On My Doorstep [Editing]

By RuthNaggawa

Fawn Tessa Bonheur is a 23 year old, African American, heiress to a famous publishing company; Vender Publish... More

On My Doorstep
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
A Gift For You! -MUST READ-
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 13.5|RUDE!
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 9

5.5K 217 16
By RuthNaggawa

FAWN

"I have to call Paula at 3:00 pm to schedule a day for us to review what she has so far for her book. Remind me to send out an email about the meeting next week..." I looked up at Alison, who was patiently typing away on her laptop in front of me. This was the one part of the day that was all about scheduling for me, and focusing on it. I always had to make sure that I remembered things from the day before, or just moments before, so that I could have Ali add them to my calendar. She never complained, and I never yelled. I couldn't--not at Alison.

"Forget that, about the email? I'll just send it right after this. Um, call Olivia after we're done here, schedule lunch. Well, it's already scheduled. Just let her know I'll be 10 minutes later than planned. Before you go to lunch, or after around 1:00 pm, call my mother so she can confirm the meeting with the wedding planner. Also-"

"Fawn, about the planner..." Alison stopped typing and smiled at me.

"What about the planner?"

"Your mother already confirmed the meeting."

I rolled my eyes, then groaned in irritation. Couldn't she wait? It was not like I was going to say no, but this was my wedding we were going to be planning. I wanted to be on top of this. She couldn't be running the show.

Again.

She did the same thing when we planned my engagement party. That was the last time I let her pick the food for the event.

I swear, all the food was alive.

I sighed, folding my hands together, "okay. Anyway, let Trent know that dinner tonight is on as well. I'll call him after work to confirm the details. You can call him whenever, as long it's before 3:00 pm. Okay! Thanks, Alison!"

As she's about to exit, Ali turned to me, "Fawn?"

I looked up from the work I'd already started getting back to, "yeah."

"Halloween party, is it still happening?"

Smiling, I nodded, "yes. For sure. You guys can start planning that."

"Awesome! Thanks!" She called out after she was out of sight, and my office.

After about half an hour of typing nonstop, I leaned back in my desk chair and closed my eyes.

How's Ami doing?

I shook my head, trying to stay focused. I'd already called Gillian, the new and surprisingly wonderful nanny, twice today to see how my baby was.

I had every intention of getting to the bottom of this drop off adoption thing, but I didn't expect to be so busy the last couple of weeks. Luckily for me, I had two older siblings with long lists of nannies and babysitters that they liked and trusted. It didn't take us long to pick someone who, thankfully, was available not long after.

Seeing Ami's face had definitely become the highlight of my day, but it was much harder than I thought it would be to have her here while I was working.

The reason I worked so hard when I was at the office was so that I can be out of the office by three, on most days, and spend time with the little one. A part of me felt like I should've been getting Trent some time with her, too, but...

I dialed my house number, kicking myself inwardly.

Just couldn't help it...

"Hey, Fawn. How's work going?" I heard Gill answer the phone.

"It's good. How's my girl?"

"She's doing great! We went to the park earlier and she met a friend. Well, they mostly just smiled at each other. You know, babies."

I laughed, realizing I do know. I remembered how it was helping out with my young cousins when I was a teen. Handfuls, that's for sure.

"She's sleeping now," Gil adds.

"Okay. I'll be back in a couple of hours. Sorry for calling again. I just-"

"I know, hun. I have kids too. Don't apologize. See you soon."

"Bye, Gill."

******

"Do you understand the point of a pseudonym?" I asked Olivia. We were meeting at Moxie's for lunch to discuss her books. Everything was going well, as I'd told her, despite the risk I took with publishing a second manuscript. The one thing I couldn't understand is the name she wants to use.

"Yes, I do. That's why I've said my last name for publishing, is Malcolm, not Haydon."

I laughed, finding Liv's simplicity amusing. She'd always been like this. "So, how are the kids? How's Rob? How's the family?"

It was her turn to laugh at me. "You could have just asked how the family is."

"Yeah, I could have. But you already know that would've meant the whole family, not just your boyfriend and kids."

"Everyone's great," she responded, taking a sip of her water.

I eyed her with suspicion. There was clearly something she wasn't telling me, because she loved to give details about everything, this cousin of mine. She'd say something about what she and Rob talked-or fought-about, the kids doing something new, what Britney was up to, and then maybe mention Amanda.

"Well," she started, putting down her glass, "Rob and I kind of got into it."

"What was it this time?"

"He was trying to convince me to get some help, like a nanny or private daycare. All because I said I was tired."

I smiled, "you know, it's not that bad." I held my hand up in defense as soon as she opened her mouth to retaliate. "I know you had a bad experience. Or experiences. And I'm not trying to convince you to hire one. I'm just saying it helps me. Maybe he suggested it because of the books?"

She looked down, then back up. I knew exactly what that sheepish look meant.

I gasped, "Olivia-"

"Shh," she waved her hands in front of my face. "If I tell him, or anyone and it gets back to him, I'm definitely getting a nanny. I don't want that."

"Maybe you can have them and your nanny, if you get one, come to my place sometimes."

"What? Are they gonna hold hands while they crawl?" Liv asked, laughing.

"Oh, right. Ami can't walk yet... Look, I can see where you're coming from, but... Anyway, enough about that. You coming to Maddi's wedding on Saturday?" I asked her.

She nodded, "yeah. I'm ninety percent sure Rob is coming, too. Are you bringing him?"

"Trent?"

"Yeah."

"He does have a name, you know."

She shrugged, stabbing her fork into her pasta, "I'm not his biggest fan."

"You've made that clear," I told her. "Just make sure you're there on Saturday."

"I will be."

"Good."

******

Man, I'm hungry. I should've had more than just a salad when Liv and I had lunch. But if I did that, I wouldn't have an appetite for dinner. And I'm tired...

"You okay, Fawn?" Trent asked, giving Ami's cheeks a little pinch as she's laying on me. The most relaxing and sleep inducing position, I found, was when I was on my reclining sofa with Ami. Well, when she's calm. When she wants to play, mommy has to play.

I looked at him through my half-closed eyelids, "yes... What time is it?"

He looked over at the clock on my living room wall, "6:30 pm. Your mom is expecting us in fifteen. We should head out."

"Okay," I said, getting up with Ami and getting ready. Well, I prepared everything half an hour ago, so that it wouldn't take forever now. "Why are we going out for dinner, again? Trent?"

With a sigh, he came over to me from the front door and gave me a kiss, "because we need to be a couple and spend some time together."

"Right..."

"Thanks again for watching her," I said to my mom as I got up from my sister's couch, putting down my cup of tea.

"Of course! How could I say no to this bundle of joy?" Talia asked, smiling at Ami.

It's nice to see Ami so comfortable around my sister, and Trent. We were her family, at least for a bit longer, so it really warmed my heart. Gave me purpose in a way.

I gave my sister and Ami a hug, then called for Trent, who was in deep conversation with my brother-in-law, so that we could leave.

"See you soon. Love you!" I told Talia, and Ami air kisses as I headed out behind Trent.

"Love you, too! Bye," Talia responded, waving until the door closed.

"So," Trent started, as we got into the car, "Italian?"

*********

A/N

Looks like Fawn is gonna be having an awesome dinner!

Hey Everyone! It's been a while!

I don't have much to say, other than thank you for all of your continued support. I will try harder to update once a week from now on!

Don't forget to vote and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter!

Love from me to you!!

-HanaMay

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 27.3K 44
Book #2 [Sequel to 'All About Revenge'] [COMPLETED] ***** "I can't do this anymore." I said as ano...
259K 7.4K 27
June Williams is a 17 year old girl who has a rough past, her older sister was killed by a 'wolfs attack' or so that's what the people say. Her older...
4.4M 154K 50
*BEING RE-WRITTEN* "I never once told you I broke the engagement," his words were harsh and spoken in a cold voice but his hand that was running up a...
70.1K 4.7K 42
Joanna Brooks had her life all planned. She'd have graduated in time, got a great job, had a successful career. In the middle there would have been a...