Healing the Broken

By Magisky

The war had more than taken it's tole on the golden trio, and Harry was worn, tired and filled with sadness a... More

Pre- Info and Warning
Chapter 1- George's Plan
Chapter 2- Aching Hearts
Chapter 3- The Problem of Ron
Chapter 4- The Ball
Chapter 5- The Killers Revealed
Chapter 6- The Room of Requirement
Chapter 7- It Was Her Choice
Chapter 8- Malfoy Reveals
Chapter 9- Hermione Pities Filch
Chapter 10- Filch is Taken- Harry is Not.
Chapter 11- The Return of Rita Skeeter.
Chapter 12- Narcissa Leads Hermione
Chapter 13- Hermione Finds Her Parents
Chapter 14- Hermione Is Sent To St. Mungo's
Chapter 15- Meeting The Parents
Chapter 16- Harry Knows His Stars
Chapter 17- Ron's Nightmares
Chapter 18- Harry's Quidditch Surprise
Chapter 19- Studying Builds Up
Chapter 20- Another Dream?
Chapter 21- Ron Is On A Chocolate Frog Card
Chapter 22- Christmas at the Burrow
Chapter 23- Ron's Pregnant
Chapter 24- The Last Trip To Hogwarts
Chapter 25- Grawp The Friendly Giant
Chapter 26- Ron Gets His Man Period
Chapter 27- He Loves Her
Chapter 28- Hermione Teaches A Class
Chapter 29- The Final Hogsmeade Trip
Chapter 30- The Quidditch Match
Chapter 31- The New Ghost
Chapter 32- Hermione's Worst Fear
Chapter 33- The Portrait of Albus Dumbledore
Chapter 34- Dennis Creevey
Chapter 35- Freeing Bellatrix Lestrange
Chapter 36- Ron Ends Potions With A Bang
Chapter 37- The Graduation
Chapter 38- The Last Train Ride
Chapter 39- A Due Death
Chapter 40- Teddy the Duck
Chapter 42- A Death Like No Other
Chapter 43- The Funeral
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Chapter 41- The Man On The Phone

3.3K 93 24
By Magisky

"I brought firewhisky." Ron said as he entered through the front door with Luna.

Luna gazed at him thoughtfully. "I do wonder if the reason Hermione's interview man didn't hire her was because his brain was clouded with Nargles." She catches them all staring at her and smiles. "They are known for slowing proper and reasonable thinking."

"Exactly." Harry says.

Ron looks over at him incredulously. "You think the answer to this is Nargles?"

Harry shakes his head. "No not that part... Luna said something about proper and reasonable thinking- and she's exactly right. Even a fool would know how smart it is to hire Hermione as an Auror... so why didn't he?"

Ron taps his head. "Nargles."

Just then the front door opens, and Hermione comes into view, clutching groceries in her hands. She raises an eyebrow at them all, surprised to see everyone gathering in the living room. "So is this going to become a regular thing then? You both just hanging around over here?"

Ron smiles. "Duh."

She shakes her head and turns to the dining room, where she sets the grocery bags on the table and starts to unload all of the food. "I bought some Mac and Cheese for Teddy... I might as well make him some, don't you think? It's nearly one..."

After setting the milk in the fridge, she shuts the door and leaves for Teddy's room, where he was playing with his toys.

Ron frowns as soon as she'd disappeared. "She doesn't even sound upset."

Harry rubs his face with his hands. "I know. That's why it's killing me- she's normally so open, you know? And here she is, acting like she doesn't mind not getting the job she worked so hard for."

When Hermione returns, she has Teddy in her arms. "Hey Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Would you mind putting something on the TV for Teddy? I need to make his lunch." She asks, setting him down on the small space in the couch beside Harry.

Harry nods, but as soon as Hermione enters the kitchen, Ron speaks. "I got Teddy- go talk to Hermione."

"Thanks, mate." Harry gets up and follows where Hermione had gone, and when he enters their tiny kitchen, he sees her busying herself with work, dumping noodles into a boiling pot and stirring. When she turns around, she jumps.

"Merlin, Harry, you scared me." She says, and then she leans back onto the counter. "Now go ahead, say it."

Harry frowns. "Say what?"

Hermione drops her voice, pretending to be Harry. " 'Hermione, are you alright? I know that not getting the job must have been hard for you.' "

Harry cracks a smile and takes one of her palms, running his thumb over her smooth skin. "Well. Are you?"

She looks down at their hands. "Nope."

"I'm sorry."

She shakes her head. "Not your fault."

"That doesn't mean I can't be sorry."

The corner of her mouth tilts up. "Do you ever think about how kind you are?"

"Don't change the subject."

She lets out a rush of air. "What is there to say? I wasn't good enough. That's that, we're moving on."

Harry shakes his head. "No. I'm not going to let you act like there isn't anything wrong."

She smiles at him thinly. "You don't have to let me- I'll do it anyways." She turns back to the noodles, giving them a final stir before adding the cheese. "Would you please go get Teddy?" She says, with finality in her voice.

Harry stares at the back of her head for a second, watching her hair, which was let down, sway left and right as she moved. Then he turns, leaving her alone and going to get Teddy.

~~~~~

Hermione walked softly into the living room, making sure everyone was asleep. Ron had brought over the firewhisky for her, saying that it would 'cheer her up', but when they were pouring glasses she set hers down, untouched.

Ron, Luna, Harry and Teddy had stayed up late, talking and laughing. They hadn't even finished their first glass of firewhisky, which pleased Hermione- she didn't want them all drunk.

When she glances around the living room, she sees Ron and Luna asleep on the couch, their feet entwined and their hands locked. Harry slept with Teddy beside him in the loveseat. Hermione creeps over and scoops Teddy up into her arms, and he opens one eye at her. His tiny little face smiles, and he waves at her. She smiles as well and waves back.

She carries him into his bright blue bedroom, setting him down on his bed. She watches him stumble walk across his bed, and she thinks about how far he is from his second birthday. She frowns, wondering why he already knew so many words... was it possible that he was growing up faster than he was supposed to?

Hermione shakes the idea off and lies him down in bed, bidding him good night and staying with him until he falls asleep. When he does, she pulls the blankets up a bit and then leaves, shutting off the light behind her and letting his tiny night light take over.

When she re-enters the living room, she sees that everyone is still asleep. She opens up a tiny closet in the hall and pulls out a few blankets. She drapes one over Ron and Luna, and then another when it doesn't quite cover them up. She puts the last one over Harry and then makes her way down the hall to she and Harry's bedroom.

She climbs into the sheets, pulling the blankets up to her chin and turning to face the side where Harry slept. She stares at the empty space, and then reaches out to rub her fingers over the blankets on his side. The bed felt cold and empty without Harry there.

The next thing she knew she was kicking off the blankets and grabbing her wand off of the bedside table. She feels her fingers wrap around the familiar wood, and it makes her smile. She feels the same energy course through her fingertips as before, when she had first picked out her wand. She had originally gotten up to get Harry and take him into their bed, but now she had other ideas.

She approaches him. "Wingardium Leviosa." She whispers softly.

She floats him all of the way to their bedroom, where she sets him down on the bed and covers him up. She writes a quick note and sets it on the pillow where she usually slept.

Harry-

You fell asleep with Ron and Luna in the living room. I have no clue if they will still be there when you wake up. I took Teddy to his room and put him to bed, and then I took you to our bed.

I've been thinking, and I'd really like to know why I didn't get chosen as an Auror. I've gone to speak with the man who we did our interviews with to ask him why. I can accept that I wasn't chosen- I just can't accept never knowing what part of me wasn't good enough. I should be back by morning, and if that's the case, then you won't even read this note unless you wake up in the middle of the night... which you do a lot.

I love you, and I'll be back soon.

Hermione

She nods, placing it on her pillow. She changes quickly into her clothes, pulls on tennis shoes, and then apparates from the living room.

~~~~~

"Hermione!" Kingsley, the new Minister, yells from the other end of the hall. He jogs up to her, beaming with delight. "So good to see you!"

Hermione holds out her hand, and the pair of them shake. "Yes, it's good to see you too. I'm sorry to say that I'm here because of something a little less good."

Kingsley frowns. "Oh? What's wrong?"

She then moves to explain to him about her interview, how she had thought she nailed it, but had been denied a job as an Auror. She finishes by telling him about how she was here to see why on earth she hadn't been given the job.

When she's finished, he reaches out an arm and pats it sympathetically. "You must have been devastated that you didn't get the job. I'm really sorry to hear that. However."

She sniffles, looking up at him. "However?"

He gives her a kind smile. "I am the Minister of Magic, and if I feel you are someone who we need in the Auror category, I can appoint you just like that." He says, snapping his fingers. "And I did see your interview papers and approved them- I made you an Auror. So I'm curious as to why ou claim you weren't given the job?"

She frowns. "The man who interviewed me told me that he was sorry to say that I didn't get the job."

"Hmm... Do you, by chance, remember his name?"

"Artie Bollswerth."

Kingsley tilts up his chin in recognition. "Artie. Always been quite the troublesome employee... I'll have a talk with him tomorrow. But, as of right now, you do have the Auror position, and you start work with the boys tomorrow."

Hermione's face breaks into a bright smile. "Really? Thank you Kingsley- thank you so much."

He nods, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "You're very welcome. Now you'd better get home."

She nods, turning on the spot and apparating with a loud crack.

~~~~~

Her feet landed on the hard pavement road that her house resided on. She barely takes a step before her cell phone rings.

She, Harry and Ron had agreed to all get cell phones to keep in touch when they were further away- and many of their other friends did as well. Luna, Neville, Seamus... even George. Hermione had gathered as many phone number as she could and put them into her phone, labeling them all and giving them pictures. She looked at the screen on her phone.

Andromeda.

Curious, she slides the button and places the phone up to her ear. "Hello?"

"Is this Hermione Granger?" A tentative man's voice asked from the other line. Hermione frowns.

"Who is this?" She demands, not answering his question.

The man on the other line coughs. "My name is Tyrannous Clomswell. I live right beside Andromeda Tonks. How do you know her? Are you really Hermione Granger?"

Hermione stands on her driveway now, which was empty- neither she or Harry had gotten a car yet. "Why are you calling me? Is Andromeda alright?"

The man's voice tuts. "You haven't answered any of my questions- what if you mean to hurt her?"

"What if I mean to hurt her? You're the one calling me at midnight, mister, and I'm in her contacts list. It's sort of suspicious, don't you think?" Hermione demands, and her hand automatically flies to her pocket, where her wand sits. "Now tell me what's going on."

"Alright, alright! No need to get your knickers in a knot." The man says. "Andromeda, as I said, is my neighbor, and I live directly to the left of her. About five o'clock today, I was coming home from work, and saw Andromeda outside watering her flower beds. At six, I went back outside, and saw her laying unconscious in the grass."

Hermione's heart skips a beat. "She's... No. It hasn't been the right amount of days.... is she dead? She's not dead, right?"

The man gulps. "I don't know. I took her to St. Mungo's, and when I finally returned, it was dusk. Her cell phone was on the sidewalk- I nearly stepped on it. It was dead, so I charged it, and when it finally got full power, I called her latest contact- you. I figured that Hermione Granger, brightest witch of our age and girlfriend of Harry Potter will be a safe enough choice."

"You thought correct. I'll be down at Andromeda's to pick up her phone in about three minutes. Meet me at the front door- any funny business and I'll hex you."

"Yes ma'am-"

But she had already hung up. She glanced at the front door, thinking about her warm bed, and sleeping beside Harry. She exhales a rush of air out of her nose, and closes her eyes. She had to get to St. Mungo's and be with Andromeda... she would just have to call Harry as soon as she's free. But as of right now...

She heaves a sigh and closes her eyes, turning on the spot and disapparating with a loud crack.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

722 24 42
'You can't just leave me and then come back a year later and assume nothing's changed!' I turned angrily to him. We were running out of Alley, I was...
20.4K 623 23
Muggle Hinny Au "Stop being grumpy on the first day of the Senior year" "I was delighted until you showed up" "C'mon, you couldn't possibly hate me t...
512K 14.3K 36
A summer has come and gone since Voldemort was defeated. Hogwarts has been rebuilt. The Golden Trio return to Hogwarts to complete their education. T...
11.4K 288 14
Harry didn't know what to expect after the war ended but he definitely didn't expect to be filled with such bitterness and emptiness. For the first t...