Love And Honour (Book 2)

By randomthoughts96

Nothing has gone as planned. Logan of the Usani family had every intention of persuading the powerful Ricell... More

Author's Note
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Author's Note
Loyalty Or Honour

Chapter XX

8.7K 693 17
By randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Hunter wakes up to an empty room. His vision blurs and shatters as he pushes himself up with his arms. He takes a few moments until the pain dulls and he does not feel like he will stand and stumble. He walks carefully out of the room and knocks on Leo and Jag's room door. They open it and Leo looks disapprovingly down at him. The smell of strong spirit wafts from Hunter's mouth. Even his clothes smell of alcohol. Hunter pushes past him, unwilling to give any sort of explanation. He does not miss Leo shaking his head in disgust, his mouth pinched together. He avoids looking to see Jag's reaction but instead focuses on Logan.

Logan nostrils flare a little and his jaw tightens. Hunter pauses, he did not realise the stench of whiskey and a multitude of other drinks had stuck to him so powerfully. Logan shifts, biting his tongue so not to speak. He wants to give Hunter a chance to come clean. He wants to hear the words come out before he makes any accusations. Hunter is his brother and even though they had not always seen eye to eye, he does not believe his brother would purposely put him in any danger. He has to believe that Hunter did what he had to for a good reason. If only he will come clean now.

Hunter finally lets his gaze go to Jag. Jag looks blankly at him. Hunter grinds his teeth. He feels like he has walked into a trap and his head will not stop pounding. He cannot show as such though, they must believe that he is still thinking with a good clear mind. He has to convince them of something, something he knows that they will all vehemently disagree with. If only Wolfe had not sent them along. Hunter knows he can convince his brother, but them two? It makes everything much harder.

Leo clears his throat and Logan's stomach rumbles. He pulls a face and a slight smile lifts Hunter's lips. Logan smiles a little back. "They never brought up dinner last night." Logan offers as an explanation.

Jag rolls his eyes and he studies Hunter who shifts his weight every few seconds without seeming to realise it. "You look like you have something to say." Hunter hears Jag's words and knows now he must do what he can.

"I think we should return to the Ricell's manor." The moment those words leave his mouth Jag bounds to his feet and Leo makes a loud sound of disbelief.

"You must still be drunk." Jag finally says. Hunter shakes his head, his dark eyes flashing. "Why would we return to the Ricell's? They were about to kill your brother!" Hunter bites down on the words 'half-brother' knowing that they will not help his argument.

Leo places a large hand down on Hunter's shoulder as he sees him take a threatening step towards Jag. It secures him in place. "You should sleep the alcohol out of your system. You are not thinking straight." He calmly speaks. Hunter shakes his hand of his shoulder and steps away from him, a decidedly stubborn expression taking over.

"I am not drunk! I do not need to sleep anything off. And I do not need you to tell me of what they were going to do to Logan! I was the one who got him out of there, not either of you two so come down off of your high horses!" He growls at them both, his eyes narrowing.

"Then what possesses you to say we should return there?" Jag snarls back.

"Do you think I was down there drinking for the sake of it?" Hunter continues to growl out his words. "I was listening out for information." He does not see Logan's eyes narrow the tiniest little bit. "I heard news that will set Logan free from running but we have to return."

"So what did you hear?" Leo asks in his deep baritone voice. Jag shakes his head, believing that this conversation should not even be taking place. The Ricells were going to kill Logan; nothing should make them wish to return.

"Gavriel and his father have been poisoned but live. Gethin Ricell was found responsible and it is the same poison that killed Jasiel. Logan's name is cleared, but we have to return to make sure that it will be done and that no war will ensue on his behalf." Hunter pulls his tone back to a calm one.

Jag scoffs. "That could be a trap or they could change their minds again. It is not worth the risk."

"It is not a trap." Hunter snaps. "Ask around and you will see that it is true."

"Then what does it matter whether he returns or not?" Jag taunts. "His name is cleared, they will not chase after him. We could go back to Usani instead." Leo nods in agreement. Hunter sighs and rolls his eyes.

"If we go straight to Usani then Wolfe will be accused of breaking his arrangement with the Ricells. Surely you see that." He turns to look at Logan who has remained quiet through the entire exchange. Hunter licks his lip, a nervous habit he seems to have picked up from his sister-in-law. Logan nods slowly. "If we go first to the Ricells, they can apologise and you can return home without anything hanging over your head."

"He would still be at risk of them changing their minds and pinning the murder on his head again." Jag continues to argue. Hunter does not bother looking his way but focuses on his brother.

"Then I will get him out of their again even if it means risking my life. I will not let them do anything to him, I give you my vow." Hunter speaks quietly, his words floating through the air to Logan. All of them hear the sincerity in each word.

"I do not wish to put any of our lives in danger." Logan replies, wary of saying too much. Hunter has not yet been completely honest with him. "They will not come after me and I do not need to return to Usani. I could set up a life somewhere else and we all remain safe from harm." Hunter's throat bobs.

"That seems to be the intelligent course of actions to me." Leo adds his thoughts. "You could always return when a punishment for Jasiel's death has taken place."

Hunter grasps for a good argument. This has gone exactly as he expected. Jag and Leo have scoffed at the idea of returning and they seem to have persuaded Logan to side with them. Hunter wishes he could let it go. He wishes that he had never made a deal. But then he does not, without that deal he would never have gotten Logan out. They would never have made it this far. Then it dawns on him. He squashes down his conscience. Logan does not need to know what was in the letter. Not yet.

"Do you not wish to return to Zara now that she knows you did not kill Jasiel?" His conscience lets out a weep of defeat before silencing completely. Hunter watches the pain crossing his brother's face and he knows he has won. A hollow victory; but a victory nonetheless. He promises deep in his heart that he will let no harm come to Logan because of his actions.

"Logan..." Jag softly speaks, ready to persuade him back to what he believes is the safest course. He does not get a chance. Logan pushes away from the wall and searches his brother's face. Hunter does not turn away but lets him examine him. His thoughts get pushed down so far there is no way Logan could ever find them. Logan struggles to find anything. He has to trust his gut. He grew up by Hunter's side and he cannot believe that Hunter would lead him into danger. He will have to give him to time.

"Hunter and I will return to the Ricell manor. You two may do as you wish." He says. Jag frowns across at Leo who shrugs his great shoulders. Hunter does not let his relief show.

Jag goes to Leo's side and whispers something quickly into his ear. Leo has to bend his knees significantly to be the same height. He says something back, the conversation indiscernible to the Usani brothers. Jag agrees with him and after sending a quick scowl at Hunter says, "We will return to Usani and inform Wolfe of what you have foolishly decided to do. You will need more than Hunter by your side if things go south."

"That seems a wise course to take but hopefully any forces he sends will be unnecessary."

The four men pull on their boots and Hunter and Logan cover their faces. They go downstairs and the landlady quickly bustles them over to a table where she has laid out four plates with a hearty breakfast. They all eat in silence. When finished Leo and Jag leave first. Logan looks across at Hunter's face completely in shadows. "How is your head?"

Hunter chuckles lightly. "I feel like I have been hit by a horse's hoof."

"So you overheard all of that information sitting down here?" Logan asks. He does not see the strange emotion flicker in Hunter's orbs. "I came down for a short while last night, they were a silent crowd."

"Spirits loosen lips." Hunter offers quietly.

"Did it loosen yours?"

Hunter lets out a half chuckle. "No. You came down last night? Why?"

Logan finishes his glass of water. "You were missing." Hunter's fingers tighten around his glass. A crack appears and grows. The glass shatters and Hunter hisses in reply. Several eyes look their way. Logan rolls his eyes and stands. He grabs Hunter's arm and pulls him outside the tavern. He drops Hunter's arm to grip onto Hunter's wrist. He studies the blood soaked hand and sighs. Hunter tries to pull away but Logan presses down on one of the cuts empty of glass and he groans in pain. "You are such a child sometimes." He says without humour.

The tavern door opens and the landlady pops her head out. She offers a bright smile and holds out a clean white cloth. Logan bows his head in thanks and takes it with his free hand. She goes back inside, closing the door behind her. "Would you stay still?" Logan says with a great annoyance. Hunter puts his weight down into his heels, stopping all movement. With careful, professional hands, Logan slowly removes all the glass embedded in his palm. Hunter grimaces but makes no more noises. Once his palm is free of fragments Logan winds the cloth around his hand, tying it tightly around Hunter's wrist. "We will redo it when we are near a stream." His voice brooks no arguments.

Hunter takes his hand back, wincing a little as the open wounds sting as they brush against the fabric. "Whatever the healer wants."

"The healer wants you to remain here while I get the horses. Do not do anything to make your injury worse." Logan orders. Hunter does not reply. "Promise me you will stand and wait like I have asked."

"I promise." Hunter finally speaks, his tone bored. The moment Logan's back is turned he flexes his hand. Little spots of blood speckle the cloth. Logan turns back and sees it and he sighs. Hunter grins from beneath his hood. "You told me to stand and wait." Logan laughs at his words, forgetting briefly that Hunter is keeping secrets from him. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4K 1.2K 28
It's the year 2153. The world has fallen into a state of monarchy. Every country has a king and queen. And every country wants to increase their tie...
143 1 5
Two strong and independent women. One, who is obvious at what she does. The other, who maintains her subtlety. One, who kills professionally to prote...
217K 18K 48
Lord Bear Usani has dealt with a great many of emotions through his life: happiness, excitement, victory, mischief...loss, sadness, grief, guilt... T...
57.6K 2.7K 31
(Series) Lady Rose Hamilton the daughter of Duke Hamilton a well-known intimidating titled man but behind that cold ice face he didn't hide to love...