On The Couch [Editing]

By ACNichols

“Don’t say it, don’t ask it, I wouldn’t be able to say no,” he whispered, his voice full of desire. “I can’t…... More

Dedication Page
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Halloween Party Costume Poll!!! Not a Chapter!!
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Sequel's Link!
If you want to help...

Chapter Twenty-Four

204K 3.7K 376
By ACNichols

Quick Note: I will REALLY want to know what you all think after this chapter. By the way!! I have my interview news if you haven't seen the links on my profile page I will post them here. It is my first interview as an author ever!! I am super excited about it and it has only gone live for a day or two. My interviewer is so awesome and this chapter is dedicated to him! I could not be more grateful for him and will always be a special person in my life! Though we just met a few weeks ago hahaha! Check out his Robin Hood book to its a very interesting twist to the mythology. =) You can also just click the external link on the right hand side under the cover to open a new window with the link to my first interview!

Interview Link: http://kingsleythebard.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/my-art-and-self-publishing-adventurechapter-1-i-interview-amanda-nicholas-author-of-on-the-couch/

*

*

You know, I could really smack Stacy for what she did last week, but I am grateful for it.

I shook my head smiling as I worked on my computer. It has improved my days, made them go by faster.

It must have looked so awkward. We were working in my office last week and the little devil that Stacy is somehow lifted my phone from right under my nose – the thief.

I didn’t even notice until I heard my own text message alert and couldn’t find it. By the time I got it out of her hands she had done the deed.

Stacy had been texting Evan as me; essentially giving me his number and he mine. I didn’t want him to know that Stacy had played a game on both of us while I was still working with her so the message I sent him that was actually me felt awfully awkward. There was no way after that I could call him while she still was around in my office to explain.

I phoned him later after work letting him know the number really is me. I explained to him what Stacy had done. Evan was amused by it. Certainly was an interesting way to exchange phone numbers. I hadn’t asked before or looked for his, though I could have, because I wasn’t sure where any of this was going. I still wasn’t sure.

But it has been fun texting back and forth this week. The flirtatious texts made the monotonous office work more entertaining. The beta testers had pieced together all that we had worked on and I would be done with Cooper and Terry’s accounts next week. Week three of this long wait for Evan and me to move on to whatever comes next.

So far this week I’ve only seen him in therapy. I finally began talking seriously in therapy about my fears with Jerry’s release. Evan took it seriously and we kept the flirting to a minimum. It was pleasant to see his actual concern as well as his clinical analysis.

I felt better about being able to deal with Jerry’s upcoming release from jail and also knew that somehow, someway, Evan would be there for me and keep me safe. I am beginning to feel at peace with everything that has happened and not so worked up and tense about my ex.

The peace of mind has made other things easier to figure out, like proof about Suzanne deleting my work on my computer. I found out that the security team had been recording the surveillance cameras even during the party. Stacy actually is doing me that favor since she knows one of the security people better than I do. Maybe they will find something, though I’m not sure how if there were any angles on my office.

Of course it might show Eddie and Evan both coming into my office as well, which worried me, but that wouldn’t look like much while I was in there, I suppose. I wish I would have thought of that earlier before I gave Stacy the go ahead to find anything she could, but when I mentioned to her about how I need proof she thought of the idea.

It was part of her job to take care of the security and confidentiality of our client’s information. Ironic that she went around giving Evan my number and vice versa.

“Hey blue eyes they found something,” Stacy poked her head in my office near the end of the day. I am surprised since they had only been trying to find anything from the Halloween party for two days and not on company time.

“Okay,” I grabbed my office keys, saved what I had been working on and locked my door behind me.

I felt nervous to be looking over the security feed. Like I was some shit disturber in the office, even though I hadn’t started a thing between Suzanne and I.

Stacy pulled up a chair for me in the security room which is filled with screens and walls of tape recording, panels with all kinds of dials and buttons. Frank the security man that Stacy knew looked to be in his late forties, but is fit and had graying hair as he explained to us what he is doing.

“I found the feed that looks down each aisle of offices and this one is where yours is located. I did see some people coming and going,” Frank said to me and I nodded, he wouldn’t have a clue who these people were.

Still, it made me nervous that Frank and Stacy would see this and possibly start asking questions about why my boss and a client came into my office. Stacy’s eyes blazed with excitement next to me which is not helping.

Frank turned when I nodded and began the play back.

On the screen which is in black and white there was no one at first. All I could see is the rhythmic flashing of lights off screen from the party. Then a figure appeared unlocking the door that was unmistakably me.

“There I am,” I said.

“What were you going into your office for?” Stacy asked innocently. I hoped this wouldn’t turn out to be my fault for being careless. We were told to keep the offices locked up, but I didn’t see any harm in going into my own.

“I needed a break from the party,” I said the simplest answer I could give her and she nodded in acceptance. I realized this is going to look very awkward.

A few minutes later at the top of the screen I saw what looked like a man and woman talking at the end of the hall. I could only see the woman’s legs, but the short skirt and suit on the man gave away who they were. Eddie raised his hands in frustration at something the woman was saying and walked away – directly towards my office.

“That certainly is interesting,” Stacy chuckled.

“Err – Eddie had come in to talk to me about how the party was going,” I said absently feeling like this was revealing more than what I was saying.

I rubbed my hands together nervously knowing who would be coming next and nervous about Stacy’s reaction. I glanced at Frank the security guy; he wasn’t even paying attention just doing a crossword puzzle as we watched.

Like clockwork a few minutes later Evan showed up on the screen standing just outside my office before entering. Stacy looked at me raising an eyebrow, but didn’t say anything. I reached in my pocket for my breath mints to give my mouth something to do. This is becoming more nerve wracking than I thought it would be.

I cringed when Eddie left my office stumbling out. It looked exactly like it was, like he had been thrown out of my office.

“Okay you have got to explain to me later what really happened,” Stacy said quietly next to me.

Now that that part is over, I ignored her statement and paid close attention. A few minutes later Evan and I left my office. I watched as I shut the door, but didn’t lock it. I could tell. Soon as Evan and I were out of the camera’s view that same woman who had been talking to Eddie with the short skirt showed up testing my door.

“Pause it,” I blurted out.

Frank pushed a button nonchalantly on the console without looking and I stood up to scrutinize the screen for a closer look. I already knew it was Suzanne, but the confirmation of it was something else entirely.

My jaw tightened and I grinded my teeth on the mint feeling the anger and joy of having proof surge through me.

“Play again.”

I watched as she entered my office. A moment later, Evan came back into view and checked the door, when he couldn’t open it he must have assumed it was locked and disappeared again. Suzanne had locked it from the inside in case I double checked. How could I be so careless? My heart fluttered a little at the memory of our first kiss.

“That’s it,” Frank says. “About ten minutes later that lady leaves making sure the office is locked,” he added.

“Thank you Frank,” I said sincerely.

“No problem.”

“Now remember our deal Frank,” Stacy said as I got up ready to leave.

“Of course sweet heart,” he smiled and they shook on it. Stacy left with me.

“What deal?” I asked curiously.

“Oh I promised to get him concert tickets to a band he loves through Kenneth long as he kept quiet about showing us the feed no biggie.”

I looked at her incredulously. “You are something else,” I said shaking my head smiling at her.

“At least you know now that it was Suzanne and don’t think I forgot about what else I saw, I want answers.”

“I’ll tell you just can’t right now,” I said.

“I understand,” we arrived at my office. “What are you going to do?” Stacy asked.

“I don’t know yet…is Frank going to give you that tape?”

“He’s going to make a copy of what we saw,” she said.

I sighed. “I’m not sure yet then, a little in shock you know, but it’s good to know for a fact it is her,” and it was without a doubt.

Of course Stacy didn’t know what all had happened so I couldn’t just go: ‘Hey I got this copy of Suzanne entering my office fire her’ not with the fact she had seen me leave with Evan a client who also happens to be my therapist for the next two and a half weeks. Not to mention the true reason why Eddie and Evan were both in my office…too much is at stake and incriminating to everyone.

“Okay well my lips are sealed but you know that,” Stacy smiled sweetly at me. A wave of gratefulness flowed through me for my friend.

“I don’t know what I’d do without you. Thank you Stacy,” I said throwing my arms around her in a hug.

She giggled hugging me back. “I haven’t seen you so happy like this and I mean really happy in a long time so I don’t want anything to ruin it for you,” I blinked at her surprised by her observant statement. She winks at me from my blank stare and leaves my office.

I smile sitting back down at my desk. So she knew something is going on. I wondered how obvious my improved moods and demeanor were to anyone else that might be paying attention. Trying to be discreet has proved to be more difficult than anticipated. I hoped to god as fear sunk in that no one had put the pieces of this puzzle together just yet.

Eddie might be suspicious and Suzanne, but I doubted they would say anything considering the situation we were all in together with this whole Halloween party debacle. Eddie’s attempted kiss assault, Suzanne seeing me leave with Evan before she snuck into my office to delete my work, which oddly I feel guilty for. Only for not being more careful and locking my office up properly.

If I had done that, she never would have gotten in there in the first place. Stacy, if she knew about all this, would tell me you were in shock from what that douche bag boss of ours did. How did Suzanne know my old password in the first place? She would have needed it to even login to my computer.

So many easy questions and hard to find the difficult answers. Since when had my life begun to fill with secrets? I felt like I am living in a bad Danielle Steele novel, or a soap opera. I hated soap operas.

I tried to put it all out of my mind and focus on my work. I closed all the blinds to my office so I wouldn’t be distracted by the rest of the working people. There was just too much that is beginning to put stress on me as I near the end of my therapy program. I thought I would be stress free by the time it finished. It only seemed like I had more than when I started.

Being almost finished with Cooper and Terry’s accounts, I lost track of the time and figured I might have one of them completed by tonight, so I didn’t want to stop working. I could schedule a meeting for the final reveal and the website to go live by tomorrow if I finished.

That at least is making me excited. I could check off one of my accounts, which meant that much closer to taking a vacation. With Thanksgiving and Christmas starting to show up, I knew my personal life would begin to fill up with family obligations too. Everything always happens around the holidays it seems.

My phone alert went off.

Good evening Sonja, I hope your work day was not eventful

I smiled at the text from Evan.

Still at work, so far so good

I texted back.

Oh you do realize the time?

My brow furrowed and I looked at the clock on my phone. My eyes widened realizing it was past eight pm. I had to get home to feed Boxer and let him out.

Haha no I didn’t, I’m almost finished with one of these websites

I texted and began to shut down and save my work on my computer.

Oh well I have another agenda for texting you so late

He texted that with a winking face. Evan, you can text me any time you want, I thought.

Oh?

I replied.

Kyle wants to have a business dinner with everyone to discuss things about our plans. You, Stacy, Stacy’s boyfriend, Kyle, Mike our contractor that you met and me at his house

Evan sent back.

Really? When?

That is interesting.

Next week Friday before our last therapy session

My heart skipped a beat. I had already done this week’s therapy, next Tuesday would be the third and the following week my final session.

Sounds good, I’ll ask Stacy and Kenneth though I don’t think they will mind

Good, I look forward to your company…always

My computer screen turned off signaling I could leave as I smiled at my phone. Well at least that was some good news. I chose not to tell Evan what I had found out today, didn’t want to ruin anyone’s good moods or make him worry more than we already have been over this whole…experience.

As do I, okay I’m leaving work now, have a good night

I’ll try without you

He texted back immediately. Funny he knows where I live; he could easily come spend the night with me. I savored the fantasy. Okay, time to get home Sonja, I told myself. I couldn’t be driving thinking of all that.

Gathering my things I stepped out and triple checked that my office is locked. Making my way through the office I glanced around, yes the office is completely empty…

Except for the light on in Eddie’s office.

That is strange; usually he is the first person to leave before anyone else. I’ve only seen him here this late when he is working on a big client account that is stressing him out. I stopped in the middle of my walk.

After all that has happened and how he has been a good friend to me through most of my troubles, the least I could do is offer my support. He has been very helpful in fixing what happened to my work. I wondered how he didn’t notice that I was still here too.

Turning towards his door, I walked over. Knowing this probably is not the best idea after he attacked me in a drunken state, I justified it by he wasn’t drinking right now. I decided not to knock hoping the door wasn’t locked.

I opened the door and stepped inside.

“Burning the midnight oil Eddie…” I said smiling trying to keep it friendly.

I looked up after shutting the door and the smile slowly faded from my face.

I really should have knocked.

My feet couldn’t propel me further. I tried to pinch myself hoping this was all a dream…or a nightmare. Seeing Eddie in a way I never wanted to see him, but I am sure he wanted me to see him in this light...just not quite this way with me being on the other side.

“Shit, Sonja,” he grunted standing up from his precarious position…reaching for his pants. Then I saw who was underneath him.

My heart broke into a million pieces. Our friendship is definitely over.

I averted my gaze. All the small hints came rushing into the front of my mind…

Brandy saying Eddie had turned her down…

The animosity between Suzanne and me that Eddie preferred me over her…

The way Eddie had gloated at her while dancing with me…

The odd conversation on the security camera feed…

Eddie has been sleeping with Suzanne this whole time.

I felt completely betrayed, used. Even worse I couldn’t be sure if he was in or not on Suzanne’s little deed of ruining my work. My hands shook. Suzanne for once looked completely surprised, embarrassed and afraid as I glared at her while she tried to cover up her flopping tits.

I looked over at Eddie who was dressing as quickly as he could to cover up this sin, this…this horrible revelation to me. He made a move to come over to me, embarrassment that he got caught written all over his face, I snapped.

“Don’t, don’t you dare,” I blurted out angrily.

I slammed the door and ran for the lobby.

“Sonja wait,” I heard a moment after I was halfway through the building and his footsteps after me.

Tears fell down my face and I could barely breathe.

“Sonja,” I had made it out to the parking lot, but being as tall as Eddie was he reached me with his long stride and grabbed the elbow of my arm.

I whirled around slapping him in the face as hard as I could.

“Don’t you dare touch me,” I screamed.

“Please Sonja listen to me.”

“I have nothing to say to you, I thought you were my friend, were you in on it with her, sleeping with her to get me and Suzanne to play nice…” I couldn’t think straight.

“What?” He looked genuinely confused, but I didn’t believe him.

My hands shook as I fiddled with my keys to unlock my car door. My vision blurred with my rage and tears. Eddie tried to hold my door open.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about Sonja please let me explain.”

“No,” I shouted back and climbed into my car slamming the door shut not caring that he almost got his hand caught. I started my car and screeched out of my parking space making Eddie jump out of the way so he wouldn’t get hit.

“Sonja,” he yelled pleading again chasing after my car.

I only got two miles down the street before I pulled over knowing I couldn’t drive in the state I was in. How could he? Eddie is supposed to be my friend.

I didn’t know who to call. Stacy I knew would come get me with Kenneth so someone could drive my car back. I would have to explain to her either way what was going on.

I wanted to call Evan. He was my first choice, but he has saved me plenty already. Plus I didn’t know what he would do if he knew Eddie is the cause of my distress…again.

I leaned my head against the steering wheel and let the silent tears fall trying to catch my breath from the rage that ran through me.

I didn’t want Evan to see me like this. In that moment, I realized just how much I wanted him. How much I needed him. How much he meant to me.

I realized he is the first thing I thought of in the morning and the last thing on my mind at night. I desperately wanted his comfort right now, but thought I might do something neither of us is ready for yet, so I called Stacy instead.

I took comfort regardless, as I waited for her arrival in the fact that I knew I was falling for Evan now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

204K 8.5K 30
A jilted, curvy accountant joins a gym on a journey of self-love. The last thing she plans for is to fall for her grumpy trainer. ***** Who needs me...
1.4K 34 48
Mia Rives 18 year old Mia lost her parents in a tragic accident when she was 15. She found herself in an abusive relationship, shes lost in her own h...
340K 3.2K 19
"We can't... you're my client." He chuckled, "so? There's no law against fucking my lawyer." He cupped my chin forcing me to look at him. "Stop makin...
5.9K 667 23
Mallory finds herself brokenhearted when she loses the love of her life in a tragic accident. She's left to pick up the pieces of her life with the h...