PART X: THE ALCHEMIST

Elmeida could see the slight confusion on Yor's face before it contorted into a look of shock.

He shook his head and said, "No, that can't be true?" His velvety voice turned husky with a note of alarm blending in. "How did that happen?"

Elmeida sighed as the memories of the previous week's events filled her mind, despite how badly she didn't want to see them again. "It all happened a week ago," she began, "the day before I arrived here, in the Kingdom of Aloris. Life was just as beautiful as it had ever been, save for my grandparents, who are perhaps even now looking down upon us from the Heavens. My parents, Jarvis, and I were preparing to leave for here, to be with Aunt Alia and Uncle John for the spring festival. This has been our tradition since long before I took life in this world."

She paused, sniffed. Yor waited patiently. The scenes around them fizzled and stopped, and they were back in the bubble of darkness.

"Then, as we were ready to leave, the Royal Army of Jermis descended upon us from nowhere and attacked our village. My parents tried to shield us by hurrying us down into the basement of our house. But after they killed our parents, they eventually found us. My brother, Jarvis, being the brave lad he'd always been, that young boy, wanted to protect me. I tried talking him out of it, but he simply wouldn't listen." Tears streamed out of her eyes and for once, she did not care that she was showing her vulnerability to a stranger; it is possible that she didn't notice, as she went on with her story: "You see, Jarvis is a master sword-fighter and had his prized sword always on hand. He had it on him that day, as well."

Her voice trembled and she stumbled over her words as she went on:

"I admit Jarvis put up a good fight. In fact, that was the best thing he had ever done in his short life and I'm proud of him. But in the end, they managed to kill him as well. I panicked but found a secret way out, and escaped to the only refuge I knew would accept me for who I am—my Aunt Alia."

Even before she realised it, she had begun to shake with fear. Yor at once leaned forward to comfort her. He didn't think she noticed, so glassy-eyed was she.

When her nerves calmed down, Elmeida gently pulled herself away from him. "Thank you," she sniffed, wiping her eyes on the sleeves of her plain brown dress before turning to face him once again. There was a small yet confidant smile on her face. "Really, thank you. You barely even know me. So, thank you."

Yor nodded. "Are you okay, though?"

"Yes, I am. Well, I will be." She cleared her throat once more. "So, that was my story. I ran and ran and ran. Used a little magic where I couldn't. Before I found my little cousins in the marketplace here in Jermis and they took me to their father. And here I am."

A long pause as he considered her words.

"So. What's your story?"

The Darkness around them faded away and they were back in the Hudson's little cottage.

"Indeed. But before that, I want to ask you something."

Elmeida nodded in assent.

"You never mentioned what happened to your sister."

"Oh," she breathed, her tone sad once more. "Well, honestly, I don't know where she is. She left us soon after Jarvis was born and I never saw her again." A look of wistfulness clouded her smile.

Yor felt a little guilty about broaching the matter now. "Well, I suppose you want to hear my story now." He cleared his throat. "I am from the Kingdom of Grant," he began, "Homeland of Merlin and the Seafarers, and the Land of Magic – as you might know. I am an alchemist, trained under the all-powerful magician, Merlin himself."

At this point, Elmeida's heart nearly ceased beating. She gaped at him, transfixed, wondering if she had heard him right. "Trained under who?" she whispered.

An understanding smile crossed his face. "Yes, I'm aware that this is hard to take in, but it's true. I was an Apprentice under Merlin himself!"

"Intriguing," she breathed. "How was it like?"

He laughed, probably finding her pensive expression fascinating. "Well, unlike your imagination, Merlin is actually as much humane as you and me. Except, obviously, for his immense Magical power. He was no doubt envied and awed by many Magicians all over Sahara."

"And, among all of them, he chose you?!"

Yor shook his head. "Oh no, that's not how it happened. As a matter of fact, he had had many a renowned Magicians as his Apprentices—the Earth-shaker of Grant, Alda, the Essence of Cordelia, Jenna, and the Singer of Cramarick, Onda."

"Indeed," admitted Elmeida, chortling at her own silliness. "That's true. Well then, you were one of the great Merlin's Apprentices?" Her delicate brows then creased as she realised that there was a piece missing in what she was hearing. "But wasn't Merlin supposed to have died a long time ago? Or, are you very, very old, Yor Castel?"

~*~

"The Young Foreigner" is out now on Amazon as a Kindle ebook and paperback. If you would like to support me, then please consider buying a copy!