Bows and Eros

By Unevenfeets

When sixteen year old Macy wakes up in purgatory, she knows something isn't right. She was supposed to surviv... More

Prologue (Edited)
Chapter 1: Cosmic Glitch
Chapter 2: Archery Lesson
Chapter 3: Following Orders
Chapter 5: Pomegranates
Chapter 6: Scars
Chapter 7: Helena
Chapter 8: Favors
Chapter 9: Aphrodite's wishes
Chapter 10: The Oracle
Chapter 11: Evan
Chapter 12: Safe Love
Chapter 13: Misfire
Chapter 14: The Statement
Chapter 15: The Trial
Chapter 16: Underworld
Author's note
BONUS CONTENT: EROS ONE SHOT
Hearts &Hades CHAPTER 1: How to reap a murderer
H&H Chapter 2: Other Forms of Payment
H&H Chapter 3: Evan and The Offer
H&H Chapter 4: Visitation
H&H Chapter 5: The Half Blood and the Kiss
H&H Chapter 6: Hades
H&H Chapter 7: Delirium
H&H CHAPTER 8: Gifts and sensitives
H&H Chapter 9: Cracking open
H&H Chapter 10: Two shades of Gabe
H&H Chapter 11: Hello, Goodbye
H&H Chapter 12: Thinking Clearly
H&H Chapter 13: Puppet Strings
H&H Chapter 14: Changing Faces
Author's Note
Heroic Hera: A Heart and Hades One-shot
Random author's note: Sorry I'm a hot mess

Chapter 4: Dancing with the Dead

3K 170 9
By Unevenfeets

"What am I doing here," I asked Eros, feeling my temperature rise in anger. "Where is Gabe?"

"So worried about that sad little guardian," Eros replied. "But don't worry, he'll be fine. He's a quick study, and he'll probably come here looking for you soon. My damn mother had to give him free reign over the universe to assist you, her newest worker."

"Well, why am I here? And please for the love of god, tell me you have pants on under those sheets."

"Do you want to find out?" He asked, his eyes glimmering with lust. Oh dear lord, didn't he know I was sixteen? Humans got arrested for this kind of crap.

"No," I said. "Why-am-I-here." I said, grinding out the words bitterly.

"I wanted to see how your assignment went, of course," Eros said. "I always was hoping to seduce you, but I have patience. I can wait for you to get over your crush on your little friend."

"I don't have a crush," I said, pouting like a little girl. Really, I definitely had a crush on Gabe. "But, really, that assignment was crap. How could infidelity be destined?"

"He'll be exposed, and his indiscretions will elect the next president, the other candidate. And then the right man will be in charge at the right time, and it gets very messy. All you need to know is that depraved, wicked night of hot sex with a married politician is a part of the bigger picture. It is the first domino in a line for fall, until the puzzle makes sense."

"So I just watch a married man ruin his life," I said.

"You don't have to watch, unless you're into that sort of thing," Eros smirked.

"You're disgusting," I spat out.

"And you're refreshing," Eros said. "It's been so long since I've met a real, bonafide virgin. Girls don't wait for gods or husbands these days." 

It bothered me how hard he was trying to be this creepy, over sexual jerk. Somehow, I thought maybe he was trying too hard. Whatever, if this was what he wanted the world to see, then the real Eros was probably even more messed up.

"Well, I'm happy as a virgin," I said. "And my first boyfriend won't be some creepy God who acts like a man-child and equates love to poison."

His eyes flashed with anger, and then a calm settled down over his face. Was he offended or jsut anooyed, i couldn't tell. When he smiled, it was as if Eros knew he would have more opportunities to manipulate me. Why he had to be so creepy with me didn't make sense. He was a god, and if he wasn't so perverse, I might find him attractive. He could easily find a woman, or a ward, as he put it. Objectively speaking, he was attractive. It was the lack of respect I'd been subjected to crawling all over my skin and bothering me that made want to gouge out his perfect bluw eyes.

"We'll see," Eros said, a grin tracing his lips. "This isn't over, but go and have fun in Paris."

He snapped his fingers and I was back on the bridge in Paris, and Gabe hadn't even returned yet. I sighed, feeling frustrated. Gabe hurried back, treats in hand.

"What's wrong," Gabe asked me. "You look angry."

"Eros," I said. "I was just there. He is such an ass, and apparently, he wants to deflower me."

"Well, I won't let that happen," Gabe said.

"He seemed pretty confident," I said. "I don't know if I can handle all of this."

"You can," Gabe said. "You're strong. And besides, I'll be here for you, every step of the way."

***

I was sitting beside Gabe at a café in Paris, trying to drown the feeling of Eros' eyes on me with coffee and warm bread.

"No one can see us," I said. "Unless we want them to. It's so weird."

"Well, I can see you," Gabe said. "You look lovely, by the way. But we should see if we can get you a better dress."

I had almost forgotten I was still in my god awful pink dress.

"I would die for a pair of jeans and a t shirt," I said.

"Well, Eros may be annoying, but you could turn it around. Bat your eyelashes and ask him for a change. Get something out of his creepy affections for you."

"I don't want to talk about him anymore," I said.

"So what would you like to discuss," Gabe said, smiling. His form had sparkling eyes and a heart melting smile, and it was a bit overwhelming.  

"How about you," I said. "What are you? Where have you been? What's your favorite color?"

"Well, my favorite color is grey."

"Grey is not a color, it's a shade."

"Fine, then I like a color, shaded to look like grey," Gabe replied. "It suits my temperament."

"It does," I chuckled. "And the other questions..."

"A guardian, just like you, I am a "sub-diety" who's been commissioned by a god."

"Which one do you work for?"

"Hera," he said. "She's the god of women and queen of the gods, married to Zeus. But I just protect random individuals. I used to be her personal servant, but she released me to earth again because she wanted me to experience the world or something like that."

"Again, does that mean you were human?"

"Yes," he said. "I was a soldier in the first crusade. When I died, I posed a problem for the universe. I was a good man, but I'd killed people in a holy war. I was also killed outside of the plan, another cosmic glitch. So yes, I was stuck in purgatory. I served Hera, and then she asked me if I wanted to be guardian. I agreed, and it was fulfilling. For me, the afterlife is much better than life ever was. My life was hard and bloody, and I never got to fall in love either."

"How old were you when you died?"

"It was centuries ago..."

"Just tell me, Gabe."

"I was seventeen," He said.

"Wow," I said. "Why aren't you in the great beyond? Surely, centuries of service has paid off your wrongdoings."

"I like being a guardian," He said. "I don't know what happens in the great beyond, no one does. It must be better than the underworld, but it's not without its risks."

"So, you're scared," I said. "I get that. I've been scared since I died, you are totally out of control."

"Besides," Gabe said. "I only get assigned to help good people. I've enjoyed protecting humanity, especially girls like you. You inspired me Macy. As I watched you stay strong for your parents during chemo and bad scans, I had faith again that there's good in the world."

"Thank you," I said. "Ok, last question, but I have to ask."

"Go ahead, Macy..."

"What do you really look like? Or what did you look like?"

"You don't want to know," he said. "I was not handsome. But before I died, I was attacked in battle. I was burned by a torch, and I have scars on the right side of my body. The gods left it as a mark on my soul, a reminder of the violence I'd committed. You be repulsed if you saw the real me. Half of my face is basically scar tissue. I think you prefer the pop star version you can see now."

"You don't know that," I said. "Maybe I'd accept you, possibly even like the real you."

"Maybe," Gabe said. "But I don't want to see you look at me like I'm a monster."

"I would never do that," I said. "Gabe, you're a kind soul."

"You would think that," Gabe said. "You're pretty optimistic for a dead girl."

"Not even death can change who you are," I said.

I looked down at my phone sighing. It was vibrating.

"Well, it looks like we have a job," I said. "Well, I do. Are you coming with me?"

Gabe stood up and grabbed my hand, making my fingers tingle.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," he said. "Let's go and shoot some love arrows."

I smiled, and took his hand in return. Maybe Eros was right, I did have a tiny crush. But maybe it was never too late for love, even if I was dead.

***

"Where are we?" Gabe asked as we walked down the corridor of the nursing home.

"We're at an retirement home in Nebraska," I said. "I guess I'm hooking up some old people."

"That's nice," Gabe said.

"You don't think it's creepy for me to hook up somebody's grandparents," I said.

"No," Gabe replied. "I've been around for a long time Macy. Your generation has this belief that love is for the young and beautiful, but that's not real love. Those superficial things just mask who you really are. In old age, there is no youthful lust or childish infatuation, it's just pure affection."

"You're kind of sweet for a dead guy," I said. Gabe blushed and I found the sight adorable, that he could be embarrassed.

"Can I ask you something," I said. "Have you been with me my whole life?"

"No," Gabe replied. "Just since you got your diagnosis."

"I see," I said. "That's cool, I guess. It's weird to think you've seen my life for the last two years."

"It's what I do," He said. "Don't fret over it. I never watched you when you needed privacy. I have boundaries, you know."

"Good," I said. "So, we need to get to the dining hall. The message said our couple will be dancing, and I can shoot them together. The man is bald with glasses, and the woman has a beehive."

Gabe and I walked into the dance hall, still invisible to the humans. Did I just refers to humans as a separate species, as if I'm not human? I guess three days as a dead girl changed you.

"There they are," I said, pointing.

"Go get your Katniss on," Gabe said.

"How do you know about The Hunger Games? You're what, a thousand years old?"

"I read over your shoulder," Gabe said. "And technically, I am seventeen. I've just been seventeen for a long, long time. I still feel seventeen though."

"Alright," I said. "Look, that's Miriam. She's so sad and lonely over there by herself."

"And there's her bald soul mate," Gabe said. "He looks lonely as well."

"This is more fun than hooking up sketchy politicians with secretaries" I said. "I think they'll be cute together."

I dipped my arrow and pointed at Miriam, releasing the bow. It passed through her heart and she shivered as if a chill hit her. I shifted my bow and aimed it at the man with the glasses, whose name was Richard. I released a second arrow, his eyes lighting up as it hit him. Richard turned and looked at Miriam, and then at the other old people dancing to old swing music. He straightened his tie and approached her, smiling sweetly. I saw them get up and dance, smiling. Suddenly, love was forming. I felt tears forming, and I shook my head. This job wasn't all bad.

"Let's dance," I heard Gabe whisper, and I nodded. No one could see us, but I wanted to dance with him. Gabe may be an old soul from another time, but he was my only companion now. He held out his arms, and I let our hands clasp. I didn't know how to dance, and swing steps were difficult apparently. I stepped on his feet, and I giggled nervously.

"Don't be embarrassed," Gabe said. "You're pretty good, actually."

"I never got to go to prom," I said. "But this is close enough."

"Macy," he said. "I wish you could have had a normal life. But the afterlife can be beautiful, I promise. Look, you did a good thing today."

"I did," I said. "I just wonder, what ever happened to Zed?"

"He's busy," Gabe said. 'Being a reaper is hard work."

"I can imagine," I said. "So, is there anything else you never got to do, before you died?"

"A lot of things, actually. I never got to fall in love, see the world. I never even had a first kiss."

"I could help with that," I said. "I never had a first kiss either."

"Macy, you don't have to do that. I know you think I'm creepy or whatever..."

"No," I said. "I don't. I think you're sweet and sort of adorable."

I blushed as i admitted it, but what did I have to loose? It's not like I coudl die of embarassment. 

"Macy," he said, his voice trailing off. His eyes were furrowed, as if he knew he should stop me for some reason, but didn't want to. 

"Don't speak," I said, leaning in.

Slowly, I reached up and let my lips brushed his. It was everything I'd imagined, except for the old people and the fact that we were both dead and invisible. But the sparks, the excitement, the affection, that was all perfect. I woudl have kept my lips locked on his forever if it hadn't been for the soudn of another soul, drifting by. 

"Look at this," A familiar voice said. "Love in the afterlife, huh? I never would have guessed."

I pulled away and looked over, seeing Zed smiling at us.

"Zed, what are you doing here?" I said, smiling.

"I'm at work," He replied. "But just relax, ok. Enjoy your dance."

I nodded, my head pressed against Gabe's chest. He let his fingers brush my hair, and I thought about how strangely wonderful things were for the moment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242K 10.2K 49
#1 in Mythology 9/9/2021. #1 in Fantasy-Romance 9/15/2021. A young princess of Atlantis is born under the cloud of a curse. Two curses, in fact. She...
10.5M 137K 33
Greek Mythology. First installment in the Cupid series. Amore, Liebe, Amour, No matter what language you say it in it means love and it's Peyton's j...
60.8M 2.9M 83
[IN BOOKSTORES AND KINDLE UNLIMITED NOW!] What if you were matched with the original love god? --- When Lila goes to the Cupids Matchmaking Service i...
23.4K 2K 36
When Rose Michaels was turned into a vampire, her life went to hell. She did not handle the transition to an immortal being well, and ended up becom...