Descendants of The Sun: The S...

By ApplePie0097

The love story between a soldier and a doctor reaches new heights, as their bond strenghtens to a point where... More

Prologue
Chapter One-Part One
Chapter One-Part Two
Chapter One-Part Three
Chapter One-Part Four
Chapter Two-Part One
Chapter Two-Part Two
Chapter Two-Part Three
Chapter Two-Part Four
Chapter Three-Part One
Chapter Three-Part Two
Chapter Three-Part Three
Chapter Three-Part Four
Chapter Three-Part Five
Chapter Three-Part Six
Chapter Four-Part One
Chapter Four-Part Two
Chapter Four-Part Three
Chapter Four-Part Four
Chapter Five-Part One
Chapter Five-Part Two
Chapter Five-Part Three
Chapter Five-Part Four
Chapter Six-Part One
Chapter Six-Part Two
Chapter Six-Part Three
Chapter Six-Part Four
Chapter Seven-Part One
Chapter Seven-Part Two
Chapter Seven-Part Three
Chapter Seven-Part Four
Chapter Seven-Part Five
Chapter Seven-Part Six
Chapter Eight-Part One
Chapter Eight-Part Two
Chapter Eight-Part Three
Chapter Eight-Part Four
Chapter Eight-Part Five
Chapter Nine-Part One
Chapter Nine-Part Two
Chapter Nine-Part Three
Chapter Nine-Part Four
Chapter Nine-Part Five
Chapter Ten-Part One
Chapter Ten-Part Two
Chapter Ten-Part Three
Chapter Ten-Part Four
Chapter Ten-Part Five
Chapter Ten-Part Six
Finale
Afterword

Chapter Two-Part Five

3.1K 53 12
By ApplePie0097

"No one can have the whole world."

(Kang Mo Yeon)

   Fully recovered from her ordeal, Mo Yeon returned to work the next day. Si Jin dropped her off the main entrance of the hospital before he headed back to base. However, before he could let her go, his worries took over, and he grabbed her hand before she could even open the door.

   With a very concerned look on his face, he asked, "Will you be okay?"

   Mo Yeon exhaled, and stared deep into his eyes, as if to tell him-telepathically, that she would be fine.

   I will be fine.

   I don't believe you. What will happen to you when I am not around? You don't even know how to fight.

   Mo Yeon sighed again, and turned away for a moment to figure out how to convince her super-paranoid namchin that she will be safe in the compounds of the hospital. From the look of his eyes, it would take more than just merry words to relieve his worried soul.

   "Well?" Si Jin spoke, pulling her out of her thoughts. Mo Yeon glanced at him, and gave him a really flat expression. Internally, Mo Yeon knew that she had to say something eventually, or else he would never let her go. She had a job to do and so did he.

   Mo Yeon unexpectedly cupped his face with both of her palms, surprising Si Jin with her actions. She bent closer towards his face, and once again stared deep into his eyes with a rather innocent look. She needed to do this to convince him entirely. "Yoo Si Jin-sshi, I know that you are worried about me, but being worried doesn't help at all-for the two of us. I honestly can't guarantee you that nothing will happen to me but in this hospital, I am safe. My friends are here, and they can protect me if I go into trouble." Slowly, she let go of her hold, but Si Jin stopped her.

   Si Jin gripped her right palm in a rather possessive yet tendered manner, an then rubbed the base of her palm with his thumb soothingly. "I am really worried for you, Mo Yeon-ah. Somebody tried-I mean, did harmed my yeoja, and I blamed myself for not being there for you. If I had followed you, this thing wouldn't have happened. Then, I wouldn't be so-"

   In another unexpected move, Mo Yeon placed her index finger of her left hand on his lips, shutting him up completely. "Don't blame yourself anymore. It is not your fault. It is my careless mistake and I had to bear the consequences. If it wasn't for you, I would have.....lost my dignity right now." She retracted her finger slowly. "I know that you cared about my safety. Well, I can tell you now that I am alright. I will be safe, Yoo Si Jin-sshi, so please don't worry."

   Seeing that his girlfriend was adamant, he knew that it was pointless to argue anymore. Despite his soul telling him not to let her go, he had to release her eventually. He knew she was right. Besides, he can't be with her all day 24/7. That would only make her feel uncomfortable if he insisted with his way. Plus, she's not a baby girl anymore, she is an independent lady already-a beautiful and gorgeous one. She doesn't need a babysitter to take care of her.

   Come on, Yoo Si Jin! Think about her well-being, you pabo! Don't hold her up like a coconut! Let her go. Let her have her own space.

   He tilted his head down slightly, and exhaled. The stormy winds in his mind calmer now, he looked up and stared at her beautiful features. He let out a half-smile, and then tucked a loose hair behind her ear. "Ahrasseo, Mo Yeon-ah." He brushed her smooth cheeks softly with the tip of his fingers. However, by doing so, he ignited a sudden urge that he had been trying to control everytime he touched her skin. Fighting the urge, he continued. "Mian, I was being paranoid."

   She smiled brightly upon hearing those words. That was what she wanted to hear from him-his acceptance. It finally brought some relief, for she thought that he would not buy the bait. However, when she looked into his eyes, she noticed that there was something else.

   Si Jin might not have realised about the look in his eyes, but Mo Yeon saw it, and she knew what it was. His resistance against the growing urge had betrayed his body, for his emotions, as if having a mind of its own and eager to be noticed, transmitted itself into the glossy layers of his pupils, making it dilate. It was carnal, Mo Yeon transcribed, and lustful at the same time.

   It was a mistake in which Mo Yeon failed to recognise, for when she stared at his big brown eyes, she allowed the lustful energy of his to be transmitted into her soul like a virus. It worked its way and infected every inch of her sanity in quick succession. Eventually, she found herself fighting against the emotional want that was becoming too strong to handle.

   What's going on with me? Why do I feel this way?

   Whatever it was, the answer was clear-he wants her, and she wants him.

   Ani, not now! Not in public!

   It took her a few seconds to realise that her breathing had became erratic and the beating of her heart became strong and irregular. She tried to control it, but she ended up letting go slow, warm and hard huffs. Si Jin too, was experiencing the same situation, from the warm and hard exhales which brushed her skin. And then, before she knew it, his left palm rested by the side of her neck.

  "You want me." She whispered softly, almost sounding like an aroused pervert seeking for pleasure. She felt like puking upon hearing that strange tone of her voice, but her emotions overruled her thoughts-entirely.

   "This is me being paranoid." He joked. "And yes, I want you right now." He grinned. Brushing her cheek with his thumb tenderly, he went on. "You look pretty today, Kang-sonsaeng. Jeongmal. I'm serious. I'm totally smitten by you. Why do you have to keep showing off your charm, Kang-sonsaeng? I've already fallen for you."

   "I'm a woman with a debt, and with that debt, it's easy to get dumped." She explained. Realising an open window, she planned to get out of there before either she or Si Jin lose control over themselves. Breaking away from his hold despite her mind telling her not to, she turned to open the door. "Well, I need to get going. It's going to be a busy day today."

   "Ne, it will be-"

   Before she could open the door, his left hand once again rested on the side of her neck, and using his thumb, he pushed her face softly but possessively to his direction, and before she knew it, his lips touched hers.

   Her eyes went wide by his sudden action, but as he nibbled her lower lip, her heart relaxed and soon her body accepted the intimate invasion of his mouth. In a state of trance now, she kissed him back with equal fervor, her hand hooking onto his left hand tightly like her life depended on it.

   It lasted for a few seconds, and during that few seconds, she was transported into another dimension, where there are only two of them alone, lovingly and passionately caring for each other as if the world around them never existed. It was as close as what she could describe as a Heaven, and  her heart glowed brightly under the light of Zen and peace.

   Slowly, Si Jin pulled away, ending the passionate kiss. He brushed her cheek again, feeling the smooth complexion of her youthful skin. "Saranghaeyo, Mo Yeon-ah." He expressed intimately with an affectionate grin as his index finger held her chin.

   Mo Yeon blushed upon hearing that word. Although they had been together for more than a year, they had rarely said 'I love you's to each other. Still, Si Jin had expressed it out perfectly. That, Mo Yeon figured, was his ultimate specialty. "Saranghaeyo, Yoo Si Jin-sshi." She expressed. "And don't worry about me, ahrasseo?"

   "Ahrasseo, Kang-sonsaeng."

   "Well, I really have to go." She opened the door and stepped out of the car and Si Jin adjusted himself on his seat, his hands back on the wheel.

   "I'll pick you up at around ten." He reminded just as Mo Yeon was about to close the door.

   With an adorable smile, she spoke, "Ahrasseo. Don't be late, and stay safe."

   "Don't worry! There's no war yet!" He replied quickly.

   His reply made her chuckle. He really had a way to win her heart. "Looks like I have to trust you then. Annyeong!" She waved her hand at him. Before he could wave back however, she had closed the door, and walked away.

   Si Jin was beginning to grumble about her impatience for not waiting for him to reply at all, and was about to drive away when he noticed that she had stopped halfway. In a swing that resembled a ballad dancer, she turned around and showed him two finger hearts, with a smile that was so adorable that his heart melted all over.

   "Aigoo, jinjja! She's so adorable!" He exclaimed, grinning widely as he replied to her cute gesture with a finger heart as well. Satisfied, Mo Yeon finally turned away and proceeded to her workplace.

   Si Jin, still beaming with pride, watched as his girlfriend in white sweater and grey jeans covered with a brown overcoat walk away ans eventually disappeared into a corner. Looking at his watch, he knew that he had to move on as well. He had overextended his leave, and who knows how much paperwork had been piled up on his desk right now. He sighed at the thought of that, and finally drove off.

   Unknowingly to them, someone had witnessed the lovey-dovey between the two of them from the view of his small but powerful black binoculars, and he couldn't help but giggle uncontrollably in his car. His SUV was parked directly ahead of them, some distance away, and they didn't see it.

   Omo, omo, omo! That was-daebak! Daebak! This is breaking news! Oh, my heart's coming out! Ottoke, ottoke, ottoke?!

   He looked to his left and right, as if trying to hide from somebody. Letting out a sigh in relief, he tool out his cellphone, and then dialled a number. Two rings later, the person on the other line answered. "Yeoboseyo?" The female voice asked with an irritated tone.

   "Ja Ae, you will not believe what I am about to tell you right now. Call everyone down to the cafeteria and I will explain everything." Dr Song requested impatiently.

   "What is it right now? Where the heck are you anyway? Still enjoying your breakfast at Subway?" Ja Ae asked with a slightly raised voice, and the speaker of his phone served to amplify her tone which stinged his ears.

   "Anigodeun. I'm actually here right now. Just do as I say, and I will explain everything from start to finish. I bet that all of you will have sweet dreams tonight!"

*****

   Director Han sat in the black sofa in his office, drinking the small cup of wine on the table. He loosened his tie, laid his back on the soft cushion and exhaled loudly as he rewinded about his past activities. Never in his life had he suffered so much because of one single mistake, and now he had to suffer the consequences.

   If only he has known that the girl he had an affair with was in fact his ex-wife's niece, then this issue wouldn't have happened. He never bothered to dig some personal information from her because he was to engrossed with the feeling inside him. He was so stupid and naïve to ignore those facts, and it cost him greatly. The scandal was now widespread that even the staff in the hospital knew it.

   He was so drunk that night. The lady too was at the same condition. In a drunken state, his lust took over, and he engaged to the lady in a steamy, heated kiss as his hands ventured around her body. Unlucky for him, the act in a bar at downtown Seoul was caught on camera by a mischievous youth, and in one push of a button, it went viral on the Internet.

   He blamed himself for being so stupid, but he needed to maintain his position. He didn't believe that a rather unexpected scandal involving him and Su Yon's niece would undermine his position as the Chairman of the hospital's board of directors. He had a lot of connections-beneficial connections. They always got his back, in which he needed it despite having to give back something to them in return. As long as they are loyal to him, and benefited from him, his support is unrivalled.

   Or that's what he thought it would be...until Su Yon came along.

   Then, everything came loose. He began to loose some backers, and soon his popularity broke down. Somehow, that ex-wife of his managed to draw their hearts and minds towards her, and now she holda the position of Vice-Chairman. Unexpectedly, she became his rival, and she had already gained the upper hand. The impact of the scandal to the hospital's name on a wider scale, added with some suspicious, so-called fundraising projects that began to surface, rendered his position to be precarious. He had approved the projects undercover and now, thanks to Su Yon and her rather conspicuous ways of espionage, everything came to light. The worst of all, Dr Lee Chi Hoon's mother had withdrew her support to him by severing links with his mother which spelled his doom.

   He remembered stepping into the boardroom for the hearing, his heart beating rather nervously. Su Yon had indeed kept her promise-she gave him a notice of the hearing earlier this morning, just like the way she said it two days ago. His main pillar's removal of support yesterday made him lose all hope of surviving. In the meeting itself, it was obvious, as the motion was passed to remove the Chairman entirely from his post effective immediately. His fate was sealed-once and for all.

   His plans to remove that vermin Dr Kang from the hospital never got realised, and he reckoned that she would be laughing her hearts out when she hears about it. He blamed Dr Kang for his downfall, second only after himself, for had she not rejected his generous offer in the hotel room back then, he wouldn't have gone too far. So he told himself that if he were to fall, he would make sure that she will go with him.

   Too bad though, he had lost his power in a one-sided affair.

   Well, at least he wouldn't have to see her again, that's one thing.

   And his ex-wife too-the new Director of the hospital.

   Yet, she wouldn't stop bothering him, as she chose the best timing to interrupt his thoughts. She just entered his office as if it was her own house, and she was quick to state her claim. "Well, I thought that you are packing. I was wrong."

   "Can't a man enjoy the last days of his term-or shall I say, last few minutes?" He jibed at her remark as he sipped the wine from the glass.

   Su Yon let out a smirk as she took her seat at the opposite direction facing him. She placed her brown, crocodile-layered handbag onto the glass table. "I suppose you are right." She stared at the bottle. "Aren't you going to offer me a glass?"

   Suk Won stood up and got a glass for her. He poured a quarter into the glass and passed it to her. Su Yon accepted it smilingly, even though she told herself that she was not supposed too. She took a sip as he sat back down, his eyes locked on her. "I thought you will reject it. Never thought that you will take it."

   "This is my toast for celebration. I finally got what I wanted."

   Suk Won smirked upon hearing those words from her mouth. "Well, congratulations. You are a Director now."

   "Thanks to you, Suk Won." She lifted her glass, expressing her gratitude in mocking way. "Without you, I wouldn't have gained what I want."

   Suk Won was definitely uncertained whether she was thanking him in a rather honest way or she was just trying to test his patience. Whatever it was, it irritated him slightly. "You were lucky, that's all. I only opened a window for you."

   "That's right, and I utilised it perfectly."

   "So it looks like Sanyong Pharmaceuticals have gained from this case."

   Su Yon nodded her head in agreement. "We will be Haesung Hospital's main supplier from now on. Something good for a change, isn't it?"

   "How can you ensure that your products are worth the market?" Suk Won inquired as he refilled his glass for another round.

   Su Yon placed the glass down, relaxed and folded her legs-rather seductively. Suk Won was smitten by the way his thirty six year-old ex-wife, still slim and slender in her pink formal dress, relaxed herself, but he shrugged it off, blaming the effects of the wine he had just consumed. Su Yon didn't see it though, and continued. "Our products are trialed and tested by professionals worldwide. I can guarantee you, that despite being new and relatively cheap, it is safe for human consumption."

   Suk Won folded his legs and sighed. He really admired her confidence in dealing with things. "Can't deny your efficiency, Su Yon."

   "Thats what I've learned after you left me. Once again, thanks to you."

   "Although I can't tell whether you are being honest with your gratitude or not, I have to say, you are most welcome." Suk Won expressed with a slight twitch of his lips.

  Su Yon, to his amazement, chuckled softly, her perfect white teeth showing. Somehow, it made Suk Won smile as well. "Honestly, even after so many things you have done to me and towards my niece, my heart couldn't stop forgiving you. I don't know why, but that's what I felt." She paused for a while as she studied his face. She expected an answer, but there was none. Suk Won sat there silently which prompted her to continue. "Maybe you are not so bad after all."

   "Reminiscing our the first time we met?"

   "I had to admit, I fell in love with you the first time I met you. I don't know what got into me back then. You, of all people, seemed to understand how I feel. That's why I felt uncomfortable. You proposed to me a year later and I hastily accepted that."

   "Thinking back, I think I have fooled you too much." Sum Won spoke.

   "And I fell for your charms and riches. Yes, Suk Won. I was fooled by you." She chuckled. "I was a complete idiot, am I?"

   "We were all fools."

   "Then, you revealed your true colours and here we are now, separated but talking as if we are still married! Strange, right?"

   Suk Won nodded his head in agreement. He couldn't deny that the conversation they were having right now was unusually light-warmed than a hot-mannered one. He couldn't be sure but from the waybhe was talking, it was as if she had the intention to settle the fuss between them. Testing the waters, he asked, "Are you trying to end our rivalry?"

   Su Yon became silent, trying to figure out what to say. She continued to stare at him with a slightly pleased expression. After some time, she spoke. "That is my intention now. Shall we maintain as friends and move on instead of fighting over some sweet revenge?"

   "I have no intentions to fight you from the start. It was your initiative, and my mistake that changed our course. So..." He paused as he stood up and offered a handshake. "...let's kiss and make up, Director Jo. Let's put an end to our conflicts and be friends instead."

   Su Yon watched the way he moved with a beautiful grin. Slowly, she got up, and kindly accepted the formal gesture from her ex-husband. "Be friends we shall."

*****

Haesung Hospital Cafeteria

   It was midday and Mo Yeon was hungry. Carrying her lunch on the tray, she proceeded to find a place to seat. As usual, Chi Hoon was there to signal her.

   When, she sat down together with her friends at the table, she noticed that all of them were looking at her in a strange way, smiling and grinning in a conspicuous way as if they had seen something humiliating yet funny in front of their eyes. Overcome with wonder, she asked, "Why are you looking at me that way? Is there anything on my face?"

   "Aniyo! There is nothing on your face, sunbae!" Yoon Mi, who was sitting next to her, replied cutely. Then, she wrapped her arms around Mo Yeon's. "Geunde, sunbae, is it true that you have a boyfriend?"

   Mo Yeon glanced at her hoobae with a curious expression. "Ne. Waeyo?"

   "Did you kiss this morning?"

   Mo Yeon was about to put a spoonful into her mouth when Yoon Mi directed that question. Immediately, she froze. If she had done action a little bit faster, she would have choked already. Her eyes bulged wide, she quickly glanced at her hoobae. "Anigodeun! Who told you that?" Mo Yeon replied quickly.

   "It's me, Kang-sonsaeng..." Dr Song said cooly as he raised his hand slowly in a woman-like gesture, wriggling his fingers. "...and don't deny it. I know you did it."

   "Come on, Kang-sem! Spill it out!" Min Ji, sitting next to Yoon Mi, questioned impatiently.

   "What are you talking about? What's there to spill?" Mo Yeon asked, feigning innocence. She had already known by then what they were referring about.

   "Oh, come on! Don't pretend that you don't know! Dr Song saw the entire thing already!" Ja Ae spoke with a grin. "Tell me, what does he taste like?"

   Mo Yeon nearly puked when she heard Ja Ae said that. It sounded so wrong-so, so wrong. She sounded like a pervert. "Eh, Nurse Ha, what are you talking about? Don't you know that you sounded like a byuntae?"

   "Mo Yeon-ah, just honestly tell us. Did you and Si Jin kissed the morning?" Ji Soo inquired.

   Mo Yeon was geting a little bit irritated by their childish behaviour. It was disturbing her lunch. "Ani, ani, ani! Si Jin and I didn't kiss this morning! Happy? Where did you say you saw us, sunbae?"  She referred to Dr Song.

   "My car was parked ahead of you a few distance away. I even recorded it in my phone." Dr Song brandished his mobile in front of Mo Yeon.

   She dropped her jaw upon seeing his mobile. In an instant, her heart began to pump like mad. Instinctively, she reacted in a jolt. "Give me that mobile!" She squealed as she got up to grab his phone.

   Unfortunately, he was faster than her. In one quick motion, he pulled the phone away from her. "Waeyo? It's my phone!"

   "Hah! She admitted it!" Min Ji yelped in joy. She did a high-five to Yoon Mi, who was beginning to giggle non-stop. The rest of them too, began to laugh at Mo Yeon's antics

   It took Mo Yeon a few seconds for her brain to process what was going on. When reality hit her, she beat her head with her right hand as she sat back down, feeling absolutely embarrased for her clumsy actions. She had indirectly answered their questions, and she shrugged her head embarrassingly.

   Yah, Kang Mo Yeon! Why are you so clumsy?! Aish, jinjja! You deserve a slap!

   Ji Soo saw her best friend's face turning absolutely red in embarrassment, her head dropped to the floor. With all of them giggling except Mo Yeon, she told them to stop.

   "Mo Yeon-ah." She called out.

   Upon hearing Ji Soo's voice, Mo Yeon peeped at her. "What? Can't you see that I am embarrassed?"

  "Yah, Kang Mo Yeon. There is nothing to be embarrassed about. It is a thing between you two. We have no right to interfere." Everyone nodded their heads. "Besides, which couple never kisses?"

   "The two of you." Chi Hoon interjected, referring to Dr Song and Nurse Ha. Dr Song, irritated by Chi Hoon"'s sudden proclamation, gave him a death stare. That was enough to demand Chi Hoon to shut his itchy mouth.

   Mo Yeon finally regained her spirit and looked up, staring at their faces. "Well, okay, I did it. We did it voluntarily, good enough?"

  "So how did it felt?" Yoon Mi asked, her face beaming with the brightest of smiles.

  "That is not for you babies to know." Mo Yeon replied, patting Yoon Mi's head. Yoon Mi pouted her lips in disappointment.

  The sound of clattering heels interrupted their session, and they turned around towards the source of the sound. Their curiosities were answered when they found out that the rapid, running-like clattering sound came from the heels that belonged to none other than the slutty Dr Kim Eun Ji. She was running towards them, her hair jumbled up by the wind. She had a desperate look on her face.

   "Aish, this Kim Eun Ji! What does she want?" Ji Soo spoke, her voice sound irritated upon seeing her presence.

   Yoon Mi was curious to know why they disliked the said doctor. She couldn't see what was wrong with her.

   Dr Kim eventually reached destination and rudely banged the table, surprising them. "We've got a new Director!" She spoke swiftly.

   "New Director? What are you talking about?" Dr Song inquired. "Han Suk Won is our Director, isn't it?"

   "Not anymore. He got fired this morning."

   Her statement got everyone on the table into deep shock. They stared at each other in a state of confusion. Mo Yeon, in particular, began to wonder what was going on.

*****

   The surprise meeting was nothing more than the announcement of the sudden shift in the hospital's management board and discussions regarding the patient's welfare. Needless to say, it was just another boring half-an-hour talk on matters that were well beyond her scope of interest.

   The operating theatre would be much more interesting than this.

   She spinned her pen as she rested her head on her left hand, wondering when would the meeting be over. It was already ten minutes pass the supposedly intended time, and the boredom was killing her.

   "...if there are no other objections, then I declare the meeting adjourned." The conductor of the meeting spoke.

   The word 'adjourned' awakened Mo Yeon's senses. Relieved that the meeting was over, she outstretched her arm and let out a whose. She stood up, grabbed herbstuff and was about to walk off when suddenly, the conductor announced something.

   "Dr Kang, the Director wants to see you. Please stay back."

   In an instant, everyone stared at the said doctor with puzzled eyes, but seconds later they moved on. Mo Yeon could hear whispers coming out from their mouths and she could tell, they were absolutely curious. She herself too, was eager to find out why Director Jo wanted to see her. Quietly, she sat back down onto her seat, and waited patiently for the Director, who was on stage discussing something with a few men in ties.

   Mo Yeon began to observe her every move, from her simple hand gestures to her smile on her face. From her posture, she could tell that the lady in pink had been groomed perfectly to deal with people of high status. The way she talked, the way she moved her body, the way she moved her hands-all moving in a melancholic rhythm, full of dignity, mannerism and pride.

   She compared herself to the Director, and was quick to discover that she had nothing to compare wih her-she doesn't own a Mercedes, a large bungalow with a swimming pool, or even the expensive Gucci handbag. She didn't possess that type of mannerism and confidence in herself. Mo Yeon bet that even the lipstick she used was nothing compared to the one the Director was using. She sighed, and then dropped her head.

   High-profile people with really exquisite lifestyles. Kang Mo Yeon, Kang Mo Yeon, you are incomparable to them!

   "Sleeping already, Dr Kang?"

   The sudden calling shook Mo Yeon out from her reverie. Instantly, she looked up, and saw the Director standing next to her. That caught her completely off-guard.

   When did she come up here?

*****

   Mo Yeon saw Director Jo leaning against the steel railing of the hospital rooftop some distance away, tucking a strand of her shoulder-length black hair behind her ear. Holding two cups of coffee, she walked towards her new chief, wondering at the same time why she wanted to see her.

   Director Jo heard the sound of footsteps and looked up to see the lady in blue scrubs walking towards her. She flashed a smile towards the doctor.

   "Here is your coffee, Mrs Jo." Mo Yeon said smilingly as she passed the medium-sized polystyrene cup to her.

   "Kamsahamnida." Director Jo expressed as she took the cup. While Mo Yeon leaned against the railing beside her, she began to open the mouthpiece and drank its content. "Nice coffee." She commented to Mo Yeon. Mo Yeon simply nodded her head with a polite smile.

   Director Jo realised that Mo Yeon felt awkward. "Feeling uncomfortable, Dr Kang?"

   Mo Yeon turned her head towards her boss in one quick movement and shook her head. "Ani, aniyo. It's just that...." She paused, trying to figure out what to say. "...why do you want to see me?"

   Director Jo grinned. "Well, I just....want to make friends."

   "Friends?" Mo Yeon asked, her mind trying to decipher what her boss was trying to say. "I don't understand..."

   "I know, right? You must be wondering-'why would a woman like me attempt to make friends with you', right?" Director Jo spoke, as if able to read Mo Yeon's thoughts. "Well, I honestly want to be your friend, that's all. No intentions whatsoever."

   Mo Yeon sensed some feeling of loneliness on her voice. It was like a plead, not a statement. That's when she realised that behind those charismatic layers Mrs Jo had put on herself, her soul was actually pleading for attention. Still, Mo Yeon felt uncertain. She decided to ask. "You are lonely?"

   Su Yon forked out a smile. She was glad that someone eventually finally knew what she needed. "Ne, I am."

   That made Mo Yeon wonder. "So...why me?"

   "Because you look approachable. In fact, you are the only person that I seem to trust. The ones I had were all having their own ways or they were eager for my status." She sighed, and took another sip. "Materialistic world, isn't it? Everyone seemed to care more about their pockets than their associates."

   Mo Yeon hummed in agreement while nodding her head at the same time. What her Chief had just said was very true, but it also reminded hr that she was once that kind of person. "Well, I was a materialistic person before." She admitted, causing the Director to glance at her.

   "You are?"

   "Not anymore." Mo Yeon grinned. "Someone changed my perception, and an unfateful event too. That made me realise that I've been wildly chasing for something that will give me contentment, but not happiness. I may be contented with my achievements, but in the long run I may not feel happy because this feeling of contentment will run out. While in Uruk, I saw these people, children, for example. They are poor, and have no food to eat. The war changed everything in their lives, but still these children can come together and play as if nothing had happened. They laugh and smile. Seeing them being so happy brings joy to my heart."

   Director Jo nodded her head with a smile.

   "So that's when I realised that-seeing them smile again is what makes me happy. This is our real job as doctors-to bring back joy to our patient's hearts so that they can go back to their families and spread the love." Mo Yeon took a sip of her coffee.

   Director Jo was starting to like the doctor. Finally, she had found a perfect partner with the same ideas of life. Then, she realised something. "So who's that someone?"

   Her question seemed to have surprised Mo Yeon because she quickly turned her head towards her boss upon hearing it. "Ne.....oh, that!" Mo Yeon blushed with a sheepish grin. "It's nothing!"

   Instantly, Director Jo knew what it was. She giggled, and then poked Mo Yeon's arm. "Eyh, how could there be nothing! Look at you-you are as red as a tomato!"

   "Jinjja?!" Mo Yeon squealed as she cupped her face adorably.

   Director Jo continued to giggle. "It's very obvious! Come on, spill it! You have a boyfriend, right? Let me guess-a chaebol? A minister's son? Or is it Lee Min Ho?"

   Director Jo's questions made Mo Yeon blush even more. Sheepishly, she replied, "None of the above."

   "Jinjja? So who's that guy that got your heart so smitten?"

   Mo Yeon felt absolutely embarrassed right now. She blushed so much that her cheeks began to hurt. "You are not going to believe what I will say."

   "Oh, come on! Just spill it!" Director Jo insisted, her face enlightened.

  Mo Yeon took a few moments to begin. "Well, my boyfriend's not a chaebol, not a minister's son or even Lee Min Ho. My boyfriend's rather descent, and he serves in the army."

   Director Jo's eyes bulged wide upon hearing Mo Yeon's proclamation. She was amazed that a doctor like Mo Yeon would have military boyfriend. "Wow. A soldier's girlfriend, huh?"

   "Unbelievable, right?" Mo Yeon spoke. "I couldn't believe it myself, too."

   Director Jo became a little bit more curious about Mo Yeon's soldier boyfriend. "Well, if it is not to much for me to ask, could you tell me more about him? I just want to know, don't worry! I won't steal your namja chingu away!" Sh explained, fearing that Mo Yeon would misunderstood her intentions.

   It was Mo Yeon's turn to giggle at her boss's rather cute expression. "I know you won't." She declared confidently.

   "Wah, jinjja? You are really confident!"

   "When it comes to my namchin, I will be very protective. No one, I repeat, no one can steal him away from me-" She unexpectedly leaned closer to her boss and whispered, "-not even you!" She pulled back, and then twitched her eyebrows mischievously which caused Director Jo to let out a smile that was filled with awe and amazement. "Anyway.." Mo Yeon began, "...he stole my heart at a first glance. I scoffed it away at first, but then the feeling got stronger. That's when....."

   And then Mo Yeon kept on describing about her boyfriend as  Director Jo simply listened with a grin. Unexpectedly, a bond between them was forged, under strange circumstances. They were supposed to be having a employer-employee relationship, but it turned out differently. Director Jo refuses to acknowledge the rank, and Mo Yeon opened up to her slowy. Without them knowing it, they became friends.

   For Director Jo Su Yon, she had finally found a perfect partner for herself-a honest, noble and dedicated young doctor named Kang Mo Yeon.

  Now, she will never be lonely again.

*****

Paradise Busan Hotel
Busan
Later that night

   He stood at the very edge of the roof, his hands outstretched as he felt the wind blowing through his body. He had longed for it, ever since he came out of his cave, and finally he had that opportunity. He told himself from now on that he would keep doing that, as long as the winds were in his favour. Inhaling the air of the bustling city port, his mind reawakened, and he turned his attention to the sound of a man grunting in pain.

   He stepped off the railing, and then in a style that represented utter convidence and sheer pride, he buttoned up his black suit as he walked towards the unlucky, bloodied victim who had been bruised badly by his goons.

   One punch from one of his goons in the stomach created such intense pain in the poor guy's soul. Wasted and all used up, he fell to the floor, his will to resist all but zapped. The guy's training had not been working well, and it cost him greatly.

   In one whiff of a finger, the man in dark suit ordered his subordinates to leave. They were obedient enough, and they stood in line as they witnessed their boss's very own interrogating skills. He grabbed the hair of the victim, who was lying in pain on the floor, and yanked him in a single pull, bringing the guy's head up and stared deep into his eyes. "Nice view, isn't it?" He began with a soft voice, in Mandarin. "I've never expected myself to be in this place."

   The victim never said a word and instead glared at the man with furious eyes. That only made him chuckle. "Still trying to remember your training, I see! Too bad though, it doesn't work on me." He patted the man's face three times. "You should spill it out, then, I can spare your life. I can offer you a job-a better job than this. Satisfaction guaranteed."

   The man wasn't going to buy the bait. Furiously, he spit blood at the guy in front of him, staining his suit. "What...makes you think....that I will...betray my side....huh?" He maaged to twitch a brow, despite his weak state. "I'm not...like you! You...betrayed your country..our motherland!"

   The man in dark shades and already-stainted black suit simply chuckled at the victim's statement. "Betray? No, I don't think so, Lu Wenqun." He let go of his grip, making the victim fall back to the ground, and stood up. He took out a piece of handkerchief and wiped off the blood on his suit. Although it wasn't so obvious due to the colour of his suit, hr didn't like how the blood blended into it. To him, it was like keeping a piece of useless, smelly trash under the house. "It is the country that betrayed me, comrade." He turned around and walked a of a steps away, staring at the urban landscape of the city port in front of him.

   The victim tried to get up on his knees, but he was too weak. "Yoy are not supposed to live, traitor! You are.....supposed to be in the grave...with your family!"

   The word 'family' crept into his soul as if it had a life of its own like a virus, and instantly his heart fumed with rage. Memories-memories of his last moments with his family came into mind. Their faces of fear, in the eyes of his dearest wife and his only daughter, were vivid in his mind, against the backdrop of their burning castle. His heart began to hurt, and without knowing it, he began to shed a tear.

   No! You cannot be weak! You cannot show them your fear, your weakness! They are the cause of their death! Avenge them!

   He took off his shades and wiped away that tear, revealing at the same time his scar over his left eye. He turned around towards that agent he had sniffed out of his hole, only to see him laughing as if he had caught his attention just the way he wanted it to be.

   The agent may have got it right, but the outcome was clear-the agent had dug his own grave.

   The boss snapped his fingers to one of his right-hand man, and the man-in a black cap,     jacket and black trousers, stepped out front and center with a file. He gave it to his boss and returned to his position. The boss then showed the compromised agent the cover of the file, which sent the agent into deep shock.

   The cover of the file had the agent's agency emblem on it-the Ministry of State Security.

   "How did you get those?" The agent asked in a surprised tone.

   The man simply chuckled, and then crouched in front of his victim. "Do you think that I am so stupid, to let you follow me all the way from the US down to Uruk then all the way down here so that you can spy on me? I'm no fool, comrade." He flipped the pages of the file. "Your family's in Shanghai, isn't it? What, two months pregnant and you have a son? Wow, Lu Wenqun! Now I know why China has a population of 1.34 billion! You are a great contributor! Wait..hold on a minute, I thought the one-child policy is stil in effect? What, the government let you go? Huh, how generous!" He closed back the file.

   "Don't you dare touch my family!" The agent warned, his rage boiling. He felt threatened by the evil guy's statement.

   The agent's warning sounded like a joke to him as he began to laugh. He patted the agent's shoulder. "Don't worry! I won't hurt them! Do you know why-because they are dead! All it took is just one small, itty-bitty hole in the gas pipe, and a sparkle of fire-" He trailed off, and then mocked an event of an explosion with his two hands with a mischievous smile. "Boom! Can you imagine it, the fireworks? Or better yet, the screams of your wife and children burning to death, the smell of burning flesh? Bet they are like roasted chicken right now..no, wait, an overcooked, charred piece of meat, I would say.."

   The agent could not believe his ears. His heart crumbled into pieces, shattered beyond repair. The large vacuum was immediately filled with an unspeakable amount of rage which somehow filled his body with fuel. With that fuel, he burned into flames, and he grabbed the murderer's collar. "You lunatic, sadistic swine! I will kill-"

   Before the agent could finish, the man whacked the agent with the rolled-up file in full strength. The blow sent the agent spiralling onto the floor. His goons carried the agent up aggressively, holding his hands behind his back and gripping both sides of his shoulder. The man then whacked the agent's head a few more times with that file in hand until the two-hundred-page file crumpled badly. He threw the file away, and then proceeded into punching the agent's face with his knuckles. The totally defenseless agent bled profusely, his final will sucked dry.

   The man grabbed the agent's hair, and pulled it up until the agent's eyes met his scarred face. "You listen to me, you pig! This is what the country had delivered to me. They've trained me to become a murderer, and a murderer I became! It is all thanks to you! You caused my family's death, so now you know how I feel! You want to avenge your family, fine! I'll see you in hell!"

   The agent unexpectedly laughed, puzzling the man slightly. "Do you think that by killing me, it would all be over? Not a chance, Sun Yang, not a chance! We are everywhere-all around you! We are larger than you think! We are tracking you every second, every minute, every hour, every day, every damn week that you can think of! And I didn't kill your family. It was your mistake that had caused your two Korean buddies to kill them! You cannot escape, Sun Yang! You will never will!"

   This time, Sun Yang's heart was as hard as stone. The agent's attempt to break his will failed, and he replied with a sinister chuckle. He patted the agent's face again. "I think, you are entirely misinformed, Wenqun. I know where all of you are. For the record, I think almost the entire MSS ring in Korea sent here to track me down are in the bottom of the Pacific right now, eaten by sharks! A clean sweep in one day faster than a computer!"

   Upon hearing that the entire ring has been compromised, he froze. That meant that the organisation had been compromised down to the core, and they fell into his trap. With all hope lost, he surrendered to his fate-but not without a word of advice.

   "That...doesn't change anything, Sun Yang. In the end, you will fall. The Koreans are looking for you too, Sun Yang. You cannot escape justice. One day, the truth will be out.." He paused for a while before continuing with a rather sarcastic jibe. "Welcome to Korea, comrade."

   "Then it's time for me to say goodbye too, comrade. Nice suicide note on your table, Wenqun. I'm sure your family in Heaven will like it." Sun Yang turned away and put on his glasses. "Till we meet again, in hell." He finally walked away, after signalling his goons to carry out his orders. The goons complied, an dragged him towards the edge to the roof.

   Wenqun looked down towards the busy road down below, and resented to his fate. The images of his pregnant wife and son appeared in his vision, and with a grin he shed his tears.

   I'm coming home, everyone...

   A violent impact hit his skull, and in an instant, his nerves died. The impact surged him forward, and down he went to the street below. The dead body crashed onto a parked limousine, denting the roof of the car completely and shattered its glasses as the people around the vicinity jumped in shock. It didn't take long for a young lady to realise that there was a dead body on it, and she screamed in fright.

   Sun Yang removed the silencer off the nozzle of his sidearm and kept it in his pocket. He bent down to pick up the spent canister, and the file on the floor. He turned the other way around and threw the canister away from him, leaving no evidence at all. Then, he walked towards the man in black. He passed the file back to the man. "Have you found anything?" Sun Yang asked in perfect Hangul.

   The man simply smirked. "Tonnes of them, Chief. Tonnes of them." He snapped his fingers, calling one of Sun Yang's men who was holding an envelope. The man came forward and passed the envelope to him. "This.." He said, lifting the file up, "-is everything." He passed the envelope to Sun Yang.

   Sun Yang took the envelope and opened it. He removed the contents. Upon seeing the first page, Sun Yang smirked. "Now, this is interesting-" He turned to the next page, and once again, he began to chuckle-a little bit louder this time. "-this is really, really interesting!" After flipping a few more pages, he was satisfied with what he saw, and placed them back into the envelope, except for two photographs. He passed back the envelope to the man. "I wasn't wrong to sniff you out of the NIS. You have done your job pretty well."

   "That's my specialty. Anything else?" The man asked, his greedy eyes imploring for more-duties.

   "Continue your scout on them, but this time, switch a little bit. Bet the soldier in the base needs some recuperation." Sun Yang ordered, patting the man's shoulder. "Move on, and don't get caught-Park Shin Seok." He advised.

  Shin Seok, the man in black, simply continued to smirk. "Will do, Chief. And don't worry, I know how my agency works. They will never sniff me out. I operate right under their noses, and they will never find out." Shin Seok spoke confidently.

  "Glad to have you by my side. Get going." Sun Yang spoke, patting Shin Seok's arm.

  "What are you going to do about them?" Shin Seok inquired, trying to clear his doubts. He placed his hands into his pocket.

   "I know what to do. This is the time to draw them out.' He paused for a while as he planned for his next move. Then, something clicked in his mind. He snapped his finger. "Send someone to do some recon at Seoul Station. I want to know everything about it."

   Shin Seok knitted his brows in confusion. "Seoul Station?"

   "I've got plans. Get moving now. We have a lot of work to do."

   Shin Seok could say no more. He knew it was pointless to ask him further. Sun Yang preferred to keep his plans in the dark, but from the way he was doing right now, it seemed to him that Sun Yang had already had a big plan in mind.

   "Ahrasseo. Will do." Finally Shin Seok walked off, along with Sun Yang's men.

   The sounds of police sirens broke the peace of the night as Sun Yang, now all alone on the rooftop, glanced at the two photographs in hand. Under the reflection of the headlights, he could see their faces on the photographs-all smiling and looking really happy with their loved ones. That enraged him.

   As fury climbed up into his soul, his mind went back to the incident that night.

   It was blurry and humid, and he was perspirating madly. He remembered holding his black Magnum as he ran to find a place to escape. He reached the hallway, and he thought he was lucky.

   He wasn't.

  Under the sound of gunfire, someone appeared at the end of the hallway. The man was alone, just like Sun Yang, except that the man, in full military gear, had a duty-to kill him.

   The Captain never fired, and instead approached him cautiously. Torchlight attached to his sidearm flashing at his face, the all-to-familiar Captain pronounced his name in a deep, demanding tone.

   Sun Yang.

   "Daewi....Yoo Si Jin." He pronounced unknowingly as he returned to reality. "Long time no see, dear comrade."

   He took out a lighter, and set the photo ablaze. He watched as the fire consumed every inch of the photograph to dust. When the fire neared his fingers, he dropped the photographs and let the fire do its work naturally.

  "Yoo Si Jin...Seo Dae Young.... I'm back. This time, I will make you pay."

   One bit...

   ...At a time.

============================

End of Chapter Two

Two chapters gone, now for the third one. The real deal is coming..

Happy reading!

NIS-National Intelligence Service

MSS-Ministry of State Security

Korean military ranks
Captain= Daewi

Romanised Korean Words & Expressions
Yeoja: Girlfriend
Pabo: Fool
Ahrasseo: Okay/ I understand
Ani/ Anigodeun: No
Sonsaeng: Mr/ Mrs/ Miss
Jeongmal: Really
Saranghaeyo: I love you
Annyeong: Goodbye
Jinjja: Also means Really
Omo: Oh my goodness
Daebak: Awesome
Ottoke: How (What to do)
Yeobosaeyo: Hello
Byuntae: Pervert
Waeyo: Why
Kamsahamnida: Thank you
Chaebol: Rich Korean conglomerates responsible for Korea's rapid economic growth in the 70's
Namja chingu/ Namchin: Boyfriend
Geunde: Anyway

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.3K 1.7K 67
When Dr. L/n Y/n, the psychiatrist in Haesung hospital gets called down to see a patient recovering from a traumatic accident, she encounters Yoo Shi...
207 6 11
"Want me to teach the reproduction topic again..!?" "You think u can have me !?" "Aishh...theoretical explanation or practical explanation!?" "Oh fuc...
339 12 12
Lee Y/N, a dedicated business women. She works for a big record company, helping young artist earn their keep. She's always wanted a family and is ti...