In This Together (The Hunger...

By emmalynn22

Featured in the official Wattpad @Fanfic The Hunger Games reading list! "No matter what happens, Celia, we're... More

Chapter 1: The Quell
Chapter 3: Strategy
Chapter 4: The Parade
Chapter 5: Training
Chapter 6: Interviews
Chapter 7: Let the Games Begin
Chapter 8: Alliance
Chapter 9: Earthquake
Chapter 10: Frostbite
Chapter 11: Severed Ties
Chapter 12: The Gift
Chapter 13: The Dream
Chapter 14: Escape
Chapter 15: New World
Chapter 16: Confusion
Chapter 17: The President is Here
Author's Note
Chapter 18: Rescue
Epilogue
EXCITING NEWS
CONTEST FOR 3K READS [CLOSED]

Chapter 2: The Reaping

3.3K 122 48
By emmalynn22

Later that evening, my mom managed to pull herself together enough to lay out a nice dress for me and do my hair in braids. I looked in the mirror and barely recognized myself. Although the Reaping was a solemn occasion, and the Quarter Quell terrified me, I couldn't help the little burst of joy I felt seeing myself all dressed up. It was so rare to have anything worth celebrating that the thought of attending the Reaping didn't seem all that bad. After a few moments of our parents fussing over how nice we looked, we walked to the Justice Building.

Despite how we felt inside, we had to pretend we were excited about the Reaping and the approaching Games. Peacekeepers were lurking around every corner. District One was the closest District to the Capitol, a little sliver of their craziness. If any citizens showed unease, they would be reported immediately. Then the Capitol would deal with them. The Capitol wouldn't rest until every spark of rebellious thought was put out.

Since that year anyone, no matter what age, could be reaped, sections were divided by five years. Ages 0-5 were in one section with their mothers crying over them, 6-10 were next to them and so on, up until age 60-65. The oldest person in Panem only lived to be 70, and that was over 50 years ago.

I went with my brother to stand in the section marked 11-15 after we had our blood drawn. My stomach was filled with nervous butterflies again, and I grabbed onto Cable's hand for comfort. He squeezed my hand reassuringly as our Capital Representative, Blooming Rose, marched up on stage with 2 envelopes in hand.

Just like last year, and the year before, Blooming was dressed in an all pink outfit. A tight top enhanced her clearly operated-on body, and her skirt imitated a rose petal with it's folded layers of silk.

She was never one to waste time, and quickly got the Reaping rolling. "Fresh from the Capital!" She waved the envelopes in the air. "I am sure you are very excited to learn who has been chosen to represent District One! Before we get into that though, let's watch the video!"

Seeing the video they play at every reaping, which basically shows the aftermath of the war combined with a few scenes from the Mockingjay Rebellion, felt much different this year without the presence of my
mom and dad beside me. I had never been eligible for the Games before, and I shouldn't even have been eligible this year, but the Quarter Quell changed that.

Blooming Rose eagerly stepped back up to the microphone, interrupting my thoughts. "Now I'm sure you all saw our marvellous president announce this year's Quell, hmm?" She grinned over-enthusiastically. "Well, the Gamemakers have thought long and hard about it, and here I stand with the names of the two, lucky representatives from District One! I would like to remind everyone that no volunteers are allowed in these Games, and may the odds be ever in your favour."

Reaching dramatically into one of the envelopes, she announced to the audience, "Ladies first!"

The silence that fell over the crowd was agonizing. I had never squeezed my brother's hand so hard as I waited anxiously for Blooming to spit out the name and get it over with.

"Celia Deen!"

Cable gasped, and my face went pale. It wasn't my name, it couldn't have been. I was too young to be in this, I was too young to die! My heart was hammering at three times it's normal pace, as everyone in the crowd turned in my direction, their eyes lead by Cable's gasp. He gripped my hand tighter as if he could change my fate. The ringing in my ears blocked out the gasps of relief from all the other girls in the crowd. My muscles were frozen, and prevented me from moving.

Out of every girl and women in the District, the Gamemakers had chosen me.

"Celia? Come up here, dear," Blooming invited as two peacekeepers grabbed me and dragged me up to the stage, despite mine and Cable's cries of protest. I could hear my mom screaming, but I didn't have the heart to look her way. Feeling a single tear trace down my cheek, I gulped and looked down at the ground. "Chin up, darling," Blooming ordered, obviously disappointed, considering that usually District One's tributes were ecstatic about the Games.

"Now, for the gentlemen," Blooming peeled open the second envelope.

How could she move on so quickly? She had just torn my whole world apart!

"Stop being so selfish," my inner voice told me. "Think about the rest of your family, and how this will affect them."

Please don't be Cable... Please don't be Cable..

I caught a glimpse of my mom being restrained by peacekeepers.

Please don't be Cable or my Dad... I thought, realizing that since there was no age limit, either one of them could go into the arena with me. For a fraction of a second, I almost wished that one of their names would be in Blooming's envelope, just so I wouldn't have to be alone. I knew that wasn't right, and I brushed the thought away.

After what felt like an eternity, Blooming finally announced the name. "Tristan Billard, please come down to the stage! You are District One's male tribute!"

A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I saw a 40 -something year old man kiss his wife on the forehead and make his way on the stage. "Ladies and Gentlemen, your District One tributes for the 200th Hunger Games!"

There was some scattered applause before Tristan and I were dragged into the Justice Building.

I didn't speak a word as two peacekeepers guided me down the hallway. I focused on the pounding of their footsteps rather than the thought of the looming Games.

It would almost be easier if I was just sentenced to death, I thought. At least then I wouldn't have to deal with that bit of false hope that I might make it as victor.

The Peacekeepers tossed me into one of the small jail cells and slammed the door shut. Frantically, I jiggled the knob, but the door was locked. I collapsed onto the steel bed frame in the corner and tried to control my sobs.

A moment later, the door creaked open. "Celia?" A familiar voice called.

"Cable! Oh, Cable!" He walked into the room and I ran into his arms. "I'm gonna die, Cable, they're gonna kill me!" I sob.

"Stop talking like that," Cable ordered. "Look we don't have much time, so listen to me." I quieted, willing to do whatever he said as long as he stayed with me.

"What you need to do is ally with Tristan. He seems like a nice guy, and he has a daughter about your age. He'll help you out, and you can help him. You need to have someone to watch your back in the arena." Cable cupped my face in his hands. "You'll come out alive, I know you will! We will do everything we can to sponsor you!"

"But..." I started, and then a pair of strong hands reached through the doorway and yanked Cable out of the cell. "Nooooooo!" I collapsed onto the steel bed frame in the corner and cried, the realization that I would probably never see Cable again hitting me hard. I would miss the way we had lovingly teased each other, and knowing that I could count on him to protect me. What was I going to do without him?

"Celia!" My dad rushed into the cell, and I looked up, thankful he had distracted me from my thoughts.

"Daddy!" I cried out gratefully, running into his arms. He broke the embrace and kneeled down, putting his hands on my shoulders. "Now Celia, I need you to listen to me carefully," I nodded quickly, ready to listen again. "Your mom couldn't come in, I'm really sorry, but I'm sure you understand she's very upset over the whole situation. I didn't want to bring her in here and have her upset you too. So, for her sake, and yours, you need to come out of these Games alive, do you understand me?"

I nodded again, yes, as the Peacekeepers yanked my dad from my arms. My heart broke again as I said goodbye to another family member. I wouldn't even be able to say goodbye to my mother. My breath caught as I realized that I had just spoken my last words to my family. Struggling to hold back the tears that threatened to spill over once again, I began to pace my small holding cell.

No other visitors came to see me. I had no other living relatives in District One, and I assumed all my friends from school were too busy being thankful it wasn't their names in that white envelope.

It wasn't long before the Peacekeepers came back into my cell. Wiping my eyes with the sleeve of my dress, I stood gracefully from my perch on the steel bed. Holding my head high, I was escorted from the Justice Building to the train that would take me to the Capitol.

Glancing to the left, I saw Tristan being escorted in the same direction as me. He smiled at me reassuringly. When I looked to my right, all I saw was cameras, filming me from every angle. I tried to look confident, but it's hard to muster courage when you're dying inside.

Less than a minute later, I was safely inside the train. The plush red cushions and curtains didn't phase me, I live in the District of Luxury after all. In fact, I think my dad helped construct the very table my mentors were seated at. Blooming Rose emerged from a door on my right.

"Here are the tributes!" She smiled toothily, gesturing for us to take a seat. Tristan sat next to Blooming, and I sat down across from him. "Now, let's talk strategy, shall we?" Blooming leaned forward on the table.

"Slow down now, Blooming," The muscular man who sat next to me grinned. "Let us introduce ourselves. I'm Grim, and this is Tally."

"Hello!" The slim lady with black braids chimed in. Tally was seated on Blooming's right. "Okay, so now that you've met your mentors, there are some things that need to be decided," Blooming said solemnly. "Like what?" I asked quietly.

"Like alliances. Obviously, you can choose which tributes, if any, you want to ally with after the tribute parade and during training. Right now our main goal is an alliance between the two tributes of District One," Tally suggested.

Tristan looked at me, "What do you say?"

..........................

Chapter 2!!!! Comments, suggestions, opinions? Let me know!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.3K 1.6K 23
When the laws of the Hunger Games were laid out, they dictated that every twenty-five years the anniversary would be marked by a Quarter Quell. It wo...
109K 2.3K 38
It's the 100th Hungergames and the Quarter Quell twist; the pool of tributes shall be reaped from the descendants of Victors. Can Victoria Mason mak...
16K 562 32
(Written in 2014) This is the 125th Hunger Games. In honour of the Fifth Quarter Quell, the amount of tributes representing each district will be ra...
22.4K 1.1K 93
The 125th annual Hunger Games has arrived. Of course, the Capitol demands a special games to take place, a Quarter Quell. This year, the fifth Quarte...