On The Couch [Editing]

Por ACNichols

“Don’t say it, don’t ask it, I wouldn’t be able to say no,” he whispered, his voice full of desire. “I can’t…... Más

Dedication Page
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Halloween Party Costume Poll!!! Not a Chapter!!
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Sequel's Link!
If you want to help...

Chapter Thirty-One

182K 3.5K 365
Por ACNichols

Quick Note: The picture to the right is of the Golden Gate Bridge at night. Sigh, I miss my hometown sometimes writing books that take place in the bay area. I grew up across the bay bridge in Hayward and Oakland, but lived in San Francisco for three years as a teenager. I loved it and the hippie side of me will always call the city home. Enjoy this chapter lovies!

*

*

And waited…

It felt like a week had gone by before Evan spoke when in reality probably only five minutes have. Under the street lamp where we stood at his parked car made it difficult to read his expression clearly.

His brown eyes did darken momentarily and I saw his cheek flex, indicating that he might be gritting his teeth. I couldn’t be sure. Finally, he reached up to cup my cheek gently.

“Sonja I am not mad at you, I know you wouldn’t just let him touch you,” his voice is smooth and calm – too calm.

“Oh that’s a relief,” my head fell against his chest as I let out a breath I didn’t know I held. He wrapped his arms around me. Relief flooded my system. Why was I so afraid of his reaction?

“I’m sorry this is all new to me, us, I am rusty at the relationship game. I guess I am used to how Jerry would react…”

“Hey, hey,” Evan lifted my chin to look me directly in the eye. “I will never treat you the way he did or hurt you. Don’t you dare compare him to everyone else and please don’t be afraid to tell me anything,” his tone is so fervent I believe him without a doubt. I nodded with my acceptance of his words.

“What are you going to do?” I ask.

Evan inhales slowly and exhales. I could see him trying to control his emotions.

“I’m not sure yet, or if I can do anything, but he won’t do that again when I do deal with it,” I could hear the promise in his voice. Strangely the tone soothed my distress and I enjoyed his protective demeanor. The feeling still nagged at me that he is way more livid than he let on and keeping it in check for my benefit.

“Let’s not worry about it for tonight,” he changes the subject and his tone immediately pulling me around to the front of his car. He helped me put Boxer in the back who began to roam and sniff everything excitedly.

I chuckled realizing something ironic.

“What?” Evan asks.

“Well a while ago I had asked for vacation time when I finished with the Cooper and Terry accounts…guess I got my wish,” I spoke sardonically.

“It’s not right what he did after he practically sexually assaulted you,” Evan shut the door and quickly came around to the driver’s side. “Don’t downplay his actions just because he’s your boss and have known him a long time.”

“I’m not…I just feel bad about my deception,” I said quietly.

Evan growled as he drove off. “I am so sick of that guy getting in the way…I guess I am glad in a way that you won’t have to be around him for two weeks,” he turns giving me a sly smile.

“I’ll have a lot of free time now for the furnishing project,” I suggested.

“Oh I can think of a few other projects to fill your time with,” Evan flirted as he drove taking my hand in his. I smiled squeezing his gently as I watched him drive. I hoped he could feel my gratitude.

Sitting back in the passenger seat and absently staring out the window I began to think about how I might tell him how I feel. No matter how he shows his affection for me and how much he cares I still didn’t know the extent of his feelings for me. That made me nervous and it seemed strange to be unsure of how to tell someone you are in love with them.

After what I have been through with Jerry I guess I am justified in my reservations to err on the side of caution.

“Here we are.”

I looked out the window focusing on the surroundings as I opened the car door. I had been wrapped up in my thoughts I didn’t notice the drive. As I helped Boxer out of the car and Evan retrieved my things from the trunk, I saw how the vertical building looked out over to the Golden Gate Bridge from the ocean side. My apartment view looked out to the bay side.

“Where is yours?” I asked as he came around to my side.

“Third floor,” he smiled and led me into the lobby.

Only one person sat at a metal desk, security I assumed from the look of his gray and black uniform. His utility belt carried mace, a taser and handcuffs. He didn’t even look up when Evan and I crossed the carpeted floor to the elevators. Boxer did not like the elevator. He’s never been in one before and whined the whole way up.

Once the doors opened he bolted, tugging me along, though for him that is more difficult since he is only at least one sixteenth my weight. Maybe even less than that.

Evan chuckled at the sight. “I’m sure he would prefer that than the stairs.”

“Yes,” I giggled back as he walked down the hall and the fourth door on the right he stopped at pulling out his keys.

My stomach fluttered knowing I am about to see the inside of his home. I would see a different intimate side of him than what I’ve experienced so far. How he lived behind closed doors would be exciting to see and I certainly am curious.

“Welcome to my humble abode,” he let me walk through first and as he followed he flicked on lights. “It’s not very big, but I like comfort at home. Everywhere else is usually some business dealings or clinical,” he commented as I took a look around.

Evan walked past me to his sliding glass doors that opened up onto a balcony for Boxer.

“It’s safe he can’t get through any cracks and fall,” he assured me when I hesitated to take the leash off my dog.

“Okay,” I bent to unclip it. Boxer took off to the outside as I followed.

All of Evan’s furniture is oversized and soft looking. Even with the bright lights the natural tones of brown, tan and chocolate with hints of blue shades gave the room a den like feeling.

“Your place looks much more comfortable than my own,” I said joining them outside. Boxer sniffed at everything he could see and I noticed Evan had put down newspaper for him. How thoughtful.

“Your place does have a lot of strong contrasting colors,” he commented.

“I redid the apartment after therapy began. A project,” I said the word with humor from his flirtatious comment on the way here. “I started to rid myself of all things Jerry. He’s never seen or been to my current apartment. I moved a few weeks before his conviction as advised. Guess it was the mood I was in with the theme. Stacy calls it my vampire lair.”

Evan laughs heartily. “I can see why she would say that.”

“Hey don’t make fun of me,” I elbowed him in the arm.

Instead of flinching away playfully he pulled me to him tight against his chest and kisses me deeply. His hands roamed up the sides of my body to my cheeks as his tongue danced with mine, igniting the fire that always burned slowly in me for him.

Surfacing from the kiss, I could see the lights of the Golden Gate reflected in his eyes. It made the desire and arousal light up in them. Boxer snorgled inside as if he knew what is coming.

“Do you want to see the bedroom?” he asks huskily.

“Is there a bed in the room?” I said quietly, my own passion heavy in my voice.

“Yes.”

“Then that’s all I need to see,” I pulled him back to me kissing hard and deep letting him lead me back inside shutting the sliding door and to his bedroom.

*

I awoke to the scent of coffee and waffles. My body felt pleasantly sore from the night before and still tingling. I smiled as I opened my eyes lying in Evan’s bed.

The sea of blue is void of my dog. That is a strange new sensation. Boxer always was there when I woke up. I noticed Evan had pulled out my knee length cotton robe and laid it over a chair at the foot of the bed. Good thinking Evan, I mused since I am completely naked.

Tying the robe around me I shuffled into his living room following the scent of breakfast.

“Good morning,” he turned around when he heard my entrance while I yawned. He leaned over and kissed my lips lingering, enjoying the moment.

“Morning,” I said softly. I felt a cold wetness on my ankle and bent down to pet Boxer knowing it was him. “And where were you my broken alarm clock,” I chuckled at him.

“We have been conversing. I think he is interviewing me, making sure I’m a good fit,” Evan said comically.

“Oh really,” I looked at Boxer. “Is he hired?” I asked him and he yelped. We both laughed at Boxer’s approval.

“Here you are sweetie,” Evan said handing me a plate of waffles and pulling out a chair at his little kitchen table in the breakfast nook. I sat down and watched as he made me a mug of coffee.

“I’m not sure I have all that you like, but I hope you don’t mind my brew.”

“I’m sure it’s great," I said as I fixed my waffles with butter and syrup.

Even his kitchen had a comforting zen to it. Like a log cabin in the woods, the cupboards were made of dark wood and all black appliances compared to the white of my kitchen and stainless steel appliances. The marble counter tops were a mosaic of blacks and grays, it suited him.

“Did the apartment come like this?” I ask curious.

“No I own it so I renovated a little,” he sat down to eat as well bringing the coffee with him.

“I like it, has a very homely feeling, not what I would have expected.”

“And what did you expect?” he smirks at me.

I smirk back chewing on my bite of waffle before I answered. “Clinical,” I teased. Oddly, my apartment seemed more clinical than his and he is the psychologist.

He laughs and begins to eat his waffles. A moment later his phone rang in his pocket. I noticed then that he is already dressed in a pair of jeans and a plain black t-shirt.

“Hello.”

I continue to eat trying not to pay attention to his conversation on the phone. That would be rude. He didn’t leave the room for privacy, so it must not have been overly important.

“Is the meet ready…Okay I’ll be there shortly.”

I couldn’t help the frown on my face as he hung up assuming he had to go somewhere.

“Sonja I have some urgent business to attend to. I am sorry, it shouldn’t take long, I hope you don’t mind,” he asks me immediately after he put his phone back in his pocket.

“No, I’ll just get ready for the day,” I smiled hoping he would be back soon.

“Okay good, I have plans for us.”

“Oh how exciting,” I giggled playfully.

He chuckled standing up and placed a small kiss on my lips before putting his plate in the sink.

“I won’t be long, make yourself at home,” he assured me waiting a moment before he took off. I heard the door shut behind him and leaned back in my chair giggling like a school girl shaking my head.

*

Evan’s POV

*

Soon as I left Sonja in my apartment, anxiety set in. I wasn’t sure if I am doing the right thing, but no one touches what is mine.

I called in an urgent meeting about some ‘changes’ I wanted to speak about with my account. Honestly, I am surprised I managed to get in an appointment on the weekend. Maybe he is curious about the urgency I claimed.

I drove to the little outdoor café I asked to meet at and thought about how I could deal with this without Sonja being brought into the mix or affected later.

After hearing about her work day, I knew I wouldn’t be idle about this. I hoped it could be handled like civilized men. I had to nip this in the butt fast.

When I parked I could see him sitting there at one of the tables looking over the newspaper and sipping from a mug. Even by himself he looked arrogant. My hands tightened on my steering wheel in anger. He didn’t know she is all mine yet. I had to stay calm. Losing my temper would be a bad idea.

“Good morning Mr. Sullivan,” I said walking up to the table.

“Hello Mr. Jacobs,” he stood to shake my hand with that false smile on his face. We both squeezed a little harder than is necessary as we shook.

"I must say I am surprised and curious what could be so urgent,” Eddie spoke as professionally as he could as we sat down glaring at each other.

Yes, he knew I wasn’t just here on business.

“Well a few things have come to my attention that I am not pleased with…just water please,” I instructed the petite waitress that popped up out of thin air it seemed.

Eddie took a sip of his coffee and folded the newspaper in front of him. The jealousy wafted off of him like a stench a skunk might have made.

“Oh is Sonja having trouble with your demands?” his eyes pierced through to mine, but I was not intimidated. The man had no sway with me.

“Not my demands exactly,” I said trying to keep my tone even.

The waitress showed back up bringing me my water. She saw the animosity between Eddie and me in the air as we sized each other up and scampered away quickly.

I knew Eddie could tell what I implied with my cryptic and subtle hint in my words.

“I see and why is that any concern of yours?” he spoke slowly.

If he was suspicious about my involvement with Sonja before, this conversation is confirming that suspicion without directly saying so.

“It is my concern because I don’t take kindly to outside influences hurting and distracting her…I’m quite protective of my assets," I gave him a dark threatening look.

“Well she has been my asset for a long time,” he leaned in smirking, almost amused. The disrespect of the man disgusted me. I flexed my hand under the table.

“An asset maybe, but never yours,” that wiped the smirk off his face. “I would suggest the distractions be taken care of and backs off or I will handle it,” I added nonchalantly sipping my water.

Eddie slams a fist on the table and glares at me. A few other patrons turn around to look where the sound came from.

“Are you threatening me?” he hissed in a low tone, not wanting to draw more attention.

“No. I’m making you a promise. Keep your hands and that disgusting mouth of yours to yourself,” I growled at him. Now we are getting to the heart of things.

“You think you can swoop in and tell me what to do? I’ve loved that woman for years.”

I scoff at him. Pathetic. “You have an awful way of showing it and besides she is not remotely interested in you," it thoroughly annoyed me he had the nerve to claim he loves her. He had no idea what the emotion or word meant.

The conversation is over in my opinion. He got the point.

“Maybe next time I’ll slip her the tongue…see if she’s interested then,” he spoke arrogantly when I got up to leave.

That is the last straw. I cracked my neck. Turning around back to him - I swung. My fist connected to his jaw. The blow knocked him off the chair. When he sat back up he stared at me in surprise and anger as the blood dripped from his nose. My anger got the best of me, so much for not losing my temper.

I yanked a twenty dollar bill from my wallet. “Keep the change you worthless piece of shit,” I rumbled tossing the bill on the table. Eddie didn’t say anything. I stormed off back to my car ignoring the looks of shock and judgment from other patrons at my behavior.

I shook my fist flexing it wincing slightly once I was in the privacy of my vehicle. Dammit.

No one has pushed my buttons like that and so easily in a long time. Not in regards to someone I cared about so deeply. I let him get to me and now he knows it and how. I could only hope when he pines for Sonja’s sympathy she would not be angry with me.

I doubted he would do anything more but make this some sort of power game with me. I just invited that. I better be more careful from now on. But it sure felt good to hit the bastard.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

5.9K 667 23
Mallory finds herself brokenhearted when she loses the love of her life in a tragic accident. She's left to pick up the pieces of her life with the h...
798 295 21
"What are you so afraid of?" he asked, stepping closer until I couldn't move. I felt trapped between him and the wall, and my breath caught in my thr...
341K 3.3K 19
"We can't... you're my client." He chuckled, "so? There's no law against fucking my lawyer." He cupped my chin forcing me to look at him. "Stop makin...
631K 33.2K 31
When Kay leaves home to discover herself and meets Brian, the handsome scarred owner of a coffee shop that shares her name, she must decide if she h...