A Thousand Encounters

By LettingYouIn

He, Disciplined! She, a beautiful chaos! He, Stalwart! She, a wanderer! He, a soldier! Sh... More

Introduction
Chapter-1
Chapter-2
Chapter-3
Chapter-4
Chapter-5
Chapter-6
Chapter-7
Chapter-8
Chapter-9
Chapter-10
Chapter-11
Chapter-12
Chapter-13
Chapter-14
Chapter-15
Chapter-17
Chapter-18
Chapter-19
Chapter-20
Chapter-21
Chapter-22
Chapter-23
Chapter-24
Chapter- 25
Chapter-26
Chapter-27
Chapter-28
Chapter-29
Chapter-30
Chapter-31
Chapter-32
Chapter-33
Chapter-34
Chapter-35
Chapter-36
Chapter-37
Chapter-38
Chapter-39
Chapter-40
Chapter-41
Chapter-42
Chapter-43
Chapter-44
Chapter-45
Chapter-46
Chapter-47
Chapter- 48
Chapter-49
Chapter-50
Chapter-51
Chapter-52
Chapter-53
Chapter-54
Chapter-55
Hola
Chapter-56
Hello there!!
Chapter-57
Chapter-58
Chapter-59
Chapter - 60
Chapter- 61
Chapter-62
Chapter-63
Chapter-64
Chapter - 65
Chapter-66
Chapter-67
Author's Note

Chapter-16

5.5K 505 103
By LettingYouIn

Dropping her home, he was driving back to check post. His mind was nothing less than a parliament house as debate inside was loud and brutal. A battle was on how she could actually end all of this just by being in front of her. Was it all that stupid to end like that? He hit the horn angrily. Trying to ignite his gone anger, he had beaten his calm mind for being so easy. But truth couldn't be changed. She was the one who made him all agitated and she was the one who calmed him down. Same girl had all the might to play his mind and he needed to understand that it wasn't her fault. He was feeling relieved somewhere for getting to apologize to her. He was not someone who could behave that rude to any lady and then live with it. But then what to do with this stubborn part which was instigating him to carry on this agitation. He was changing and he knew it. He was angry because of that same change and she wasn't letting him take control. Shouldn't he be more angry but why then she shushed all his ifs and buts.  He sighed deep as he reached the check post. He saw Harshad grumpily walking around. 

"One more idiot to handle," Manik mumbled and got down. 

Nandini on other hand entered the house quietly and as she tried to take the stairs, she heard familiar cough. 

"Good to see you alive," Daadu taunted and she closed her eyes. 

She mumbled something under her breath as she walked to Daadu who was sitting in his cozy rocking chair. 

"You can abuse me in face," He taunted further and she huffed angrily. 

"I wasn't cursing," She clarified acutely. 

"Who dropped you home?" He asked further inquiring. 

"No one. I drove myself home," She lied boldly. 

"I can smell an army jeep like a sniffer dog," Daadu answered with a smirk.

"Was that Manik?" He asked being a bit excited. 

"Kind of," She answered absentmindedly trying to hold her torn trouser. 

"What kinda liaison you two were having?" Daadu asked terrified looking at her cloths. 

"Don't get ideas," Nandini warned him as he tried to run horses of his imagination. 

"That idiot can't do a thing properly," She said trying to fight with her torn pant. Daadu sighed aloud and he sounded shocked. 

"Good night," She bade angrily and stomped away. 

"This sounds interesting," Daadu exclaimed and smiled wickedly. 

__________________

Two days later 

Situation was under control as military had hunted down the intruders. Normalcy was returning to academy as well as town. Town had hardly suffered except for tight surveillance. Cadets had contributed in maintaining peace in town in past two days whereas skilled officers had cleaned the borders completely. Life was expected to return to normal that morning. 

"Wake up, Manik," Harshad tenderly tapped Manik's shoulder. Manik smiled in sleep and Harshad could just smile wider.

"Wait" 

Harshad grimed as he realized how stupid it was. Last two days were certainly odd when it came to Manik. He wasn't a hulk anymore. He wasn't blasting people around. He was calmer as if finally had scored. Harshad bit his own tongue even when his thought wasn't aloud. He ruffled Manik's hair and gave up. A smile played on his lips seeing his buddy smiling carefree in his sleep. 

"I promise I won't even shout on you," Manik mumbled and then snuggled more into his pillow. 

Harshad heard his ramblings as he folded his bed. 

"But please...come...come to academy," Manik spoke more in his sweet sleep. 

"Wake up, gone case," Harshad said a little loud. 

"Let me sleep," Manik grunted as if trying very hard to resume his dream. 

"I promise I won't fight with you,"He mumbled in sleep and then frowned. 

"Lieutenant Kalra," Harshad uttered aloud and Manik slipped off the bed trying to get up. He fell flat on his butt and Harshad laughed aloud. 

"You moron," Manik cursed as he got up and Harshad tried not to lose himself into laughter fit. 

"You are too sweet, Manik," He remarked. 

"I am not," Manik retorted a bit rudely trying to hold his demeanor. 

__________________

"Good morning, Daadu," Nandini wished sweetly as she reached the dining table. 

"Someone is awake a bit too early," Daadu quipped flipping pages of newspaper. 

"You know, I have a job to go," Nandini said bragging a bit. 

"I thought you had dumped that job," Daadu said peeping over newspaper. 

"I was just taking a break, you know," She said trying to sound casual. 

"What happened to your 'I don't want to see his face'?" Daadu grilled her as she buttered the toast. 

Nandini looked at him glaring and then poured juice into glass. 

"My life doesn't revolve around him, you know," She replied coolly. 

"One night changed everything," Daadu commented and then pretended to get busy with his newspaper. 

"I wonder what happened that night," He added trying to instigate her. 

"Very funny," She replied sharply and said, "Nothing happened that night." 

"Now if your wit buds are satisfied, can I go?" She taunted as she picked up keys. 

"Yeah sure," Daadu answered trying not to sound hell curious. 

"As if I care," He added for a little impact. 

Nandini shook her head and then stormed out. 

"This is getting crazier. I cannot be missing this. I cannot afford to miss it," He said impatiently as he threw newspaper somewhere. He picked up the phone and searched directory for some number. 

_________________

Manik took a little extra time as he set his hair and then straightened his uniform. Walking out of room, he looked around as if trying to feel even better about morning.

"Someone is being utterly weird these days," Harshad commented as he joined Manik for the mess. 

"There's nothing like that," Manik clarified in uninterested tone. 

"You know boys are complaining that you haven't blast anyone since two days. They are worried for you," Harshad mocked further. 

"Ask them to shut up," Manik answered still quite impassively. 

"Tell na, what it is?" Harshad clung to Manik as he tried to coax him to spill the beans. 

"Get off me," Manik shrugged him off. 

"Please na," Harshad insisted. 

"Shut up, Harshad," Manik roared as they reached mess. 

As they started their breakfast, one of their friends entered mess with a frown. Everyone gaped at him trying to figure out the reason. 

"What happened?" Harshad asked as he joined the table. 

"I don't get these officers," He replied irked. 

"But what happened?" Harshad asked again. 

"One Lieutenant Kalra wasn't enough so now we have one extra class for horse riding, that too with some brigadier," he explained and everyone around sighed in frustration. 

"Why these people even give us night rest? They should start classes in night as well," Harshad ranted. 

"Brigadier giving equestrian classes? Sounds like a rumor," Manik added. 

 "Do you think I am joking, Malhotra? I have read it on notice board," That boy told. 

"Some ex brigadier is coming to conduct special workshop with infantry unit," he added. 

"Ex-brigadier?" Harshad asked. 

"Some Murthy guy," Boy put plainly. 

Manik's face lit up like a bulb as he heard that surname. 

"Daadu is coming," He exclaimed aloud. 

"Daadu?" Everyone around asked in unison. 

"I mean Brigadier Murthy," Manik said clarifying and trying to hold his excitement. 

Everyone got busy ranting about new workshop whereas Manik got busy holding his happiness about news. He felt much more elated about the day. 

______________

Nandini walked to admin office. Entering her cabin, she dropped her stuff on table and crashed in chair. She was certainly feeling relaxed after deciding to come back. Thinking wasn't her hobby so she didn't fret much about decision. She felt like coming back, so she did. But the way she was cautious in corridor about not colliding to that one person, that was weird. 

"Nandini"

Nandini heard a familiar voice and looked up. Colonel Sigh was standing there with a frown. 

"Good morning, Uncle," Nandini stood up as he walked in. He gestured her to sit down and himself got settled in chair in front of her. 

"There's nothing good in this morning," He said with apparent frown. 

"What happened?" Nandini asked trying to understand him, "Is condition still hostile?" 

"Noo, that's been taken care of. Everything is back to normal," He answered. 

"Your grandpa is joining the academy," He informed and Nandini's jaw dropped. 

"What?" She exclaimed and Colonel sighed. 

"He has literally made himself guest professor here for next few days," He explained. 

"But...I mean...he didn't even talk about it to anyone in home," Nandini said trying to digest he piece of news. 

 "He didn't even talk to me. He commanded me. He literally planted him here," Colonel told with a frustrated face. 

"I can't believe it," Nandini murmured. She could sense his curiosity this morning itself but she even in her wildest dream had not thought that he would join the academy. 

"You know how he is?" Colonel drew Nandini's attention and chuckled at his own fate. 

"He would insult me around with his humor and I have to tolerate that," He put with a defeated face. 

"Don't worry, Uncle," Nandini assured, "He won't do anything of that sort." She assured colonel being a bit unsure herself. 

"I want you to be with him so that he doesn't entertain cadets with 'Singh Jokes' brand," Colonel pleaded as next thing. 

"What would I do?" Nandini said backing off. She had realized or not but she was done with drama quotient. She didn't want to have fun anymore and accompanying her grandpa would mean assisting him in rocking this academy. She had least stamina and zeal left. 

"You have to do this for me, please," Colonel pleaded seeing her in some thought. 

"Okay," She said lowly, "I will make sure he doesn't turn your academy upside down."

Colonel Singh walked to her and kissed her forehead affectionately.

"Thank you for saving me, Puttar," He said and she smiled. 

Colonel left the room while Nandini tried to lift her low energy. She scolded herself for being dull as she tried to fret why she was trying to be away from all the fun. 

_________________

"No, At least you could tell me, Daadu," Nandini was busy having a argument with her Daadu when someone stormed in. They both looked towards door and saw Manik standing there. He looked embarrassed as well as excited. He looked at Nandini and sighed in relief. He looked happy that she was there. She narrowed her eyes as she caught that little relieved smile. 

"Malhotra," Daadu exclaimed and walked to him to engulf into a bone crushing hug. Nandini rolled her eyes as she saw those two having a 'Bharat-Milap'. 

"Ready for my special coaching?" Daadu asked when Manik was busy stealing glances of Nandini. She had conveniently ignored his presence and was busy going through some file. 

"I am more than ready. I am a good student, you see," He taunted Nandini indirectly. She still didn't pay any heed, but curled her lips a bit. 

"I take my every class seriously," He added aloud and looked at her. 

"Not like a few who disappears leaving all the training in middle," He taunted directly and she looked at him finally with all sort of abuses in eyes. 

Daadu assessed the situation and laughed silently at his innuendo. 

"Tables turn, son," He intervened seeing Nandini not responding. 

"Now she is gonna be your teacher," He informed and Manik's jaw dropped. He looked more than shocked. He shook his head refusing to register Daadu's words and then opened his mouth to say something. 

"You heard it right," Daadu confirmed. 

"She is gonna be a demonstrator as I shall not be riding horses in this age," He informed and Nandini's jaw dropped as well.

"I am gonna what?" She asked closing the file. 

"You are gonna be trainer," Daadu told and she blinked her eyes a few times to process the information. 

"She cannot be a teacher. That too of mine," Manik objected almost mockingly.

"Exactly," She said but then got his mocking tone so she molded, "I mean I can be. Why I cannot be a teacher?! I am anyway better than you in horse riding." She completed walking next to them.

"You are not," He retorted and stepped towards her. 

"I am better than you, Manik. And you know it," She said taking a step closer as well. Daadu parted them away using his arms while they both kept fighting through eyes. 

"Things sound normal now," Daadu commented and they both backed off a bit. 

"Now if you don't mind, I have work to do," Nandini said walking back to her table. 

"Even I have a better things to do," Manik said next and walked to door. 

"Don't forget about shooting class," He reminded before closing the door. 

"Such egoist," Nandini remarked and then shook her head. 

"How I missed this!!" Daadu exclaimed and walked back to his chair. 

________________________

"I  heard his granddaughter would be instructor," One of Cadets murmured to another and Manik had seemed to grow his ears a bit too big. He was trying to hear every whisper standing in neat line. 

"And I heard she is hot," Other one replied back and Manik pursed his lips in displeasure. 

"I know. It's gonna be...," They both couldn't even complete when Manik asked them to shut up. 

He mumbled some abuses to them under his breath and then looked towards stable. 

"Even I am excited about girl trainer part," Harshad mumbled in Manik's ear. 

Manik glared him and buried him two feet under the ground virtually. 

"Why are you fuming?" Harshad asked being clueless.

Before they could continue their banter, Nandini came out of stable riding a white horse. 

Boys sighed aloud as she glided towards them. She had worn a light puce colored skin tight shirt which was collared up to her collar bone, with a grey pant. Open hair neatly covered under a cap and black gumboots reaching her calves, she shouldn't have looked that classy that's what Manik thought as he heard cold sighs of boys around. Manik pouted as he had to stand hands tied. 

"Eyes here, you douche-bags," Daadu commanded as he saw all of them gawking Nandini. 

"She in no second would run the horse over you idiots and believe me, even I won't be able to stop her," Daadu added and all the cadets straightened. Manik smiled a bit agreeing to what Daadu had said and then mentally slapped himself. Nandini took a round of big ground before reaching them and as soon as she reached there, her fine scent touched Manik's nostrils. He pouted angrily as he thought about perv noses around. 

"At ease, my boys," Daadu commanded and they all stood a bit less planked. 

"I am Brigadier Murthy and believe me I am here to make your lives hell," Daadu declared living up to his rank and demeanor. Nandini smirked as she stood next to Daadu and saw Manik standing in line. She was definitely feeling better.

"I am gonna give you toughest of lessons and she is gonna make sure you learn them," He added and all the eyes shot to Nandini easily avoiding first clause of sentence. They all gave moony eyes to Nandini trying to impress her while she spared them a formal smile.  

"So who is gonna volunteer for a being a scapegoat who would go on a ride with a practitioner like her just to look like a fool?" Daadu asked and within seconds, almost all the cadets had stepped out volunteering for the role. 

Manik looked around and saw only he and few good men standing at their positions and rest all had stepped ahead. He shook his head denying to accept the reality. He couldn't be this helpless. She couldn't be close to those hormonal idiots. He couldn't be punished like that for being an ass. He wanted to cry aloud at irony of situation. 

"Looks like there are plenty of fools," Daadu quipped and then laughed aloud. 

Nandini shook her head rolling her eyes as she read the desperation. It was bit awkward being only girl in midst of all the boys but she certainly wasn't nervous. She knew she was going to have some real fun. 

 Daadu walked across the line of volunteers examining each and everyone. He looked at Nandini and she gestured at one utterly excited guy. Daadu chose him and he broadened his chest in utter pride. Manik's face fell even more. He wasn't pleased at all. 

"Now get ready to be her rookie who would get his ass whipped so that these idiots can watch what not to do,"  Daadu announced and Nandini walked to her horse. That boy followed her and took the horse. As Nandini started her ride and that boy fumbled with saddle and then with reign. As he tried to ride the horse, horse neighed bad. Horse reared as cadet tried to pull the reign. In next moment, cadet was on ground as horse stood up on his hind legs. Manik smirked in relief and Nandini looked back only to get disappointed how he couldn't even try to match her. 

"First lesson, do not get overexcited," Daadu told as that boy stood up rubbing his butt. 

"Know your horse first," He added and Manik danced a little more in his heart. 

"Try to read its mood," Daadu explained. 

"And lastly, do not volunteer for being a scapegoat just because lioness is gorgeous," Daadu added and Manik tried not to laugh. Nandini joined them back. She saw him pursing his lips trying to control his fluent laugh and shook her head. He was turning into a subject for her now rather than clown and that was something to be worried about. She was trying to stay away and then ending up noticing him, that was even more serious. She sighed long and deep trying to shush her mind. 

"Cadet Malhotra, you are next," Daadu announced and smile from Manik's face faded away. 

________________________

_____________

Unedited*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 4.2K 31
Just read🍭
233K 5.9K 111
Just read
270K 23.6K 62
Yash Purohit- 27 year old CA, Carefree, Bindass, Jolly, happy Go person. Once you meet him, he will ensure your comfort. He gives his time to family...
His Kryptonite. By Nqaba_

Mystery / Thriller

289 11 14
As the villainous antagonist secretly lives out his fantasy, will he be stopped by her one true love? Or will she lay wavering in the storm?