of Change بواسطة ChrisBannor

الخيال (فانتازيا)

47 6 34
When Ezo's village is lost, he leaves heartbroken but determined to make a difference in the world. Ezo has a rare magical talent but lacks a formal...
10.4K 781 184
From the 21st century, she reincarnated into an ancient era unknown to history, where everything defies her common sense. In her previous life, she a...