Nothing Wrong With Being a To...

By Dostomozartsky

People say that love is in every corner... looks like Riley's been walking in circles. You see, Riley is a pr... More

Chapter 1: Bats, Punches, and Crushes
Chapter 2: Overconfident Tomboy
Chapter 3: Deal With an Imp ✔
Chapter 4: First Date ✔
Chapter 5: Little Did He Know ✔
Chapter 6: Riley Benjamin Doesn't Blush
Chapter 7: Weak Truth
Chapter 8: The Tomboy, the Player & the Wardrobe
Chapter 9: Cupid Takes Over
Chapter 10: A Night to Remember
Chapter 11: Lost in Our Hands
Chapter 12: Bad News, Good Miseries
Chapter 13: Crushed From Rolling in Woe
Chapter 14: Shanghaied By Feelings
Chapter 15: Lies and Other Agonies
Chapter 16: Loss of Bravado
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 17: A Drop of Love in the Ocean Of Hopelessness
Chapter 18: The Word Left Unsaid
Chapter 19: New Start; New Costume
Chapter 20: In Your Deadly Arms
Chapter 22: Going Out of My Head
Chapter 23: Throwaway Twofold
Chapter 24: Fraidy-cat's Nods
Chapter 25: Through Gardenias
Chapter 26: Soppy Hearts
Chapter 27: Better, Restored, Lovelier
Chapter 28: Ringed Happy Luck of Ours
Chapter 29: The Beginning of the End
Acknowledgments

Chapter 21: Rout Even

39.9K 912 250
By Dostomozartsky

“Miss Benjamin…”

Oh, I love this.

Look at her face. Her eyes are sparkling; her mouth is slight open, waiting and anticipating my words. And from the ten inches of distance, I can hear the melody her prompt, beating heart drums.

 She really missed me!

And she looked stupid and pathetic… just like I know I looked like when I told her what I felt for her.

“Yea?” she leaned a bit closer to me, her eyes darting at my lips.

This is going to be so much fun…

“Call me,” she swallowed before continuing, clearly nervous and anxious, “Riley, please.”

“Right.” My cheeks practically throbbed due to so much smirking. “Riley?”

“Y-yeah?”

“Um, you have a mayo stain there,” I pointed to her upper lip.

She grew self-conscious and immediately begun to clean her face. “Done?”

“No,” I chuckled at how naïve she was. There was no freaking mayonnaise in her hamburger, let alone the stain! “Let me help you.”

With all the purpose of the world, I used my thumb to clean the ‘stain’. While my thumb stroked her soft lip, she heaved in a nervous breath. Forcing myself to not snicker at her tenderness, I smirked at her and reclined back. Eating my burger, I flashed a smile at her pathetic self.

 She was shocked; her eyes didn’t blink; her breathing got stuck someway down her throat and by the way she clutched her stomach, I could sense that there was some kind of commotion down there.

“Hey,” I snapped my fingers at her face. “It’s gonna get cold. So eat.”

“Y-y-yes, Mr. Lukewood.”

Oh, the irony of the formality of my name!

Now grinning and standing in front of my penthouse’s skyline window panels, I replayed that scene over and over again in my head. The sun was hiding behind buildings, its auburn rays were the only evidence left of its existence. I pocketed my hands inside my grey dress pants’ pockets and grinned at the beautiful scene.

“What a day!”

Maybe Dad was right, it’s better if she’s near me. In fact, I’m having lots of fun with her. Shaking my head with a smirk, I gazed at the jewel’s advertising banner in front of me. It reminded me of the lovely discovery I made earlier. I couldn’t believe she wore the bracelet and ring I gave her. Don’t know why but I expected that she’d throw it away.

The sound of the buzzing doorbell woke me up from my thoughts. I left the beautiful midtown window view—my luxurious penthouse offered—and pressed the speaker of the doorbell.

“Yeah?” I hollered as I kept my finger pressed on the button.

“Hello, we are the crew from ‘How Celebrities Live’. It’s a TV show. We had a meeting set at this hour to record Mr. Lukewood’s life as a young business man. Is he home?” a delicate voice chirped.

Laughing, I replied, “Lora, is that you?”

“Yeah! Andy? I thought it was another person! How are you?” she replied.

“I forgot it was today, but come in, anyways,” after answering, I made my way to the doorway and opened the door. “Lora?”

After I hollered, she turned around and flew a yearning smile at me. “Hey, Andy! Wow, you look as good as you appear in the magazines.”

  “I’m not fishing for compliments here, Lora. But you look good too,” I returned the smile. “Will you give me a minute? I just have to make a call.”

“Sure,” she cheeped back. “I’ll make a call myself. I just have to wait for the camera crew to come. You know, making sure they’re not lost.”

“Okay, please, enter.” I opened the door wider and after she entered, I closed it.

“Wow, this place is incredible,” she complimented in awe. “It pays well to be a millionaire now, huh?”

The flattering question was utterly dumb but I admired her effort. “I’m not a millionaire, my dad is,” I smirked at her. “Does it pay good to be working for a P.R. company?”

“Oh, yes. I’m so happy with my job, it’s incredible!”

Marking my assistant’s number, I glanced back at Lora’s outstanding face and placed the phone beside my ear. “Just a minute.” She nodded with a smile and went to check her phone. “Yes?”

“Uh… uh… hell-o?” a yawning voice answered.

“Miss Benjamin, will you please be in my apartment in thirty minutes?” Evilly smirking, I held the phone closer. “Were you sleeping? I didn’t mean to wake you up. It’s only seven o’ clock afternoon.”

I sounded so innocent, but hell, I wanted to irk her and annoy the bull’s eyes out of her. She rejected me, now she must suffer the consequences. I would’ve evil laugh at her… but I’m not that evil.

“B-b-b-but it’s late! I have to finish those papers. I’m not even halfway through!” she objected.

“Excuses, excuses… Miss Benjamin. You can finish your work here. I just need you right now. I’ll let the door open for you. Remember, thirty minutes.”

“But I don’t know where you live!”

“Too bad,” I ended the call before she could continue to protest.

“Andy?” Lora’s voice slaughtered my amusement. “I wish I could stay, but I have to go as soon as the camera crew comes.”

“Oh, ok,” I snapped my phone shut and walked closer to her. “Um, I don’t know if it’s the right time, but we left some business unfinished, Lora.”

Lora evaded my gaze and stepped closer to the sofa. “Can I sit? Because I know this is going to be lengthy.”

“Sure,” I walked closer and sat in front of her. “Do you remember what happened before I left?”

“Yes, you found us but I swear… Andy, it wasn’t what you thought—“

“And what was I thinking?”

Nervously, she bit her lip. “That me and Ayden were together…”

“Sincerely, I don’t care if you’re with him or something happened, I just want you to tell me if you know about the Hush-Hush crap.”

“Yes, and so does Ayden,” she accused, sternly looking at me. “It’s a long story.”

“We have thirty minutes, and then in another moment we’ll finish it. Now please, continue.”

“Well… to tell you the truth, I wish we could talk about this later, since I want you to be in a good mood for the interview,” she dimly smiled.

Nodding in agreement, I replied, “Can we please not let this pass another day?”

“Okay, Andy,” she sighed.

“Just one question,” I held my hand at her, halting her movements. “Were you behind all that?”

“I admit that it was my idea to create a blogging site for us to gossip…”

“Us?”

“Yes, me, Miranda, and Colette. But I never knew she would actually do it.”

“Who?”

“Miranda.”

Rubbing my stubble, I smirked, “A name, finally. Well,” I stood up and went over the coat hanger to fish out my wallet. “I want you to do me a huge favor… for the good ol’ days.”

“Of course, Andy. It’s the least I can do,” she smiled down at her lap.

My fingers grazed a stack of bills and I made my way slowly to my previous seat. “I want you to take care of this—track down Miranda or anything that can throw down that server and site. I want proofs to sue her and maybe lock her down.”

“Whoa, Andy!” she seemed taken aback when I offered her the money. “I can’t take that!”

“Take it as a pay—.”

“No! A favor is a favor,” she started fuming but ended up smiling a kindhearted beam. “Have you forgotten who I am? The goody-two-shoes Lora?”

My smirk widened into a chuckle as I vaguely recalled our late night talks over the phone. “Miss White-Panties… I remember alright.”

“Hey! Don’t forget about Mister Barney’s boxers!” Her laugh somehow made me feel eased and relaxed. Voluntarily, I welcomed her voice and her presence—ever since I blocked her from entering again. “I miss those times… we were so childish.”

“Me too,” I glanced up to meet her eyes and we held our gazes for a long, yearning and idyllic minute. “Lora, I must apologize—“

“Don’t!” she weakly smiled. “I know I need to explain some things so I look forward to our next gathering.”

Smirking, I leaned onward, stealthily dancing with her stare. “I look forward to that meeting too.”

“Andy,” she stood up and gripped her purse closer to her.

“Yes?” I stood up as well.

“Would you mind if I called that ‘meeting’ a date?”

My eyes fell to the crystal coffee table and I nestled my fists inside my pockets. This was a sore subject—since I wasn’t planning on taking serious engagements. Riley’s smile flashed through my head and that pushed me to look back at her and nod. “I don’t mind at all. A date it is.”

“Really?” Her contagious excitement effortlessly heightened me.

Long have I felt these boyish feelings? Maybe taking a bold step into the unknown will heal some wounds. Because I’m sure than when a heart breaks, it doesn’t break even.

“What is so funny?” her glossy lips flaunted a set of perfect teeth.

“No,” I chuckled, glancing at my feet before I looked up at her flawless face. “I just remembered the first time I asked you out. I was so damn nervous.”

“I remember too! You were so skinny,” she started to giggle as I shook my head smilingly. “I thought you were going to tell me that I had dropped something but instead you said, ‘Me and you look good together eating dinner. What do ya say?’”

“At least I grew the balls to make up a pick-up line.” My comment provoked an eruption of spasms of laughs.

But they were soon interrupted by the doorbell. “That must be the crew…” she trailed off but her phone buzzed and she looked down at it. “Wait, they are stuck at traffic. I just received a text and they are asking if it’s okay to postpone the interview. I’m so sorry, Andy.”

My heart slammed faster as my brain made the math. “Of course, there’s no problem. That must be my assistant. Poor her, I made her walk to here so she could… assist me.”

“I haven’t seen you grin like that since…” she held a grimace back and forced a sweet smile. “Since we were together.”

After clearing my throat awkwardly, I yelled, “It’s unlocked, come in!”

The door slowly opened and out came a damped, small, and fragile figure. I wanted to laugh so hard, so I pressed my fist against my mouth and feigned a cough.

“H-h-hell-lo.”

Riley’s ponytail was all sprawled across her tangled, dripping, and golden hair while her teeth chattered and rattled with cadence. She hugged her black raincoat closer in order to produce heat. Droplets of water splashed on the floor harmoniously, pooling a puddle around her soaked and dirty converse.

“Just in time, Miss Benjamin,” my voice sounded chirpier than what I’d wanted it to be. But nonetheless I walked closer to her and received her. “I’m impressed by your quickness, how did you find the address?”

Riley’s blazing eyes hid anger, and they slowly rose to meet mine. Angrily, she showed me a wet magazine whose cover was a young handsome man named Andrew Lukewood, the escalating business man of the year. “You could say your fame helped me.”

“Impressive,” I muttered, feigning astonishment. Cumbersomely, I heard a third voice whispering after clearing a throat. Turning around, I saw Lora standing sideways. “Oh, sorry! Lora, you remember Miss Benjamin, right?”

“Of course. I could never forget her,” Lora said, her eyes set steadily at me while she walked closer to Riley. “How are you? It’s been a long time.”

“I’ve been better,” Riley shot me a discrete glare before glancing at Lora.

Ouch… well, I guess it’s time to have some fun, huh?

“Lora,” I stepped at her side. “You set the time and where that date is going to take off, alright?”

Lora smiled at me with shining eyes but her gaze landed on Riley and somehow, the sparkle faded. “Alright, Andy. I guess it’s time to go. Goodnight to both of you.”

Before she could exit, I seized her arm and made myself sure that we were standing in front of Riley. “Goodnight, Lora. Be careful.”

Lora glanced at Riley and then back at me. She nodded and went closer to me to deposit a lingering kiss on my cheek. “You too.”

“Goodnight,” Riley growled. “And yes, be careful because it’s raining a second flood. Oh, but thankfully, you don’t have a cruel boss that makes you drown yourself for a visit. So you’ll be okay.”

Lora shook her head, hiding a smile while I showed my smug smirk proudly. “Miss Benjamin, your sarcasm wasn’t listed as one of your faculties in your résumé—it should’ve been.”

“See ya,” Lora weakly said and left.

Gracefully, I pretended that I was still staring at the door that Lora intersected, as if I missed her already. Although I made my best to keep staring at the now closed door, my skin burned in an invisible fire that Riley’s glare seared.

“Mr. Lukewood,” she started to tap her feet, splashing water all over my wooden floor.

“Hmm?” I lazily met her glaring stare and half-smiled at her funny situation.

“What do you need me for?” I was amused at how she restrained her anger. “I’m wet, tired, sleepy, and I’m not even done with my work!”

“Oh,” I casually started to walk deeper to the room, “they canceled the interview, so I guess you can go home now.”

“Ah!” she groaned and headed closer to where I was. “I just wanted to tell you that your house is beautiful and that it’s freaking amazing! Goodnight.”

“Thank you, Miss Benjamin,” I chuckled.

“You wel—,” a sneeze interrupted her words. And then a seizure of sneeze owned her.

“Bless you,” I walked closer to her as she continued to sneeze. “Take your raincoat off.”

“Huh, what—ashoo!”

Hastily, I went to my room and entered the walk-in closet. After I gathered some of my shirts and pajamas, I went back to the living—where Riley stood quivering and perplexed. “Here you go. They’re warm so you won’t get worse than the mess you already are. You can change in the bathroom, inside my room.”

Her eyes widened and she looked down at the clothing I held out for her. Sniffing, she clutched them and pulled my gaze and attention. “Thank you,” she smiled and avoided my stare. “But…”

“You don’t mind staying in your boss’ house, do you?” my brow slowly rose as I bloated a mischievous smirk.

“I-I can’t, Mr. Lukewood.”

A fearsome thunder boomed, making her leap in fright. My smirk grew wider, “I’m sure you’ll walk back home under this pleasant weather. Now, please, Miss Benjamin, do us both a favor and change.”

“Run.”

“Pardon?”

“I ran to get here,” she wasn’t able to look at me in the eyes and when she did, it was for a second only. “Thank you, Mr. Lukewood.”

I nodded as she went inside my room warily. Each step she took, she explored the room and its design with her eyes. So I didn’t give her any instructions, I was sure she’ll do just fine.

Slightly unbuttoning my white dressing blouse, I sauntered to the kitchen and drew some pills for her cold and an empty glass from the cabinets. Opening the fridge and turning on the heat with its controller, I multitasked my way to the living and turned the TV on. The news was on, and all that filled my ears was the contemplative rain along with its gloomy thunders that deafened the anchors news man’s jaded voice.

Setting the glass of water and the container on the coffee table, I unfastened my tie and tugged it off. After positioning everything she needed on that table, I went to the windows and stood there, admiring the pouring rain and the chaos amidst the stream of peace.

“Ahem,” Riley cleared her throat and my head snapped to where she stood. “They fit me.”

A possessive feeling wrapped its way on the pit of my stomach as I stood, staring at her… breathless. Seeing her wearing my clothes made me establish her as mine somewhere in the back of my mind. She was now mine. She now smelled with my scent, she now dressed with what my skin once streaked. Unconsciously and with good deeds, I marked her.

“I’m glad it did,” I answered. “There’s some water for you to take the illness pills.”

“Oh, thank you,” she peeped as she swayed her hips to the couch. She slumbered down on my white couch and started to drink the pills.

Leisurely, I reached her and sat beside her. Putting aside the thought that I’ve never seen a woman as sexy as her with an oversized shirt and boy pajamas, I stared, glazing, at the news. “Are you hungry?”

She shook her head, but her stomach scolded her to tell the truth. “Maybe a little.”

“You can go and eat anything you want,” I said, trying not to gaze at her and pointing with my thumb at the kitchen. “Make yourself at home.”

I couldn’t look at her because the moment I did, the moment where I’ll be again the stupid foolish bastard that fell in love with her.

“But that would be wrong… you’re my boss,” she huffed.

“Then starve, Miss Benjamin,” I kept looking at the screen without even paying attention.

“I should go, you don’t seem too comfortable with me and I’m clearly invading your space.”

She was going to raise herself up but I stopped her by grasping her delicate arm. “It’s not that.”

“Then, what is it?”

“I can’t look at you,” I sighed.

“W-why?”

“You don’t want to hear the answer, do you?” I scoffed as I kept my sight straight at anything but her.

A hollow and drowsed silence infected both of us, as I felt her eyes on me. She was studying me or the cause of why I couldn’t look at her.

“I do.”

Because of the sweet and touching whisper, I had to look at her. My sight sailed to find hers, and when it did, my heart stopped its beating and my brain shut down. “Riley…”

“I do want to know…” she slightly smiled and blinked a couple of times, clearly gathering up the courage. “Tell me.”

“I—,” suddenly, the power went off, and we kept still underneath a threatening darkness. Dryly laughing, I closed my eyes and reclined my head on the back of the couch.

“Lights went out.”

“No shit, Sherlock,” I snorted.

“Mr. Lukewood… I’m cold,” she whispered, “C-can I have a blanket?”

“It’s underneath the pillow,” I answered.

“Itsy bitsy spider….”

My eyes flew open and I tried to look at her. My sight adjusted at the poor light the moon provided and I saw her wrapping the blanket around her while she sang that rhyme. “You remember?”

“Of course,” she whispered, “How could I forget?”

Sighing happily, I drew in the courage that slipped away. “I’m cold too, ya know? Share the blanket with me.”

“A bit bossy, aren’t we?” she chuckled.

“I’m still your boss, don’t forget about that,” I joined her mood as I felt her warm arm slithering around my shoulders and back to cover me with that blanket.

It has been so long since she’s been this close, I thought as the instinct kicked in.

Caught in the moment, I seized her arm and pulled her closer to me until she rested her head on my chest.  I sheltered her with both of my arms enclosed around her. She let out a loud sigh while my heart beat erratically.

Willingly, she snuggled tighter and wrapped her arms around my torso. Both of us were silent, neither could interrupt the senseless moment of intimacy we were sharing. Forgetting about titles, past, and love confessions, we embraced each other as human beings in need of each other’s care.

“Your heart—it’s beating so fast,” she whispered, scared enough to crumble the pleasing silence.

A blissful chuckle reverberated inside my chest as I felt her nose scrubbing against my blouse. “How do I smell?” I asked, quite curious myself.

“Disgustingly good” was her muffled answer.

A smirk withdrew my lips free, and again I chuckled. “As always.”

After protracting and peaceful minutes in that position, I pondered in our history. But the friendship could never be the same and not now that I’m so close to her, as a man not her boss.

  I couldn’t help myself to whisper. “Riley, nothing has changed. Not even the beating of my heart when it’s near to you.”

She kept still, but not stiff. Seconds passed and she didn’t even stir. Slightly, I began to poke her shoulder. “Hey…hey… are you awake?”

When I poked her harder, she purred incoherencies and enveloped her arms around my neck while she practically straddled me. “Andrew… I’m meow yew,” she slurred sleepily as she rested her head on my shoulder. Her breath could easily tickle my ears, making me feel goose bumps all over my already frenzied body. “Andrew.”

Oh, good misery! This cannot be happening.

If I let her stay in that position a second longer, I won’t be able to call myself honorable. If I let her stir and shift in that position, I’d probably would take advantage of her sleepy state, throw her to the floor, land on top of her and take her shirt off, just to trail the beauty of her skin with my fingers and lips.

Oh, boy, take a grip of yourself, man!

“Crap,” I cursed as I felt my body sweating and my pants tightening.

Lust was rushing through my veins as mental pictures of my most fantasized fancies displayed themselves inside my head with rawness. My breath quickened and so did my pulsation. I couldn’t do this to her… she was so innocent—yet, the animal inside me wanted to tame her and blew her wits out with my— focus!

Before it turned ugly, I tried to grasp her legs and un-straddle her from me. As she loudly moaned and sniffed, I swallowed down any picture or setting a pervert would only imagine.

A pervert like me… but dammit, it was so freaking hard!

I raised her, carrying her bridal style and dashing to my room. I laid her on my bed and tucked her in. She slept like an angel and nuzzled softly inside the covers like a kitten.

A quick phew puffed out of my dried mouth as I threw myself in the couch. I needed to get some sleep and fast, if I wanted to kick her out of my mind. I stared straight across the room and noticed the container of pills.

“Causes drowsiness…” I read out loud.

Groaning, I burrowed my face inside the pillows and tried to find some sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 72.3K 40
"You okay there, partner?" he chuckled. Our bodies were centimeters away from touching so I took a step back. A fatal mistake, which caused my back t...
363K 9.1K 44
I smiled at him but tears were starting to blur my vision together. "I hate you." His smile faltered and he looked taken back, "Not like that, Drake...
26K 832 28
"Please, Princess, by the end of the semester, you'll be begging for me," I had never been too good with the opposite sex, and I mean I've had boyfri...
33.8K 667 46
Savannah falls in love with her next door neighbour, her housemate and her brothers friend. Their relationship is a secret. How will she react when s...