Love And Honour (Book 2)

By randomthoughts96

Nothing has gone as planned. Logan of the Usani family had every intention of persuading the powerful Ricell... More

Author's Note
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Author's Note
Loyalty Or Honour

Chapter XXX

7.7K 643 30
By randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Would you please attempt to look less like you would like to disappear?" Hunter mumbles under his breath, half scowling at his brother trying to shrink back and out of sight. They stand within the Ricell manor in one of the larger halls. Many have been invited despite the short notice and so they are surrounded on all sides.

 Hunter stands confident and at ease, his dark gaze scanning the crowd. Logan is significantly less so. He shifts uncomfortable; there are far too many people. At home he avoided any public events. This is ten times worse. These are people he does not know. These are people who still regard him with a tinge of disgust.

"Logan." Hunter grinds out and pinches his brother's arm. Logan shoots him a scowl, his face pale. Hunter sighs softly and keeps eye contact. "Pretend that they are just Wolfe, Bear and Bronco on all sides. Pretend Sparrow is here with Tilly and Lilly. You can get through this." Logan provides a half smile at his brother's efforts at making him comfortable. Hunter knows it has not done much good as his brother's eyes anxiously roam around. "Talk to me." He says lowly.

"Could she not have made this announcement outside where there is space?" Logan manages to get out, he feels like his lungs are grasping for air. 

Hunter glances to the high platform at the end of the room. None of the Ricell family has arrived yet. With a roll of the eyes he grabs Logan's arm and pulls him off to the side, pushing those who do not immediately move out of the way. They mutter angrily but do nothing to retaliate. They get to the outskirts of the crowd and he pushes Logan to the wall and stands in front of him, his back to the crowd.

"You can breathe, tell me you can breathe."

"I can breathe." Logan replies and his breathing does seem to be returning to normal. Hunter half chuckles and shakes his head. He never thought he would be the one to do this. But then again, Logan would usually avoid this kind of situation like he would the plague. Too many people, too close together, it is a recipe for a disaster. Logan's breathing shudders and he squeezes his eyes closed. Hunter frowns. This is more extreme than he remembers Logan ever being.

"Talk to me." He orders, trying to keep his voice calming. He winces at it comes out wrong.

"I think I would prefer to be back in that cell right now." He says under his breath and Hunter eyebrows rise up. He must be feeling insanely uncomfortable if the thought of the cell is better than being here.

"Can I have everyone's attention please?" Her voice carries across the room without losing volume. Logan lifts his head and nods at Hunter. He moves to his side and they both face the same way as everyone else. Logan feels some of the tension leave his body and he knows he can get through this. Or at least he can get through it long enough to hear the announcement. Then he may have to get out as quickly as possible. "Thank you for gathering here today."

Lord Kier stands beside her with his wife Lady Aileen. They smile out at the crowd. Gavriel stands to her other side but a few steps back. He crosses his arms, his expression barely hiding his disapproval. It is a strange sight to see the Ricell family all stood together with a marked difference. Obviously Gethin does not stand with them, nor does he stand in the crowd. It has set off a few whispers here and there. Of course rumours have been floating around but there was no concrete evidence as of yet. The Ricell family had kept it fairly quiet and the servants were warned severely about telling anyone.

She searches faces and a slight crinkle appears on her forehead. She cannot see him. He is not near the front and she cannot find him in the midst of everyone else. Hunter chuckles quietly and considers raising his hand to alert her to where they stand. The darkness in him refuses; it is having too much fun watching her struggle. Logan however does not have that problem and moves forward a little so the light from the window shines in on him. He does this despite the growing tightness in his chest.

She spots him and a warm, special smile reserved just for him lights up her features. Her eyes echo warmth that only her brother Jasiel ever did rival. "People of Ricell. A grave mistake was made in these lands and today we correct it. This man has suffered for a crime he did commit and he was, sadly, not given a fair trial. He was not given a trial at all. We were all so deep in our grief that we did much wrong." She speaks honestly and without self-pity. Hunter is slightly impressed. "Jasiel was taken from us and Logan Usani was accused of his murder. Today I tell you that he is innocent of all charges. He did not kill him and he was a victim in these lands."

A hush goes over the crowd at her words. They had of course heard that he had been cleared and that he was not to be harmed. Now though they hear it from the Ricell's mouth. Logan Usani is innocent of all charges.

"Logan Usani." She meets his gaze. "Would you please join me?" Logan freezes, the thought of moving through the people, all packed closely together has his heart beating a mile a minute. Her smile falters a little when he stays glued to the floor. Hunter glances sideways. Then he shakes his head at her, his mouth moving to form the words 'not going to happen'. She blinks before gathering her next words. Hunter quickly mumbles something to Logan who nods minutely. He then moves forward leaving Logan behind.

Zara pushes her smile back into place. "I almost forgot." She laughs a little. "Another matter needs to be resolved today also." Hunter nods at her as he settles in the front row of people listening. "Hunter, would you please step up here?" Hunter easily smirks and steps up and stands by her side, towering above her. Gavriel mutters irritated as Hunter blocks him from sight. He steps to the side. "This man helped Logan Usani to escape from our dungeons."

The crowd start to confer angrily, hatred building up over a simple statement. Hunter just stares each group down until they shrink back and their voices are quelled. Zara fights the amused smirk begging to replace her perfect smile.

"At this point in time, we were wrongly confident that Logan was a criminal. Now we know that he is not and as a peace extending act we have forgiven this man." Hunter turns his attention to her and she shakes her head. "Not that we really have anything we have to forgive. You did right by saving him and I will continue to be immensely grateful." She curtseys to Hunter who unwillingly bows to her.

"Logan Usani and Hunter are welcome guests in these lands and I will allow no acts of hatred towards them. Is that understood?" The people quietly reply with a yes and she grins. "I extend to the Usani family a gift of our finest animals and hope that we can build a relationship between our lands again."

Hunter steps down and the people move out of his way as he strides back to his brother.

"You may move through to the banquet hall." Gavriel steps up beside his sister and proclaims. The people quickly make their way through and Logan finds his lungs are much easier to operate now. Hunter reaches him and pats him on the back.

"You made it. Let us go outside." Logan nods as his face slowly regains colour. Hunter gestures for him to lead the way but pauses as he turns and sees all of the Ricell family, bar Gethin, right there. His easy smirk drops and his face blanks.

"Logan Usani, whatever you ask for I would be grateful to give to you. I know nothing can change what has happened here but I would like to attempt to." Lord Kier sincerely tells him. Logan adjusts his gaze to Lady Aileen who still has a sneer directed towards him on her perfect painted lips.

"An apology." Logan replies simply.

"I am deeply sorry..."

"Not from you." Logan interrupts Lord Kier and the man blinks in surprise before his gaze moves to Gavriel and Zara. Zara is willing to apologise but she has already done so and is surprised if Logan is asking for it from her. Gavriel opens his mouth but before sounds can leave it, Logan shakes his head. "Not you either. You did what you felt was right, I would not ask for an apology from you."

"But I will give one anyway." Gavriel says. "I am sorry, I reacted out of anger and I let it sustain me. I am deeply sorry for everything we put you through and I should have listened to you." He bows low and Logan nods, accepting his words.

"Who do you wish to hear an apology from Logan?" Zara asks softly.

Logan turns his gaze the woman who cannot look at him without anything but disgust. "Lady Aileen." Her eyes widen and she turns to her husband. He nods his head and she grinds her teeth. "You pretended you wished for the truth. You pretended you wanted to hear what I had to say. You gave me false hope. You made me out to be guilty when you knew that I was not."

"I did not for one moment think you were innocent." She hisses. Lord Kier frowns.

"You told me that I did not look like a murderer. You told me you wanted to know what I had to say. Then you refused to let me finish. I do not believe you thought I was guilty but it was the easier option. You just wanted to have a part in a Usani's downfall. Even now you cannot look at me with any respect."

"Respect is earned." She replies and goes to leave but her husband grabs her arm and holds her in place. She tries to prise his fingers off of her arm. He merely tightens his grip. "What are you doing?" She questions angrily.

"I spent months in your dungeons and when I escaped I did not come back to harm you all in your sleep." Hunter's eyes widen, momentarily surprised by his brother's words. "I ask for an apology and you cannot even give that. Respect is certainly earned and I do not know if you will ever obtain any."

"Why you little..."

"Enough." Lord Kier silences his wife. "I apologise in her behalf, however meaningless that is. Shall we go through to the food?"

"I think I have ate enough today. Hunter and I shall return to the cottage. Good night and thank you for clearing our names." He bows low before striding away. Hunter skips the pleasantries and hurries after his brother.

"Well that was entertaining." He comments and Logan laughs.

Footsteps come from behind them and they both look over their shoulders. Zara halts when they notice her and she wrings her hands before her. "Would you mind if I came with you? I am not feeling particular fond of my mother's company at the moment."

Logan extends his hand and hers fits snuggly within it. He pulls her towards him before wrapping an arm around her shoulders. He kisses her forehead and they all walk on together. 

I'm a few chapters ahead at the moment and decided it would be far too cruel to make you all wait until Friday when I could update today :) I hope you enjoyed it! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

119K 15.6K 56
This is a story of two families, where the children bear the consequences for the mistakes of their parents. To know, Who is Mr.A? When will Mr.A ta...
725 90 13
Lives are intertwined, Hearts are broken, Pasts are haunted and vows are made. But when the intertwined lives meet will they let each other go? When...
303 16 8
Adonis, the Helenyan prince, carries an unsettling truth: everyone has a 'poison', a flaw of some sort, that corrupts their soul and leads them to ru...
227 6 11
The city of Oakville continues with its peaceful living for as far as time could rear its head by.The historians find no trace of murders in the hist...