Fight

By CharlotteMichelle96

Beautiful cover created by My_Sweet_Paradise She has Leukemia. He is an underground fighter. He is fighting t... More

Prologue
Chapter One- Small World
Chapter Two- Reunion
Chapter Three- Hershey
Chapter Four- Wasted!
Chapter Five- Kitchen
Chapter Six- Was It Worth It?
Chapter Seven- Bad News
Chapter Eight-Take Care
Chapter Nine- Chemo
Chapter Ten- Bed, Gym, Hospital
Chapter Eleven- Battle Won
Chapter Twelve- Aches and Nose Bleeds
Chapter Thirteen- A Hershey and Kahlua
Chapter Fourteen- Hair
Chapter Fifteen- Confessions of the Heart
Chapter Sixteen- I Promise
Chapter Eighteen- Yes, I Do
Chapter Nineteen- Forgiveness
Chapter Twenty- Something to Say
Chapter Twenty One- Surprise
Epilogue
Return to Me
Question
Help Me!
LIVE is Posted!

Chapter Seventeen- The Truth

22.4K 724 306
By CharlotteMichelle96

[The Truth]

*Lyla*

March 14, 2016

For the last three days, Matthew has done well with remaining in bed and not partaking in any intense physical activity. Sadly for him, that means no running into town or boxing at the gym. I do enjoy watching him box, however.

He puts all others to shame, the way his muscle cords tighten and loosen upon every punch and duck and kick. Matthew is a rich, successful, handsome man, and he chose to be with me, the sick, dying cancer girl.

I will never understand why he's done so. Why he would give his heart to a girl like me. Does he not know the risk, that I might leave him without either of us wanting it? I did promise, and I will love him until my very last breath. It is impossible not to fall in love with a man such as Matthew Peters.

He has given me so much more than I could ever ask for. I just want to reciprocate it.

So tonight I am going to his house, while Donovan somehow distracts Matthew up in his room. I bought pasta and ingredients to make my homemade pesto sauce with homemade garlic bread and red wine.

I hope tonight shows him just how much I love and appreciate him.

"Lyla, we need to talk." I look behind me to see Samuel walking towards me, a sour look on his face. Pulling my eyebrows together, I set my groceries on the kitchen counter of my townhouse and face Samuel.

"What's wrong?" I ask. Samuel's dark brown eyes downcast, not looking at anything in particular until he grabs my hand and walks me towards the couch.

He gently pushes me down and I gulp.

This news requires for me to sit? How bad can it be?

"Do you know why Matthew hates me so much?"

Whoa, I was not expecting this.

I shrug my shoulders. "Bee just told me you had a falling out, after his parents died in a car accident." I never really wanted to delve further into it, not until recently. But I am surprised to be getting the story without prying it from either one of them.

Sam sighs and runs a hand through his hair as he begins to pace the length of my living room. "Yes, that is partially true. Ahem." Samuel clears his throat and I begin to see sweat forming at his hairline. "Matthew's parents died because of me.... Because of us."

I wanted to know who the 'us' was that he's referring to. But when he turns to look at me, I am taken back by his statement. I had nothing to do with their death. How could he say that?!

"You remember the night your sister was in the accident? She was driving to meet me at a party-"

"You? Why- You guys knew each other?" I shake my head, confusion seeming to overtake me. Why did I not know this? That my sister was friends with Sam?

Sam clears his throat again, rubbing the back of his neck. "Amelia and I were sort of seeing each other at the time... I invited her to the party and she was on her way. However, she got a call from some girls mother saying that her sister wasn't comfortable spending the night at some sleep over. So Amelia had to turn around and pick you up. And on her way to get you, she ran a red light, because she was texting me an apology. She t-boned a car, killing the driver immediately and the wife died within the next few minutes." I shake my head, jumping to my feet as I look up at Sam.

Why is he telling me this?

"Amelia made it to the hospital, you know this. I saw her before she passed and she made me promise to look after you."

I lift my eyes to Sam, glaring over at him. "So that's what this was? You were my friend because you're fulfilling the promise you made to my dead sister?!" Sam's eyes widen as he shakes his head.

How foolish of me, to think that a sixteen year old boy would want to befriend an eleven year old, dysfunctional girl.

"No! I mean, at the beginning, yes. But I loved you, Lyla, on my own. You're a sister to me." Sam lets out a groan and runs a hand through his hair again. "Listen, I am telling you this, because Matthew hates me for killing his parents, Ly. You have to tell him your part in it. He has to understand that it wasn't just me... You have to tell him before he finds out from someone else."

My heart races in my chest as tears well in my eyes. I killed them? I killed not only my sister, but Matthew's parents as well.

"You want me to take the blame, so that you can rekindle this relationship with Matt? Why would you tell me this Sam?! You want to ruin this one good thing I have going for me right now?!" Sam turns to look at me, his expression hardening as he takes a deep breath.

"I warned you from the beginning that he was going to hurt you." Tears roll down my cheeks as I place a hand over my heart. I can scarcely breathe as this new information bears down on me.

I feel betrayed as I look back at Sam. He knew this, the whole time I had a relationship with Matthew. And he harbored it away, until he deemed the best time to tell me. He knows I'll have to relay this information to Matthew. He knows it will break his heart and probably result in him breaking mine.

Does Sam really hate Matthew that much, that the hatred would slowly transfer to me?

"You have just ruined everything, Samuel. If this breaks him, if it causes him to lose faith and sight of what is important, I will never forgive you." I storm pass Samuel, grab my groceries and head towards my truck.

As I drive to Matthew's house, I call Donovan and tell him I'm on my way and apologize for coming early.

~*~

I just finish pouring wine into Matthew's glass when I hear shuffling at the stairs. "Donovan, how many time do I have to tell you? I. Do not. Care. About how you choose your clothes in the morning!" I try to stifle laughter as footsteps sound in the hallway. I place my hands in front of me and smile at Matthew who freezes upon seeing me.

I don't typically get all dressed up, but for Matthew I did and I will. The red dress I am wear hugs perfectly at my waist and then flares nicely at my hips. The straps come off the shoulder, resting elegantly on the tops of my arms to allow a large neckline. I applied light makeup, and even wore black heels.

The food is already set at the dinning room table, on which I placed a white tablecloth with a floral bouquet and even two candles. Matthew meets my eyes, a small smile twitching at the corner of his lips. "Donny, do you see that beautiful angel too? Or am I being whisked away to Heaven?" Matthew asks, leaning over so he is talking near Donovan's ear, but loud enough so I can hear him.

I smile widely as Donovan turns and claps Matthew on the back. "No. She's real, brother. And I suggest you go get her, before I do."

I arch an eyebrow, oh really?.

Matthew shoots Donovan a glare before he briskly walks over, wrapping his arms around my waist and places a soft kiss to my lips. "You're breathtaking, Lyla." I grin up at him, placing a hand on his warm, clean shaven cheek.

"I wanted to do something for you, as a 'thank you'. For all you've done for me." Matthew pulls his eyebrows together, taking a step back to look down into my eyes.

"I haven't done nearly enough, love. But I really do appreciate this. This is amazing." Matthew gives me one more kiss before he pulls my chair out for me. I smile brightly before sitting and watch as he does the same, across from me.

Matthew eats as if this meal were his last, savoring every bite and moaning with each one. I want to laugh at him, but I am pleased he has enjoyed my cooking.

I take a deep breath and lean forward to grab onto Matthew's hand. He lifts his eyes from his plate and arches an eyebrow. I smile sweetly.

"I had an appointment today. Apparently everything is looking well. We are killing the cancer cells, there is no sign of relapse. We are moving on to Consolidation, where they will kill any remaining cancerous cells. But it looks as though I am on the right track." Matthew shoots out of his chair, causing it to smash to the ground but that doesn't stop him as he rushes over to scoop me up into his arms.

"That is honestly the best news you could have ever given me, baby." Matthew says softly in my ear as he clings tightly to me, kissing my cheeks and the side of my neck. I hum in pleasure as I sink my fingers into his hair, never wanting to let him go.

"I love you, Matthew."

Matt groans, walking us away from the table and to the couch, holding me effortlessly in his arms. Once he sits down, with me on his lap, Matthew runs his knuckles down the side of my neck and across my collarbone. I watch as his beautiful eyes follow his fingers, seeing the goosebumps appear on my chest from his simple touch.

I have never seen Matthew so happy, so content. It brings me joy to know I am the reason for his happiness.

But will I also be the reason for his despair?

The weight of Samuel's news is heavy on my shoulders and mind. I know that I have to tell him. It's going to break his heart and the thought of him looking at me in a different way than how he's currently doing so, frightens me.

I reach my hand up and run my fingers along his cheekbones, down to his jaw, over his ear and to the back of his neck.

"You're the best thing that has happened to me. I need you to know that." I whisper, my voice shaking as I decide that I have to tell him. I have to tell him right now.

Tear well in my eyes, causing Matthew to frown as he gently brushes away the few that managed to escape. "I know baby. You're the same for me. The very best thing."

Oh, if only you knew. I let out a sob, leaning forward to rest my forehead against his shoulder. I never want to let him go. But he has to know the truth.

Why couldn't Samuel leave well enough alone? Why did he have to tell me and put me in this position?

"There is something I must tell you, Matthew. And I fear it will cause you to look at me differently." Matthew shakes his head against mine, gently shushing me in my ear. Matt rubs his hands up and down my back in a soothing gesture.

I take a deep breath and decide it would be best if I was delivering the news just as Samuel had. Me standing and Matt sitting.

I wring my fingers together as I clear my throat. "Um.... I know why you hate Samuel. Er.... You believe he killed your parents, right?" Matthew's expression already turns to a mask of anger as he nods his head slowly.

"He was texting that girl. The one who crashed into my parents." My throat closes and I let out a cough.

Why is this so hard?

"Well, Amelia was supposed to be at that party, you see. She was supposed to be with you and Sammy. But instead, her idiot sister got scared and had to be picked up from a friends house. So Amelia had to turn around... to pick me up. And on her way, she hit your parent's car. So, in all actuality, the fault is on me. I killed my sister. And I killed your parents."

Matthew's blue eyes freeze over, turning nearly black as he looks at me with anger I have never seen. I take a step back, not understanding the fear that overcomes me. Would he really hurt me?

Matt gets to his feet and walks towards me, jaw set. "You? You've known this whole time, the truth behind their death? And you didn't tell me? Why? Did you really need my money that badly? But now you're on road to recovery, you can tell the truth because you no longer need me? Is that is?!" I flinch, taking another step back as he approaches me.

"N-no. Matt- I swear-" Matthew pushes me against the wall, suddenly in my face.

"Talia was right. You only wanted me for my money. What kind of sick game was this to you, Lyla?! I gave my heart to you! I trusted you! And you spit on all that, because of a filthy lie! Why couldn't you just tell me?! Why keep this a secret? Make me hate Samuel, as if it was his fault. He was my brother and you just let me believe..." Matthew steps back and looks at me with so much hatred and disgust that it tears my heart out.

Tears roll down my cheeks as I desperately shake my head. He can't honestly believe that it was all a game, could he? I love him so much, I never wanted to hurt him.

"Please, I didn't know! I-I didn't know... He just told me-"

"Shut up! Get the hell out of my house! This is why I don't love. Because it's so pointless and painful. Everyone always disappoints you in the end. It was foolish of me to think you were any different." A sob runs through me as Matthew turns to walk away.

"Matt, please!" I cry after him but he don't turn to face me. He just continues to walk away, leaving me crying in his living room.

What have I done?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

348K 20.7K 45
π’πœπžπ§π­ 𝐎𝐟 π‹π¨π―πžγ€’ππ² π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐬 γ€ˆπ›π¨π¨π€ 1〉 π‘Άπ’‘π’‘π’π’”π’Šπ’•π’†π’” 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 β˜†|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
624K 25.6K 64
A collection of short stories. Explore the world of Pakistani novellas✨ 1. Love Lessons by Professor βœ“ 2. Bitter Sweet Love βœ“ 3. Silent Tears βœ“ 4. Th...
960K 61.1K 59
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
2.5M 211K 94
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...