Til I Found You

By purple-ish

He doesn't know love at all. She wished she never knew love. What if love came between them? Would he believe... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
AUTHOR'S NOTE
EPILOGUE

Chapter 35

133K 2K 297
By purple-ish

I don't have much to say. LOL!

Just breathe and enjoy! :)

Chapter 35

Liz:

I woke up early in the morning and saw the most unexpected person in the kitchen – Vince. From my point of view, I can say that he’s cooking, or at least trying to cook. And that…is very unusual.

When I took a closer look, I saw the bigger picture. This was not his first time. From the way how the kitchen looked – all the mess and stuff – I am certain that he’s been here for quite…a while.

Maddie stepped out from behind. When I caught her eye, I immediately asked her.

“How long has he been doing this?”

“Since two in the morning.”

My eyes widened in disbelief.“Two in the morning?! You’ve got to be kidding me.”

Maddie looked at me and nodded slightly as if telling that, ‘Yea, I know. Unbelievable.’

“Seriously?”

She nodded again. “He even woke me up to teach him. And there he is – not yet done.”

Maddie looked at Vince while he was busy staring into the flames of the stove. I followed her gaze too.

“What’s he doing anyway?” I asked, still looking at him.

“Making a vegetable soup for Madame Coax.”

I simply nodded as we watch him. My gaze shifted to the grocery bags Maddie is holding. “What’s that?”

“Oh these?” She looked at the bags as well. “Vegetables. Sir Vince kind of failed his earlier attempts and used up all our stock of vegetables.”

“Maddie? Is that – Oh, Liz.” Maddie and I turned and saw Vince looking at us.

Maddie immediately ran to him. “I’m sorry. Here’s your vegetables.”

“It’s okay.” He replied, still looking at me.

I walked up to him and gave a weak smile. “Good morning.”

“Good morning.” He replied with the same weak smile. “I’m – uh – I’m making a soup for Grandma.”

“Maddie told me.” I said. I noticed that his fingers were covered with Band-aids. “What happened?” I asked, pointing my nose to his fingers.

“Oh – “ he said, looking at his fingers. “Just some cuts and burns. It’s nothing.” He said.

“You must be trying your best.”

“Yeah. It’s for Grandma – that’s why.” He paused. “But I just can’t seem to get it. I’ve been trying but, I always fail. It doesn’t taste good.”

I let out a small chuckle. “Of course, it doesn’t taste good. You don’t know how to cook.”

“At least I’m trying.” He replied, with a laugh. It felt good to hear him laugh again – though it was just brief. It felt like ages since I heard him laugh.

I took a step beside him. “Would you mind if I help?”

He shook his head. “No, not at all. Just do what I say so you won’t mess up.”

I snorted. “Look who’s talking.”

“Come on, Liz. I know you don’t cook either.”

Then we both shared a laugh.

The moments we spent cooking together felt like the times we shared before. The times when things are not complicated – just normal. And the Vince I was cooking with seems to be the Vince I met before. And thinking about it made me smile.

Though both of us cooked, I made him do most of the job. Not because I don’t know what to do – and in fact, I really don’t – but because I want the success to be credited to him. Besides, it was his gift for Grandma.

After a couple of trial and errors, we finally did it. And it really tastes good. I can see from his face the satisfaction of finally doing it. The cuts and burns he had have been worth it.

“Grandma will surely like this.” He said in a jubilant tone.

“I’m sure she will.”

We were ready to go when I remembered something. I excused myself and ran upstairs to get one thing I knew that would make Vince and Grandma happy.

When I reached the car, he asked. “Where did you go?”

“Well, I just thought that you might want to bring this.” I pulled out his Bachelor sash from my bag and handed it to him.

Vince’s eyes widened and smiled. And then he looked at me. “You’re welcome.” I said.

**********

On our way to the hospital, Vince cannot hide the fact that he’s excited. And even though he denies it, it is all written across his face. His smile was big and his eyes just sparkle in delight.

I was happy for him. For the first time in his life, he was able to cook. And it was because he was determined to make his Grandma happy. Because it was for Grandma. And I am so sure that Grandma will be happy for him, too.

We reached the hospital minutes earlier than the usual time. It was because Vince was driving a little bit faster that yesterday. You know why – he’s all hyped up today than he was yesterday.

Before he opened the door, he took a deep breath and held the paper bag tightly in his hands. But when we got in, we were surprised. The room was empty.

“Did we enter the wrong room?” he asked me.

“No, I was pretty sure this is it.”

“Then why is it empty?”

“I don’t know.”

“Maybe Grandma checked out and went home.”

“Possible.” I answered. “Let’s just ask from the information center.”

On our way there, we saw Vince’s Mom and Dad by the lobby. Vanessa – Vince’s mother – was sitting on one of the chairs, her face buried in her hands while Alex, his father, was standing beside her, arms wrapped around her.

I don’t know but it seems to me that Mr. Coax is trying to comfort her.

“Mom? Why are you crying?” Vince asked when we approached them. “Where’s Grandma? She’s not in her room.”

Both of his parents just looked at us. Mrs. Coax – now Matsuoka – was filled with tears while Mr. Coax’ eyes were filled with sadness.

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped when I got the message. No, I told myself. It can’t be.

It is when Mr. Coax cleared a throat and finally said, “Vince, your Grandma’s gone.”

**********

For the rest of the day, Vince never talked to anyone and just locked himself up in his room. He’s never eaten anything since this morning. Maddie and I kept on bringing him food to his room but he just won’t open up.

It was all shocking for all of us. Grandma’s gone. And it hurts me as much as it hurts Vince. And for me, I guess it’s double the pain. The pain of Grandma’s sudden death and the pain of seeing Vince like that crushes my soul.

It was dinner time and Vince was still locked up in his room. I asked Maddie to prepare some food for him and bring it upstairs to his room. When I was on my way to his room, I heard a loud thumping sound followed by a sound of a broken glass then screams – not screams because of fear; screams of agony.

My heart pounded against my chest as I realized where the noise was coming from. It was from Vince’s room. I dropped the tray from my hands and rushed towards his room.

When I reached the door to his room, I tried to open the door – but it won’t open up.

“Vince? Vince, what’s going on in there? Open the door!”

But he didn’t. And the sound continued – broken glass, thump, scream. It all continued like a cycle.

“Vince! Open the door! Now!” I tried again. But still I failed.

“What’s going on?” Maddie asked as she suddenly showed up. “Oh my gosh! What’s happening?”

“Maddie! Go get the keys to his room! We need to open this up!” I ordered.

“B-but we don’t have the keys.”

“What?!”

“They never locked the door before. So, there’s no need for us to have keys.”

“What are we supposed to do now?”

“Wait! I know someone who might have the keys!” I simply looked at her. “Rupert the driver! I’m sure he has it – he’s got all keys! But he’s not here.”

“Call him! Now!”

And then she ran off.

As the sound continued, I grew more nervous. What if something happened to him? What am I supposed to do?

“Vince, please. Open the door.” I pleaded.

But still, he didn’t.

Maddie came rushing back, panting. “He’s on his way from Madame’s office.”

“Good.”

“But that’s an hour and a half away.”

Oh no, this is not good. I almost lose hope when an idea came to my mind. Dave! He might listen to Dave!

 I took my phone and called Dave. He asked me why and I told him everything.

“Okay. I’ll be there.” He answered.

Another fifteen minutes passed and we still can’t find a way to open his room. Rupert is still on his way and so is Dave. And the noise just keeps on sounding.

As the clock ticks, the noise slowly fades away until what’s left is just the thump – continuous thump in same equal intervals. That’s when I became more nervous. Because Vince might have…killed himself.

I continued to knock at his door, begging him to open up. And then the gardener, whom I never met, came up to us.

“Uhm, I think you need this.” He said as he reached out his hand. “The key to Sir Vince’s room.”

My eyes widened as I snatched it from his hand. Immediately I tried the key. And it clicked. The door was finally opened!

My heart was crushed when I stepped inside. Vince’s room was in a total mess – broken glasses from frames and other fragile thing were scattered everywhere; his side table drawer was turned upside down; and all of his stuff was everywhere.

Then I saw Vince. He was sitting on the floor at one corner, hitting his head against the wall. He was hurting himself.

I rushed myself to him and took hold of his head to stop him from hitting it against the wall. “Stop it, Vince. You’re hurting yourself.” I said in a gentle manner.

He was sobbing. His eyes were swollen because of crying. “Grandma.” He said. “Grandma. Grandma.” He keeps on calling Grandma. Then tears started falling out from his eyes again.

In a weak broken voice, he called out again. “Grandma.” And then he broke into tears.

Seeing him hurt like that made me cry too. I rested his head on my shoulders as I wrapped my arms around him. Running my hands through his hair, I tried to comfort Vince. “Ssh.” I said. “It’s alright, Vince. Everything will be alright.”

And he cried hard.

**********

Vince fell asleep and I asked Rupert and the gardener – the only men in the house – to take him to my room since his room was in a mess.

I sat beside him as I watch him sleep. Poor Vince. It must be really hard for him. Vince moved and his hands landed exactly on top of mine. As I watch his hand grip mine, he called out Grandma’s name again and a tear fell down on his face.

I bit my lip as try to hold back my tears. Even in his sleep, the pain of losing someone he loves still haunts him. It seems like he has no escape from it.

Looking at his face right now tears me apart. He looks like a worn-out cloth torn and tattered. I ran my fingers through his hair, then to his face. My thumb gently caressed his cheek. If only I can do something. I told myself.

A knock on the door caught my attention. “Come in.” I said.

It was Maddie. “Sir Dave is here.”

I nodded. She was about to leave the room when I saw something in her hands. “What’s that?”

“This?” She said, looking to the container in her hands. “Vegetable soup, I guess? I found it in Sir Vince’s room.”

That’s the one he made. For grandma. “Leave it here.” I said. Vince might look for it.

I took one last look at his face and kissed him in the forehead before I went down to meet Dave.

“How’s Vince?” He asked.

“Sleeping.”

“What happened?”

“I don’t know. After knowing the sad news, he never talked, never eaten and just locked up in his room. Then we heard the noise.”

“He’s trying to hurt himself, isn’t he?”

“He is hurting himself.” I said, as a matter-of-factly. “How did you know?”

“It’s him. It’s his way of getting rid of the pain he feels.”

My forehead creased. “Dave, he is hurting himself. And that…is painful. How could you say that?”

“That’s the point. He’s trying to get rid of the pain by another pain. Kind of diverting.”

I didn’t respond.

“It must be tough for him.” He added.

“You don’t have any idea.”

“He’s not that kind of guy, you know.” I looked at him with a confused look. “One who usually cries when he’s hurt – that’s not him. He just let out a tear when it is really, really painful. As in agonizingly painful.”

“How long do you think before he can recover?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know. This is only the second time I’ve known him cry.”

“Second?”

“Yeah. The first was I think when his parents divorced. And it took him – uhm – three days only. But that’s because he’s ten years old that time and he was distracted with music and video games and stuff. And, knowing Vince, I’m sure he convinced himself that it’s alright. It’s just divorced; he’ll be able to see them if he wanted.” There was a brief pause and Dave took a deep sigh. “But this one? About Grandma? I don’t know. This is death we are talking about, you know.”

“What should I do then?”

“Never let him out of your sight. He can be a jerk sometimes, you know. He might overdo his hurting himself thing. We don’t know; it might cause him more than expected.

Dave looked at his watch. “I guess I need to go.”

“Okay. Thanks for dropping by.”

“That’s my best friend up there we’re talking about. Of course, I’ll drop by. Anything for my dude.”

We both stood up and I walked him towards the door. He was about to leave when he turned around to face me. “Oh, by the way Liz, please never leave his side. He needs you more than he needs me.”

**********

A week after Grandma’s death is her burial. But that one whole week was hell for Vince – he barely eats and he just stays in his room. In the first three nights after Grandma’s death, I could hear Vince scream and cry from his room. That’s when I decided to spend the last four nights with him in his room and luckily, the screams were gone – but the crying is still there.

A lot of people were here – businessmen, some politicians, people from the media, some other celebrities/entrepreneurs that invested in Grandma’s company and of course, some students from our school.

Throughout the ceremony, Vince didn’t cry. He didn’t even talk to anybody. In his hands were his Bachelor sash and the vegetable soup he did for Grandma. Vince placed it in Grandma’s grave.

The ceremony was over and a lot of people stayed to extend their condolences for the family. Elaine was there, and she never left Vince’s side. She was trying to cheer him up but he continuously ignored her. Dave was helping in accommodating other guests. Brian and Erika remained on their seats – both crying and trying to comfort each other. As for me, I was standing a few feet away from Vince. I don’t want him out of my sight. I don’t want to worry.

All of a sudden, someone from behind spoke.

“Is this what you want?” the voice asked.

I turned around and saw Justin. “What are you trying to say?”

“What I’m trying to say is…that you don’t belong here. Look at you, just standing and watching them from afar. You should come with me.”

Still not losing my sight of Vince, I answered. “I can’t just leave him. He’s in pain.”

“Who?” he said and looked at the direction where I’m looking. “That guy? Look at him; he doesn’t even know you care. I think he doesn’t even need you at this point. With Elaine at his side? Where does that leave you?”

I looked at him coldly. “This is not the time for this, Justin. Get lost.”

No matter what he says, I still want to be by his side. Whether he needs me or not.

*******************************

So? What can you say? Hehe

Vote comment and fan!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.2K 865 27
Have you ever imagined how life would be like in Hogwarts? How do you think you would fall in love and with whom? Why don't you just read to find o...
33.3K 1.5K 40
Weird love story
4.2M 72.9K 78
he wasn't supposed to be intrigued by her innocent nature and she wasn't supposed to become bedeviled by his snap and senselessness. he thought he wa...
17.7K 891 25
She didn't predict it. She didn't know. She had no knowledge about it. She didn't even have the slightest idea about it. All she knew was, she was go...