The Demoner Series: The Trails

By readingguys

Joel is a thirteen years old orphan and has been bullied since young. One night, he found out he has magical... More

Author's words
Chapter One - War
Chapter Two - The Last Survivor
Chapter Three - Trouble with Raymond
Chapter Four - The Cold Riot
Chapter Five - The Escape To Playground
Chapter Six - Raymond
Chapter Seven - The Demoners
Chapter Eight - The Demoner Academy
Chapter Nine - The Demonic Tests
Chapter Ten - Accidents
Chapter Eleven - The Demoner's Uniforms
Chapter Thirteen - The Call For Duty
Chapter Fourteen - The Beginning Of A New Age
Chapter Fifteen - A Waste Of Time
Chapter Sixteen - Chronicle Map
Chapter Seventeen - Day One
Chapter Eighteen - Manart
Chapter Nineteen - Starubius's presence
Chapter Twenty - First Attack

Chapter Twelve - Starubius

103 11 7
By readingguys

"What about Scarlet? It is red," Chloe suggests, indicating the red scales lined on the dragon's body.

"I don't think so, probably Andros? At least something cooler or awesome," I say.

  Suddenly, a man appears from behind me. His face is covered with his black hood, a thick shadow hides his facial features. Wanting to see his face, I turn on my Night Vision and look at him. His bushy eyebrows lines thickly above his black coloured eye, fixed into my gaze. His face is shaved. His nose is rounded, a faint mark of moustache grows below his nostrils. His sharp chin can be seen pointed out of the shadow of his hood.

"Don't even think about it," he says with a deep mysterious voice. "I have named my dragon that already. Think of something else then."

"Hm, how about Starubius? It is like a star ruby, red and a gem," Chloe suggests again.

"Starubius... That's not a bad name," I think out loud. I look at the man, asking for any suggestion.

"Well, I can't decide on the name, it's your choice anyway," the man shrugs, "But I can say that it isn't a bad choice."

  "So Starubius it is!" Chloe exclaims happily, fist bumping the air.

  Starubius coils around my neck with happiness. I smile at the little dragon. Starubius, I think, that shall be your name.

  "Man, I'm so jealous, I have yet to know my inner demon," Chloe sighs.

Just then, the PA system turns on with a crackle. "Sorry for the interruption. First Year students please report to the canteen. I repeat, First Year students please report to the canteen. Thank you." With that, the PA system turns off with a crackle.

"That's your cue then," the man says.

Chloe tugs on my sleeve. "Come on, we've got to go to the canteen," she says before rushing off.

"Where is the canteen?" I ask, jogging behind her. I turn back to the man, his figure fading with distance. As we make our way to the canteen, I made a point to keep a reasonable distance behind Chloe, for her hair is long.

"Just follow me," she replies. We run deeper and deeper into the village and reach an open space with tables laid around.

"There!" Chloe points at a round table with a stand showing the number one. It is filled with other Demoners, seated in a circle around the large table. Two seats were left and the two of us sit on the empty chairs. A tall middle aged man in yellow uniform cleared his throats to get everyone's attention.

"Welcome to the Demoner Academy. I am Captain Lynch and I'll be your mentor for this year," the man begins, an air of authority and confidence in him. "Now I'm going to take your attendances," Captain Lynch says, taking out a wooden clip board and a graphite pencil. "First off, Alexander?"

"Here."

"Chloe?"

"Present."

"Dylan?"

"Present."

"Ernest?"

"Here."

"Francis?"

"Here."

This went on for quite a while. I quietly count a total of twenty one First Year students.

  "Okay, all are here," says Captain Lynch, clipping the pencil on the board. "Your first lesson will start in two days, so you would need to know the rules. The first rule is no fighting, unless they are combat sessions under a teacher's supervision. No inappropriate use of spells, for example, using a speeding spell to rush to your class." I look down in embarrassment, realising that I had broke a rule unknowingly.

  "Demons are not allowed unless when needed in class," Captain Lynch looks at me, "So Joel, that is a rare demon you have, but you've got to implant him. Meet me after dinner." The moment he says "dinner", my stomach growls deeply. "And no talking unless if allowed in lessons. Report to class at least five minutes early to get ready, I don't want any complain on these cases. You have been warned," Captain Lynch looks sternly at the circle of students before him.

  The academy's bells begin to ring. "Now it's settled, it's dinner time!" Announces Captain Lynch. The huts around the ring of tables begin to open, showcasing a wide range of food and delicacy.

  Chloe pulls on my hand and says,"Come on, I'm hungry!" Students got off their seats and go around looking for a meal to choose. The wide variety of food is stunning. There were noodles and rice available with a mixture of ingredients. Chicken seems to be the most popular among all ingredients followed by this red sauce called Chilli. We were given coupons for a free meal today. We will be getting pocket moneys every week, so we'll have to spend it wisely, Captain Lynch had told us before he left.

  I order a plate of meal which consists of rice, sliced cucumber, egg and fried chicken. What's more, I even add a thick Chilli sauce! As I carried the plate of food to the table, the delicious aroma fill my nose and my mouth starts to water. I can already imagine it in my stomach. This is a buffet compared to the plain mashed potatoes the orphanage provided.

  Chloe sits on my left. She has noodles with Chilli filled soup. It also has fishballs and cabbage in it. "It's called laksa," she tells me, "I love the spice in the soup!" She takes a deep sip of the spicy soup before releasing a loud exhale of enjoyment.

  Just then a sandy haired boy sits beside me, he ordered a plate of rice with neatly cut chickens on top, covered with a special sauce and a bowl of soup to complete the meal. He place his plate on the table, his eyes shown bright red. He is wearing a red uniform, immediately registered in my mind as a red Demoner. He is surprisingly thinner than me, but below his skin, I can tell that a thin and built muscles are fixed within his flesh. A smile fixed on his brown face.

  His red coloured eyes turns towards me and holds out a hand. "Hi I'm Jason, what's your name?" He introduces with a wider smile.

  I take his hand and shook it, "I'm Joel, how are you?"

"The food's good, the weather's good so I think I'm good," Jason replies, taking a bite on his chicken.

The sky begin to turn dark and before he knew it, it is raining. "Never mind," he grumbles, looking back down to his food. I laugh and turn back to Chloe, who's frowning and looking down at her drenched uniform. Starubius tries to hide from the rain and dodges under the table.

"Aw man, I just got this just a while ago," Chloe groans. I look around and see other Demoners beginning to walk to a smaller than usual hut, where they take out a large umbrella made from leaves.

"I'll get the umbrella," offers a guy beside Jason. He stood up and headed for the hut. He carries the umbrella to the table where he plants the umbrella through a hole in the table.

"Thanks," I say, "What's your name?"

"I'm Lucas, what are yours?" He replies, gesturing to us. He seems to resemble Jason, their matching facial shape and resembling shape of their eye. He is bigger built compared to Jason, his uniform shapes out his broad shoulders and muscled arms.

"I'm Jason," Jason shoots out his hands in an instant, a mischievous grin forms on his face.

"We're brothers," Lucas glares at Jason, who laughs at his own joke, putting his hands down to his sides.

"I'm Joel and she's Chloe," I say with a smile, gesturing to the eating figure. Chloe looks up from her meal and waves a hand to Lucas before looking back down to her food.

"Is she that quiet?" Lucas asks, tilting his head to a side with disappointment.

"She's just momentarily surprised with you and is speechless at the moment," Jason whisper to Lucas, just loud enough for all of us to hear. As if on cue, Lucas chokes on his food, Chloe spits her soup out while I am stunned for a moment.

"What?" The four of us say in unison. I am surprised, Chloe is shocked, Lucas is angry. As for Jason, he acts innocent.

"I'm just stating," Jason reasons and the rest of us decide to ignore him. "The fact," Jason finishes, earning himself the same scene before him again.

"That I'm speechless of your stupidity? I'm fine with that," Chloe says, staring at Jason. Jason nudges at Lucas.

"Told you."

"You son of a witch," Lucas says. Well, he didn't say that but the word he said rhymes either way.

"Hey, so are you!" Jason backfires.

"Jason, I think that's enough," a new voice joins the conversation, "I'm sure that Lucas isn't your son."

"Hey Alex, I thought you were my friend," Jason whimpers.

"Notice the "were"," the boy named Alex answers, earning a chorus of laughter around the table.

"Good one, Alex," I say.

"Traitor," Jason mutters before taking a bite on his chicken.

"Yes, I am."

"Betrayer."

"That too."

"Playboy."

"Yes, that, wait what?" Alexander exclaims.

"I knew it," Jason concludes.

"Guys, can we eat in peace and quietness?" Chloe says.

"Nah, the rain is noisy," Jason comments.

"Look who's talking."

"Chloe."

"Shut up."

"And you got shut down."

"Or I'll beat you to the ground."

"And I will call Captain Lycnh now."

"Then I'll stop you without a sound."

For a moment it seems that they were rapping, for the words they say rhymes. Either coincidence or intentionally.

"Guys, be nice to each other," I scolds, trying to put a stop to this.

"Yes, Uncle Joel," they say in unison with a mock guilt like kindergarten kids, before looking back to finish their meal.

I roll my eyes and ate the last bit of rice. I bring my plates to the plate collection bins. The rain showers on me, wetting me from head to toe.

  I stretch and yawn, regretting immediately as the rain pours into my nose and mouth. Man, do I feel tired. I went back to the table where Starubius jumps back on my drenched shoulders. "Bye guys, I've got to go now," I say as I wave them goodbye. Just as I am about to leave, a thick skinned hand lands on my shoulder.

  "Forgetting me?" A deep voice speaks from behind. Captain Lynch wears his waxed hood over his head, sheltering his head from the rain.

  "Captain Lynch?" I ask in surprise.

  "Yes, it's me. Follow me," Captain Lynch replies before taking the lead to the castle. As we enter the castle, Captain Lynch takes a towel from a towel booth near the entrance. "Here, dry yourself, don't want to dirty the castle, would you?" Captain Lynch says, passing the towel to me.

  "Thanks, Captain Lynch," I say, wiping hard to remove the moisture from my body.

  He grunts in reply and continues through the castle. I rush behind him, vigorously rubbing the towel on my head.

  The large hall of the castle are lighted up by candle chandeliers, removable torches and doors lined across the walls. Staircases built at every corner, their doors leading both in and out of the castle. Historical artworks hang along the sides of the hexagon hall. It shows a variety of war and fights. Orgs, humans, elves and dwarves are depicted in the artworks.

  Elves and dwarves, I think to myself, do they really exist?

There! A new chapter. Apologies for those of you who tried to share their idea on the dragon's name. Don't worry, I will be including those names for other characters in the story. :P

Thanks to @Dante_Greywolf and @Nieka123 for sharing your ideas. I greatly appreciate your help.

  Don't forget to vote, share this book and include your friends to this magical life of Joel Lim! ;)
Add into the comments your suggestion and ideas on Joel's fate as a Demoner. Remember, every one counts! :D

  Have a great life ahead! Cheers!
\(•>~)/*\(^<^)/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208 55 16
Book One: Twelve-year-old Midnight lost her father in a disaster. So she ran away, hoping to escape her worries and guilt as well. But when two peopl...
3.6K 307 65
"So, you rode Azymondias? The Dragon King?" My dad asked, surprised. "Yup." "And you were the only one to acquire one of his scales?" "Yup." "But...
55.3K 1.2K 32
"I'll make a deal with you"I said smiling sadisticly and slowly walking towards him. "wh-who are you"the Alpha said. "Oh you know your usual run in d...
360 34 23
ATEH-MALKUTH-VE GEBBURAH-VE GEDDULAH-LA OHLAM-AMEN Someone is slaying wizards and uttering the six words of power: Breaking the ancient magical bon...