Where Home Had Always Lain...

By ChromtheChrommander

Lucina and Morgan Lowell are currently living with their Aunt Lissa and Uncle Frederick. They miss their pare... More

Part 2

Part 1

470 19 15
By ChromtheChrommander

Lucina yawned, getting the sleep out of her system and stretched her arms above her head.

I wonder when I'll see Mother and Father... I miss them so much... She pushed her blue hair out of her eyes and back into her yellow headband. Why couldn't I have joined them too? When they ---

"LLLLUUUCCIIIIIII!!" A blue haired six year old boy barged into the room.

Gods, I've never seen Morgan run so fast! Lucina looked up, alarmed.

"What's wrong, Morgan?!"

"A roach!" The young boy cried.

"A... roach? As in the bug?" Lucina sighed.

"No! Not a bug! I love bugs! A roach! Like a freakish big nightmarish one that has big hairy legs, and IT'S GOING TO KILL ME!!!"

Lucina picked her younger brother up and smiled bravely. "It's okay, Morgs. It won't hurt you because I'm here!"

Morgan hugged her tightly, "Yay! You're the best big sister EVVVEEERRR!!!!"

Lucina beamed happily. "That's right... If there was anything that made this life worth living for... It would've been you..."

There was a sudden buzzing in the room, and a large cockroach came flying in through the door.

"IT CAN FLY??!!! LUUUCCCIIIII!!KIILLLL IIIITTTT!!!!!" Morgan cried.

"Don't worry, Morgs!" Lucina grimaced determinately, but then faltered. "I'll... Oh dear... But it is quite large and hairy and creepy and disgusting, isn't it..."

"WHAT?! Mom and Dad told you to take care of your little brother, didn't they?" Morgan glared at her. Lucina hesitated for a moment, "Well, yes... They did..."

"Hey! What's going on in here?" A man with tidy brown hair walked in, his face serious and frowning as usual.

"Huh? Oh, hello, Uncle Frederick!" Morgan smiled cheerfully. "We're just trying to kill a roach!"

"A cockroach? Honestly, you two..." He walked carefully over to where the cockroach was resting and squashed it beneath his foot. "You both are too old for this."

Before heading out the door, Frederick paused for a moment, sticking his head back into the door frame. "By the way, you aunt and I need you two down in the kitchen. We have something to tell you."

They waited politely for their uncle to leave and sat back down on the floor. Morgan laughed. "Haha, figures he'd be the one to kill it. Uncle's unshakable."

"Indeed, though he's much less composed when it comes to scolding us..." Lucina's face fell.

"Aw, you really upset about that? I actually kind of enjoyed it," Morgan replied positively.

"You seriously enjoyed the scolding?" Lucina laughed.

Morgan giggled, "I enjoyed the whole thing! It was hilarious!"

"Well, it did have it's moments," Lucina smiled. "Kind of when we got in trouble all the time with Father..." Something that'll never happen again...

"Dad? Oh... Oh! Didn't Aunt Lissa mention that we'd be visiting them today? Mom and Dad?"

"Is that so? That's wonderful! It must be what Aunt Lissa and Uncle Frederick want to talk to us about!" Lucina exclaimed happily, "We haven't seen them since..." Her face darkened, and her smile slipped off her face. "Oh well, no use dredging up the past."

Morgan looked up curiously at Lucina. "What do you mean?" he asked, confused.

Lucina plastered on a smile and replied, "It's nothing. Come now, let's go downstairs."

The two blue haired siblings slowly walk down the stairs, hand-in-hand, and into the spacious kitchen. It was still in the middle spring; sun was high in the sky. The bright sunbeams filtered into the large room, illuminating a woman, waiting for her niece and nephew, her green eyes sparkling with a mischievous determination.

"Finally you two are down here!" she exclaimed with a tinge of exasperation. "Well, anyway," she grinned, "Frederick and I have something important to tell you!"

"Is it about Mother and Father, Aunt Lissa?" Lucina asked tentatively.

Lissa laughed. "Right on, Lucina!" her smile faltered a bit. "You know, it's Big Brother's birthday, today. Your father's," Lissa said sadly. Her voice fell. "So I thought that it'd be a good idea to take you both and see them..." Frederick placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Anxious, Morgan tried to comfort his aunt. "Don't worry, Aunt Lissa! I think it's a wonderful idea! I can't wait to see Mom and Dad! I bet they'd be so happy to see us, even if they're all the way in ---"

Lucina placed a hand over his talkative mouth and forced a smile.

"I'm sure Father would be happy if we were to go see him and Mother. It's okay, Aunt Lissa."

Lissa smiled and laughed again through her tears. "Oh, the two of you shouldn't worry about me so much. But it's sweet of the you both." She checked the clock hanging on the wall and smiled cheerfully. "Anyway, we'll be driving down to the field in a few minutes, so get ready!"

"Hey, Morgs, do you want to collect some flowers with me for Father and Mother?" Lucina asked, a slight smile creeping up on her face. I can finally see them. Mother and Father...

"Sure! Race you to the garden!" He laughed back. The two bluenets ran off and out the door, kicking up a trail of dust behind them.

Back in the kitchen Lissa smiled sadly. "I think that it's great those two have each other. So many of their family members and friends have gone on now; Emmeryn, Phila, and now Chrom and Luna... It's no wonder I haven't seen Lucina smile lately... And she misses them so much as well..."

Frederick frowned grimly. "Time heals all wounds. Give her some space, I'm sure she'll one day understand."

"I do hope so, Frederick."

----

"Hey, Luci, what were Mom and Dad like?" Morgan asked suddenly, his back facing her.

Lucina raised her eyebrows, surprised. "You don't remember? Ah, that's right, you were only a year old when - "

Morgan suddenly turned back again her, eyes full of tears. "Did Mom and Dad really love us?"

Lucina felt as if she'd been punched; she closed her eyes. "I - Of course they did! What makes you say that?"

Morgan sniffled. "But if they loved us that much then why did they leave? Didn't they want to be with us forever?!"

Lucina slowly wrapped her arms around his small frame and hugged him tightly. "Oh, Morgan, they didn't want to leave us. They - it wasn't their fault. They didn't want to go..." But why couldn't I have come with them?

"So they really didn't want to leave us?" Morgan sniffed, wiping his eyes.

"No..." Lucina shook her head, "They really didn't..."

"Well," Morgan smiled half-heartedly and stepped away. "I guess that's enough, but I wish I got to know them."

"They were the best parents anyone could ask for. You would've loved them."

"Lucina! Morgan! Time to go!!" the two children heard their aunt call out.

"Oh... and we didn't get a chance to get flowers for Mom and Dad. What a shame." Morgan said, downhearted, "I guess they'll just have to put up with the cold ground."

Lucina patted his head gently.

"It's okay, I'm sure they'd understand, Morgs."

"Lucina!!! Morgan!!! Hurry up, the two of you!" they could hear their uncle's frustrated shouts.

"Hehehe, Luci, we better go before Uncle Frederick is forced to find us. And that'd be bad," the young boy laughed. Lucina giggled in response.

"Well then. Let's go finally see Mother and Father, Morgs."

"Race you to the car!"

With the wind at her back and her little brother running at her side, it was as if nothing was wrong in her life. And yet, Lucina thinks, I wish that the days I'd done this everyday with Father, Mother, and Morgs had gone on forever. I still wish that on the day Mother and Father left us, I still wish that they'd taken me too. It's selfish, I know, but it's true. Home is, after all, where the heart is. This place, even with Aunt Lissa, Uncle Stahl, and Morgs, is not home, and it will never be. Home is where... Mother and Father AND Morgs are, isn't it?

...

But that's impossible...

The car rolled out of the driveway and onto the empty street. Lucina smiled in excitement. I'm going to see them, I'm going to see Mother and Father finally! but then her face darkens in disappointment, But at the same time, it's not really actually seeing them again, is it? I mean, we are technically going to see them and all, but... It's not the same. Morgan will never be able to get to know Mother and Father, we'll never celebrate any holidays together as a family, Mother and I will never pull pranks on Father again...

They say your home is where your heart is. But what if my heart is six feet underground with you?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.8M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
1.1M 35.9K 62
π’π“π€π‘π†πˆπ‘π‹ ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
882K 20K 48
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.