Sink Into Me

By Misguided

There wasn't anything setting Evangeline O'Shea differently from someone you notice very briefly on a train t... More

1: Moving Day
2: Luck of The Irish
3: Flip, Sip, Strip
4: Meet Again
5: Us Again
6: "Party In The Forest (Where's Laura?)"
7: Odd Behaviour
8: That Smile
9: Delicious
10: Healed
11: Bad For You
12: Evie vs Michael
13: "My Immortal Beloved," Beethoven
14: Surprise
15: "You Need To Leave."
16: He Cared
17: Connect The Dots
18: First Date
19: The Unfortunate Truth
20: Confession
21: Question Time
22: Witchcraft
23: "Yes, I'm A Witch."
24: Sam
25: Watching
26: Mouse Hunt & Mouse Traps
27: Click
28: His Maker
29: Cold
30: The Parents
31: Awkward
32: Anastasia
33: Real Date
34: Bruised
35: Loosen Up
36: Hit Me
37: Trust Issues
38: Not Bad
39: Storm
41: My Pleasurable Distraction
42: Odd Awakening
43: Blame
44: Surprise
45: 'Love Is Love.'
46: Visitor
47: Avalanche
48: Hesitant Meeting
49: Questions pt. 2
50: Waiting For The End
51: Gifts
52: Old Friends
53: Penultimate
54: Blood
Epilogue.
Memories - Bonus Chapter :)

40: The Phone Call

259K 4.4K 470
By Misguided

___________

I was pacing the living room waiting for Michael to finish in the shower so we could get this over with. We'd managed to sleep through to one o'clock. I woke up before him and showered. 

And now I was waiting for him to come downstairs so I could tell him everything. Maybe not entirely everything, only things with significance. Like his name didn't matter at all. Only what happened around the event. I know that no more than eight hours ago my mind and heart said don't tell him. But that doesn't stop those damn pathways in my brain figuring out that I wasn't letting off any relief until I told him everything.

I heard him walk downstairs before I saw him. He smiled as he walked over to me. "Now, what has you pacing?"

"Everything." I took his hand in mine and pulled him over to the couch. I still hadn't moved the flannel I'd used to clean his face from this morning so I made a mental note to move it later. "So before we do anything else today, can I explain everything else to you?"

"If you want to."

I opened my mouth to start but his answer had me confused. "If I want to?"

"I said I trusted you so you don't have to."

"I want to. So let me get started before I lose my nerve."

Firstly, I told him about what happened yesterday in the library. I explained how he helped me with my new Greek Civilisation project and what I could do for it. And then how he met Laura and the girls. Michael seemed curious as to why he seemed so normal with the girls but he didn't comment on it. Then I explained how he'd previously helped me with my other Greek essay and helped me finish it. I told him how I'd asked him about how many vampires there were but he couldn't tell me because his maker had told him not to speak a word. 

And then I told him how he was the one that stopped Kate from seeing them. At first Michael looked like he had already figured out it was one of them stopping the witches but then he said, "I wouldn't have figured it was your friend."

"He told me it sort of starts when your human but I figured out that because our brains aren't really accessed and when he turned, it sort of came to him."

"That's usually why." He replied. "Is there anything else you want to tell me?"

I nodded. "When I saw him that Saturday after you left for your meeting he'd handed me a stake and said to do it. Then he grabbed my hand and," I lifted my hand and pressed in between his ribcage where a subtle heart beat resided. "Placed it here saying that's where I needed to go."

Michael's face finally reined with confusion. I understood why. I was completely shocked when he told me where to hit too. "What happened after?"

"Well, I swung for him but he spun me around and explained that punching him wouldn't do enough. He showed me how much strength I needed if I wanted to stab a vampire."

"He actually did all of this with you?"

"Yes. To be honest it felt like he was training me."

"Maybe he had the right initiative. Maybe you do need to be trained in case something like that does happen."

"I'm not going to be carrying a stake with me around Uni am I?"

"Well, you finish Uni and go home for the holidays after Tuesday. So carrying it around in a bag or purse won't be so bad."

I gave him a skeptical look. "Really."

"Honestly, yes. I think it's a good idea and I feel stupid for not thinking of it first."

I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned back on the couch. "Great."

"It won't be too bad. You're only human after all, there is only so much you can do. Speaking of human, I've told Anastasia and Kate's mother to keep and eye on your brother. Kate will be from time to time just in case there are blind spots. He'll be fine. We'll have John watch him too."

"I don't want John wasting his time."

"He won't be wasting his time. You care about your brother enough not to tell me." I smiled. "So John will keep an eye out too."

I nodded slowly and moved my head to lay on his shoulder. "Thank you for listening."

"It's alright." His lips pressed into my hair. "And thank you for telling me. 

"You're welcome." I sighed out in relief. 

For the rest of the day, the events of yesterday or the fact I'd told him more wasn't mentioned once. After a few awkward comments and weary words from me, he'd reassured me not to worry about it. He cooked for me, hugged me, kissed me, and loved me like he did everyday. 

We spent the day like any other day we'd have.

Together.

**

Thursday evening, I walked out of my room after packing up almost all of my wardrobe and all of my electric equipment to get ready to go home tomorrow. The last and only class I had this week was Modern Europe. Michael had his lecture in the larger theatre joining with Jade's class because the snow had restarted Monday so having two separate lectures with only fifteen people in each class would have been stupid. 

Speaking of Monday... No, I didn't see Tate. But I did see him that night. I was staring out of Michael's study glass doors and saw him. He'd waved but that's it. He disappeared after that. I admit I did feel somewhat... Bad... For not seeing him on Monday... But I had to quickly get over it.

I glanced at Laura's stripped bed and half packed room and then smiled when I heard the music start downstairs. Damien was getting picked up by his dad tomorrow morning to go back to Kelowna a few hours away. Lucas lives in Vancouver as well as Katherine, and Laura lives down in Abbotsford.

I smiled at the stairs and walked back into my room to pull Michael's feet off the bed. "Disrespectful."

"Dimples, I am the most respectful man in this country."

"If Kate wasn't downstairs dancing her heart out she'd agree with me."

He swung his legs off the bed and grabbed my waist to sit on his lap. The door was wide open but I knew Laura wouldn't be coming up here for any reason.

"Kate doesn't argue with me." He smirked.

"What a lie." I wrapped my arms around his neck. We've been normal. We haven't even mentioned Saturday and Sunday's incident. It didn't need to be mentioned. It was in the past. Over the days, Michael seemed less tense. He seemed more relaxed with me now compared to Sunday morning. 

He kissed my cheek and nudged me up. "So I'll meet you here tomorrow at eight. I'll take your heaviest bag now."

"Okay. But I am capable of taking my own bags." I stood up. 

"Not the heavy ones." He smiled that boyish smile of his before grabbing a bag from the hall. "You're only human after all."

"Rude." I gasped. "So you're going back to your house now?"

"That's correct. I'll come back later. Now," He slid his hands around my waist after putting the bag near the window. "Come here and let me hug and kiss the breath out of you until you pass out."

Before I could even say yes he'd already captured my lips in his and started teasing me. He grazed his tongue along my lower lip before I parted my lips and let him kiss me passionately. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed my body firmly to his. 

It's amazing how that awkward subject of us being with one and other hadn't really come up since that awkward time three weeks ago. Although it's in the way we touch, kiss, and practically look at each other. We haven't once mentioned it again. Well, you could count last weeks little encounter in his classroom.

I heard a gasp from the side and my heart almost dropped out of my butt. That was until I turned and saw Katherine giving us a disapproving glare. "Look you two, the whole reason for a door is to contain privacy."

"When has that ever stopped you." Michael replied without letting go of me.

"Never but it's different for me because I'm special." She winked. "I just about stopped Laura from coming up these stairs to get you, Evie. So come on downstairs and leave your mule to take half of your luggage in peace. You'll see him again later."

I smiled at her but tightened my arms around Michael's neck. "I'll be down in a minute."

She shook her head. "No, you won't. If I wasn't here right now you and Michael would be going at it like rabbits. Honestly, you've been together officially for almost two months but have been canoodling for three, I would have thought the new relationship aura would have worn off."

Michael and I laughed together. "Never." I replied as he said, "Not a chance."

She sighed and grabbed the door handle. "You have one minute. One! That means nothing more than making out you animals."

As soon as she shut the door, Michael's lips were back on mine. I ran my hands through his hair as one hand curled around my waist and the other was placed on the small of my back. My body curled around his as a quiet moan vibrated through his chest.

I shivered slightly when his cool hands slid underneath my t-shirt.

But then the door slammed open. "Times up, buttercups! Ew! Stop Michael before you eat her alive!"

He ignored her and sucked my bottom lip into his mouth.

"I think I'm about to throw up. Evie, Laura will come up soon unless you finish swapping spit."

I made a mmhmm sound before patting Michael's chest and pulling away. His pupils had dilated as they always did whenever we kissed. "That's your cue to leave."

His swollen pink lips curled up into a smile. "I guess it is." 

He slowly but surely let go of me to pick up my bag. "I'll see you later. Goodnight Katherine."

"Goodnight chicken wing." Kate grabbed my hand and started pulling me downstairs. As we got lower the music got louder. I heard Lucas's laughter and Damien's chattering.

I was surprised by the old song playing. Got to Give It Up by Marvin Gaye. Good old song.

Kate lifted my hand in the air as we got to the bottom floor and started dancing. "This is our last night together. So let's have some fun."

"Okay fine. No alcohol right?"

She led me into the living room. "Honey, we don't need alcohol to have fun."

Laura was singing along although no one could ever know what Marvin Gaye was saying in this song. The couches were pushed aside to give us room to dance. Damien was doing the running man with Lucas like idiots. I smiled at the two before grabbing Lucas's hand. He spun me around and waved my hands around. 

I hadn't realised the guys had ordered Chinese food until it got here. It was like our last family dinner until we all split ways tomorrow. Me and Damien left tomorrow, and Laura and Lucas on Saturday. Kate had already packed up her room and gone home but she came back for tonight. I couldn't blame her. The laughs everyone was having and the fun. This night was perfect.

But... It was almost too perfect. And I didn't believe in perfect. Not anymore. 

And I was right not to. Because when the music started again and we all started dancing Kate had stopped.

9.03pm she'd stopped.

9.04pm her face had drained of all colour and her body slowly sat on the couch. Her brown eyes blank as she stared at nothing in particular. 9.04 still no one noticed what was happening except for me.

9.05 I listened to the distant sound of a phone ringing. I watched her pull out her phone numbly and answer it. I watched her stand up and leave the room.

I waited. I waited for her to get back. Waited for whatever bad news I had to prepare for.

I waited for her to come back but she didn't.

The music stopped and Laura and the guys sat down...

But, 9.08, my phone started ringing.

I pulled it out of my pocket and looked down at my iPhone screen. It was my mom... At first I didn't answer it, I just stood there staring at the screen. But then it started ringing again.

I swiped the screen and held the phone to my ear. "M-mom?"

Of course, this night wouldn't be perfect. Of course something would happen. Of course it would happen tonight of all nights. Within five minutes, my night had gone from great to disastrous.

A cold feeling swept through my veins as my breath came out in shallow pants. 

I could see Laura standing up and coming towards me. I could see her lips moving but... I couldn't hear her. My body was numb. My heart was beating so loud, it was the only sound in my ears.

I got the feeling back in my feet to run upstairs, grab my keys and leather jacket. I didn't even think to look at my tangled hair or look at myself in the mirror because all of that was unimportant.

I ignored the yelling and sprinted down the steps to my car not caring that I could have slipped on the ice.

As I drove like a raving maniac through traffic, I couldn't comprehend the situation that was going on. My mind wouldn't let me. I didn't want to.

It took fifteen minutes to get there. I parked horribly in front of the doors and rushed inside. 

I ignored the nurses and doctors asking me not to run and raced upstairs where my mother told me over the phone to go. I pushed the doors open and saw my father and mother sitting together in the waiting area. They both stood up and came toward me but I didn't give them a second glance as I walked down the halls.

"Evie!" 

I looked through each window desperate to find him. Desperate to see his face. 

I stopped at a door filled with nurses and opened it.

A breath left my lungs and I blinked back the tears. He looked so fragile. So pale. So... Small. 

A doctor came toward me and tried pushing me out but I broke down. I started pushing him away and struggling to get past him to my brother. My sixteen year old brother. I pushed at the doctors chest but another came along. Then my dad. Then my mom. My dad bundled me into his arms and held me to him as I cried my heart out. 

I shook with anger and sadness. Sobs escaped my lips as I cried into my fathers chest. 

The image of his neck and arm wouldn't escape my mind. The large bite marks crimson with blood.

**

We've been sat in the waiting room for over an hour and a half now. I was shaking my leg with nerves as my mother squeezed my hand to reassure me she was here for me. My father was sat on the other side of me just as traumatised as me.

Mom probably saw this everyday, working in this hospital and all. But when I looked at her fatigued and teary face, this time was different. This was her little boy. Her son. My brother.

None of us have spoken and yet I was eager to find out what had happened. I couldn't bring myself to ask though. Every time I tried, my throat would clog. But I tried again:

"How?" My voice was hollow. I didn't even recognise it.

Mom squeezed my hand. "Aaron was out with his friends. His friend called our home number and told us Aaron had waited outside the shop for no more than three minutes and he was attacked. Just like that." She whispered. 

I patted her hand before I looked to the double doors; I wasn't surprised when Michael rushed through them. He got one look at me and zeroed in toward me. I stood up and let him take me into his warm embrace. I cried again. Not as dramatic or violent as the first time but it was still bad. He lightly spun me left to right soothingly and stroked my hair. 

Katherine must have called him. Because she saw it coming. But barely. There wasn't enough time to stop it.

Michael pulled one arm away to give my parents a sad look. "How long has he been in there?"

My mother sighed. "Almost two hours,"

"He lost a lot of blood." Dad said. 

I squeezed my eyes shut and clenched my hands into fists. Michael pulled me into his side and said, "If you'll excuse me a minute I'd like to take Evie down to get a drink?"

They both nodded numbly. Michael practically dragged me out of the double doors of this ward to the stairs. 

I started mumbling about how this was my fault and how my brother was dying and how I was stupid to tell him last week when Aaron's life was threatened in the first place, but then Michael grabbed my shoulders to shake me a little.

"Evie, you can't blame yourself."

I looked off to the side not able to look him in the eye. "But it is my fault I shouldn't have said anything, I shouldn't-"

"Stop." He moved his hands to my cheeks and made me look at him. "Your parents need you right now. You need to be strong for them, okay?"

I scrunched up my face as the tears began to sting the back of my eyes again. "I can't..."

"Your brother will be fine."

I opened my eyes. "How do you know?" I whispered.

"Do you trust me?"

"Yes." I answered without hesitation. 

"That's how I know." He said before kissing my cheeks. "We'll go downstairs and get you and your parents a cup of coffee."

I nodded my head and let him take my hand to lead me downstairs. Not once did he let go even after we got the drinks. I held mine in my free hand and watched him grab a cup holder to put my parents drinks in. We walked back up and I watched the grateful expression on my parents faces as they took the coffee. 

It was another hour and a half before the doctor came out. All of us watched as the old and tired looking doctor came over. We all slowly stood up and waited.

"Aaron lost a lot of blood. So we had to put him through blood transfusion." His voice was rough. His fingers ran over his grey hair.

I could practically see my mother crumbling beside my father.

"The most common effects are a fever but Doctor O'Shea already knows this. We'll be keeping Aaron for a few weeks. We want to make sure he recovers perfectly. He might be able to come out before Christmas. With the way the transfusion is progressing he should be out before then."

My parents went off to talk more while I sat down to take in what the doctor said. A blood transfusion is only needed when someone has lost a hell of an amount of blood. I know that much.

"Your brother is going to be fine," Michael said as he sat beside me. "How're you feeling."

I looked toward him. "Angry. Upset. Can we go back to your house? I... I just want to be with you."

He gave a small smile. "Don't you want to be alone?"

"Being alone never helps anything. All I'll do is think. I need you to be my distraction."

"I'll do anything for you," He kissed the top of my hand and looked me directly in the eye. "You're tired."

"I'm angry." I replied as my hands started to shake once again. "He-"

"We won't talk about this here." Michael mumbled as he glanced toward the hall where my parents were coming out of. 

I stood up to hug my mom as she said, "We're going to stay here a bit longer but Michael can take you home if that's okay?" She leaned around me to look at him. "I don't want her driving."

"Of course." He answered.

I nodded my head slowly before hugging both of my parents and telling them to call me in the morning. They promised. 

Michael led me downstairs through the doors to my horribly parked car. I asked how he got here and he said it was quicker for him to run. Michael took the keys away from me and we drove silently to his house.

I was left to my thoughts. My violently thrashing thoughts. Some screaming, some whispering. The fact my brother had almost died tonight because of me was a violent scream. The fact it was my fault, a whisper in my ear.

And then the reason for what had happened. That was a monotones voice. A plain factual voice. 

The man that threatened me had caused this. The man I thought I trusted. The man I thought had a heart as well as a soul. The man with grey mesmerising eyes ready to charm the pants off of anyone, or in his case, charm the unwilling into giving blood. 

I shut my eyes and let out a deep breath. Right now I just needed to not think about it. I needed a distraction. I glanced at Michael's beautiful face before looking down at my hands. 

And... maybe Michael could be that distraction...

___________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.5K 2K 53
Book 1 of the Bloodworth Clan Series VAMPIRE~ROMANCE~MYSTERY~LOVE ----- "Whatever." I hissed as I turned around to leave the room, when he grabbed m...
244K 11.2K 33
Ranked #20 in teen fiction! When Noah Jones, the school's resident hottie, asked me to help him win his ex back, I told him he was crazy. I mean, su...
2.7M 23.1K 38
Heather never really like any guys at her school, she never felt a connection for any guys all. Little did heather know, she was born for someone els...
40.1K 1.1K 36
''Let me taste you'' He leans forward and whispers in my ear. His voice is low like a gravelly hum. Oh God, what have I gotten myself into? He leans...