Royalty in Death - an In Deat...

By Chimpukampu

Somebody murdered and threatened a prominent figure that could cause a great rift between countries, and it's... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue
Author's Notes

Chapter 12

1K 28 2
By Chimpukampu

The consulate party was organized as a welcome party for the Harminian royalty, and at the same time a gesture of having the representative of that small country to accept the culture of the foreign land. But few days ago, the Harmin consul has been brutally killed and the soon-to-be princess bride – though unbeknownst to majority – was facing a murderous threat.

Anyone would assume that the party would be a commemoration to the late consul, even Eve, but when she and Roarke arrived at the extravagant event filled with media, politicians and famous personalities, she swallowed her words.

Cameras flashed as the two went outside their limo. The reporters flew questions about her status and Roarke's, about her case, but it was not given importance.

"Gossip reporters.", she muttered that only Roarke could hear.

Roarke ribboned his other hand to Eve's waist, enough to restrain her if she ever snapped out and attacked one of the reporters.

As they entered the venue, Afef greeted them. He was wearing a dark tux with his silver hair swift neatly at his back, which only highlighted his uncanny resemblance to Summerset.

"Greetings, Lieutenant.", he bowed to her, and then gave a stoic look to Roarke. "As well to you."

"Greetings to you, Afef.", Roarke replied.

It estranged Roarke how this butler always gave him a disdained look ever since they first met. He was about to say something about it but was interrupted by Mr. Peters. The acting consul secretary went to them for a short greeting, and then excused himself to entertain the other guests.

"Did he buy it?", Eve asked Afef who had brought flutes of champagne. It was obvious to them that she's referring to Levinski.

"Yes."

"Did he say something about it?"

"Not really. He accepted that the royal Highness was distraught about what happened and allowed her to grieve just for tonight."

Eve roamed her eyes around, saw the enjoyment of each guests as they danced and socialized while being surrounded by lavish banquets. She also spotted a few glance from representatives of Harminian households, and some from the curious visitors.

"In this party, we have three groups of people. One who believed she's well, one who was fed up that she's been abducted, and one who knew the truth."

"And the latter group is where our perpetrator belongs.", Roarke commented.

Afef excused and distanced himself to them, trying to avoid of any possible doubts that may occur to the guests.

Socialization was never been Eve's forte, so it's a good thing that Roarke played that part for her. She had developed an ability to act as if she's interested in listening to people talked about money, hobbies and drama, though deep inside she wanted to rip off their faces.

"You're about to kill somebody with that look, Lieutenant.", Roarke teased as he brushed his lips to Eve's earlobe.

"By God, why can't they stop asking me about Leonardo? That man has its own skin, and I'm not his keeper!", she groaned. "And why would they even talk about their goddamn poodles?"

"Those were normal conversations, darling, same as yours how you talked about murders for a daily basis."

It baffled him how her pouted reaction turned him on that he couldn't resist nibbling her lips in the public.

"Ehem."

A short but loud cough made the two looked at the person in front of them. It was Levinski.

"Long time no see, Roarke.", he said.

"Long time no see, Levinski."

Eve could see the smirk formed in each man's faces, telling her that these two never denied their resentments with each other.

"The last time we met you're a single lad, now look at you! Tied up with a cop? Quite a joke really."

"And you're still the same as usual, the joker of mankind."

Levinski's profile was in subtle description to his actual personality. His involuntary movements, body gestures and piercing dark eyes were giving an insulting aura to anybody, that even Eve finds it irritating.

Levinski went near to Eve and said, "So this is the New York's top homicide, the legendary Lieutenant Eve Dallas. Also known as the tough bitch cop."

"I have no idea that you're up-to-date to gossips, even to the streets Levinski."

"Of course, especially if it clashed on my interests. What do you think so, Roarke?"

Roarke only grinned but didn't answer. He's more cautious not to revoke Eve to punch Levinski.

"Getting back to you Lieutenant, you send a pair of incompetent hooligans to interview me about the late Mr. Amir. That's so rude."

"We're only covering the bases here, and correction, you're ruder than them, tailing us by your incompetent men. That could earn you a jail, Levinski."

His left brow rose up, "And why you didn't book me then? Is it because you can't?"

By God, she would enjoy imposing brutality to him.

"I can, but I don't want to use our government's taxes to see you in jail in mere months. I want it to be years...more, if it's a lifetime."

They could see the blood drained on his face.

"Now Levinski, tell me where were you when Mr. Amir was murdered. Your soon-to-be wife was staying at the same building, distraught, and probably witnessed the murder itself, and you're still engaging a social party instead of a commemoration?"

He smirked. "You're not on the right place to conduct an interview, Lieutenant, and if those two incompetent hooligans did not relay the message to you, my lawyers will coordinate to NYPSD and set an appointment at both of our conveniences."

Cocky diplomat bastard, Eve thought.

"Oh, and before I excuse myself to attend the other guests.", Levinski added, "I could see why you married Roarke now. It's not all about money, but love. Lucky man to have this alluring and sexy woman to be smitten with him."

He only spared a glance on Roarke.

"But have you asked him Lieutenant, heart to heart, why he married you? He's a rogue billionaire with dirty past, and for him to emerge clean to the public is to have somebody to change his image. And yeah, why not marrying it for more convenience? He had played a lot of women in his lifetime, so maintaining you as his piece would be easy. I hope you have known him better than I do."

"I've known him much better than you do, Levinski, but thanks for that insight. I'll keep that in mind."

Believing he had the upper hand, he excused himself and went to the other circle.

"Cocky bastard, he only gave me another sliver to convict him for murder.", Eve said as she observed him flirting with a lady. "I'm done with my assignment, and I think Mira will have a solid profile once I send her my personal observations tonight. Let's go Roarke."

He did not answer, but Eve knew he's soothing with anger.

"Never mind that ugly midget, Roarke. He wants to get our nerves."

"Hmm."

Roarke held her hand and linked their fingers, swayed it as they exited the building. Without glancing she knew he's pissed, but she looked at him anyway, and saw some brooding malice in his blue eyes.

She gulped loudly. "Roarke...you're not planning anything bad tonight, right?"

He grinned.

"Why shouldn't I, darling? Somebody called my wife a bitch, and I didn't do anything."

"I don't like that tone you use to call me wife. Dammit, what did you do back there?"

He chuckled and pecked a kiss on her lips. "Why don't we get wasted tonight, drunk ourselves, and have monkey sex until morning?"

"You looked scary Roarke, very, very scary!"

They have reached the exit door and went outside. Eve heard a snap sound and when she looked back, she saw a flaming torch in the ballroom – only to found out it was Levinski with a fire in his head.

His loud shriek bellowed around the dome, which caught a lot of attention.

"Fire! Help me!"

All the guests spread out, panicked, and with unfortunate accident, one of them spilled a glass of brandy on Levinski's hair which only increased its combustion.

As if it's a cue, the smoke detector activated the sprinklers in the hall, and made all the attendees soaking wet.

With exception to those who were already outside of course.

"You ruined the party, Roarke.", Eve commented as they entered the limo.

"Darling, if you know how to create a good one, then you must know how to destroy one."  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

259 31 17
an ordinary secretary ,Jenny,gets involved with the FBI to help them capture a gang dealing with jewelery robbery . During the mission , she unexpect...
1.6K 82 23
My hands were trembeling around my gun as I slowly stepped closer to the sound of screams. It was my third day as a police officer, and also the firs...
79 0 29
It's been a few months past in New York City , Then an old friend of Alex's friend comes back into her life but one she loves to keep secret about he...
114 7 10
𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐢𝐭𝐲, 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐛𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐥 𝐦𝐚𝐟𝐢𝐚𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐧�...