ARC10

By LLMontez

[Book 1 of the ARC10 Trilogy] **Winner of the 2017 Watty Storysmith award** The President created an undergro... More

Author's Note
The President's Welcome
Part I Chapter 1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 2
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 3
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 3.4
Chapter 4
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 4.3
Chapter 4.4
Chapter 5
Chapter 5.2
Chapter 5.3
Chapter 5.4
Chapter 5.5
Chapter 6
Chapter 6.2
Chapter 7
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 7.3
Chapter 8
Chapter 8.2
Chapter 8.3
Chapter 8.4
Chapter 9
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 9.3
Chapter 10
Chapter 10.2
Chapter 10.3
Chapter 10.4
Chapter 11
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 11.3
Chapter 11.4
Chapter 12
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 12.3
Chapter 12.4
Chapter 13
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 13.3
Chapter 13.4
Chapter 14
Chapter 14.2
Chapter 14.3
Chapter 14.4
Chapter 15
Chapter 15.2
Chapter 15.3
Chapter 16
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 16.3
Chapter 17
Chapter 17.2
Chapter 17.3
Chapter 18
Chapter 18.2
The President's Interlude
Part II - Chapter 19
Chapter 19.2
Chapter 19.3
Chapter 19.4
Chapter 19.5
Chapter 20
Chapter 20.2
Chapter 20.3
Chapter 21
Chapter 21.2
Chapter 21.3
Chapter 22
Chapter 22.2
Chapter 23
Chapter 23.2
Chapter 24
Chapter 24.2
Chapter 24.3
Chapter 25
Chapter 25.2
Chapter 26
Chapter 26.2
Chapter 26.3
Chapter 27
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 28
Chapter 28.2
Chapter 29
Chapter 29.2
Chapter 30
Chapter 30.2
Chapter 31
Chapter 31.2
Chapter 32
Chapter 32.2
Chapter 32.3
Chapter 32.4
The President's Concession
Extras
Cover Art Evolution
See you in HMS VALEDICTION

Chapter 6.3

2.8K 291 34
By LLMontez

"'Morning, Kiddo," Simon yawns as he traverses the Sink, tying his apron around his front as he goes.

The day officially commences. The doors open to reveal the first wave of patrons.

Reality punches me in the chest when the last person I want meet limps up to the bar. Beaten and looking fairly shaken, is Kai.

I stumble back in a surge of shame.

"You told me you weren't contracted," he accuses as I stare at my hands.

"You never told me if you were," I throw back at him. Despite being the most pathetic phrase I've ever said, frantic adrenaline drags me forward. "For all I know, you're just as contracted as I am."

Yes. This is a stupid comeback. I hear it as soon as the words swivel through the air between us. Obviously, it wasn't he who was dragged away and coerced to be with someone else.

"I don't get my partner until later this year. You know how it works. I'm such an idiot. . . Of course, you're contracted." He shakes his head, his dark hair hanging in loose drawstrings over his eyes.

"If it makes any difference, I'm sorry."

"Tell that to my thirty-six stitches and third-degree burns."

With steady control, I compel myself to look at him. To see the damage I've caused. I can't do it. I catch the semi-dried blood stains on his linen shirt before averting my gaze to the floor.

"I knew it was too good to be true," he whispers.

Simon emerges from the kitchen, wiping his hands on a white cloth. "Nika, if Mitch comes by today, tell him I'm done with his cheese deals, I—" His eyes rake over Kai's bruised face, my hunched back, and my lowered eyes.

In seconds, my dad has come to the right conclusion. He drops his hands to his sides as he heads back into the kitchen. Before he disappears behind the doors, he quietly waves me over.

How the hell is Simon, a man who has fumbled through a myriad of parenting missteps in his unplanned fathering career, going to handle this little gem?

As soon as we're behind the swinging doors he circles his four-fingered hand around my arm and pulls me toward him in a tight, lung-crushing embrace. He pats my back and squeezes me tighter, holding my head closer to his. I melt into his warmth and the smell of the kitchen, two sensory comforts I'm well acquainted with.

"I'm so sorry, Honey," he says, his voice cracking slightly. "I'm so unbelievably sorry."

"It's fine," I say reassuringly into his shirt. I hope I sound confident through my petrified chattering. I'm a little girl again—a tiny punk with a lopsided ponytail and a pair of slate-gray overalls. I'm collapsing back into his little girl, and I let myself be scared and lost again as he holds me up.

"When you didn't come home last night, I didn't think anything of it. I knew you must have been out, but I didn't know . . . I would have . . ."

"Oh, no, please. I would have died knowing you were watching, too."

When I'm pressed against his chest like this, I can hear his sigh choke on a growl.

I reassure him. "It's done, though. I don't need to worry about that again for a while," I reassure myself.

"I hate to ask, but how's Dean?"

"Fine, I guess."

"Who's the kid outside?"

"Reprieve."

He laughs a little and holds me at arm's length to squeeze my shoulders one last time. His fingers wrap themselves precariously close to the bruises from the Maroon Coat's strong grip from the night before.

Dean's hands were there too last night. It was a similar grip, but a strong and gentle one. It fooled me into believing I could trust him again.

But as much churning blame as I have for Dean, there is nothing except red-hot loathing for those bastards in the Maroon Coats. No amount of anger toward Dean could even come close to the absolute hatred I have for those wielding their petri dishes and jerking off behind the window.

"Can I make you something?"

I shake my head ruefully and return the squeeze on his arms.

I squeeze his arms to let him know I'm okay, and I will move forward.

I squeeze his arms to let him know I got this.

I have one wish—the total immolation of the HHP.

Hand me a lead pipe and an hour alone in the lab. That might perk me up a bit.

"I should probably go talk to him," I say, heading back toward the door. He smiles briefly and brings my face close to kiss me right on the forehead.

When I enter the bar area again, Kai is gone.

I breathe a small sigh of relief.

My PAHLM vibrates.

[Incoming Message: PHAYOMO]

MY OFFICE -- NOW

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 775 17
Special Agent Alyssa Caine has been tasked with the most important mission of her life: the assassination of the man who would bring about the end of...
3.5K 665 51
A dystopian young adult novel involving romance, secret experiments on human subjects, and a group of teenagers' will to survive. Reader Comments: "...
61.4K 3.3K 34
After the Ship Masters arrive Violet seizes her chance to experience life beyond the Farm. She learns that a planet nestled in the stars is waiting f...
355 23 17
# I will stop publishing my story on wattpad because I'm worried about plagiarism. The world has been destroyed. All that remains is the Ark, and in...