The Girl Who Cried Blood

By MadInsidiousSheepGrl

When Mae was forced to go to Whitehall College, deep in the mountains where no one could find her, she didn't... More

Preface: Momento Mori

Chapter 1: Beautiful Monster

149 8 12
By MadInsidiousSheepGrl

Hiya! *waves*

Long time no upload... :) I hope you all relate to Mae; I think it's easy to relate to monstrous characters, but that is only my opinion... Enjoy!!!

VOTE COMMENT FAN

~Sheep Grl ;)

Mae:

The lid of my egg-like enclosure opened and I surfaced from the water. My breath came in short, shallow gasps; my chest rising and falling rapidly as I desperately gasped for air in earnest. My heavy, blood coloured locks clung to the sides of my face and reached low, down the arch of my back.

My hand shot up to my chest, where my heart was. It was stilling beating, albeit erratically... That meant I was still alive. Heart beating, lungs filling with air. It still didn't make sense, I should have been dead.

My eyes wide, I looked through the darkness around me. My vision blurred and pain lanced through my skull every time I moved. Who had done this? I was supposed to die… I want to die...

"Mae."

A man in a white coat floated through the darkness; beady eyes studying me as he pushed his small glasses up the bridge of his nose. He frowned, bushy eyebrows pulling together in disdain as he looked down in disgust.

"You survived the treatment." The words weren’t those of glee.

"Aren't scientist supposed to be smart? It's pretty obvious I'm alive by the way I'm still breathing!"

I laughed dryly, my original hatred flooding back to me at the sight of him. I tightened my hands together, curling them into powerful fists. My power was back with my will to fight; I knew that I had to kill every last one of them.

They deserved to burn in Hell for what they did to me.

A dark smiled crept to my lips. I rose with a fluid grace, water sloshing at my feet; my fingertip lightly stroked across my bottom lip with sharp nails. A small cut formed and I licked the wound clean, much in a way like a snake would flick out its tongue. In front of me the scientist stared in horror.

"Now it is time for sweet revenge..." I giggled, placing one step forward out of my cage for the last 6 months. In a blur of red light, I plunged my hand through his chest.

His voice broke mid scream and I grinned, pulling out my gore filled fist. I took a small moment to study his heart; still pulsing. His body crumpled onto the black floor, his expression that of utter fear. I threw the heart onto the polished linoleum; it splattered with a squish, droplets flying around like tiny bullets. One landed into my open mouth, the taste sending a flutter of anticipation in my stomach, hungry for battle.

My fist tightened, eyes blazing a magnificent, crimson red.

I opened the door, leading me into the crowded yet silent laboratory. The eyes of every white coated monster fell on me. Their looks varied from disgust and disbelief to amazement at my, still living, presence.

... I killed them all.

8 weeks later: 

Coach Steve's voice pounded through Whitehall Secondary College; shaking the old walls and spreading the news of my arrival through the school of my nightmares. The walls moaned as the wind blew strongly outside, the sun slowly rising over the dark pine forest that protected the grounds from the public eye.

I could hear the whispers already... Their judgments weighing me down...

"You were on the run for 8 weeks?!" Coach threw his arms up in exasperation.

I squinted, his angry tone shaking my shattered heart. Turning slightly away from his booming voice, his raspy vocals magnified against the wood-panel floors and walls of the newly built gym.

I had never heard his voice grasp such anger; I was almost afraid.

…Almost.

"Yes..." I replied to him coolly. "In fact I was gone for 6 months; only the last 8 weeks were spent on the run..."

He ground his teeth together. "I know that Mae! Don't act like I don't know what you did! I DO! I had to deal with the bloody mess you left behind! How do you think I felt when they called me to say that more than 50 people, werewolves included, were DEAD?!"

He turned away from my nonchalance; fingers raked through his dark, greying hair as he huffed. I just stood there, a scowl tugging at my plush lips and my arms crossed tightly over my chest. I would not let him think he won...Never.

"You do care that you killed them, right?" his voice took on a tone I didn’t recognise as he turned back around, staring at me sadly. Why was he so disappointed; I'm not his child, I'm not his problem... Why did he bother to care?

"Life and death become meaningless after so much loss around you..." I stated as a matter-of-factly.

Of course I cared. Every day I would grieve in silent solitude. No one, not even me, would ever know the extent of my shame. I was not denying the fact I was a monster, a murderer; only that as a monster I could feel pain... But no one could know that...

Coach shook his head at me, a disbelieving look clouding his already foggy, aged eyes.

"Sometimes I can't believe the things that come out of your mouth Mae... You used to be so..."

He stared into my haunted eyes, blackening in anger. He could not mention it. He would not mention it. He sighed.

"You used to have a sense of humanity. What happened?"

"I never had humanity Coach; only now have I realised there is no reason to hide my true nature." My hands knotted into tight fists at my sides; knuckles turning a stark white.

"If your parents were here they would be disappointed in you..." Anger boiled inside me, bubbling in my core; I could feel my eyes flashing a bloody, fluorescent red.

"It's good they're not here then, isn't it?" I stepped towards him, a malicious smile on my lips. "You going to punish me instead? You'll break your promise to Father otherwise..."

He stared at me, shocked.

"I won't break my promise..." He pondered for a moment. "As punishment you will have to re-join the fighting club. We need another female member, and I'm sure you won't refuse a chance to fight... All I need to know is that you’re strong enough after the hospital."

I smiled, holding back laughter.

"Of course I'm strong enough... I'll beat the puny humans into the dirt!"

He sighed. "Don't underestimate them. You’re extremely weak taking those pills."

"Oh, don't even mention those." I spat.

Those stupid Scientists! They couldn't find a cure for anything; but of course they could find my weakness!

Why were humans so STUPID?

"I think you should go unpack your stuff and get ready for class..." Coach Steve stared at me, his eyes burning in anger, resigned; emotions that looked so foreign on his usually caring face.

"Yea, I should." Turning away from his glare, I flitted towards the closed door and my escape from this gym... I'm sure; even with the weakening pills I could kill those humans with my bare hands.

The thought of them begging for mercy made a smile creep onto my lips.

I reached forward, pushing open the double doors and revealing the new me to a large group of students who stood near the door, waiting to be let into the Dining Hall for breakfast. They stared at me in fear; their eyes burning through my skin.

"What’re you looking at?" I growled under my breath at a pair of girls, almost screaming as I brushed past them.

The girl's dorms are located in the west corridor; to get in you need a special key card. This was in place so that the guys didn't sneak into the girl's rooms. It was the same for the guys too.

The only problem…I didn't have mine.

"Need help?" the voice was male, resonate, and whoever it was must have came from a very foreign country with a strange accent.

An arm brushed across my shoulder as he swiped his key card. He pulled away much slower than he should have, his hand resting near me for much too long.

"What are you doing?" I spun to face the man, raising my head to meet his eyes, and then some.

He was TALL!! When I say tall I'm talking like 6 foot 6. With long brown hair tied into a ponytail at the nape of his neck… Russian. There’s no doubt about it. Hmmm...a hot Russian. I almost cringed, as the smell of canine wafted to me.

A werewolf...This could be a problem...

"... stupid werewolf." I added.

He smiled, muttering under his breath: "Krasivyĭ, I am helping you. Don't disrespect me little one. I am very powerful; the Alpha of my pack. I will not tolerate your rudeness. I am here to guard the students and make sure you do not harm them... We can be civilised about this and act like each other don't exist, or we can do it the fun way and hate each other? What do you want?"

Hot Russian werewolf guard... This just keeps getting better.

My face reddened to match the colour of my hair and eyes, his heated gaze tingling my skin.

"I think that hating each other will be much more fun..." I smirked, making sure I looked sexy as hell; it was the easiest form of intimidation.

Without hesitation he flung me into the wall, next to the glass door that would have shattered if I had gone through it. He pinned me, my body held above the ground. It was war he wanted and I was more than happy to give it to him with all I had.

"You will pay for your stupidity child." He let go of around my neck, my combat boots smashing against the floor as I landed. Annoyed, I massaged my neck softly.

"That was a little rough; nicer next time?" I asked with a sugary voice.

"Maybe." His words were cold.

He disappeared from sight.

I seriously needed to stop taking these pills so I could kill that guy... I laughed a little, a breathy one through the nose, at his mysterious exit.

With my hand rubbing my sore neck, where I was sure had the imprint of red hand marks on them, I let myself inside the door which was still open. Inside the hallway were two paths and a large block of rooms in the middle.

Each room bunked 2 people and had an en-suite. Not all of the rooms where occupied and the ones at the back of the hall where larger. My room was right at the back, where no one could hear me scream. That's what I liked to say, but the school said that it was because 'At the end of the hallway you can have your privacy, with your situation you need all the privacy you can get'.

That was such a crappy excuse. The real reason I was at the back was because the other students were afraid of me! I was almost proud of that, but it wasn't a happy pride. Like everything in my life it held no happiness.

I rummaged through the pockets of my black skinny jeans, pulling out my keys to the room. I looked up at the sign that sat tranquil on the wooden door. It read:

Room 234, Mae Johnston.

Year 10 - Un-occupied.

I slid the 'unoccupied' to 'occupied', opening the door and stepping inside.

The room was huge, with a double bed, desk, and a chest of drawers. All of the furniture was modern gothic; made of complex, twisting black metal and polished wood. They were large and ostentatious, suiting the students and the school perfectly. In the centre of the room a small, black chandelier hung from the roof; lit candles partially lighting the dark room.

Everything was exactly as I had left it. My old homework was still on the desk, my humanities book opened and covered with dust. My bed was un-made and the sheets were spread across the mattress like I had slept on it last night, not 8 months ago.

I pulled my body upwards, breathing in the dusty air. I couldn't smell a thing with human senses, I almost kicked myself at the thought of my weakness. I still couldn't believe that a small pill could break my tether to the spirit world and make me as weak as a human!

I threw my bag onto the floor, turning on the light. The light illuminated the dark corners and I skipped towards my bathroom door; going through to have a look at my reflection.

The mirror still had punch marks where I had taken out my drunken anger. Thousands of shards of sharp glass littered the tiles, crunching under my feet as I walked to get closer to the mirror. In the mirror the reflection was not mine.

It was the human me.

At first glance we were almost exactly alike, apart from the obvious. My layered, razor cut hair and eyes were a dark, blood red; her hair was black and her eyes were a deep emerald that shimmered with laughter. Her eyes were larger, innocent; they held hope that mine had lost long ago.

Her body moved gracefully, but unlike my movement it was not perfect. Her arms were slightly thinner, her waist slightly wider. There were many reasons why being a Diaboli Angel was good.

A Diaboli Angel; the sinister mixture of Angel and Demon blood, to create me… The most powerful being alive on Earth.

The pills cut off my connection to Heaven and Hell. Without their power and guidance I was left to make my own choices...

I moved closer to the mirror, running my fingers across the smooth surface; avoiding the wounds where I had assaulted it. Sometimes, I couldn't believe my beauty. Looking in the mirror though... I was assured the fact I was real. My beauty was true.

My fingers fell to the counter, my eyes plastered to where my reflection began to talk. I stood still watching her walk back and place a hand on her hip.

"What are you doing?" She asked in a bitchy tone.

For a moment I was slightly confused as to why my reflection was moving when I was not; but the feeling quickly fled. I had adjusted to the weird and abnormal; paranormal activity was common in my life.

I smiled at her as she scowled at me.

"What does it look like, you impostor? I'm wasting my time talking to you." I smiled sweetly at her.

"I think it's the other way around." she said sourly. Why was my reflection such a bitch?

"I'm sure it is, now what are you doing here?"

I could tell she was keeping a secret; she smiled as if doing so would help hide the secret inside her.

"I'm not gonna tell. I don't like you very much." Her tone was childish, but her eyes held a challenge.

I laughed at her, her smile turning to another scowl. "SHUT UP!" She screamed, huffing and turning away.

"Guess you don't want to hear what the angel's sent me here to tell you then, huh?"

I ceased the fake laughter, straightening as I realised that tormenting her would do me no good... I mean me... No, her.

"Tell me."

"Say please." I glared at her for a moment…

"Please." She smirked, placing a manicured nail to her lip, her body beginning to sway slightly.

Her eyes hollowed almost instantly, her face becoming deadpan.

"Whoa..." I muttered under my breath, stepping back cautiously.

She lowered her face to the ground on the other side, her mouth opening.

"Your futures will be intertwined."

With that my reflection disappeared, leaving me alone. I stared at the mirror, wide eyed in shock. What had just happened? Our futures will be intertwined? Sometimes I hated how the Angels were so bloody CRYPTIC!! Did they even speak friggin’ English?

I quickly shrugged on my school uniform; pulling the red, black and grey plaid skirt high up to my waist, that way it showed off my long legs. The thin shirt was see-through, so I wore over the top of it the woollen sweater, branded with the Whitehall emblem: A red rose with thick, thorny vines snaking around it.

I smiled, knowing that even without a reflection that I looked god damn sexy. I kept my bright red combat boots on, untied, gliding out to the Dining Hall for my grand entrance...

Seth:

The day was warm for spring. The snow had melted, plants where growing green and animals sung in the early morning. The air was cool, refreshing your body when you stepped outside; it sent shivers across your skin and made smiles spread across normal people’s lips. It was exactly the type of atmosphere I loathed.

School was normal. People looked through me. I was surrounded by my only friend, Dylan Murdoch, and I manage to scrape B's in most of my boring classes. When people rarely talked to me, I replied with small talk or sarcastic comments.

Dylan followed me all day. His pointless rambling pissed me off, but I had no choice. I couldn't imagine telling him to shut up; I doubt it would do anything anyway. I don't think Dylan has ever been told 'no' in his life. But with the amount of money his family has its understandable that he would never not get what he wants.

Him and I were complete opposites. He was loud, outgoing, animated, compelling, charismatic, plainly weird, positive and rich. Me? I'm the poor, anti-social emo kid. I wasn't emo, but I continued to be called so. I'm sure it was the black hair, pale skin and sarcastic remarks that made people think so.

Or maybe it was the time when Dylan had walked into the bathroom when I was holding a razor. I wasn't doing anything, just looking at it, but he took it out of my hand. He screamed at the top of his lungs "EMO!" and flicked the razor into the sink. After that he just ran around in circles, giving me a strange, very animated lecture on why hurting yourself was wrong.

Yeah, that was probably it. Dylan had a problem with what’s called an ‘inside voice’. The gossiping doesn’t help too. No one told him a secret unless they wanted it to be shared with the whole school. I was sure that he was out to get me. He was secretly evil.

Dylan nudged me violently in the ribs just before the hall deadened in silence. He pointed towards the door of the cafeteria, blocked by his fat head.

"Look."

I stared around his head, seeing only a crowd of people nearing as they edged away from the door.

"What's going on Dylan? I can't see the door?"

In a flash Dylan had pulled me up by my shirt to follow him. A smile graced his features. The smile was shared with no other; no one could smile like him. It was wide, mischievous and reflected his nature in every way.

Dragging me against my will, he sat me down on a vacant seat next to the line of gossiping people waiting for their lunch.

Then I saw the most amazing thing I had ever seen...

Continue Reading