Professor Layton and the Memo...

Autorstwa EffervescentElixir

Set after 'The Lost Future'/'Unwound Future', 'Professor Layton and the Memories Of A Time Gone By' explores... Więcej

Prologue: The Lost Future
1. A Mystery To Solve
2. The Thirst For Adventure
3. Next Stop... Dropstone!
4. The Quiet Village
5. Midnight Shadows
6. Trouble In Town
7. A Diverging Path
8. A Puzzle Among Others
9. Pieces Of A Puzzle
10. Move On The Castle
11. Lost Soul
12. The Investigation Begins
13: Moonlight Madness
14. Faith and Mysteries
15. Heartbreaker
16. Turning Point
18. I am Undying
19. The End

17. Traps And Rescues

500 13 13
Autorstwa EffervescentElixir

"Just hold the rope steady and I'll do the rest. Trust me; I'm an expert at this sort of thing." Dimitri grunted, taking small steps back as the rope trailed lazily behind him.

"I don't know who you are really, but I'll take your word for it." Albert muttered in response. He was just happy knowing that he didn't have to think too hard. Apparently there was an expert here.

As the detective dragged Clive away earlier that day, all the others could do was watch and follow with concerned gazes. As they reached the station, the detective had told them to leave and so they had. But they weren't going to leave forever. Dimitri had a plan and Albert - although unsure at first - had finally agreed. He wanted to do anything to help the Professor and his friends. He was a part of their team now and that made him feel on top of the world. Who else could say they were part of Professor Layton's team?

They found some rope easily enough when visiting a store and although the two realised that they had no money, the problem was easily solved when the shopkeeper agreed to give them the rope for free if they agreed to help him with a puzzle that had in a bind for days.

The plan couldn't go in effect until that night as too many officers came in and out and they would have been seen. Until then, they decided to go and visit the Professor but were greeted by a grim sight.  The gate to the forest was blocked by Gatherer men and they could find no way around. They worried for Hershel and the others but they knew that whatever was happening, the Professor would find a solution. He always did.

They wandered the town a bit with Albert giving detailed lectures about the town's history and the people in each house. Dimitri blocked most of it out, partly as he was still worried for the others, but mostly because the young lad was just so boring. He couldn't wait for the break-in that night. They had assumed that Clive would be kept in there for a few days at least and they needed to get him out as soon as possible before Chelmey figured out who their guest really was.

They went to check the gate later on and they quickly hid behind some bins as they saw men rushing out, and in the lead: Oliver.

"Perhaps they captured him." Albert mused. He had known Oliver before anyone else. Anyone new to the town was big news to him. He knew about the wedding before Katia as he watched Oliver set up the flowers in front of the museum one evening. He could tell that was a big romantic gesture and it could only mean one thing.

"No..." Dimitri had sighed. "Look closer. He is smiling and he isn't tied up. He is leading the group. I fear that he must be one of the agents of the Gatherers... Poor Katia..."

"Maybe if we capture him we can interrogate him to find out who the leader is."

Dimitri grimaced. "You're becoming quite the violent one... No, he is too well guarded. Look," He gestured as the graceful man stepped into a car and it started to drive off.  "It’s too late anyway. Come on, let's just wait by the station. It will be evening in an hour."

"What do we do for an hour then?"

"You can tell me more of the museum and the town."

As Albert jumped up grinning, Dimitri rose slowly, his face draining of colour.

"Why did I say that...?" He muttered beneath his breath.

******

"Now just one more push... and... I'm up!" Dimitri jumped in the air in glee. He wiped off his trousers and then turned down to Albert.

"Come on!" He hissed urgently. "Now that I'm up I can help you get up faster. You're going to need to climb up the rope first though."

Albert looked up at Dimitri and wiped his brow of sweat. The roof seemed to stretch away for ages. In reality the building was actually very small.

"Hold on." He straightened his glasses and then pulled his red sweater down to make sure it was on tight. "Okay... Alright... I'm gonna do this."

Wincing, he grabbed hold of the rope tightly and started to shimmy his arms up a bit further. He took a deep breath and then placed his feet against the wall and started to walk up slowly. He moved his arms up further and soon he had a rhythm going. He was halfway when he saw Dimitri drop to the floor. He panicked and then turned his head ever so slightly to see what had frightened Dimitri.

Walking past the house opposite the police station, was a young officer who looked eager to return to the station and he just happened to be heading straight towards them.

"Should I continue climbing?!" He hissed, but he got no response from above. "Alright then..."

He continued in that motion for a few seconds when he heard the officer grunt about something.

"What's this rope doing here?"

Albert almost lost his head and he felt sweat dripping freely. If only he had stayed still. Then the officer would not have seen the rope move ever so slightly. Now he had ruined the mission. He almost lost his grip of the rope from all the sweat on his hands when he forced himself to calm down. The panic returned, however, when he felt the drip sliding of his cheeks and chin and falling to the Earth below.

What if one of them hits the officer? He thought with mad concern.

He could feel the officer slowly raising his head. That's it! He screamed in his head. The sweat must have fallen on him. He wanted to just jump now and end it all when suddenly he felt his arms being grabbed and he was lifted up.

As he lay on the roof panting, he laughed after realising what had just happened.

"You saved me!"

Dimitri almost screamed and he threw his hand over the boy's mouth. He held his other hand in front of his mouth and kept his index finger out to signal the boy to be quiet. Albert nodded and as Dimitri removed his hand, he made sure to not even breathe loudly.

They listened carefully and then after a while they heard footsteps fading and they knew they were safe.

"I kind of wish we had just taken the stairs..." Albert muttered after a while.

"THERE WERE STAIRS!" Dimitri exploded.

"Hey, keep it down. We don't want to get caught."

The scientist held back his fury and then took a deep breath.

"Why didn't you tell me about the stairs?"

"Well, I thought that you already knew but wanted to take your own way up."

"You could have saved us all that trouble getting the rope."

"You didn't seem to have any trouble solving that puzzle."

"That's beside the point. Look, there is no point arguing any further. Let's just go..."

Albert nodded enthusiastically and Dimitri sighed.

This is going to be a long night...

*****

"Are you sure about this, Professor?" Flora gasped, taking a large step back as the Professor and Katia carried a large plank out of the castle and towards the lake where Dorothea was busily fitting pieces of wood together.

"Do not worry, Flora. We will not harm Mr Anderson. Once the trap activates, he will fall into a safety net and then we can get what we need."

"Are you sure that he will even try and leave with it tonight?"

"There is if we are to believe what Katia said. We must do everything in our power to avenge Anton and stop the Heartbreaker's plans."

Katia thought long and hard over that. The Professor had another plan entirely until they ran into the most incredible thing. It almost broke her heart reading it and that was already shattered enough from that afternoon. What they had found was a letter. It was addressed to Katia, but she allowed the Professor and Flora to read it along with her.

To my dearest Katia,

If you are reading this, then I fear that monster has done the worst. It pains me so much to say, my dear Katia, but I discovered the true nature of Oliver shortly after the attack on our house. He threatened to kill you if I told you the truth about him. I thought I could maybe tell you in secret, but I wasn't sure to what extent he could be listening to everything and also I didn't think you would believe me. Why believe this old fool when you were in love?

I know as you read that line you were thinking that I am more than some old fool, but I assure you that I'm not. I couldn't protect those I loved. I was weak. I am weak. This weakness might lead me to do something stupid and so I fear I am not much longer for this world either way. If I am to die before I can give you the news, I trust that you will have found this letter and will receive it now. Oliver does not have the Gatherer.

I had a replica made many years ago. I do so often when I have items of extreme worth. The only thing I never made a copy of was the Elysian Box as that had too many memories surrounding it. Now that you know it is safe, I must tell you where I hid it. It is in a secret compartment in your father's room. He would never know it's there. I made sure of it.

Furthermore, when Oliver threatened me, I listened closely to a conversation he had with one of his guards. Now that they think they have the Gatherer, they intend to bring some sort of other contraptions to the castle in two nights. I'm sorry to say but your father is working for them. He often travels at night with them. I tried to bring down the bridge once. Dorothea and I dismantled the bridge one night in the hopes of stopping whatever foul plan he had, but then he started swimming across as if it was no matter. It's as if some force has got inside his head and forces him to do whatever it takes to achieve his goal. He's a dangerous man.

I don't know how such a man of honour was swayed by them, but he was and that worries me. If they can get to him, they can surely get through to you too. That leaves me awake at night for many hours. I often was like that before all this. I would go down the stairs each night to get a glass of water to cool my hot head. I was red with sweat from worry about you. I can't bear to live in a world without you and I am not losing you after only having you for such a short time. Two years is hardly anything.

Oliver said he would visit me again tomorrow and I dread that encounter. That is why I knew I had to write this letter now. I can't imagine what he has in stall for me, but it can't dwell well for any of us. I love you with my entire heart, Katia and I want you to know that whatever happens, I will never forget what you did for me. You saved this old man from a doomed existence. I thought I was a young man with eternal life and had everything. That couldn't be further from the truth, but thanks to you, that soon became a reality. I did have everything. You are my everything and that is a far better promise than eternal life ever was.

So once again, thank you, Katia. You saved this old man and I intend to save you to my dying breath. Remember, everything I do, I do for you.

With warmest regards and undying love,

Anton

Katia had littered the page with tears and even Flora had to hold back a sniffle. Hershel had examined the letter once more and then smiled.

"What could be so amusing?" Katia had demanded through tears.

"It seems your grandfather left one more message for us. Look closely at the bold words. I knew they served a purpose."

Katia examined the bold words and then dropped the letter.

I am undying.

"But what does that mean, Professor? Undying means eternal. He clearly stated that he wasn't and besides the idea is beyond crazy. It's just like those foolish people who were on the news that one time because they entered a contest for eternal life. It just isn't real."

"Perhaps not, but perhaps he means it in a different way."

"You mean... that he's alive? But we saw him fall!"

"I cannot say if he is alive, but I can say that there is more to this mystery than meets the eye. Another puzzle for sure, but one that will be made clear in due time. Come, this is big news. Let us get the real Gatherer."

*****

They found the secret compartment easily enough. At least, easily for the Professor. The real problem was sneaking past the sleeping Mr Anderson. He was still pretending to be sick so had fallen asleep to play his role. Little did he know that the others knew. As they opened the compartment, they were confronted by a disturbing sight.

"It's not there!" Katia exclaimed.

"Maybe it's just further back?" Flora suggested.

"No. It would appear as if someone has already discovered it." Hershel murmured.

"But who?"

"It can only be one person." Katia stated. "My father found it. He must have hidden it somewhere else in case... grandfather told us about it. And the thing is, it is nearly midnight. He'll want to bring it to Oliver."

It hurt her to say his name, like the feeling of burning your throat, but she swallowed the feeling and turned to the Professor.

"Well come on then." She smiled weakly. She turned to study her father as his chest raised up and down slowly. "Let's stop him before he can."

And so it was that the Professor devised this trap. They would undo what Anton and Dorothea had done and rebuild the bridge, except this time it was set to collapse into a net to capture Mr Anderson as he attempted to sneak out with the Gatherer.

"It is almost midnight!" Flora gasped, examining the clock through the window.

"Then we must hurry!" Hershel said calmly. "We cannot afford to lose this chance."

*****

They found the ventilation shaft access easily enough and soon Dimitri and Albert were sliding down and out into the empty supply cabinet next to the holding cells. Albert knew the entire layout for the police station and had told Dimitri of the best way to get to Clive. The only thing they had to worry about now was being caught.

Dimitri opened the door slightly and peeked out. He couldn't see anyone and he nodded at Albert. They quietly left the cupboard and made their way towards the cell to their far right. They could see Clive sitting there now, his face a picture of annoyance.

If the cell needed a key then the job would have been much harder, but Albert was fortunate enough to be told by one of the guards once that the station had been fitted out with a new electronic system. All they had to do was press a switch on the wall and the cell doors would swing open.

Dimitri found the switch easily enough and pressed it. With a hiss, Clive's door opened smoothly and he looked up frowning. He saw the two and let out a wide grin. He nodded to show he would be quiet and he quickly walked out of the cell and joined them.

They started making their way back to the cupboard when they were stopped by an all too familiar voice.

"Now just where do you think you're going?"

It was Inspector Chelmey.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

13.8K 364 19
It was supposed to be just another day in F/N's seemingly normal life, until she recieves a text from her so-called 'boyfriend', who's name and face...
168 0 18
❝do you remember this place? Do you have any of her memories?❞ . . . ⇢ ˗ˏˋ Ghirahim ࿐ྂ ❝I'll never let him hurt you again.❞ . . . ⇢ ˗ˏˋ Link ࿐ྂ ━━━...
14.3K 336 35
The sequel and final part of the Love In Memories two-parter. The heroes escape from the thrilling finale in 'Memories Of A Time Gone By', but the He...
195 0 16
Set after Lost/Unwound Future. Roughly 7 years have passed since Layton separated from his loved one, Claire. The Professor has mysteriously disappea...