Road to Nowhere

By SashaK1

Eva Haney is a world-famous photographer and writer about to have a documentary made about her life. Though E... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine

Chapter Seven

12 0 0
By SashaK1

(August, 1964. New York, NY.)

"What are you doing here?" I shrieked. 

"Ringo told me he saw you head up here, I came to check on you," Danny said. He had been sleeping on the couch. 

"Oh," I said, folding my arms.

There was an awkward silence.

"Well, we could have breakfast, I guess," I began, clearing my throat. Since we were in a luxury suite, there was plenty of food. 

"How's toast and orange juice?"

"Great," Danny said, smiling. 

Once the toast was ready, we sat down on the couch to eat.

After a few moments of eating in silence, Danny cleared his throat and began.

"Did you have fun last night?" 

"I did," I laughed, "if you couldn't tell." Danny laughed, looking down at his plate.

"Just checking."

"Where did you run off to?"

"Oh," Danny said, clearing his throat for what must've been the hundredth time, "I got a call earlier that day. Carrie- my old girlfriend- was in town, I guess she wanted to talk things over."

"And?"

"I said no," Danny replied, shrugging. "I'm over it."

"Good for you," I said, trying to smile encouragingly.

"The boys seem nice," Danny continued. He was acting calm, which was surprising since our last meeting. 

"Yeah, they were asking where you went. They wanted to hang with you."

"The Beatles want to hang with me? I'm flattered," Danny grinned. He paused again, fiddling with the remaining bits of toast. "Eva, I just...I wanted to apologize for when we last saw each other. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I, uh, just felt I had to tell you how I felt."

I just nodded in reply, unsure of what to say.

"If you ever need me," Danny continued, "I'll be there."

This was such a serious conversation for Danny; he was acting so different than he did when we were younger. He was actually seeming mature, and that idea- that he'd grown up a little- made me smile.

"Thanks, Danny," I said. "I didn't mean to hurt you, I just- I was caught unaware. I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

The phone rang in the suite, and since it was closer to Danny, he picked it up. 

"It's for you," he said, handing me the phone.

"Hello?"

"HANEY!" 

"Hi, John," I laughed. I could hear Paul, Ringo, and George in the background talking, and then Brian telling them to settle down.

"So, I heard a young lad answer the phone," John continued. I could just picture him smirking.

"It's just Danny," I said, "and nothing happened. Unless you want to hear about me getting sick?" I smiled.

"No, no, that's quite alright, m'dear," John replied in a posh accent. "Jest checking up on ya. We're going back to a few press releases today, but we wondered if you wanted to come to dinner later? Take some photos?"

"Sure," I said. I proceeded to write down the time and place where we were meeting for dinner. And then I stopped writing. I saw Danny cleaning up the dishes. 

"Actually, I'm gonna pass," I said to John. "I'd like to spend a little more time with Marian and Danny."

"Oh," John said. "Well, I guess we'll catch you tomorrow?"

"Sure."

"Alright. Ta, then."

(June, 1997. Paris.)

"Danny and I reconciled not long after the movie premiere," I said. "Then things seemed to fly by, one minute we were just meeting for coffee, then it was regularly, then it was dinner and a movie...then we realized we'd grown together again."

Wes handed me a newspaper clipping from December of 1964. The heading read 'Record Mogul and Vogue Sensation- A Perfect Match?'. The article went on to discuss Danny and I individually, and then give all the 'juicy details' of our new relationship. Wes directed my attention to a smaller photo inserted in the article of George, Paul, and I walking the streets of London. The caption read, "Is Haney too close with the Fab Four?"

"Rumors, remember?" he said.

"That was always the issue with Danny and I," I said. "After a while, the rumors of me and one of the boys got to him. That was part of the reason we broke it off."

"And the other part?"

"I think I'm the only one that knows the other part," I laughed. Wes adjusted in his seat- he thought he'd really hit on something here. And I knew I made a mistake in adding that last bit in. 

"Would you care to elaborate?"

I guess I had to, at this point.

(February, 1965. New York, N.Y.)

"Danny, I'm back!" I called, locking the apartment door behind me. Our relationship had been taken to new heights since the Beatles movie premiere. It was like we were friends again, but obviously more. 

In summary, I felt like I was truly happy. Danny had turned out to be perfect for me; his life wasn't as spotlighted as the Beatles were. Since we'd known each other for so long, our relationship seemed natural and easy. We didn't have any problems. 

"Cassandra called," Danny said, appearing out of his office. "She wants you to cover the Beatles new movie in Nassau."

"Oh, Nassau! Never been there," I said, smiling as I put away our groceries. Danny lit a cigarette and sat at the kitchen counter. 

"Hmm. She said you'll be gone for a while, maybe two months."

I turned around to face him.

"Is everything okay?"

"Well," Danny sighed, "it's two months. It could be worse, but I want you here."

I shuffled my feet. 

"Danny, it's my job. I have to go, I can't just refuse."

"Yeah." He looked down at his feet.

I walked over to him and hugged him, my head resting on his shoulder. 

"What're you worried about?" 

Danny sighed and then pulled away.

"You don't get it," he said, lighting a cigarette. "Off you go to the Bahamas with four very popular young guys- from England, nonetheless- where you'll be the only girl. 'Covering their story'. 'Covering' more than that," Danny muttered. 

"Are you kidding me?" 

"Completely serious."

"You know it's not like that," I said. "All the stuff in the tabloids- that's not real, it just gets readers. I swear to God, nothing has ever happened between me and any of the boys. John's married, Ringo's involved, George and Paul have girlfriends. The time for all that has passed."

"But what about that photo a few years ago? You and Paul?"

"We're friends," I repeated for what felt like the hundredth time. "Nothing else."

"I'll just miss you," Danny said, coming back over for a hug. 

"I'll miss you, too."

"Just promise to call every once and while when you get a break from all the fun."

"I promise."

It wasn't that difficult leaving Danny, I hate to admit it. I'd been wondering for a while how well things had been really going. Or at least, I'd thought I was happy until Danny had acted all strange mentioning the trip to Nassau. We only ever did things that we'd always done as friends, with the addition of kissing and the like. We never did anything sweet together. We never danced, even in a silly way. Danny never bought flowers, or any of the other corny things. I didn't know if this trip with the Beatles would help or hurt the situation. Maybe we just needed some space? At least I could try convincing myself of that...

Next thing I knew, I was landing in Nassau with the boys. They'd been high the entire flight there, whereas I preferred to fly sober. When we arrived at our hotel, Brian ushered us all inside quickly- me first, since he didn't want all the girls going after me. 

Finally, I had my own room on one of these outings. Usually, I would just stay in the suite with the boys; I'd have my own bedroom, but it would be connected to everything the boys had. Not this time. Granted, I was right across the hall from the boys. But, still- a suite just to myself! I could go to bed without having to ask John to quiet down a thousand times. I could go to bed without worrying about them running in and jumping on my bed in the morning and making jokes about being in my bed with me. 

Thank God. 

I called Danny as soon as I got settled. He didn't have much to say, but he seemed relieved to hear that I had my own space. We didn't talk long; he was busy with some work. After watching television in my suite for an hour or so, I heard a knock on the door.

"I can't stand it," George said after I opened the door, "John's watching a marathon of some telly show."

"One of those stupid American shows, I bet," I said, trying to mimic George's accent. He smiled and rolled his eyes. 

"Actually, it was quite good until I realized John was just going to keep on watching."

"Make yourself at home," I laughed. I turned around to find George sprawled out on the sofa, his skinny frame somehow taking up most of the space. I sat down in the chair beside the sofa, turned to face George.

"Haven't talked just the two of us in a while," I said after a pause. George smiled slightly.

"Yer right," he said, nodding. "What's new with Miss Eva Haney?"

"Nothing," I said. George rolled his eyes.

"What about dear Dan? How's he 'olding up?"

"He's alright," I said, thinking about my short phone call with Danny earlier. "I don't think he likes it that I'm here with your four."

"Sounds like somebody's jealous."

"Sounds like you're right."

Maybe George could tell I felt uncomfortable, because he got up and walked over to the tiny radio I'd brought with me. 'You Send Me' by Sam Cooke came pouring out of the speakers. George returned to his seat on the sofa. 

"Nice song," I said, my foot tapping along softly.

"Hmm."

George closed his eyes and tapped his foot along. I stared for a moment, and then looked around the room. It was nice just to sit and be peaceful with George; you never really had that as often with the other boys. Well, you could. Ringo was always a pal to talk to and joke with. John was always a little more snarky, so maybe someone you'd be goofing around with. Paul was sort of a mix.

Everyone said that Paul was the cute one out of the Beatles, but none of them were unattractive. I thought nobody gave George enough credit. He was cute, just in a different way from Paul. He always seemed kind or gentle, though he would show his snarky side occasionally. Paul was more...outgoing, same with the others.

"What're you thinking about?" George asked suddenly, startling me.

"Oh," I said, smiling, trying not to let on that I was thinking about him. Not in a romantic way! "Nothing."

"Aha," George smiled, "that's not nothing. Tell!"

"I refuse!" I said in a silly voice. 

"I bet it was dear old Dan," George teased, causing me to blush. "Oh, so it was?"

"No, it wasn't," I said.

"Oh, so a new lad, then? Getting a little adventurous, are we?" George sat up.

"No!"

"That's what they all say!"

"Alright, changing the subject!" I said, standing up and awkwardly cleaning the already clean room.

"You're just stalling," George smirked. 

"Well why don't we talk about you, then? See how you like it?" I laughed. My fast must've been beet red. "How's Pattie?"

"Things are alright," George said, ever the understater. He shifted in his seat at the mention of his girlfriend. 

"Oh?"

"Well, see," George began, "things have been going great. I just wonder sometimes if she really wants me." He sighed, as if he had been waiting to toss this weight off his chest for a while.

"Why'd you think that?"

"Dunno," he shrugged. "Sometimes when she's around other guys or my mates, she sort of flirts with 'em. At least that's what I see. Not sure if that's real."

"Oh, well, I'm sorry if it is, George," I said. "But are you happy with her?"

He paused, sat up, and twiddled his thumbs.

"See, I thought I was."

"But?" 

"Sometimes when I'm not with her, I'm happier, you know? I like having my own space. And when I'm off with the lads, well, everything's different. And you're here, too."

He looked me in the eyes when he added that last part. I instantly looked away.

"I'm just sort of nervous," George continued, "since she is the way she is. I've wondered if maybe one day she'll leave for someone better. How long is this going to last, y'know?"

"I'm sorry, George," I repeated. "I wish there was something I could say to fix things. But I've been wondering similar things about Danny. Not that he's flirting with other girls, but just that I wonder how long it's going to go on. Am I really happy with him? Could I happier with him in my life but not romantically, you know what I mean?"

"Course I do."

"I really am sorry, though, you should've talked to me sooner." I sighed.

George shrugged. He turned when the song on the radio changed; this time, the song was 'Unchained Melody' by the Righteous Brothers. 

"Well, you always go dancing with Paul," George smiled after a moment. "Dance one with me?"

"If you insist. Can't let Paul know, he might lose it," I joked.

George laughed and we both stood up to dance. We stood right there in front of the radio, swaying back and forth. Very calm and relaxed, just like our personalities (I like to think). His hands were wrapped around my waist, and my hands were on his shoulders. 

We didn't say anything as we danced, just like how Paul and I didn't talk. Soon, I become more aware of George's hands on my waist, and how nice it felt. And then my head was on his shoulder...My hands were behind his neck...

Danny never danced like this with me. In fact, we never danced at all...

"Lonely rivers flow to the sea, to the sea... to the open arms of the sea..." the song played in the background. 

And then I realized I liked my arms around George...we'd always been good friends, but this closeness was a nice change... What was I doing? What about Danny...

"Whoa, my love, my darling, I've hungered for your touch a long lonely time..." the song went on.

"Things haven't been the greatest with me and Danny," I blurted out, looking at George.

"I know," George said, his face close.

And then, in an instant, we stopped swaying and kissed, just as the song switched over to something I didn't hear...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7K 558 29
Claire has been friends with the Beatles since she could remember.Her and Paul have always been the closest ,they always tell each other everything...
145K 4.3K 45
john,paul,George and Richard(aka ringo).the famous Beatles,4 great bestfriends creating out standing music,steeling the hearts of young girls.but whe...
21.6K 770 27
A young actress is handpicked to be in the famous movie, not expecting anything more than a boost in her acting career she gains the attention of a...
432 26 10
June Anderson doesn't have many friends in her life, except for Paul McCartney. After they fall in love, they promise to always be true to one anothe...