Love And Honour (Book 2)

Da randomthoughts96

Nothing has gone as planned. Logan of the Usani family had every intention of persuading the powerful Ricell... Altro

Author's Note
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Author's Note
Loyalty Or Honour

Chapter XXIX

7.4K 635 44
Da randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Dawn focuses her gaze on Tommy while she relates what she remembers from that day. "It was very soon after Wolfe and Sparrow came. Everyone was running around like headless chickens. I happened to stop in the doorway of a room that was as dark as it could be. Gethin was stood there speaking with a man." Dawn's voice falters and Logan frowns in concern. "It seemed like the man worked for him, gathering information for him. Gethin even seemed a little afraid of him for when the man spoke he quietened considerably."

"And you believe this man to be my brother?" He asks quietly, his voice low and soft.

"He told me if I described him I would regret it." Her eyes flicker downwards and Logan can tell she is truly afraid. He reaches across and takes her free hand. Gently he traces circles across the back of her hand in a soothing gesture.

"I will not let anything happen to you. Your words will go no further than this. He will never find out." He tries to assure her. She nods slightly and exhales slowly, gathering her courage.

"He was tall and muscular. His hair was inky black and there was no colour in his eyes whatsoever. His voice was deep and strong and he seemed to reject authority." As she describes the man, Logan's face clouds over. If he was to ever describe his brother this would be the gist of it. "He was fast, I barely blinked and he was gone. I thought for sure when I saw Hunter taking you from the dungeons he was the same man. It was why I feared for your life." Dawn glances up at him and sees that his eyes have dulled. "Logan." She turns her hand over in his and grips onto his hand. "I think I was wrong."

"What makes you say that?"

"Hunter does not speak like him and his eyes have blue in them. I am not frightened of Hunter; I was terrified of that man. Surely your brother would not betray you or your family like that? He cares for you; that is obvious." Dawn tries to persuade him but Logan shakes his head.

"You have described Hunter so perfectly. There is only blue when he is happy or at peace. Otherwise his eyes are pitch black and deadly. He would threaten you without a thought. And his voice, well I know he is well adapted at changing it when it pleases him."

"That does not make him guilty!" Dawn exclaims and withdraws her hand. She rises to her feet and Logan's eyes follow her. "I do not believe he could possibly work for Gethin." A throat is cleared behind her and she jumps. She stumbles backwards at the sight of a man enshrouded in a black cloak. "You?" Her voice shakes with nerves.

Logan jumps to his feet and manoeuvres her behind him. The man chuckles and pushes his hood down and tilts his head so he can look around Logan to Dawn. Logan sighs a little at Hunter's amused grin. He does not move aside though and keeps giving Dawn some protection. When this dawns on Hunter his nose crinkles. He straightens up and crosses his arms. "Did I miss something?" He questions, his eyes slipping from Logan to Dawn and back again.

"Do you work for Gethin?" Logan quickly demands an answer. Hunter coughs and laughs a little before realising his brother is serious.

"Why on earth would I ever work for Gethin?"

"Just answer the question." Logan commands.

Hunter looks at Dawn who seems to be extremely nervous. "What did you say to my brother?"

Logan blocks his vision of her and Hunter warily steps back. "Do not try and threaten her again."

"I have never threatened her before in my life and I do not work for Gethin. Where have these stupid ideas come from?" Logan shifts slightly as his brother's eyes rest on him and his irises are blue. He is being sincere but they are clouding over with irritation.

Dawn moves around Logan and looks up into Hunter's face. "I am sorry. I saw a man who was just like you and I feared you were him." Hunter softly smiles.

"I have seen him too. The likeness is extraordinary do you not think"? His anger melts away and Dawn nods, a laugh dancing on her lips. He lifts his head to see Logan. Then he groans and rolls his shoulders. "I do have something I need to tell you though." Dawn whistles Tommy and curtseys to the two men.

"I should go. I have caused enough trouble already." She jogs away with Tommy barking at her heels.

Logan turns and walks into the cottage and takes a seat. Hunter follows him in and takes a seat opposite. "You sounded serious." Logan comments offhandedly, wishing for his brother to just speak already.

"I am serious. You are not going to like what I have to say so I need you to make a promise." He waits until his brother seems to agree before continuing. "I need you to promise that you will not react until you have heard everything I have to say. I need you to promise that you will not interfere or try to make a new deal that..." his jaw jumps and he changes what he was about to say." "I need you to trust that I am doing what I need to and that you should not feel responsible."

"You seem to be covering everything. I give you my word." Logan replies, wanting above all else that he can do what his brother has asked. Something in his gut tells him it will be a difficult task.

"I was here before Wolfe and Sparrow. I knew that they would not be able to rescue you so I knew I would have to." He stops as if his next words are difficult. His face grows closed off and Logan clasps his hands together so that he can hold himself back if he reacts. "It looked like it was going to be impossible, teams of warriors were always around the entrance training, and warriors were always randomly through the tunnels. I was willing to try but it was no guarantee that I could get either of us out of there. Even if I had managed to knock everyone out someone would have noticed and we would have been caught."

"Where are you going with this?"

Hunter takes a deep breath before continuing. "Gavriel had written to me, I went to see him to see what he wanted. The letter was vague, he told me of what you had done and asked that I come and hear what he had to say. He told me I could save your life." Logan's fingers tighten but he keeps his face remarkably straight and unaffected. He has a feeling he knows where this is going. "I could not ignore that. We made a deal."

Hunter stops to study his brother's expression. Logan scowls at him because of what he is doing. "I am not a child Hunter; I am older than you, so stop treating me as sensitive."

"I was watching to see if you were going to try and kill me, actually." Hunter replies with humour. Logan rolls his eyes.

"What was the deal?" Logan asks, quickly losing patience.

"He gave me the perfect way to escape with you. He promised only two warriors to deal with, and an extra horse to carry you away on. He also made sure that the scouts would look everywhere but the track we were taking. It was a good deal and it meant you would escape your execution. I took it."

"That tells me what you got out of the deal and trust me I am thankful... but I want to know what he got from you." Logan tries to be reasonable and Hunter visibly stiffens.

"Nothing of importance." A fake smile springs to his lips and he stands up.

"Sit down." Logan orders. Hunter glances at him before sinking back down. "I overheard you the night in the tavern. Your deal brought us back here. You owe me an explanation."

Hunter grimaces. "You heard? Why did you not say anything?"

"I am not the one who has been lying through their teeth for months. I was giving you a chance which you never took." Logan grinds out, his irritation slowly building higher and higher.

"I was doing it for you!" Hunter growls. "Do you really think I want to be in a position where I owe Gavriel anything?" He tugs at his hair with his hands. Logan pushes down his words. "I promised that I would..." his eyes squeeze shut and Logan sits on the edge of his seat. His hands are no longer clasped but balled up in fists. "...pay him back however he wished. If I did not he would throw you back in the dungeons. He never let us out of his scouts' sight."

"What has he asked you to do Hunter?" Logan winces at the lack of response. "Do not keep me waiting; I am trying so hard not to react."

"I must find out whether Gethin is innocent or guilty."

"And that is it? When you have done that, are you free?" The lack of reply speaks volumes. "How long are you in debt to him?"

"Six months. I would have gladly given my life in exchange for yours." Logan growls and pushes himself to his feet and starts pacing. No wonder Hunter had made him give his word. He wants to react but not at Hunter. He wants to interfere; he wants to find a way to release Hunter of the debt he has incurred on his behalf. But he has promised not to. He promised to trust his brother. He promised to not feel responsible. But how could he not? Everything is because of him. He should have fought harder for his innocence to be heard. Perhaps then Hunter would never have had to get involved.

"Logan." Hunter pulls him back out his thoughts. "I found evidence. He did not poison Gavriel and he knows very little about poisons. I have read how he has treated prisoners before and his methods are altogether different. There is a page about how he poisoned his father and exact measurements are scribbled down so that it is not lethal. Nothing is there about Gavriel and I strongly doubt he would hurt him, let alone kill him. I have another lead as well. I have a feeling that it will prove his innocence."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"His innocence puts you back in danger. I want you to leave, I want you to run back home. Wolfe and Sparrow will protect you while I live up to my end of this deal."

"You want me to leave?"

Hunter nods decisively. "I do. I cannot be responsible for putting you back in those dungeons."

"Tough. I am not going anywhere. You do what you have to and I will do what I have to. Just no more lies, Hunter."

"Then tell me, why do you want to stay here? If I was you I would be getting as far away as possible."

"Do you not remember how you manipulated me to return? Zara believes my innocence this time and I am not leaving until I know what my life could hold." Hunter grinds his teeth but accepts, visibly anyway, his brother's words. 

So what do you think? Is Logan foolish for remaining? Hunter seems to think so...

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

227 6 11
The city of Oakville continues with its peaceful living for as far as time could rear its head by.The historians find no trace of murders in the hist...
13.4K 1.2K 28
It's the year 2153. The world has fallen into a state of monarchy. Every country has a king and queen. And every country wants to increase their tie...
217K 18K 48
Lord Bear Usani has dealt with a great many of emotions through his life: happiness, excitement, victory, mischief...loss, sadness, grief, guilt... T...
725 90 13
Lives are intertwined, Hearts are broken, Pasts are haunted and vows are made. But when the intertwined lives meet will they let each other go? When...