slow it down // zayn malik

By perksofbeingaweirdo

♫ I never, she never, we never looked back. That wasn't what we were good at. ♫ The Ragstock Music Festiva... More

slow it down
chapter one // home sweet home.
chapter two // loathing.
chapter three // too close.
chapter four // what you didn't know.
chapter five // give it up to the dj.
chapter six // helpless.
chapter seven // gonna let it burn.
chapter eight // no lies.
chapter nine // maybe i'll get drunk again.
chapter ten // battlefield.
chapter eleven // harder to breathe.
chapter twelve // like we only go backwards.
chapter thirteen // adjustments.
chapter fourteen // pressing pause.
chapter fifteen // in the zone.
chapter sixteen // harmonizing.
chapter seventeen // reconsideration.
chapter eighteen // pillow talk.
chapter nineteen // lies spread like wildfire.
chapter twenty // fire in our bones.
chapter twenty-one // come together.
chapter twenty-two // do i wanna know?
chapter twenty-four // constant state of confusion.
chapter twenty-five // painful confliction.
chapter twenty-six // burning fires in this room.
chapter twenty-seven // comrade.
chapter twenty-eight // sunflowers.
chapter twenty-nine // droplets.
chapter thirty // loss of presence; loss of grace.
chapter thirty-one // out of breath.
chapter thirty-two // floating devices.
chapter thirty-three // lost & found.
chapter thirty-four // learning to speak with kisses on cheek.
// epilogue //
// music //
teaser // 'fix you'

chapter twenty-three // terrified.

21.9K 865 313
By perksofbeingaweirdo

zayn's pov

"Mate!" 

I've never been so happy to hear the lads' voices before. They all smile and throw their hands up as they excitedly greet Linley and I. But the moment their eyes land on the other two tagging along, their smiles falter ever-so-slightly.

After spending the entire day in Jonny Delark's fucking mansion of a tent, I finally pried Linley off of his lap, practically begging her to leave so we can get back to our friends. If I had to sit in that place and watch Jonny shamelessly flirt with Linley and Linley fall for every one of his tricks, I was going to hang myself. 

But of course Linley and I just couldn't get out of there. Jonny insisted on joining, saying he'd love to meet our friends. And knowing I couldn't just let Linley flirt with Jonny, I asked Kenzi if she'd like to come along as well. She wanted to come just as much as I wanted the two of them to come, but she wasn't going to let Jonny go by himself with Linley. 

After spending some time with Kenzi, I saw how absolutely and ridiculously she was in love with Jonny. She looked at him as if she were seeing a flower for the first time. It made me even more angry with Jonny. He had a perfectly fine girl with him, yet he has to go and steal mine. 

Mine? I shake my head free of that thought, having absolutely no fucking clue where that came from. I nearly laugh out loud at the mere thought of Linley and I. 

"Everyone, this is Jonny Delark and his bandmate Kenzi, from the group The Young and Stupid," Linley introduces our lovely guests to everyone.

Tea lets out a gasp from her seat beside Ed around the fire. I roll my eyes, remembering how she was a fan of them as well. Great, another girl Jonny can try to steal the heart of with his bullshit poetry and greasy hair. Though part of me wishes he goes after Tea and leaves Linley alone; sorry Ed. 

"These are Zayn's bandmates," Linley gestures to the lads, who are all currently roasting hot dogs over the bonfire they never seem to leave.

She continues to make introductions to our large friend group that has joined Harry and I on our little weekend vacation. Jonny wears a cocky grin as he looks around the group, thinking he's so much better than all of us. 

I'd punch him square in the jaw if I knew Linley wouldn't beat the living shit out of me in return. Although at this moment, I'm honestly considering taking the chance. 

"It's lovely to meet you," Sable speaks up, giving a friendly smile to Jonny and Kenzi both, surprising me with her friendliness. I didn't receive this warm welcome when I first met her, that's for sure, "Sit down," She gestures to the open seats around the fire, which Jonny and Kenzi graciously take. 

Linley follows behind the two of them, sitting beside Jonny on one of the benches, leaving me to sit on the open lawn chair in between her and Harry. I don't even attempt to wear a pleasant look on my face as I slump down in my seat. The lads all give me confused looks.

Sable meets my eyes from across the fire, wearing an incredibly smug look that screams 'I told you so'. I roll my eyes and slip her the middle finger, letting her know loud and clear that Linley is not breaking my heart. For she has to have my heart in order to break it. 

Instead of getting the irritated response I was hoping for, she shoots me a sympathetic frown before returning her eyes to Linley and Jonny, watching them carefully. A flicker of hope ignites in my chest, knowing that if there were anyone to get Linley away from Jonny, it would be Sable. 

"Hey mate," Harry grabs my attention, causing me to look upon my best mate who hasn't been all that happy with me these past few days, "Is everything okay?" He asks, sounding rather concerned. 

I'm sure he's just incredibly happy that things don't seem to be going well between Linley and I. He wants me back on the anti-Linley side. Linley's flirtatious laughter rings out, making the anti-Linley side look more and more appealing. 

"It would be if I didn't have to deal with this tosser," I gesture to Jonny, not caring if he can see me. At this point I'm ready to do anything to get him to go. 

Harry's eyes flicker over to Jonny, harsh and critical as he studies him carefully. We both watch as he places a hand on Linley's knee as he laughs at something she says. I can just feel the heat boiling in the depths of my chest. 

Grumbling cuss words under my breath, I stare into the flames of the bonfire, being able to sympathize with it's angry flickers of heat. 

"Don't worry about him, he's such a phony," Harry nudges me with his knee, trying to be comforting but as I look up, I see the sympathy in his eyes, making me feel even worse about the situation.

Everyone can clearly see how ridiculously Linley is in love with him. 

I go back to glaring into the pit of the fire, wishing there could be some way I could push Jonny into it's bitter flames without landing myself in prison. I continue to plot terrible murders in my head when a voice pulls me from my thoughts, 

"Zayn,"

I look up to see Kenzi standing in front of me, smiling at me in an incredibly charming way, batting her eyelashes and digging her toe into the ground in a bashful way. 

"Could you roast me a hot dog?" She asks, pouting her lips in a rather seductive manner. 

The corners of my lips turn up at her flirtatious manner, knowing that same fire that sits in my chest has settled it's way into Kenzi's chest as well. I can see the fire beneath her light eyes. Her smile grows as we feel both Linley and Jonny's eyes glued to us. 

"Of course," I shoot her a cheeky grin in return, grabbing the roasting stick from her, making sure Linley watches the way our fingers touch one anothers. 

I stand up beside Kenzi, standing at the fire after Liam puts a hot dog at the end of the metal stick. She presses her shoulder against mine as we stand at the fire. The tension between Linley and my wrist tugs, causing me to pull slightly, but I pretend not to notice. 

"I feel like a high schooler," Kenzi whispers, shaking her head as she wears a sad smile.

I tilt my head back as laughter bubbles from my chest, feeling the exact same way. I've never felt so ridiculously jealous over a girl before. Usually it's the other way around - as in Summer's case. Flashbacks to how crazy she went over Mia being around me. 

Have I become Summer?

Feeling a tug from the handcuffs, I glance over mine and Kenzi's pressed together shoulder at Linley, wearing an innocent expression. She narrows her eyes and shoots me a dirty glare, causing my chest to swell with victory. Linley is most definitely jealous. 

I have to do everything in my power to keep myself from laughing hysterically. 

I continue to smile innocently at her as I turn back to face the fire, catching Kenzi's suppressed grin as well. 

"Hey mate," I hear a distinctive Irish accent beside me. I look up to see a rather serious faced Niall standing beside me at the fire, his back to everyone else in the group.

"What's up?" I ask, not having spent much time with Niall at all since I've been rather preoccupied with a certain stubborn girl the entire festival. I quite like spending time with Niall; he's good company to have around when you're feeling down, like at this moment. 

He glances over to Kenzi, biting his bottom lip as if he had something he had to say but didn't want Kenzi to hear. She catches on quickly, leaving to go get something to drink. I turn to face Niall, my eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

He takes a deep breath, shoving his hands deep inside pockets after running his fingers through his messy blonde hair. 

"I know it's your life and all - I'm not trying to sound like your dad or anything - I'm just looking out for everyone and - " Niall stumbles over his words nervously, cause me to fall deeper and deeper into confusion. 

"Niall, spit it out, yeah?" I chuckle nervously, not quite sure what he's getting on about. 

"I just... I don't think you should be flirting with Kenzi to piss Linley off. It's rather childish and immature and it's not going to solve anything..." He says in a hushed whisper, not loud enough for anyone else to hear besides me. 

Rather taken back, I glance at my mate in surprise, not at all expecting those words to come out of his mouth. He watches me, concern rushing through his light blue eyes as they watch me. 

"Thanks, mate, but I'm allowed to flirt with whomever I'd like to," I explain to him, speaking in a whisper as well, not wanting Linley to hear the little white lies I spew out for my friend, "Plus it's not like Linley's not doing the same thing," I mutter barely loud enough for him to hear, but unfortunately he does. 

Niall lets out a sigh, giving me an unamused look as he shakes his head. 

"Zayn.." He says lowly, scolding me as if I were a child. 

"Thanks Niall," I snap back, letting him know that I'm not going to discuss the matter any longer. 

Niall opens his mouth to continue the conversation despite my expression when a sharp tug comes from the handcuffs. I twist around quickly to Linley glaring at me yet again, sitting there with an expectant look on her face, as if she were waiting for me to say something to her. 

I feel as if I were about to explode with all the stress being put on me at this moment, with Niall and Linley both fighting for my attention, literally tugging me back and forth. I run my fingers through my hair as I let out a loud groan, causing everyone around the fire to stare at me. 

"Let's get drunk!" I announce, walking away from Niall, dragging Linley behind me as I make my way to the cooler full of booze. 

Louis and Mia cheer loudly, clearly already getting a start on their intoxication. The other lads don't look so enthused as they watch me chug an entire can of beer in a few seconds. 

fuck it.

*  *  *  *

I focus incredibly hard on walking one foot in front of the other. It doesn't help that Linley teeters all over the place, tipping me over as well. It's a miracle that the two of us haven't broken anything yet. 

Being surprisingly drunk myself, Kenzi wraps her arm around my shoulder, helping me move along, laughing at me as I try to convince her that I was incredibly sober - a complete lie. 

Linley insisted that she walk Jonny back to his campsite, being the reason we're walking around the festival grounds in the middle of the night when half the festival is fast asleep in their campers and tents. I couldn't very well stay behind, not that I would have wanted to even if I wasn't handcuffed to Linley. There's no way I'd ever leave Linley alone with this creep. 

We arrive at the tent and I let go of Kenzi, assuring her that I will be okay as she disappears into the tent, sluggish and tired herself. 

"Zayn," Linley moans, resting her head against my arm, "I'm tired," She whines, sounding so young and innocent that I can't help but to chuckle.

"You're free to sleep here," Jonny quickly jumps in to offer. I narrow my eyes and send him a glare, letting him know that there's no way in hell that that would ever happen. 

Linley looks up at me, pouting her lips as she begs to be put to bed right at this instant. I swear she's like a small child; stubborn and sleepy. Wrapping my arm around her shoulders, pulling her into my chest, I turn to Jonny,

"Thanks for the offer, but no thanks," I bitterly decline.

"Really, it's no trouble," Jonny ignorantly continues to persuade me, wearing an oblivious grin on his face, probably rather drunk himself as well. 

Linley moans dramatically, not letting me forget that she's very tired. I pat her on the head, assuring her that I have not forgotten, as I shake my head once more. 

"I'll carry her, it's fine," I tell him stubbornly.

"Absolutely not," Jonny shakes his head, being rather pushy with the matter, making the anger boil up in my chest. 

He holds open the door to the tent, waiting for me to usher Linley inside. Through the darkness, I can see Kenzi sitting at the edge of the bed, wearing a rather sorrowful expression on her face as she listens in on our argument. 

I shake my head, placing my hands on Linley's shoulders to direct her in the opposite direction, when Linley steps away from me, her eyes drooping shut as she drunkenly staggers around the place. 

"I need to fucking sleep," She grumbles, stumbling into the tent, dragging me behind. 

I don't even attempt to hide my displeasure as I let out an irritated groan. I follow closely behind Linley as she crawls into the large king sized bed in the middle of the tent, collapsing in the center of it immediately. 

Jonny pats me on the back as I stumble over my own feet, trying to keep up with Linley. I do all in my power not to punch him on the spot. 

*  *  *  *  

After at least fifteen minutes, snores can be heard from Jonny - who sleeps on the other side of Linley, much to my displeasure - blending in with the soft sounds coming from Linley's exhausted body. I can't quite fall asleep myself, stuck awake with my own thoughts. 

But just when I'm about to go spiralling down into slumber, Kenzi speaks up,

"Zayn?" She whispers from beside me - much to Jonny's displeasure. 

"Mhm?"

Once I make a noise, she sits up in bed, propping herself up with her elbows, turning to face me. My eyes take a moment to adjust to the darkness, but when they do, I turn to look up at Kenzi. 

She wears an incredibly distraught expression, her face twisted with stress and concern. She chews on her nails as she brings her knees to her chest, hugging them gently. 

"This really sucks," She says quietly, pain evident behind her words. 

As I watch this heartbroken girl, I can't believe how incredibly selfish I have been this entire evening. I've only been thinking of myself and Linley - thought it's kind of hard to think of anything else beside that pixie-like girl. I never once stopped to think about how she's feeling in this situation. 

"I've loved him from the moment I met him. There wasn't a doubt in my mind. And he knows that. He has to. Yet, he goes and does this," She says quietly, her voice shaking ever-so-slightly as she casts her gaze upon him nuzzled up beside Linley. 

My eyes watch the girl carefully as her chin quivers, her eyes brimmed with tears and my heart breaks for her. 

"He probably doesn't know," I finally speak, softly and gently, "Because if he did, he'd be wrapped around your finger in a heartbeat," I comfort her, reaching out to pat her on the knee.

She wears a sad smile as she glances down at me, gratitude evident behind her eyes. 

"Love is one of the most terrifying things in the world, you know. You've got to understand that there are some people who can't yet take that leap. Give it time," I tell her, knowing very well how absolutely terrifying it can be to be so in love with someone. 

The fact that a single person can consume every little inch of your brain and cause you to lose sleep, lose appetite has got to be one of the biggest mysteries of the world. And when you find that one, it's absolutely terrifying. I saw it in Harry when he fell in love with Olivia, and Louis was just as afraid when he fell for Mia. 

It's unavoidable. 

"You don't think they're in love, do you?" She asks, barely a whisper. I can tell it took all her courage to even voice that thought aloud. 

The mere possibility of Linley and Jonny being in love makes my stomach twist and my mouth go dry. 

"No," I promise her, trying to assure myself just as much as I am her. 

Kenzi lets out a relieved, breathy laugh, a smile completely transforming her face. At that moment I wish Jonny knew how lucky he was. 

"What about you, Zayn?" She asks, resting her chin on top of her kneecaps, staring down at me with a pleasant smile on her lips .

Furrowing my brows together, I look at her in confusion. I had not expected her to switch the direction of the conversation towards me. 

"What do you mean?" I ask, my voice becoming scratchy and gruff as the exhaustion starts to settle in my bones. 

"Your love life," She prompts, the corners of her lips turning up slightly, as girls always do when speaking to another about their love situation. 

I shift my gaze back up at the cloth tent ceiling, chewing on my bottom lip with careful concentration. I return back to where my mind had been wandering since I laid down in this bed. The thoughts that have kept me wide awake in a terrifying self-realization. Everything had hit me like a truck out of nowhere, turning me against myself. I couldn't ignore it even if I tried.

It becomes harder to breathe the longer I sit there and let my thoughts run wild. 

"Me?" I pause to take a deep breath, closing my eyes and take that blind leap into the most terrifying territory out there, "I'm in love with Linley." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

an: fkdlsa;fjdksafdsafdjfksa so that just happened and i can't stop smiling like an idiot wowowow i've been waiting to write this chapter for a long time now

so zayn can no longer ignore it all. he's admitted it to himself fjkdsfa he loves linley <3 aw aw aw i hope all you zinley fans are as happy as i am!

this chapter is dedicated to @flippantdevilmaycare bc she has been with me since the beginning when inspirations was just a little baby and has been sort of my right hand man whenever i need help. she left for a bit, but has returned and i couldn't be happier <3 

leave your thoughts, i'm sure you all have lots of pent up emotions [or perhaps that's just me... awkward...] fjdksladsa please leave a million comments if you wish! i want to hear each and every thought you have about zinley ok?

love always,

perksofbeingaweirdo

ps. if you aren't already, you should follow me on instagram @moniquescheidler and on 8tracks @macklemonique i'd love you forever if you did!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Round 2 By Lexi

Fanfiction

2.6K 63 22
I'm ur everyday guy... everyday 22 year old... just an everyday cousin... everyday Andy... just an everyday babysitter. My cousin Liam has to visit m...
Submit By Emma

Fanfiction

7K 371 27
When Masters Harry and Zayn find their marriage and life as they knew it poisoned by the very thing they had invited in, the twist of forbidden love...
111K 4.2K 33
Niall is forced to move to Bradford with his mom and alcoholic dad. He and his mom get beaten daily, and have no way to redirect the pain. Niall sign...
408K 17.1K 39
When there's a problem in your way, use your fists. That's all Zayn Malik has known his whole life. He was from the poorest and roughest end of Bradf...