way up • stephen curry [au]

By saintcurry

[BOOK 1] it's after a series of relentless bickering when the quiet girl in class ended up getting the attent... More

» introduction
i. the worst first day
ii. fire vs fire
iii. i said so
iv. wherefore art thou wardell
v. never be like you
vi. balls before hoes
vii. separation anxieties
viii. yellow pullovers
ix. controlla
x. project zay
xi. come get her
xii. 2K and chill?
xiii. that bitch famous
xiv. bay area vibez
xv. i'll show you
xvi. all eyes on me
xvii. the player
xviii. pick a side
xix. get real
xx. official
xxi. out in the woods
xxii. out in the woods pt. II
xxiii. finding d'angelo
guess who's back
xxiv. back at it
xxv. love, arzaya
xxvi. thank god it's friday
xxvii. no telling
xxviii. a friend or a foe?
xxix. too good for you
xxx. the last one
xxxi. stray heart
xxxii. best i ever had
xxxiii. straight outta breakup
xxxiv. never the same
xxxv. did you wrong
xxxvi. turning tables
xxxvii. she don't love me
xxxviii. find your love
xxxix. it's that szn
xl. votes up
xlii. a night to remember pt. ii
xliii. commitments?
just checking.
xliv. stanford of dreams
xlv. letters to zay
xlvi. patient wardell curry
xlvii. goodbye oakland high
xlviii. way up
sequel + bonus chapter
please do not steal.

xli. a night to remember

6.5K 205 317
By saintcurry

IMPORTANT: pls do listen to the songs I mention in this chapter to get in your feels! It's worth it, I promise.

Make up:
  ⬇️    ⬇️     ⬇️

Arzaya

"Honey, can you pose for me one last time?" my mom asked for like the hundredth time as I stood behind our wall.

I groaned. "Mom, you got enough pictures!"

I was really getting uncomfortable now because these heels hurt my feet and my makeup was heavier than usual. I loved the feel of my rose gold dress, though. It was really light and comfortable and I was so glad Shay picked it for me. The only problem I had with it is the slit because it shows my thigh and I thought it was kinda too sexy for me.

"But I need more!" she argued, holding the camera. "Come on now, darling. Look how stunning you are."

Dad suddenly walked down the stairs in a rush and he was hastily fixing his watch before seeing me in the living room.

"Who is this beautiful woman in my house?" he joked causing me to laugh.

"Thanks, dad," I said.

My mom then pushed dad towards me. "Alright, you both. Let me take a picture of you together."

Ugh.

Why was my mom so obsessed with taking pictures of me?

"Alright," she said after clicking the shutter. She turned back at me and smiled proudly. "You're so gorgeous, honey."

"You're real sweet, mom. But you've said that for the thirtieth time now."

She smiled. "I'm just happy to see you all glammed up. It's become a rare sight in this house ever since you and Stephen broke up. And look at you now, you're glowing! What do you think, Asher?"

Asher stayed unbothered as he watched a basketball game. "She's alright."

"Alright?" I crossed my arms. "Mom and Dad is out here flooding me with compliments and you're just..."

"What do you want me to do?" he cried in complaint. "Bow down and treat you like a queen?"

"Yes," I said, sticking my tongue out.

"Best believe I won't," he replied smugly. This ass.

I swear my friends at school were better brothers than him.

"So, who asked you out?" Mom asked as she tried to fix my hair a bit. "Is it Stephen? Because I'd like to see you two back—"

"No, mom." I rolled my eyes. Don't remind me. I was bitter as fúck that he didn't ask me out. I mean, we had some good memories together. "Never going back."

She pouted. Gosh, she should be in a relationship with him. She's riding him so hard.

"So, who's the lucky man tonight?" she asked in curiosity.

I simply just shrugged. "No one, because I'm going Beyonce without a Jay Z."

"Guys must have been too intimidated to ask you out," dad told me. "Either that, or Stephen told the guys to back off."

Stephen. They just always had to mention Stephen. It's sickening.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and they all turned to me.

"Who's that?" mom asked. "I thought you don't have a date."

I grabbed my purse from the couch and pushed my hair back. "It's just my sons, mom. They wanted to see me on prom night and they offered to give me a ride. Wait, I'll just drink some water before I go. Let them in."

"Your sons?" Dad asked in confusion while I left to head to the kitchen area. I immediately took a glass and poured some water on it.

I heard my Mom open the door revealing an enthusiastic Devin, D'Angelo, and Ben who were all wearing casual clothes.

"HI, MRS. AUSTIN!"

Go crazy.

"It's you guys!" Mom laughed, embracing the three as I could see from the kitchen.

They all saw my dad and greeted him.

"Sup, dad," D'Angelo joked.

My dad guffawed. "Silly man."

"Hey, guys," Asher spoke, desperate for their attention and I had to snort as I placed the glass on the sink.

When I sauntered towards the living room, I could very well hear the irritating clack of my high heels and their eyes drifted towards me.

"Hi, guys. I'm ready," I said, smiling.

And it was like there was no oxygen to breathe in the house. Ben had wide eyes, Devin had to swallow hard, and then D'Angelo held his heart and pretended to collapse backwards. The two boys caught him and started fanning him.

"I saw a girl so pretty I died," D'Angelo singsonged dramatically before getting back to his feet.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "I'm still me!"

"Well, damn!" Ben glanced at me up and down. "You're so... wow. I have no words."

"A work of art," Devin said.

I raised a brow. "You guys overhyping."

"No, but seriously. You look your best right now," D'Angelo claimed before turning to my parents. "You guys did a great job not using a condom. You created a masterpiece."

Oh my god.

"Okay, you guys. Let's just go."

---

By the time we reached the school, Ben rushed out and opened the door for me. He offered a hand and guided me out of the car.

"Who allowed you to look like a goddess?" he teased and I smacked his arm lightly.

"Stop." I grinned. "I actually feel underdressed."

He shook his head. "Nah, it's simple. I like it."

Behind him, D'Angelo and Devin came out of the car too.

"You must feel like some Hollywood celeb," D'Angelo told me. "You literally got us as bodyguards."

"I really love this support from you guys," I said gratefully. "For real, I'm so thankful."

"Don't go crying on us, A," Devin teased and I grinned.

Suddenly, a woman passed by with a really provocative lace dress, and there I realized that it was Holly Anderson entering the building in her own flamboyance. The fabric of her dress was so thin that you could almost see her body except her private parts, but it was enough skin to make thirsty men drool.

I wasn't really a fan of showing too much skin. Sure, I was less conservative when I dated Stephen but I actually dressed like that for him knowing that he's the only one who can see and have it. Besides, I find it uncomfortable when other men were ogling my body. Maybe Holly's just far more confident in her own skin and less insecure like me. I mean, do you. It doesn't matter.

"What the fúck is that?" D'Angelo cried in disgust while looking at Holly's makeup. "She look like a drag queen, bruh."

"Man, she heard you," Devin hissed at him and D'Angelo just shrugged him saying he doesn't give a fúck.

Indeed, Holly actually approached us and I couldn't keep my eyes off her scarlet lips and voluminous lashes.

"Hey, Ben," she greeted; her tone dripping with bitterness. "Nice to see you actually took time to come here considering you're not even a Senior."

"Bítch, he know," D'Angelo answered sassily. "We ain't coming inside. We just here for Arzaya."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Are you Ben's spokesperson now?" Holly asked him as she mockingly pulled up a sorry face. Then she turned to me, eyed me slowly and I was almost intimidated by her intense stare. She quickly fixed her stare and snorted. "Wow, Arzaya. You really look so basic. You don't even try to compete with me at all. Don't worry, you don't need to. I was going to win prom queen anyway. I mean, look at me. This extravagant dress costs thousands!"

Take the high road, Zay.

I gave her a sarcastic smile. "Must be nice to be a white girl. Can't relate, though. My basic self's too busy catching attention from the hottest guys in school."

Holly was fuming. I knew she was triggeredt with a t, but she lowkey deserved to hear that. And it was the first time I actually stood up for myself.

"Well, it must be nice to be dumped by Steph!" she countered angrily. "It's funny, isn't it? You think he really was into you. No... you don't know the real Stephen Curry. He will never settle for someone like you. You know what? Since we're talking about him, I'm kinda missing him. Maybe I can hookup with him tonight and make him feel what you never did."

THIS BITCH DID NOT—

I was lunging towards her, like really about to snatch her weave until she goes bald but I was quickly held back by Devin and Ben.

"Aye. Becky, you takin it too far," D'Angelo warned her.

Ben sighed in utter annoyance before looking at Holly. "Sucking Jenkins díck must be real nasty because so much shít comes out from your mouth."

Her face flustered red as she huffed. "You weren't saying that when I was sucking you!"

"What the hell is going on here?"

We all turned to see Shay. A real glowing Shay. All these sequins. All these shimmer. Damn, that's my best friend. Gold was sooo her color and she looked absolutely like a goddess.

And it was adorable because Klay matched her with his white tux with a little bit of gold linen. He looked really suave. What an elegant couple!

"What's going on?" Shay looked at Holly questioningly.

Holly closed her mouth and probably getting those flashbacks in the cafeteria. She just timidly shook her head and backed off. "Nothing."

And with that, she walked away fast on her heels. Just like that.

All of us, except Shay, started chuckling.

"Oh no sis, you scared her off," D'Angelo said, laughing.

Shay just rolled her eyes. "She was getting her weave snatched twice."

"Savage," I said, pulling her for a hug. "I fúcking worship you."

Suddenly, her whole aura changed into a friendlier mood. "Oh my god! Look at you, slay me!"

"Look at you, freaking drenched in gold like a true queen you are," I said, chuckling. I turned to Klay and waved at him. "You look nice, K."

"You look amazing," he replied nicely.

"Right?" Shay asked, grinning. "She's bomb."

D'Angelo quickly cut us off. "Y'all really stay feeding each other's ego while we stand here lookin' like garbage."

"Well, it's nice to see you three supporting my best friend," she noted happily.

In a way, I guess these three boys were actually my best friends too.

"You guys should probably head inside," Devin suggested nicely. "We'll be leaving anyway."

"Yeah, well." I motioned them for a quick group hug. "You three need to hug momma before you leave."

---

It was like damn red carpet scene. Everyone was trying too hard to dress better than everyone. They were all on their phones taking pictures, posing for Instagram and whatnot. It wasn't how it was in the 90's movies.

This is like, the millennials' version of the prom. 

It was such a long night and I felt like I've been there for 5 hours, but really it was only 9pm. We still got 2 more hours of dancing and making memories.

The songs were a little boppy during the first two hours so Shay and I spent most of the time dancing like total idiots on the floor. We'd hold each other's hands and sing the words happily, and then we'd bump to a few people but no one really minded because everyone was enjoying.

When we both felt a bit exhausted, we convinced ourselves to go back to our table for a while. And as we go back, there... I saw him.

I don't know when he arrived but I know that he just arrived. Stephen was always late to places.

And I had to swallow. Hard. Because he's so fúcking handsome that I was losing air to breathe. He had this velvet midnight blue tux on and it looked so good on him. And he had his hair trimmed and his growing goatee shaved—all clean cut. He was the handsomest I've seen of him.

He was casually talking to David on the table, laughing about something and I've never been so in love with that gap between his teeth.

His eyes drifted to me and I froze as our eyes locked. His smile faded while he lowered the glass on his hand and it looked like he was holding a breath as he looked at me.

Suddenly, Best I Ever Had by Drake was playing.

Baby you're my everything,
you're all I ever wanted
We could do it real big,
bigger than you ever done it
You be up on everything,
other hoes ain't ever on it
I want this forever,
I swear I could spend whatever on it

I awkwardly averted my eyes and sat beside Shay, which was across Wardell. He still wasn't breaking the gaze and I could see, from the corner of my eyes, that he was breathing deeply.

You the fuckin' best
You the best I ever had,
Best I ever had
Best I ever had

"Damn, Arzaya!" I turned to see Dray sitting beside me. He offered me his fist so I bumped it with mine as I giggled.

"Hey, Dray." I smiled.

He was looking across Stephen with a knowing smirk so I looked back at Steph and he suddenly looked down, shaking his head with a smile on his face.

I sat there for a while and when the next song comes, Dray got up and offered a hand.

"Come on, bad girl. You need to dance!" he joked, beaming as he took my hand.

Now No Problem by Chance The Rapper was playing.

If one more label try to stop me
It's gon' be some dreadhead niggas in ya lobby, huh huh!

"You ain't got no problem, got no problem with me!" Dray and I sang as we reached the dance floor.

Can you believe it? He was the first one to offer me a dance and I was actually enjoying his company.

It was still a long night though and I knew that it just began.

---

[1 hour and 30 mins later]

Ask me if I'm still lit?

Yes.

Anyone else asked me to dance?

A lot!

In fact, even some guys from the football team danced with me and it was nice to talk to someone that weren't in my circle of friends.

And right now, Klay was dancing with me while David danced with Shay.

"Did you vote for prom king and queen?" Klay asked.

I nodded with a grin. "Yup. I've been campaigning all night to vote for you and Shay."

Klay smiled genuinely and it was rare to make him smile like that. "Aw, thanks Arz."

"You're always welcome," I said. Considering all the things he and Shay did for me, trying to fix my messy relationship, trying to defend me on anyone, it was about time I give back.

"He asked you to dance yet?" Klay asked, leaning on my ear so I could hear him.

I decided to play dumb. "Who?"

Klay chuckled at me questioningly. "You know who."

I glanced at the corner to find Stephen talking to Ayesha. No big deal—even looked like she was trying to argue with him and all.

"No," I answered. I mean, I haven't actually seen him dance with anyone at all.

Klay just gave me a warm smile. "He says he might be leaving early for the after-party."

Without having to dance with me?

I forced my emotions down my throat. "Yeah? Good for him."

Principal Silver suddenly walked up on the stage and headed towards the mic.

"Everybody, you only have twenty minutes left for prom. So you better ask that someone special to dance with you now because this is your last chance," he announced.

Klay and I looked at each other.

"Go ahead," I insisted, motioning for him to go to Shay.

"You sure?" he asked hesitantly.

I nodded. "Of course, Klay! Shay has to be your last dance!"

He chuckled and offered me a quick kiss on the forehead before heading towards my best friend.

And I couldn't help it. I looked back at the corner where Stephen was earlier and it was nothing but empty space. Gone.

"Where's Stephen?" I heard Draymond ask David.

David just shrugged. "I don't know, man. He left."

HE LEFT?!

Nope. Suck that weak emotion back in, Zay. Don't be so affected.

I need a drink.

And some air.

I sauntered towards the table to get a drink. Immediately, I chugged it down my throat but I was really feeling so damn devastated inside. Everyone's on the dance floor as the light darkened to into a more dimmed view and they were slow dancing to their partners as the music shifted to Fall For Your Type by Jamie Foxx.

Can I, can I save you from you (yeah)
'Cause you know there's something
Missing and that champagne you've
Been sipping not suppose to make you
Different all the time.

Why did he leave? Did I actually not mean a single damn thing to him?

I was supposed to be happy tonight, but I was standing here alone letting that asshóle ruin my spirit.

I placed the glass back on the table and forced the tears back in. It just really hurts and I know I wasn't supposed to be affected this much.

This night was supposed to be—

"Zay."

I sniffed and turned around.

"Can I... Can I have this dance?" Stephen asked, offering a hand.

I was going to cry.

"Yes," I quickly answered, putting my hand above his and he guided me towards the center of the dance floor where we get lost in the crowd of couples.

It's starting to feel like the wrong thing
To do (yeah); 'Cause with all that recognition
It gets hard for you to listen to the things
That I must say to make you mine.
But live girl, have some fun girl, we'll be fine
Trying to convince myself I found one
Making a mistake I never learned from!

I was melting. So many things running through my head right now. So many fireworks erupting on my stomach. And my heart, it just fell into sweet, sweet pain.

He put his hands on my waist while I put a hand around his neck and we slowly danced looking nowhere but our eyes.

He was so close to me that I could smell his scent.

"You're so beautiful," he spoke, looking at me with a mix of adoration, disbelief, and astonishment.

"I thought you left!" I cried.

He smiled. "No, I walked to the DJ to request that song."

He pressed his forehead on mine and for a while I just closed my eyes as we slowly swayed into the music.

I swear, I always fall for your type (yeah)
For your type.
Tell me why, I always fall for your type (ohh, ohh)
For your type.

"I wanted to save your last," he spoke, holding me closer.

I opened my eyes and the time slowed down for a bit while I looked into his hazel eyes.

"And I was trying so save my first and only dance for the night," he added.

I never realized that the highlight of my night would be on the very last song and it was too much to process. I was feeling so many things inside me that I couldn't show, but all I know is that I'm so so glad to be in his arms tonight.

And I just savored that moment because this is a story that I would share to my kids when they go to prom. This a night that I will always remember.

Throughout the song, we stayed silent and just appreciated each other's presence.

He was looking at me and only me the whole time. So I looked at him too, and now I found my eyes drifting towards his plump lips that I used to kiss.

I felt him lean in slowly until our nose brushed together but I didn't stop him.

"Okay, everyone!" Principal Silver's voice came booming.

Stephen and I opened our eyes in surprise and looked towards the stage.

"It's been a great, great year and we're almost at the finish line," Principal Silver spoke. "I want to thank you all for the memories you've left in this school and I hope to each and everyone of you the best as you venture to a new life in college."

Everyone cheered and clapped.

"But now," his tone changed to a more enthusiastic one. "It's time to announce Oakland High's prom king and queen."

Oh, no.

Just a few meters away from us, Holly was preparing herself—fixing her hair, puckering her lips, and all the while, her two bimbo friends were dusting off her gown as if they were maids.

She knew she was going to win.

Meanwhile, Stephen stared at the stage as he put a hand on my back.

"And as I announce the prom king, we have our faculty members to honor him on stage," Principal Silver said before reading off the paper which had the result.

"The Oakland High prom king is none other than..." There was a fúcking drumroll. "Klay Thompson!"

Steph pumped his fist and grinned. "My man."

I looked at him in appreciation. "You did this, did you?"

Because if anything, Stephen was 100% winning it.

"He wanted it," he told me as we looked at Klay and he had a wide grin plastered on his face as people cheered for him.

"He really does."

"I asked Jaden to switch my ballot to Klay's," he told me, before pressing his index finger on his lips. "But that's our little secret."

Klay stood on the stage with a sash and a crown and he was the happiest he has ever been. Principal Silver then took another paper and read through it. "And now for prom queen..."

Tiffany and Jessica, Holly's bimbo friends, started clapping and cheering for Holly. She had that smug look on her face knowing the outcome.

"...our prom queen is Shay Sullivan!"

YESSS. FÚCK YES!

I cheered so loud as my beautiful goddess of a best friend walked on stage with so much shock on her face.

"They deserve it, oh my god. They're so perfect," I cooed before turning to Holly. "Suck on that, Holly!"

Holly glared at me and her eyes displayed so much anger and confusion. She screamed in frustration and slammed her purse on the ground before stomping towards a scared Jaden who was on the prom committee.

"You said I was going to win!" she yelled at him but no one really cared. "I fúcking paid you!"

"Man, that's pathetic," Stephen muttered beside me. I laughed inwardly and looked back at the stage.

Klay and Shay were king and queen and I couldn't be more glad. If anyone deserved it, it was them.

From the stage we see them grinning and they waved at us with their sashes and crowns on and Stephen and I clapped and cheered for them.

I was never going to forget this night.

---

OOOHHH MAN. I was so into my feels writing this! I hope y'all were too 😩 do you guys think i should write about the after-party/part 2 of this?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17M 652K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
Riptide By V

Teen Fiction

323K 8.3K 117
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #2- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
667K 22.6K 56
❝ there might have been danger in their fire, but there was certainly beauty in the ashes. ❞ © staywildest
1.2M 39.6K 33
This is an omegaverse where Deku is an omegan Idol! He's 16 and well known. He gets into trouble and runs into a villain known as HellFrost. What wil...