HIGHLAND SONG BWWM

Por LBKeen

Lyla Mungan has faced many challenges in her life. Yet, nothing can compare to finding herself in an entirely... Mais

*Author's Note*
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-Six
GAG CHAPTER .2
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-three
Special Chapter (Song-fic)
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Fourty
Chapter Fourty-two

Chapter Thirty-Two

2.4K 193 9
Por LBKeen

Author: When you've completely fallen off the horse, and are currently being stampeded over. That was my struggle for the past few weeks. Trying to get back into the swing of writing, and maintaining up dates. Luckily I was hit by a bus...and now I'm back at it. Enjoy!

Chapter Thirty-two

Lyla sat in front of a mirror, a well-beaten plate of metal that served as such. Her sister stood behind her, helping finish her hair. The gown that Morag had chosen was a sky-blue color, but plain. Yet, it'd seemed the most beautiful gown she'd seen in her lifetime.

"Are you happy?" her sister asked. Everyone had left to finish the preparations, and it was only two of them now in her room.

Lyla, who'd been lost in thought, smiled. "Yes, why? Do I look sad?"

"No," her sister said, her eyes still focused on her hair. "Just... compared to your wedding with David, this..." She trailed when Lyla started laughing. "What?! Am I wrong?!"

"No," Lyla said, calming herself down, though she couldn't help releasing an occasional chuckle. "It's true, our wedding was a beautifully expensive affair." She turned in the chair, forcing Ericka's hands to leave her hair. Reaching up, she took her sister's hand, her expression earnest. "But... in all that beauty, I was never happy."

"Lyla...," Ericka said, her voice pained.

"But that's over now," she said abruptly, turning back around. "The past is the past and should remain so. Ericka, today, we will drink, be merry and well. I'll be getting married."

Ericka stared woefully at her sister. She didn't want to lose her sister, not in a time where she couldn't return to, but if this place, people and man made her happy, then what could she do? So, she swallowed everything she'd thought to say and smiled. "Yes, and I'll be turning up."

Lyla laughed as she allowed Ericka to add the ring of flowers. It'd been hard to find some, but apparently, the kids had been determined to have her wear a coronet of flowers.

She stood and turned, facing her sister as she patted at the front of her skirts. "How do I look?"

"Pretty," Ericka said, narrowing her eyes on her waist. "Have you gained weight?"

"Oh, shut up," Lyla said, laughing. She slapped Ericka on the shoulder. "Brat."

The two were going back and forth until there was a knock on the door, and the blond head of Meg showed itself. She smiled at the sight of Ericka in a head lock. The two sisters she'd noticed truly had a boyish side to them, especially when it came to their reaction to men. Buchanan was still walking around with his bruised nose and refused to tell anyone who had managed to give him such an injury. Yet, Meg and most of the women had guessed it was Ericka, as the girl had been sending stabbing looks his way all through breakfast.

"Are you ready, Lady?"

Lyla blinked, releasing her sister suddenly. She quickly muttered a curse and started straightening her appearance. "Y-yes, I think so." Her voice shook. She looked at her hands and they were shaking. "I-it seems I'm more nervous than I thought."

Meg walked fully into the room, and stopping in front of Lyla, she placed two firm hands on her shoulder. "'Tis good. Ye're about to marry a laird. Any woman would be nervous."

Lyla nodded, but it wasn't the whole him being a laird that was making her nervous, but the wedding that was making her suddenly nervous. Still, she allowed Meg and Ericka to drag her from her chambers and towards the stairs, where Morag stood, grumpy as usual. But once they stopped in front of her, her wrinkled face spread into a smile. "Finally! Ye mean to make good mon out of my grandson."

"Aye, I do."

"Then I'll be giving you this." Morag lifted her arms and it was covered by a tartan. It was pretty with an awful amount of colors, but what stood out was the browns and golds. "His mother wasn't from this area, She was a McClauren and his father and she argued mightily, but I knew from the moment they set eyes on each other, they were meant to be." Morag sniffled, which caused the three women's jaws to drop.

She quickly stepped forward and started wrapping the plaid over the gown. "I be wanting you to wear it. His mother's plaid twill remind him of the good days, aye." She moved back and nodded sharply before she waved them on. "Now go, Lass, go."

Lyla looked down at the plaid before she stepped forward and wrapped her arms around the older woman's body and hugged her tightly. "Thank you," she said with full sincerity in her voice. She pulled back, her eyes watering. "You welcomed my sister and me though we were completely foreign. Thank you... grandmother," Lyla sniffled, trying not to cry.

"Och, aye, none of that, lassie." She brushed the tears away for Lyla. "'Tis too bright of a day to become watering pots, err the food is done." She motioned for Ericka and Meg to come forward, though both were near tears. "Now take this woman down to meet her husband."

"Yes."

"Aye, we will."

With that, Lyla was escorted downstairs, and all she could think was finally.

The movement out of the corner of his eye caught Gavin's attention. They had set up the Great Hall for the ceremony and his people were dressed in their best. None were covered in dirt, as many had taken a risk and washed in the cold weather. The smiles and approval of his men made this day even more special, though his right-hand Alec had been strangely quiet when he'd mentioned young Ericka's still pending departure.

The man had agreed to take the Maitland's daughter's hand in marriage. Gavin wondered why now he seemed unsure of his choice. He glanced behind himself to Buchanan whose nose was still slightly purple. Gavin thought it was only fair as he had his fair of bruising from Lyla when he courted her.

Hearing gasps and murmuring, he turned his attention towards the front and felt his stomach drop to his feet. She was beautiful, his woman. Her eyes were shining with something he'd rarely seen directed at him, but now she glowed. Her skin, eyes... everything. This foreigner who'd been thrown on to him now was the light of his life. She smiled a shaky smile when she saw him, and as her sister led her to his side as Meg fell back into the crowd, he wondered why he'd waited so long to claim her.

When she arrived at his side, her sister placed her hand in his, but before she moved away, she spoke in whispered words. "I'll give her to you today, but if any harm comes to her from your hand, I'll be the one to take your life."

She drew back from him and smiled an innocent smile before she turned and joined the crowd, pointedly nowhere near Alec, or the Buchanan Laird, both of which kept shooting her unreadable looks.

Lyla, seeing Gavin's smile turn weary, leaned forward and asked, "What did she say?"

"Ah, nothing, Lass. 'Twas nothing."

She leaned back, giving him a suspicious look, but it quickly changed in focus as the Father stepped forward, his voice heavy as it spoke the word of marriage and bonding.

Gavin answered, but his eyes remained on the woman who was on his arm. Today, she would become his and he would never allow anything in this world to take her from him.

Ralph pulled up his mount, his eyes going to the large keep that stood out among the rolling hills and cliff where he could hear the crash of cold sea waves.

"Do you really believe their words?" Lisa asked as she pulled her mount alongside his. Ever since they'd met with that Aberdeen fellow, Ralph's behavior had turned cold, and even now, his eyes held only an eager light for bloodshed. "He could have been lying."

"For what?" Ralph said, turning his angry gaze towards her. "He didn't even know who we were, he simply wished for the coin." Ralph turned his eyes back to the keep like it was a dragon to be conquered. "No, it makes sense as to why they haven't been answering messages HQ sends out lately. They've been taken for that-" He stopped, gritting his teeth, his hands tightening on the reins before he jerked them up, forcing his mount to turn. "We'll strike tonight. Luckily, that Aberdeen Laird said he'll give up shelter."

Lisa glanced from the keep to Ralph's back. She still didn't feel right about that Aberdeen person, especially not his son, who'd been the one to approach them for the coin as he'd supposedly lost a bet and needed it to assuage his angry father.

She followed Ralph's example and followed him back into the woods. She just hoped they weren't making a huge mistake.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

639K 28.8K 23
HIGHEST RANKING #6 in HISTORICAL FICTION! --- For all her life, Lady Evie Verrick had been regaled of tales of the Highlands from her Highland born a...
Healer Por Alicia

Ficção histórica

261K 15.9K 34
Two very different worlds. Two very different men. And one woman who has to choose between the life that she knew and the one that lies ahead... ...
548 29 5
Roslyn May adopts her younger brother and sister to keep them from falling into foster care, a year later forcing herself to admit she is struggling...
13K 733 15
Taken Away (A Swept Away Saga Origins Story) is a title that can be read without reading any of the books in The Swept Away Saga. For more informatio...