Chapter 15

---------- Chapter 15 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hold on to Haden’s hand tightly as he leads me into the clearing. There’s nothing around me, but for some reason, I feel cold and like I’m being watched.

It’s obvious from his expression that Haden’s seeing something I’m not. He wanted to give me closure, so wherever we are must be the rift between the world of the living and the world of the dead.

               “Don’t worry! Nothing’s going to happen to you,” Haden coos, rubbing my shoulder. “I need you to concentrate on your father and your brother,” he continues once we reach a nondescript rock.

He sits me down, and crouches down beside me, looking up at me expectantly. I take a deep breath, close my eyes and picture dad and Connor.

Time passes and eventually I’m aware of Haden’s thumb wiping away the tears I hadn’t even realized I had shed.

               “Babe, I want you to trust me and keep your eyes closed. I want you to remember your father and brother healthy, not the way they looked when they got sent here, alright?” Haden whispers.

I nod my head tightly, resisting the urge to peek. I know he’s right! But there’s this morbid curiosity that is trying to compel me to peek.

               “Are they…here?” I squeak.

               “Yes,” Haden whispers.

I take a deep breath, trying to slow down my racing heart.

Without thinking about it, I hold out my free hand, wanting to hold their hands. I feel a tingle in my palm, but I can’t feel anything solid. The air around me gets colder and I feel tendrils of fear grab me. With a sickening feeling, I realize there are probably tons of spirits around me now.

               “Dad?” I whisper, my voice breaking.

               “Skye, your father is here. He’s sitting opposite you but you can’t hear him. So I’m going to act as the middle-man, alright?” Haden explains patiently as if worried I’ll freak out.

I nod my head, tightening my grip on his hand.

               “Hi baby girl.”

It’s sort of Haden’s voice. But not at the same time. It’s a little thinner, a little more emotionless.

               “Hi dad,” I whisper, the tears beginning again. “I miss you.”

               “I miss you too, baby girl. But don’t be sad. You have to carry on with your life. And you have to be strong for your mother and sister. Can you do that for me?”

               “Yes,” I mumble, my lips trembling. “But mum thinks I’m the reason you’re dead. She thinks…I’m a jinx or something. She made me leave the room…I wasn’t there when Connor was… I knew! I should have done something!” I begin sobbing.

Haden’s firm arms wrap around me, holding me tight.

               “Your mother is just afraid, baby girl. It’s alright. She’ll come around.”

I nod my head.

               “I…I don’t get it! Why did you have to die?!” I wail.

Haden – speaking for dad – chuckles. “I didn’t choose it. But it was my time. And I was lucky enough to have Haden lead me here.”

Hold up!