The Legacy of Mount Drood

By lyttlejoe

A kingdom's secret is protected down through generations of two families who must unite to keep estranged mem... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 5

46 12 3
By lyttlejoe

Jep awoke just before dawn. The fire was dead and he felt the dampness from the ground seeping into his joints. He sat up and looked around in confusion— Derrick was gone. Jumping up, he quickly checked his pack, relaxing slightly when he saw that the box with the key was still safe, and then he began a brief exploration of the area. Dolly's reluctant tracks led toward the forest and Jep followed cautiously.

Under the umbrella of the huge trees, the light was dim and eerily pale. An opaque mist rose up from the thick vegetation covering the forest floor. Jep paused, turning slowly and straining to hear any sound of life. Just as he stepped forward once more, Derrick's voice whispered in his ear.

"Good morning, Master Waterford. Sleep well?" Jep jerked so suddenly with surprise, he felt his neck crack and he staggered back cursing. "Tch, tch, such language from a gentleman."

"You scared the life out of me, you idiot. What's going on? Why did you leave me back there?"

Derrick took his arm and steered him to the edge of the tree line, pointing at a faraway hill. "That sliver of smoke is from a campfire. I'm familiar with most of the denizens of this area and none build a fire that large in the dawn hours. Whoever it is, is a stranger to these parts and strangers are to be treated with suspicion. I was just moving Dolly away from the river into the shade. She tends to start braying when the sun rises."

Jep looked at his new friend and grimaced. "It could be soldiers from Graf following me."

"Following Master Waterford, or perhaps someone of another name?"

"Let's just say, Waterford for now." Jep smiled weakly. "I must find my way to Dyst as soon as possible. Will you help me?"

Derrick scratched his bearded chin, watching the wispy smoke climb high into the morning sky. "Derrick Kriss does not like having any truck with soldiers and Dyst is opposite to where I'm headed."

Jep nodded. "I understand, but could you at least give me good direction so that I may get there quickly."

"Not so fast, Master Waterford. I didn't say no, I was just expressing my concerns. This has all the earmarks of a good adventure and it's been some time since I've enjoyed some excitement. Of course, my decision would be much easier if I new why you think you're being followed."

Jep stared at the innocent expression, his thoughts tumbling through his mind. Trust no one, his father had warned, yet he knew that at some point that's exactly what he would have to do. His problem was deciding if this was that point.

"Decision time, Jep," Derrick said, indicating with a tilt of his head the hill where the smoke had been. "Our friends are on the move."

*****

Hella returned to her chamber from the guardhouse, seething with fury. Not only had the stubborn woman not answered her questions, she'd actually defied her. It would be her last act, Hella gloated, if Consiflore's men could get nothing from her by this evening, she would be dragged from her cell and hurled from the castle tower into the courtyard. It never hurt to set examples to her subjects.

It would be necessary to keep King Hugh busy elsewhere in the castle. She seated herself on the lounge and snapped open her fan, waving it angrily and then shouted loudly for her maid. The large studded door swung inward and a slight, pretty girl bowed her way in, hands clasped subserviently in front.

"Come closer you silly girl." Hella snapped. "I want you to find my husband's valet and send him to me at once."

"Yes, M'lady." The maid left swiftly and gladly.

Hurrying through the great hall, past the heavily draped windows that overlooked the main courtyard, Mary took little notice of the huge, ugly portraits adorning the walls, or the elegant but dusty furniture that lined her avenue of approach to the wing of the castle where King Hugh liked to stay.

She pushed through another set of big doors, past the palace guards, who managed to put a flush in her cheeks with their comments, and up the curving stone staircase to the royal quarters. William turned at the sound of her footsteps on the stones and ran to meet her, embracing and steering her back into an alcove out of sight of the royal bedroom.

"Shhh! The king is sitting up reading by the fire." He smiled and held her arms, admiring her flushed beauty. "Did you run all this way just to see me?" He teased.

"The Queen wants you in her quarters—immediately."

"Why?"

"I know not, but she is in her usual mood so you'd best hurry." Mary leaned closer, pleased to have William holding her near him. He made a face at the request, guided Mary back against the wall, leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. Their world suspended for a moment in the bliss of the embrace then Mary pushed him away, smiling and apologizing. The Queen was not one to be kept waiting.

"Will I see you later," William asked, returning down the stairs with Mary.

"I hope to attend the dance in the market tonight," she smiled shyly.

"Since no one else would dare go out with you, I assume that's an invitation for me to take you."

She slapped his arm in mock anger and stepped back as they reached the hall. The guards had enough to gossip about without giving them more fuel.

"Until tonight," she whispered.

*****

"There was a camp here, Captain, but it was more than one person." The soldier looked up to Gar, still seated on his horse.

"How many?"

"More than one, sir. Probably just two"

"How long ago?" Gar steadied his mount, staring off into the trees. A soft, grey mist still lingered like a maiden's skirt around the trunks.

"Maybe half a day. I think they headed west, through the forest." The soldier straightened up, kicking at the dead fire embers.

Gar dismounted, handed the reins to the soldier then struck him viciously in the face. Hovering over the fallen man, he growled his displeasure. "Probably? Maybe? You think? Even with one eye, I can see it was two people and a mule drawn wagon, you stupid idiot. And as for the direction, it is through the forest." He snatched back the reins and remounted his horse, setting the hooves prancing dangerously close to the soldier's head. "Get up, oaf, and find the trail quickly or don't return."

The rest of the band dispersed to check in both directions along the river's edge in case the trail was a decoy. Soon they were picking their way, single file, through the dense woods. The horse's hooves pounded the ferns and pine needles into the loamy soil sending an ominous drum beat of sound echoing through the woods. Gar's impatience was growing with each pause to check for signs and his men became uncomfortable, smarting under his sharp commands and insults.

A few hours ahead of the pursuing soldiers, Jep and Derrick emerged from the forest onto a rocky hillside that ran down to a deep valley floor. Stunted pines and rough scrub dotted the path down, and Dolly shied and complained at the loose gravel under her nervous hooves. From their vantage point, Dyst appeared to have slid down the slopes of the valley and landed in a jumble of debris that formed the village.

Everything looked dark and dirty. Smoke rose from dozens of fires within the soot covered structures and Jep could make out the slow, plodding steps of some inhabitants as they moved about the rock-strewn streets.

"Why is this place so dark and dirty?" Jep steadied himself by hanging onto Dolly on the way down.

"It's from the rock that burns." Derrick answered. "They chop a black rock from the hillside and use it for their fires. It burns a long time and is quite hot and it also provides light but it's a filthy substance."

Jep contained his surprise, considering the parallel with the magic stones, one clean, bright and healthy, the other dirty black, and both providing similar properties. Derrick stopped at the bottom of the hill and pointed into the village.

"I won't be going in there but if you are, the place you want is just past that structure with the yellow sign. It's the home of the town council."

"Why aren't you coming?"

"The Dysts don't get much fresh meat living here, and poor Dolly wouldn't last but a moment." Derrick nodded authoritatively and held out his hand. "Good luck, Master Jep. Remember, those following are not that far behind."

"You're leaving!"

"I helped you to get here. That's what you asked is it not? I was up for an adventure but you kept your reasons to yourself, so..."

Jep shrugged, "Well, I guess... yes. I just thought... well, anyway, thank you Derrick. It was a great pleasure meeting and traveling with you."

"Make haste now. We must both be out of sight quickly. Perhaps our paths will cross another day." He grasped Jep's hand and gave it a firm shake then gathered the reins and hauled Dolly away, moving rapidly across the dusty valley.

Jep watched him for a bit, a small lump filling his throat, then he inhaled deeply and set off for the village. A grey dust covered everything; the cobbled streets lay coated in moist grime that clung to the soles of Jep's boots. The entire village seemed to be in black and white; there was no colour to speak of anywhere.

With his white skin, free of the grimy dust that covered the inhabitants, he felt awkward and self-conscious as he passed along the roadway. The yellow sign identified a forlorn looking tavern and just beyond stood an ugly, single storey, stone building with a worn sign that read, Dyst Council House.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

261 75 36
They had their secrets, they had their reasons and in the midst of trying to hide their secrets, they realized their oh-so-pleasant life wasn't at al...
321 6 24
Some secrets are better left secrets. At least that's what Karlie thought. Her life had a drastic change when her childhood best friend comes and sho...
173 7 41
Life isn't always a fairytale, even in a kingdom seemingly perfect. As a teen, Lindsay feels to be an outcast from the other women, while also coping...
248 48 12
*In this gray world, a man with a little imagination is the most dangerous man on Earth.* 'What is the difference between a crow and a raven?' - This...