Commitments, Changes and a wh...

By PaigeDaniels

The third and final book in the 'Sugar, Spice and a Pinch of Fantasy' series. (Spoiler Alert!) Set a few year... More

Authors Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Not An Update, Just Questions...
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Not an update
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Epilogue
Author's Note and some questions and some answers...
Preview 1
Review

Chapter 15

10.1K 104 42
By PaigeDaniels

---------- Chapter 15 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hold on to Haden’s hand tightly as he leads me into the clearing. There’s nothing around me, but for some reason, I feel cold and like I’m being watched.

It’s obvious from his expression that Haden’s seeing something I’m not. He wanted to give me closure, so wherever we are must be the rift between the world of the living and the world of the dead.

               “Don’t worry! Nothing’s going to happen to you,” Haden coos, rubbing my shoulder. “I need you to concentrate on your father and your brother,” he continues once we reach a nondescript rock.

He sits me down, and crouches down beside me, looking up at me expectantly. I take a deep breath, close my eyes and picture dad and Connor.

Time passes and eventually I’m aware of Haden’s thumb wiping away the tears I hadn’t even realized I had shed.

               “Babe, I want you to trust me and keep your eyes closed. I want you to remember your father and brother healthy, not the way they looked when they got sent here, alright?” Haden whispers.

I nod my head tightly, resisting the urge to peek. I know he’s right! But there’s this morbid curiosity that is trying to compel me to peek.

               “Are they…here?” I squeak.

               “Yes,” Haden whispers.

I take a deep breath, trying to slow down my racing heart.

Without thinking about it, I hold out my free hand, wanting to hold their hands. I feel a tingle in my palm, but I can’t feel anything solid. The air around me gets colder and I feel tendrils of fear grab me. With a sickening feeling, I realize there are probably tons of spirits around me now.

               “Dad?” I whisper, my voice breaking.

               “Skye, your father is here. He’s sitting opposite you but you can’t hear him. So I’m going to act as the middle-man, alright?” Haden explains patiently as if worried I’ll freak out.

I nod my head, tightening my grip on his hand.

               “Hi baby girl.”

It’s sort of Haden’s voice. But not at the same time. It’s a little thinner, a little more emotionless.

               “Hi dad,” I whisper, the tears beginning again. “I miss you.”

               “I miss you too, baby girl. But don’t be sad. You have to carry on with your life. And you have to be strong for your mother and sister. Can you do that for me?”

               “Yes,” I mumble, my lips trembling. “But mum thinks I’m the reason you’re dead. She thinks…I’m a jinx or something. She made me leave the room…I wasn’t there when Connor was… I knew! I should have done something!” I begin sobbing.

Haden’s firm arms wrap around me, holding me tight.

               “Your mother is just afraid, baby girl. It’s alright. She’ll come around.”

I nod my head.

               “I…I don’t get it! Why did you have to die?!” I wail.

Haden – speaking for dad – chuckles. “I didn’t choose it. But it was my time. And I was lucky enough to have Haden lead me here.”

Hold up!

Haden transported dad’s soul?

               “Hay…you…if you didn’t transport his soul, he would be alive!” I accuse sharply, pushing Haden away from me.

               “Baby girl!” comes dad’s stern admonition. “He did good. He was doing his job and he made things extremely comfortable for me. I owe him a lot. Apologize to him.”

I lick my lips, taking a deep breath.

               “Hay?”

               “Don’t sweat it. I understand,” Haden says in his normal voice. “Connor would like to speak to you now.”

I feel a tingly feeling on my forehead and I understand it as my father’s goodbye.

               “Bye dad,” I whisper.

               “Hi sis.”

Once again Haden’s voice takes on a different property. Less tenor than his usual voice, but closer to what Connor sounded like.

               “I’m so sorry Connor!”

               “Don’t be sorry, Skye. You couldn’t have done anything.”

               “I should have tried. I should have got a doctor in sooner…if I had…maybe…” I break off, biting my lower lip to stop myself from crying.

Haden’s arm locks around my waist, probably trying to tell me that he’s here for me without having to break out of character.

               “Skye, if you had gotten a doctor to come early and if I did survive, I’d be miserable. I’d be disabled for the rest of my life. It’s better this way.”

               “How is it better?! You’ve left us!” I accuse bitterly.

               “It wasn’t my choosing, Skye. But it happened. Either you look on the bright side and pick yourself up or you continue moping. Either way, it’s not going to change the fact that it happened!”

               “I’m not moping…I’m grieving!” I mutter.

               “I know, sis, I know. I’m touched by how much you do love dad and I, I really am. But you’ve grieved enough. Don’t make those around you suffer now. Your friends are worried about you.”

               “I know,” I mumble.

               “So get out of here and go back where you belong. Be happy, smile. Don’t be sad over our lack of future, be happy for all the times we did have.”

I begin crying silently again.

               “Can I come see you again?” I ask.

               “That depends. This isn’t healthy for you Skye, nor is it good for Haden. You’ll be alright, kid. You’re strong. Remember I’ll be watching over you. So be good Skye. Also, dad’s watching you too. So if you intend to do…naughty stuff…well, be prepared.”

Haden chuckles on his own accord and I immediately know he changed Connor’s words.

A small smile forms on my lips and I nod my head.

               “I love you, Con. And goodbye.”

               “Love you more, sis. Take care of yourself!”

Another tingling sensation comes over me. Connor must have just hugged me.

I remain seated on the rock for a few minutes before Haden gently helps me to my feet. “We should leave.”

               “Okay,” I whisper, leaning against him. “Can I open my eyes now?”

               “Not yet. Just trust me. I won’t let you fall,” he promises.

***

               “Alright, babe, open your eyes,” Haden whispers.

I blink, almost being blinded by the bright morning sun. I look up at Haden’s concerned face and give him a genuine smile.

               “You have no idea how happy it makes me to see you smile,” he says, stroking my cheek.

I wrap my arms around his waist, burying my face against his chest.

               “Thank you. So, so, so much!”

In response, he kisses the top of my head, rubbing my back gently.

              ­“You don’t have to thank me. Your smile is thanks enough. I finally feel like I can breathe again. It hurt me to see you so sad, Skye,” he admits softly.

I kiss his chest, tightening my hold around his waist.

               “I love you.”

               “Love you more, kinks!”

I giggle, swatting his hand lightly as he pulls away. He takes my hand, interlacing our fingers and leads me back towards the town square.

               “So what’s the plan?” he asks, absent mindedly, walking down the row of shops.

               “Can we just hang out?”

He grins at me, his face breath-takingly beautiful.

               “Perfect plan! Shall we just lie in bed all day?” he continues, winking at me.

I blush, smiling in spite myself. “Did you not hear Connor?! They’re watching!”

He chuckles lightly, slinging an arm over my shoulder. “Well, you are kinda kinky. Shouldn’t this turn you on?”

               “Haden!” I hiss, pinching his arm.

               “I’m sorry! Relax! I was only kidding. And so was he, by the way!”

I sigh in relief. That’s one less thing I need to worry about.

               “Come on! Race you to the palace!” he calls, setting off at a lope.

I blink in surprise for a moment, trying to figure out which direction to go. Then – like the idiot I am – I realize it would be easiest just to chase after him.

He glances back at me, a small worry crease between his brows. He walks back to me to make sure I’m alright.

               “Skye? What’s the matter, love?” he asks gently, cupping my jaw.

Formulating a plan, I look as sad as possible.

               “Babe, come on, you can tell me,” he coaxes.

I shake my head, jutting my lips out a little.

Haden immediately pulls me into a hug, holding me tightly.

               “Was it something I said, babe? Do you not want to race? Do you want to go back to Earth instead?” he asks, kissing me.

I shake my head again.

               “I…my leg hurts!” I whisper.

He crouches down, instantly in his serious mode. He examines my legs carefully before standing back up, looking perplexed.

               “I don’t see a problem. You seem to be able to put pressure on both feet,” he murmurs.

               “It’s the souls of my feet. It hurts to stand up,” I continue.

And just like I knew he would, Haden does the romantic thing. He lifts me up into his arms, carrying me easily.

I can’t help but to smile a little. He’s too sweet.

Once we’re closer to the palace, I begin wriggling in his grasp.

               “What’s the matter?” he asks, attentive as ever.

He comes to a stop.

               “I feel sick, Hay,” I whisper.

He sets me down on the ground, pressing his palm to my forehead.

               “Can you get me some water, please?” I beg.

Haden stands up and walks away from me. Seriously, do I have the sweetest boyfriend ever or what?

The moment his back is turned I scramble to my feet. I set off towards the palace at a mad dash.

               “Hey fiancée!” I call over my shoulder, still running. “Race you! Last one to the room has to strip!”

He chuckles, shaking his head before chasing after me.

God, please let me get to his room first!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
213K 8.2K 30
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK🌝🌚
21.7K 1.3K 19
As May approaches, a recovering Allie decides whether or not the life of a queen is right for her, and who, if anyone, she wants at her side. But ki...
1.6M 106K 25
#Book-2 in Lost Royalty series ( CAN BE READ STANDALONE ) Ekaksh Singh Ranawat The callous heartless , sole heir of Ranawat empire, which is spread...