Change

By Matsukitty

Would you still look at me the same way as you do currently, if you knew what I was on the inside? What I'm c... More

Chapter One: Mornings Suck
Chapter Two: Jazmine
Chapter Three: Birthday
Chapter Four: Murder
Chapter Five: Following the Trail
Chapter Six: The Question of Sanity
Chapter 8: The Day Without the Nerd

Chapter 7: Knowing Her Past

6 2 0
By Matsukitty

Azlyn didn't move until a few loud rings from her phone tore her out of the bliss known as sleep. She crawled to her phone, falling face first when she stumbled over her stack of college textbooks she liked to read occasionally. She reached up to the table, and pulled her phone off. She didn't even bother to look at the caller ID before she answered it.

"Yeah?" She spoke, tired, frustrated, and sad all rolled into a one voice.

"Az? Oh good, I was hoping you'd answer!" Jazmine squealed. "You know, I was having second thoughts about calling you so late, but-"

"Look, Jaz, I appreciate your concern, but-"

"You're always up so late, so I thought to myself, 'If course she'll answer-"

"Jaz, again, I appreciate it, but-"

"If you're wondering how I got your number, your mom gave it to me awhile back. Man, have you seen what my name on your phone is? I took it, also awhile back, and programmed me into it! The name took so long to think of, and-"

"Jazmine!" Azlyn finally rose her voice. She couldn't tell yet. "My best friend just got murdered, I've been sleeping on the floor, and you called me at-" Azlyn glanced at the clock. "-4:37 in the freaking morning. Now: Why the fuck did you wake me up...?"

"Girl, why do you think? I don't want you sulking. We definitely need to talk, considering Kylee just died, and you turned into a dog right in front of me, and a wolf-"

Azlyn coughed to end the sentence.

"You were obviously hallucinating, considering I can't do that. No one can. Now, please do continue to grace me with your explanation about why you are calling me at 4:37, 4:39 now, in the morning."

"Do you not realize that it's Halloween?"

"Considering that Kylee was the one I always celebrated that holiday with, I don't want to do it." Azlyn ran her hands through her bangs, tears threatening to fall, almost touching her cheek. Kylee would never be there celebrate anything with her again.

"Girl, this is my favorite holiday, and I need someone to celebrate with. Congratulations, you're our lucky winner!"

"You are aware that I have no costume, right?"

Jazmine gasped.

"You're lucky I have extras, what are you doing not having a Halloween costume, I mean, seriously-"

Azlyn smiled. "I'm being sarcastic. I mean, you hung out with Kylee all the time. Do you really think I don't have one, Jaz? Kyles made me make one practically on October first. She was always big on Halloween..."

Jazmine squealed into the phone. "Good. Now, come over to change at my house. You can take a shower there too. You know where my house is. My bedroom's on the top floor, and I'll leave a light on."

"I have no choice about this, do I?"

"No, you do not. See you at mine in a few!"

Azlyn groaned, and ran her hands over her face. "Fine."

She then ended the call. Glancing at the screen, she noticed the Caller ID; [Insert Music Here].

Azlyn couldn't help but laugh at Jazmine's chosen name.

She threw the homemade wolf costume into her favorite bag, the one she had made herself, that had 'LOL BYE' imprinted onto it.

Azlyn left a note on the table saying that she was gone to Jazmine's, and her mom and dad shouldn't worry about her. She walked outside, where Ace was stretched out across the grass. He pricked his ears when he heard the teen walking across the lawn. He walked over to the girl, and nuzzled her hand slightly.

"Yeah, Ace, I think goes without saying that your coming with me. I can't leave without you anyway, you follow me."

Ace snuffed in acrimony, but walked along Azlyn anyway. Together, they walked for a bit, until Azlyn decided that she didn't want to walk two legs for a while. She morphed into a wolf that matched Ace, and they jogged along the sidewalk towards Jazmine's house.

Azlyn and Ace speed outside a mansion like house, where Azlyn turned back into a girl, and leaned down to pet Ace.

"I'm gonna need you to stay out here for awhile, bud. I'll get you when we're ready."

Ace growled a bit at this, but laid on the ground anyway, distending his body across the damp plants.

Azlyn draped her bag over her shoulder, and transformed into a small cat. She launched herself into the tree, clinging onto it with her claws. She eventually landed on Jazmine's window ledge. She turned back into a girl, crouching to keep her fragile balance. She rapped lightly on the door, waiting for Jazmine to open it. The teen came around the corner, and looked taken aback by the sight of a girl on her window rim. 

She yanked open the window, and Azlyn crawled in, landing like a cat. She stood up, and slid off the bag.

"Jeez, took you long enough, I've been on that window edge for the past thirty minutes."

Jazmine shot her a sarcastic smile, but noticed her serious face.

"No kidding?"

"Yeah, I mean, you called me, and I only pretended to be in my room. Also, your window is pretty sound proof, congrats."

Jazmine gave her a weird look.

"I mean it. I was here. I love the concept of sleep. Especially watching people sleep, it fascinates me to no end. You fall into a condition of body and mind which occurs for several hours every night, the nervous system is relatively inactive, your eyes are closed, the postural muscles are relaxed, and consciousness is suspended, allowing me to watch without being disturbed. I also love camouflage, the concept of observing without detected by the scrutinizing eyes of society."

She said all this without blinking her eyes. Jazmine backed away.
"Are you going all Twilight on me?"

Azlyn laughed, and bent down to pick her bag.

"Glad you get the joke. People are normally freaked out after that."

Jaz glanced down the hallway for a second, then back to Azlyn. 

"Hey, I gotta go change, you can explore my room a bit if you'd like." Jazmine left, leaving Azlyn alone in the giant room.

The walls were black, the notebooks were black, pretty much everything was black. Jazmine liked the non-color very much, that was clear.

"Jaz, why is everything black?" Azlyn yelled down the hall.

"I like the color!" She yelled back.

"Black's not a color. Black absorbs all the colors of the visible spectrum and reflects none of them to the eyes. White, however, is a color, for it reflects light-"

"It's too early for this shit! Stop spouting nerd speak, and let me change. We need to hurry up, we have to go to school."

Azlyn groaned. She forgot about school. She had wanted to stay home, but that clearly wasn't an option with Jazmine around. Azlyn resumed studying Jazmine's wall. Along it were posters of pretty much everything you'd think a teenage girl would like. Famous bands, singers, games, things like that. Mostly Suicide Squad and Deadpool.

Laying on her desk was the latest mac computer, and a laptop. Next to it on the floor was an Ipad, and the aforementioned notebooks. Azlyn had never really been known to be snoopy, but Jazmine was just interesting as a whole. She was mysterious, like Azlyn herself. In fact, the two girls had a lot in common. Both never told people anymore than they need to know. Jazmine had many notebooks; one for studying, one for random thoughts, one for making drawings, and one was her dream journal. The teen had conveniently labeled them for any passerby to discern.

The one thing Azlyn was truly jealous about was the mini library located in the corner of the room. It was loaded with books, and very carefully sorted. Jazmine apparently loved to read. The heterochromic teen wandered around, admiring the other sections of the room, until she noticed a section of the wall that looked out of place compared to everything in Jazmine's neat room. When Azlyn pushed it, it was dislodged, so she attempted to move it more.

It slid off easily. Setting the entity aside, she shifted an object out towards her. Another black notebook, but this looked more like a journal.

While walking with it, staring at it curiously, Azlyn stumbled over a box. When she crouched, and lifted the lid, it revealed a variety of pills lined against the side. Prescription pills for severe depression, uncontrolled panic attacks and severe anxiety. Azlyn had caught her cutting, but this was a whole new level. Going back to the journal, she flipped open the cover. The title page was interesting.

Property of Jazmine K. Rivero. BACK OFF! NO PUSSIES ALLOWED!

Azlyn chuckled. Jazmine K. Rivero? Interesting... Apparently this was her diary. It was filled with stickers of a varieties. The curiosity was just too great, and Azlyn found herself opening the diary, and reading a few pages.

October 30, 2014 6:30 am
Dear diary:
Today is my birthday! Im so excited! This morning, my aunt woke me up with a cardboard Eiffel tower and a huge banner saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRINCESS. She handed me this diary, and told me she loved me. I was so happy.

Then it had a picture of a younger Jazmine smiling at the camera her aunt was probably holding. Azlyn smiled, and continued reading.

October 30, 2014 3:30 pm
Dear diary:
You know how I was so happy? Yeah, no. It was the worst birthday ever! Today at school, they accused me of stealing something that I didn't steal. They ended up rummaging through my stuff. Luckily, they didn't find anything, because I didn't steal! But then, my dad came to school and hit me multiple times in the face and then kicked my ribs after I feel down. When I got home, I had to face his wrath and it wasn't pretty. I ended up with black and purple bruises all over my face and body. I will never celebrate my birthday ever again.

Wow. Jazmine's life was pretty much shit. Azlyn glanced at the clock. Almost 5:00 am. Azlyn thought she should put away Jaz's diary, but then she saw a marked page. She flipped it open, and against her better judgement, started to read the entry.

November 15, 2015
Dear diary:
Today, I just don't know how to express myself. Especially right now. Mom just died of cancer in her breasts, the most common cancer in females. My dad is off drinking somewhere, my sister is crying in her room and my grandparents are calling my family members telling them the news. I remember when my mom used to call me vampire because I was obsessed with them. I really miss mom. She was the one that kept me safe. I still have her necklace, the golden, diamond encrusted necklace. Dad always thought that it was too expensive a girl like me, buy mom thought I it. Everyone always say that I resemble my mother; her eyes, hair, personality, but most of all, I resemble her talent. Her passion for singing and dancing. I never knew what mom saw in dad. She was wonderful; he's shit.
R.I.P
Eve M. Rivero

September 16, 2015
Dear diary:
Today, I got the news. My father killed himself. I mean, I was glad he did, but now I truly have no one. Amethyst went missing. Zayn saw her last, but he swears he didn't do anything. I got a letter today. It said this:
The debt was paid, but I want everything that I made back. 1 down, 3 to go.
   -K
I'm scared.

Azlyn continued to a recent, half written entry, not noticing Jazmine call to her in a faint voice. 

September 23, 2016
Dear diary:
Azlyn is wonderful. I still believe that has a secret, but she acts pretty normal. Amethyst has been missing for a year now. I was considering asking Azlyn to help me about that mysterious letter, but I decided it. I hope Kylee doesn't figure out my secret, cause I think she knows Azlyn's. Azlyn's helped me with some stuff, so I hope this friendship works out. Kylee

"Azlyn? You want to see my cat costume?"

Azlyn panicked, and shoved the notebook back into the section of wall. She fit the wall piece back into its place, and leaned up against it.

"Yeah, Jaz, show me!"

Jazmine walked in, a costume cat tail trailing behind her. She looked really pretty, and I whistled.

"Wow. You look great."

"Thanks babe, but why are you leaning against my wall?"

At that moment, the fake wall section fell off, clattering against floor of Jazmine's room. Azlyn want the best actor, do when she tried to play it off, it didn't exactly go well.

"My gosh, Jazmine, your wall is like, really...weak and stuff and I... totally didn't see that, and your room is... uhhhhhhhh...... great looking, and your posters are... you know... there... and, on the wall... and now I understand why my acting teacher hated me..."

Jazmine's face has gotten progressively angrier as Azlyn tried to pass the blame off.

"You went thought my stuff, didn't you, Az?"

Azlyn opened her mouth, and at that exact moment, the journal slipped out.

"You read my journal, didn't you?"

"Maybe..."

Jazmine huffed, and moved Azlyn out of the way. She slid the diary back into the compartment, and covered it with the piece of square wall.

"I normally hate people that go through my stuff, but your my really good friend. You also understand me, so I'm gonna let it slid, but don't do it again. Go change."

Azlyn grabbed her bag, and gave Jaz a hug on the way out. When she was in the bathroom, she slipped on her black outfit. Instead of costume parts, Azlyn was able to grow wolf ears, paws and claws, and tail easily. Her costume was complete. She walked out to Jazmine's, and the two went to walk to school, Ace trotting alongside.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.1K 4K 37
"My Master"one of the worst game they have ever played,your role is a Butler and only a Butler taking care of one of the many masters in a big house...
16.4K 939 23
''မွေ့အတိတ်ဘဝဆိုတာကိုယုံလား''
43.5K 1.1K 20
To some, she was just another princess who was kind, generous and had ethereal beauty. To the smallfolk, she was a dream and too good to share blood...
186K 19.3K 28
Dragonwall's queen no longer remembers who she is. Her magic is locked away at the hands of an evil sorcerer. Kane hoped to deal the drengr monarchy...