The Pretend Girlfriend

By Salmaumar73

He grabs my hands and slams me against the wall. 'what is your problem?' I ask. 'my problem is you. Have you... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
Epilogue

CHAPTER 26

6.7K 214 12
By Salmaumar73

LAURA POV

"Ally would see you now," The nurse says to Ally's mom. She starts to get up when I sneak up behind her.

"Can I come with?" I ask with wide eyes.

"Um...well, I...," Mrs Dawson stutters and I don't interrupt.

"Well I was gonna grab a bite to eat first," she says finally.

"What are you getting?" I ask.

"Pizza,"

"Oh great I love pizza. Let's get it together, then we can both go see Ally okay?" I suggest cheerfully as I walk towards the cafeteria.

The truth is, ever since Ally was rescued from that house two weeks ago, I've not been able to see her in the hospital.  There was always one excuse or another; she was either tired, or asleep, or not in the mood for visitors,  yet somehow, she managed to see everyone but me, even Dave! Everyone knows she is avoiding me, they are just too nice to say it.

"Aren't you coming?" I ask Mrs Dawson with false innocence.

"Of course," she replies grimly as we both head towards the caeteria.

We sit down and order, both of us too nervous to eat. A few awkward conversations and a half hearted lunch later, we are walking slowly towards Ally's room.
Ally's mom hesitantly knocks on the door, probably half hoping Ally would be asleep.

"Come in," Ally calls out as I and her mom step into her room. She looks at me and I stare back at her, shocked.
When she was taken on a stretcher from Hayley's house a few weeks ago, I could barely recognise her. She was pale, bruised, badly beaten and unconscious. I haven't seen her since, but that image would forever be etched in my brain. Now she looks better, but still quite bad. She still looks pale though not as before, there are still a few bruises on her left eye, and the corner of her mouth, a few on her arms, and I'm pretty sure others are being covered by the hospital gown. Her head is bandaged, and her eyes lack their usual mischief.

"Laura came by the hospital and suggested we see you together," Mrs Dawson says as she pleads with her eyes.
Translation: Laura practically forced me to bring her here.

"Okay," Ally says simply.

"So how are you sweetie? and the pain?" She asks kissing Ally's forehead and sitting at the edge of her bed.

"It's still pretty bad. The nurse has refused to give me those crappy pills," Ally replies bitterly.

"It's just so you won't get addicted," she replies reasonably.

"Whatever," Ally says.

"Your dad will come over in the evening. He couldn't make it now because he had sone urgent work to be done," Mrs Dawson states, tapping Ally's foot.

"Okay," Ally replies.

Mrs Dawson hesitates.

"I'll leave you two alone, " she says as she stands up and leaves the room, shutting the door behind her.

"Hello Ally. How are you feeling?" I ask uncertainly moving to stand beside her.

"What do you want Laura?" She asks flatly.

I flinch involuntary, stunned.

"I just came to see you. It's been a while," I reply awkwardly.

"Fine," she simply says.

"Are you better?" I ask.

"I'm ok," she replies.

"Does the food suck?" I ask in a lame attempt at humor.

"It's fine,"

"Do you mind, like, not answering me in monosyllables? I'm trying here," I state.

She looks at me for a while, and then scoffs.

"Are you angry at me?" I ask finally.

"Yes I am, Laura. If you don't mind, I want you to leave now," she says rudely.

"I do mind, as a matter of fact. Why are you angry at me?" I ask.

"Don't ask me that," she says.

"Just tell me," I raise my voice impatiently.

"Because," she yells.

"I blame you. I know I shouldn't, but I do. I can't help it, okay?" she screams with tears in her eyes.

"I blame you for switching off your phone, for telling me what sort of monster your brother was, for not telling me soon enough, for suggesting I could pick you up; In fact, I blame you for having a brother like that," she screams crying.

"It was Jason's fault, I get that, but seeing you just makes me so angry. I blame you, I blame Jason, I blame Hayley, I blame Dave, I blame Nate and I blame myself,"

"Ally you have no idea how guilty I feel for what happened to you, but your anger is clouding your judgement. I blame myself too, you know, but Jason is at fault. I'm so sorry, Ally, I really am; What I did was stupid and careless, and I shouldn't have done that. Please forgive me," my voice cracks. I don't realize I'm crying too.

"What Jason did will haunt me for the rest of my life. He would have raped me, you know?" she says and I gasp in shock.

"Ally I'm so-," I start.

"Don't apologize. It's all on him," she says.

"He stopped because I kept screaming Nate's name. He beat the shit out of me instead," she says shaking her head.

"Tell me what happened after the police came, when I was unconscious. I've asked, but no one is telling me. Everyone wants to spare my feelings, but you won't. You owe me," she states.

"Jason was dragged out in handcuffs like a criminal...which he is," I say genuinely.

"You were rushed out on a stretcher barely breathing and almost unrecognizable. It was plenty traumatic," I finish.

"Thanks for telling me," she says.

"You know, you're lucky to have a guy like Nate,"

"I know," she affirms.

"You should have seen him. When Jase was dragged out, Nate rushed at him, hoping to beat him up but was stopped and almost arrested by the cops. He sat on the floor clutching his head and screaming like a lunatic. I went over and held him till it was over. He really cares about you,"

She gives a half smile and nods.

"I heard Aiden is still unconscious," she asks.

"Um, no. He came to yesterday. The drugs he's on makes him act funny. He jokes about everything," I smile fondly.

"He almost died," she says.

"He knows," I reply.

"What about you and Dave?" She asks curiously.

"We're on a break...for now,"

"Look, Laura, I'm sorry for the way I spoke to you earlier, I needed to get that off my chest," she apologizes.

"Does this mean we're friends again?" I ask hopefully.

"We'll always be friends, nothing would change that," she reassures me.

"Okay," I say relieved.

"But I would appreciate it if you give me some space for a while. I need to think," she finishes.

"Okay I understand," I say.

I do not understand!

"My parents said I need to go to therapy, that the event deeply affected me, but I'm not affected. That's ludicrous right?" she jokes.

"Of course," I lie.

"But what about school? we were supposed to room together?" I ask hoping she'll change her mind.

"I'll go to college next year...with Nate, " she hesitates.

"Oh!" I say deeply hurt.

"I need to figure myself out, and he understands that. He says he'll wait for me,"

"Good for you," I say crying again.

Ally reaches out and holds my hands.

"We'll work through this, Laura, we always do," she smiles.

"I want your brother to pay for what he's done," she states.

"He will,"

"I'll miss you, Laura," Ally says crying.

"Goodbye, Ally," I say and quickly walk out of the room.

1 YEAR LATER

"Ally's upstairs," Mrs Dawson tells me. I thank her and make my way to Ally's room.

"Hey Laura," she beams as she hugs me.

"Ally," I smile hugging her back. We stay like that for a while before breaking the hug.

"You look so good," she observes.

"You look great," I say. She really does.

"You had a haircut, you're tanner, skinnier, and I'll totally steal those heels," she says.

My Ally is back!

"What is that?" I ask grabbing her hand looking at the ring on her finger.

"Nate proposed. We're going to college together, so why wait for some frat guy to sweep me off my feet?" she jokes.

"I'm so happy for you," I say.

"Thank you! So how's the future doctor doing in school?" She asks nudging me on the shoulder.

"She's coping," I reply.

"You've always been the serious one,"

"So does this mean you're not angry at me anymore?"

"I'm not. I've even passed the stage of being angry at myself for being angry at you. Turns out I needed a shrink afterall," she says moving towards her bed.

"I'm packing. You wanna help?" She asks.

"Sure. Let me see all the new stuff you've got," I joke.

None of us mention jason who had been denied bail. His trial would take place in a few months. As I and Ally tease and throw clothes at each other, it seems this past year of enstrangement didn't happen. I'm glad I have her back.

Thanks for the support!

DON'T FORGET

VOTE

FAN

COMMENT

THANKS!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 79.3K 59
She looks up at me, taking a step forward and smiling slightly, "How can I ever get hurt when I have you here to protect me?" "But you could have got...
1.1M 18.4K 43
HIGHEST RANKS EVER: #4 in #ENEMIES (2021) #1 in #ENEMIESWITHBENEFITS (2021) #1 in #HUMOR (2020) #1 in #BOYFRIEND (2021) Sometimes in an unproductive...
16 1 13
It was the end of my first year at university and I was looking forward to the summer to live it to the fullest until my heart was broken. As if bein...
987 259 56
"Because you're too perfect." He said sipping the alcohol again. I tried to remove it from his grip but he yanked my hand away ."That's enough you'r...