Once Upon A Dream (Thranduil...

By Icelandrose08

(Completed!) When Asgard sends its princess to Middle-Earth, Odin doesn't believe that she will remember anyt... More

Prologue
Part 1- Chapter 1-The Royalty of Asgard
Chapter 2-Middle Earth
Chapter 3-Home Away From Home
Chapter 4-Royalty of Middle Earth
Chapter 5-Mirkwood Patrol
Chapter 6-Loki's Little Sister
Chapter 7-Treacherous Waters
Chapter 8-Black Apologies
Chapter 9-Blue Winter
Chapter 10-Different but The Same
Chapter 11-Letters to Asgard
Chapter 12-Spiders and Songs of Thanks
Chapter 13-Elven Afternoon Tea
Chapter 14-A Mother Never Forgets
Chapter 15-Valadhiel, Queen of Mirkwood
Chapter 17-The Dance of the Elven People
Chapter 18-The Last Year
Chapter 19-Return to Asgard
Chapter 20-Dancing with Kings and Troubles with Princes
Chapter 21-The Asgardian Games
Chapter 22-Namaarie
Part 2- Chapter 23-The 'Little Pair'
Chapter 24-I Swear
Chapter 25-To Jotunheim
Chapter 26-As the World Falls Down
Chapter 27- Bloody Sunday
Chapter 28- In Between Dreams
Chapter 29- Will Power
Chapter 30- Tales of Times Past
Chapter 31- You're Not the Only One
Chapter 32- Awakening Love
Chapter 33- Passion and Aggression
Chapter 34- Of Myths and Lies
Chapter 35- Family Sins
Chapter 36- Where Hope Waits

Chapter 16-The Falling and the Flying

1.4K 58 7
By Icelandrose08

News of the dwarves escaping from Thranduil's dungeons spread quickly, and catching them had turned out to be a failure. Instead, the elves found that they had caught a company of orcs instead, tracking the dwarves, hoping to kill them.

The elven soldiers had brought in a surviving orc from the attack that morning, and presently, he knelt before the king, his hands, or claws according to Catalina, tied and his throat against Legolas' knife. Catalina stood next to Tauriel, watching the hideous creature growl at her feet.

"Out there, in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads as a shadow that grows in the dark, a sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time, all fowl things come forth." Said the elven king, his hands behind his back, his steps slow and taunting.

"You were tracking a company of thirteen dwarves. Why? What is Thorin Oakenshield to you?" Asked Legolas.

The orc did not answer, his eyes glued on Catalina. "You are not an elf," he said.

"Answer my question orc. Speak!" Legolas dug his blade into the orc's throat.

"The dwarf runt, will never be king."

"Ha, king? There is no king under the mountain nor will there ever be, none would dare enter Erebor whilst the dragon lives."

The orc's eyes followed Catalina as she stared at him with stone eyes.

"You smell of the smoke of Jotunheim." He growled as she met his eyes. "You have it running in your blood."

"I hope you choke on it." Catalina stared back at him, bluffing, her knife poised and her hand itching to cut him to pieces. But her insides began churning, her fears getting the better of her.

"No, it is you that will be choking on it. You are afraid. You will die because of it."

"I would not antagonize her," warned Legolas, seeing the murderous look in Catalina's eyes.

"You like to kill things Orc? Do you like the smell of death? Do you love the sight of it?" She asked, her voice low and at a whisper.

The orc smiled and ran his tongue along his teeth, a low growl emanating from his throat.

"Then you may have it," Catalina lunged at him with her knife, intent on killing him. But before she had the chance to slice him in half, she felt hands catch her shoulders firmly and stop her.

"Manwathiel, vano toawaya, sii, (step away now.)" Thranduil's voice stopped her.

Catalina stood up slowly, backing away from the orc. A picture suddenly flashed through her mind of a young elven man holding her back from something; another elven woman, the one she had seen when she had touched the ice years before.

A hiss from the orc quickly brought her back to the present as he looked at her with revulsion. Catalina stood straighter as the king's hands released her and she began walking away. As she passed the orc she spit, the saliva landing on the orc's face and corroding the skin; one of the more vulgar powers she had acquired over time. She left the throne room and headed outside the gates, not bothering to listen to the rest of the interrogation.

She sighed as she left, trying to make sense of things. What had it all meant? Thranduil had called her Manwathiel. As she thought about the name, another picture flickered before her eyes: armor with elvish designs and two long swords.
Catalina shook her head, trying to figure it all out. Manwathiel was an elven translation of her name, Catalina, but had never been used by anyone until now. Why was this?

Manwathiel.

Manwathiel.

The picture of a young girl and a young elven man flashed once again in her mind. This time, he held her close to him, his lips touching hers. He had long blonde hair partially tied back. She had dark brown hair, braided the way Catalina's had been braided for the festival. Then the picture vanished, and Catalina could not recall it back.
What is this?

Manwathiel.
Nothing came to her mind.
Manwathiel.

Catalina repeated it, saying it out loud now, urging the scenes to come back.

Manwathiel!
She kept saying it, desperately now, yet nothing came. She could not recall.

The forest was silent as she walked alone, no tree swayed and no bird sang.

Catalina shook he head, confused and frustrated, wondering how in the nine realms could she not understand what was happening to her?

"Catalina!"

The sound of her name relieved her, and she turned to see Legolas jogging toward her.

"Why did you leave the gates?"

"I needed to try and cool off. What happened?"

"Ada decapitated the wretched beast. Its body is being disposed of as of now."

Catalina nodded, glad the disgusting thing was dead.

"Are you alright?" Asked Legolas, as he saw an empty look inside of Catalina's eyes.

"I'm alright." She suddenly stopped, an odd sound catching her attention.

"I hear it too," Legolas pulled out an arrow and pulled his bow.

Catalina quickly struck with her sword as an orc lunged out of the darkness and went for Legolas. She stabbed him, but his hand knocked her backward and she stumbled back.

"Legolas move!" She flung a knife and caught the orc in the head, just in time.

Another orc rushed upon her, and she dodged and rolled backward, but the ground gave way, and she found herself on the edge of a cliff.

"Catalina!" Legolas ran to save her, his arm outstretched, but as he reached her, her grip was lost and she fell. "No!" Legolas screamed helplessly as he watched her fall.

Catalina breathed heavily, trying to catch her breath as she fell, her heart racing as she watched the ground come nearer. But she realized she could do nothing more. So she closed her eyes, waiting for the impact that would cause her death.

But that fatal blow never came. Instead, Catalina was thrust upwards, as an opening parachute would do. But there was no parachute. Catalina opened an eye, still staring at the ground below, now drawing farther away. She looked up and saw two big wings, black and white, like a butterfly's wings.

She suddenly shot up, high above where Legolas stood, and began to fall again, and she realized whose wings were carrying her: her own.

Catalina came to a rolling, sliding, and scraping stop on the forest floor, shaking and hyperventilating. Legolas rushed toward her and stopped in front of her.

"Are you alright?" He asked blankly, not exactly knowing what to say.

"I don't think so," Catalina's body shook violently as pain shot through her right leg. She felt the enormous wings begin to fold, and she grimaced as they disappeared.

Legolas suddenly fell in front of her and embraced her, his breathing heavy and his grip tight.

"I thought you would die."

Catalina returned his embrace and held him tight.

"I'm never going outside again," she laughed hysterically, and Legolas joined her.

"I doubt that will last long."

"It won't."

The pair laughed some more until Catalina's pain in her leg drove them both back to the elven kingdom.

"What happened?" Tauriel gasped and helped Catalina limp back to her room.

"I fell," said the princess.

Tauriel looked at her in confusion, but left Catalina's statement be.

"What on earth have you done?" Veryangole's harsh voice caught the three warriors by surprise.

The king and his advisor came toward them, Veryangole looking quite annoyed and King Thranduil looking somewhere between confused and panicked.

"I fell," Catalina replied. The three kept on going, Catalina hoping the pair would accept her excuse and move on, but they did not.

"Where are you hurt Princess?" King Thranduil asked, looking her up and down, his eyes coming to a stop on her right leg.

"I hurt my leg. I think I might have sprained it. I doubt it is as bad as I am making it out to be though."

The king shook his head and sighed. Then, to the surprise of everyone, he lifted Catalina up and carried her to her room.

"My lord?"

"Walking on a hurt leg makes it harder for it to heal," replied the king simply.

Catalina blinked and saw the king's face change. It was suddenly younger, his hair shorter and partially tied back. Suddenly it was gone and he was the same.

The king set her softly on her bed, Legolas and Tauriel crowding to be sure Catalina was alright.
"Did you have something on your mind Highness?" Asked the king, who had caught Catalina staring at him in an intense way.

"No my lord," she turned her eyes downward at her hands. The young elf man she was seeing was Thranduil

"Thank you my lord," Catalina remembered her manners and thanked the king for carrying her to her room.

"It's alright. Heal soon My Lady." He said and left, pulling Legolas and Tauriel out of the room with him.

"What have you gone and done to yourself now young lady?" Asked Iellwen, almost rhetorically.

"I fell," said Catalina, and they left it at that.

*******

About a week later Catalina was up and wandering once again about the forest. One morning, as she and Legolas found themselves alone, he pulled her aside.

"Show me your wings again."

Catalina stood in front of him for a moment, wondering how on earth she had flown in the first place. Where had the wings come from?

She closed her eyes trying to remember her fall, and what it all felt like: the wind rushing, the air pushing her toward the ground and the fear of death.

She felt a breaking in her spine, but there was no pain with it. She heard the wings open, and she focused on their movement. She flapped them once, then twice.

"What exactly do they look like Legolas? What do you see?"

"I see wings like that of a butterfly. They're white with various black markings, and the edges are like the blade of a sword. They're sharp," He said as he brushed his thumb against the edges. "It would not be wise to stand here when you beat your wings."

Catalina turned to face him, and flapped the large but delicate looking wings again.

"I don't know what to say," she shook her head in dismay. Which side of the family had she gotten this from? "I'll be back in a minute," she said and propelled herself into the air, the wings giving her a sense of liberty.
She was quickly getting to know the rhythm and movements of her spine, the right positions to be in, and the right times to adjust.

She laid her wings flat, letting the wind carry her down to earth. She then folded the wings away, and they were gone.

"How and when did you get this ability?" Asked Legolas, staring at her, puzzled.

"I have not a clue how, but when I fell was when I discovered it." Catalina shrugged and the pair continued walking along. They would say nothing for the rest of the patrol, silently both confused, asking their own questions in their minds.
How?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 2.2K 54
What if Thor and Loki had another older sister besides Hela? Introducing Destiny Odinsdottir, the Goddess of Life and the older sister of Thor and Lo...
28K 936 34
(Loki X Reader) [COMPLETED] y/n, princess of Etiof, arrives on Asgard as a child after escaping from her kingdom, helped by one of her mother's ladie...
198 13 3
Loki meets his match in more ways than one. But will being too much alike destroy everything? Or will one of them finally submit? TW: my stories are...
4.2K 81 6
*NO LONGER UPDATING* WARNING: 18+ SMUT/LOVESTORY Loki Laufeyson x Reader (Y/N) After noticing a rather attractive woman in the lift up to stark's pen...