The Deal

By badbrits

All Harry wanted was to get over his best friend's girl. All Nova wanted was to get over her traumatic past. ... More

Summary
The Doorstep
The Back Door
The Red Bat
The Happiness Tea
The Spilled Sugar
The Swallow Feather
The Lanterns
The Thunder
The Yellow Chrysanthemums
The Eye of Horus
The Crow
The Hair Pin
The Falling Leaf
The Séance
The Rotten Apple
The Ringing Bells
The Black Cat
The Unluckiest Friday
The Hex
The Red Roses
The Acorn
The Broken Glass
The Tea Reading
The Magpie
The Mugwort
The First Star
The Snow
The Witch Ball
The Howling Dog
The Black Ribbon
The Butterfly
The Scrying Mirror
The Honey Bee
The Epilogue: The Falling Star
Q & A

The Evil Eye

18.8K 631 647
By badbrits

Harry

"Did you see what that Roux girl was wearing today?"

"Yeah, it looked like something out of my grandma's closet!"

"It probably came from her grandma's closet! They're both so weird!"

"I hear that her grandma talks to dead people. And Mrs. Jenkins caught Nova yelling at her mother the other day."

"Didn't her mum like, die?"

"Exactly!"

I have to walk away from the group of teenage girls and their high-pitched voices. They come to the gym almost every day, go on the elliptical for maybe twenty minutes and then spend the rest of the time talking shit about someone or something.

But, this is the first time I've heard them bring up Nova.

I can't say I'm surprised, nor can I say this is the first time I've heard people talk about Nova or her grandma.

I mean with their Halloween shop and their crystals and tarots and magic eight-balls and shit they're kind of asking for it in a town like this.

People in this town just love to speculate and talk about how the two can see dead people and cast curses and predict things before they actually happen.

Half the town believes they are witches and the other half think they're certifiable.

Me? I literally couldn't care less.

I just ignore the whispers I hear every now and then, never interjecting to stand up for Nova and never interjecting to agree with their rude remarks either.

But, that doesn't mean I like to hear about it.

Nova may be a little weird and her Nan a little frightening, but I personally don't care. They could be actual witches and I still wouldn't have an opinion.

Everyone's got something.

The first day I moved to town I knew about that family, about her mum and about their superstitious lifestyle. It was the first thing the realtor talked to me about after I signed my lease. Funny how he only brought it up after I had already signed the contract.

That's what I get for moving into a small town where paint drying could make the news.

Even when I became Nova's trainer I was warned that she may be a little weird, warned not to get on her bad side.

But, again, it doesn't bother me because it's none of my business.

Yeah, she can be strange as hell and I may not agree with her beliefs or superstitions, nor do I even believe in ghosts. But, I don't really need to either.

That's the beauty of our arrangement.

Still, though, those girls and their judgmental attitudes really get on my nerves, so I walk away before I tell them to use the equipment or get the hell out. If there is one thing I've learned over the last hellish five years, it's to take my anger out on inanimate objects, not people.

But, I've barely gotten in five punches on the punching bag when I see my boss walking towards me.

Mr. Zappia is a stout Italian man with little manners and a lot of love for money. He's got more hair on his back than he does on his head and a mustache that could rival any porn star or pedophile.

"Just the man I wanted to see," I stop my movements, wiping the sweat from my brow and pushing back a few hairs that had fallen out of my bun, "What happened with your last few appointments with Ms. Roux?"

And I just fucking knew he would get on to me about the cancellations. Every session with her is close to 100 pounds and Mr. Zappia loves the dough she brings in. I'm guessing he also loves her ass by how much he stares at it, though I'm sure the money is his main concern.

I shrug, my chest heaving from the workout, "I don't know, she's been cancelling them."

By the quirk in his brow I can tell that he doesn't like my answer, but I don't have much else to tell him. Nova has cancelled our last two appointments for no other reason than 'personal problems.'

She looked fine when I ran into her the other day at the store, so I assume she isn't sick.

But, I haven't been bothered to ask for details.

"Well, make sure she actually shows up to your appointment on Thursday. We need that money."

I refrain from rolling my eyes at him and stop myself from snapping off the finger he has pointed at my chest. Forget the fact that I have personal sessions with three other people, one person cancels and it's suddenly the end of the world.

Now, I'm starting to believe this lecture has more to do with his perviness towards her than the money she brings in.

"Fine. I'll just force her to come in. Because I have complete control over her decisions."

He is so self-absorbed that he can't even tell that I'm being sarcastic, nodding his head in appreciation, "That's all well and good, but, I'm also going to need you teaching a kid's class on Wednesdays from now on."

My response is a knee-jerk reaction.

"What? No fucking way, man. That's Morgan's job," I try to keep my temper in check. So I say the last part in a strained voice, "I hate children."

Mr. Zappia only scoffs, shaking his head, "Nobody likes children, they're gross and loud. But, Morgan is taking classes at the university now and has to give up some of her classes, so the rest of you are picking up her slack. No exceptions."

"That's bullshit. You can't just-"

"It's an extra 250 pounds a week."

"Okay, fine."

He laughs like it's the funniest thing in the world –holding money over my head to get me to do anything he likes- before tottering away. I would dropkick him so fast if I didn't need the cash so badly.

Living in an apartment here would be fine if I had some financial help or a roommate, but with my family not speaking to me, it's impossible. Not to mention, I have also been saving up for a new camera and this extra cash may actually have me ordering it sooner than I planned.

It's a passion of mine I have never pursued because who knows if I am any good at it? It's just a hobby when I have free time I know that there is no actual money in photography. No real career.

And I can't afford that right now.

No longer in the mood to work out, I slip off my gloves, stuff them in my bag, and head to the showers. Every time I finish a conversation with Mr. Zappia I always feel slimier than I do from the actual work-out.

The girls are still their babbling about something or other, but I ignore them, ready to get the hell out of here and away from these people

It isn't until I am out of the shower, digging around my gym bag for a fresh shirt when I spot it. I'm shaking my head in amusement and slight annoyance before I even pull it out and get a good look at it.

It's a large, gaudy thing: A circular, flat, dark blue piece of glass with what looks like an eye painted on top of it. I have no idea what it is, but I know instantly who put it there.

How in the world does she slip these things in without me noticing?

Me: What the hell is this and how did you get into my gym bag? I haven't seen you in days.

I include a picture of the thing, setting it down gingerly on the bench before getting dressed while waiting for her reply. But, I don't have to wait long because my phone buzzes just as I am slipping on a shirt, a smile instantly lighting up my face at her reply.

Nutty Nova: I have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't put that in there.

Me: And here I thought you never lied.

Her reply comes one after another and has me laughing out loud like a maniac in the otherwise empty locker room.

Nutty Nova: I'm not lying...

Nutty Nova: But... that looks like an evil eye talisman. Those originated in the Middle East to ward off evil spirits or anyone that may wish you ill. It's supposed to protect you against anything harmful, including the evil eye curse. Which is cast on anyone that receives an evil look from an enemy.

Nutty Nova: I mean I don't know how that go in your bag, but good thing it did, right? I say you keep it or wear it as an amulet for protection. Idk, just my opinion.

And she may be utterly crazy and I may not believe in any of this stuff, but I don't see how anyone can make snap judgments about her without even knowing her.

She slipped this thing –even though it is kind of creepy- into my bag for protection. I never asked her to do it and it may be a tad embarrassing, but I know that she is just trying to lookout for people in her own way.

It's still a little weird, but I can't be mad at her for it.

A part of me wants to toss this thing in the trash because it's so creepy, but I find myself placing it back in my bag and zipping it up before heading out. I don't exactly know what I need protection against, but it can't hurt.

Besides, I'd feel a little bit guilty if I tossed it in the bin. It has nothing to do with believing the superstition.

I'm pulling out my phone again as I make my way back to my place, that smile still glued to my lips.

Me: All right, Nutty Nova. Whatever you say.

Me: You better come to our session on Thursday. You can't miss another day or you'll fall behind.

I don't mention that my boss is hounding me about it. Though I know if I told her that she would definitely show up.

I've only known the girl three months and I really don't know too much about her besides the fact that she is crazy good in bed and is a little weird. But, I do know she doesn't like being an inconvenience to anyone.

Hell, the first time I trained her she kept apologizing for not having endurance or a lot of muscle strength even though that's what I get paid to do.

The girl is almost too nice for her own good.

It isn't until I am walking into my lobby when I get another text.

Nutty Nova: Make me. (;

And way too hot for her own good.

Me: Oh, I plan on it.

And I do plan on it. Many times over. It's been way too long since I've had her and my hand is getting tired from making up for it.

As soon as I unlock the door to my place and push my way in, a big black ball of fluff is winding its way around my legs and meowing it's little head off. I instantly drop my stuff, slamming the door shut, and scooping Hitchcock into my arms.

She is my favorite thing on this planet, hands down.

And also the reason I never bring Nova to my house for our little rendezvous.

Because she is a black cat and Nova would nearly have a heart attack if they crossed paths.

Better for both sides, then if they never meet. But, if I had to choose between the two, my cat would win every time.

"How was your day today, Hitchcock? Did you miss me?" And I snuggle my face into her fur and revel in the soft vibrations from her purring and it's absolutely embarrassing and pathetic, but I don't care.

She is perfect and needs to know how much I love her.

I found Hitchcock stuck in a gutter just a month after I moved here. She was just barely two months old and I nearly took my arm off trying to get her out of that thing. She had worms and fleas and was malnourished and I spent every waking moment nursing her back to health.

And now she is happy and healthy and forever grateful and she is my baby.

She meows at me and I set her on the ground, petting her gingerly, "You hungry? I bet you are. I got some new treats for you-"

"Do you always talk to your cat like she is a baby?"

And that sultry low voice has my heart dropping to the pit of my stomach and I scramble backwards, falling on my bum and looking up to confirm my fear.

The jet black hair straightened all the way down to her waist, the silky smooth chocolate skin, the warm caramel eyes, the full lips, the tall curvy figure...

Zoe.

The girl I have been madly in love with for months.

Also known as Liam's girlfriend.

Who also comes walking up behind her, a matching amused look on his face.

"Didn't know you were that desperate for a girlfriend, mate."

And Zoe laughs along with him and honestly kill me now because I have a reputation to uphold, but a weakness for Hitchcock and she was never supposed to see this and how the fuck did they get in here.

"How the fuck did you guys get in here?"

Zoe laughs lightly, the sound like heaven to my ears before bending down to give me a hand. And I really wish she wouldn't do that because her strappy top is super low cut and I'm trying really hard here.

"A key under the mat?" She helps pull me up and it's hard for me to look her in the eye, "Not very clever, Hazza."

I shrug and try not to cringe as Liam flings his arm around her shoulders, pulling her slender frame into his side.

To be fair, I was the one who met Zoe first at some party just a few months after I had met Liam. I made the mistake of introducing the two and before I could even get her phone number the two were hooking up in the bathroom.

And the rest is history.

Despite my best efforts, my attraction for her witty attitude and kindness has only made me gravitate towards her since.

Don't get me wrong, Liam is my best friend. But, they are polar opposites and I have no idea what attracts her to him.

I feel uncomfortable just standing there, so I pick up my cat and joke, "Hitchcock is supposed to be my watch-cat. She didn't scare you guys off?"

Liam laughs, his hand sliding down to her waist, "Please, as soon as we walked in she was rubbing all over us in welcome."

I pretend to tsk at her, setting her back down on the ground and motioning for them to sit down in my living room, though they had already made themselves at home.

"So, what are you two doing here?" I ask, sitting down in my pristine white arm chair as the two of them sit on my matching couch.

It's odd having someone in my place because really the only person who ever visits is Liam and occasionally Zoe. Hell, I don't even spend a lot of time here.

I like to keep my place as clean and minimalist as possible. Which is nice because it always looks like I just moved in, but also bad because with no other roommates or photos or much decoration at all it can feel a bit suffocating.

At least I have Hitchcock.

It's Zoe who speaks first and though I try to remain non-chalant I am hanging onto her every word, "Well, the hospital called me down here for a neural consultation for a patient and it's a bit more serious than I expected so I might stay in town for a few days to monitor them."

"And I figured I would come with and annoy the hell out of you for a bit."

My laugh is strained because Zoe is elbowing Liam in the side and laughing at his joke fondly and they make me nauseous.

"Are you guys staying at a hotel?"

And Zoe and Liam glance at each other before looking at me and –oh, hell no- I know exactly what they are going to ask and there is no way on Earth I am letting them stay at my place. I don't care that Liam is my best friend and Zoe is... well, Zoe. I cannot handle them in close quarters for days.

It's Zoe who takes the lead, her voice soft and pleading, "Well, we can't really afford a hotel right now since we just moved into our new place and I could make the commute but it would take almost two hours each way... So, we were hoping to stay here..."

And I am shaking my head before she even finishes her sentence. I'm a private guy as it is and they are asking a lot of me. There is only one bathroom and the spare room is more like a closet and I never have any food in the house.

But, more importantly, I would have to witness Liam and Zoe's PDA every day all day?

Hell no, I'm not a masochist.

"Oh, please, Harry," Zoe leans forward in her seat, actually begging me now, eyes large and innocent, "Please, it's only for three days – four at the most! I can make you breakfast and pack you lunches and please. We would owe you big time! Liam and I-"

"Fine."

The world is out of my mouth before I even realize it and all I want to do is swallow it back up, but she was giving me puppy-dog eyes and I love her too much to make good decisions.

And damn them.

Zoe squeals happily, jumping out of her seat before whisking me into a surprise hug. I nearly choke on my own spit from surprise, barely having enough time to wrap an arm around her waist and revel in her cinnamon scent before she is pulling away.

Saying yes is nearly worth that hug alone, but it's completely ruined when she turns around to hold Liam in the same embrace. But, she also gives him a hard sloppy kiss on the mouth that I didn't get.

I'm gonna be sick.

"Thanks, mate. Appreciate it." Liam laughs as Zoe sits in his lap, snuggling up to him.

And I really don't know how much more of their affection I can take and it's only been an hour, how am I supposed to handle four days of this? My heart is aching in my chest and I feel as if I have been stabbed and I am really not used to feeling this way.

It's usually the girls I hook up with that get all emotional and jealous over my other flings, not the other way around. And I never used to care.

Maybe Nova is onto something, karma is a bitch.

But, this isn't a fling. They've been together for two years, they moved in together. Zoe has been hinting at marriage.

That thought alone has my stomach bottoming out and right then Zoe whispers something into Liam's ear that makes a wolfish grin curl up his face and it's honestly too much for me.

I shoot up from my chair so abruptly that they both turn to look at me in shock.

"I just remembered that I had plans tonight," I am heading towards the door before either of them can protest, "The guest room is the last door on the right and there are towels in the cupboard in the hallway. Make yourselves at home."

Like they haven't already.

I am slipping on my boots, grabbing my coat, and saying goodbye to Hitchcock before the couple can protest at all.

And I didn't really have plans tonight but I am hoping that she is at home and not at the shop, and whatever personal issues she had been dealing with have been dealt with.

Because it's time she holds up the end of her bargain.

The path to her house is a long one, but one that I have well memorized. And the images of Zoe kissing Liam, his arm around her, them laughing together has only riled me up more.

So, by the time I have made it up to her front walk and up the cobblestone path I am craving her soft flesh, her gentle touch to calm me down. To distract me.

She answers on the fourth knock and I nearly moan as soon as her door swings open.

The sun has barely set but she is already in her pajamas -a practically transparent blue negligee that nearly has me foaming at the mouth.

I drink in her curvy figure hungrily –her long toned legs, broad freckled hips, thin waist, and the large swell of her breasts.

She might as well be naked.

And she will be in a few minutes.

She recognizes the look in my eyes instantly, only really one reason for me showing up unannounced and her cheeks flush a delicious pink and her stormy blue eyes darken and she opens the door a little wider.

"Were you expecting me?" I gesture towards her scantily-clad nightgown, my voice husky and my chest heaving.

She simply bites her lip, a smirk tugging up at one end as she shrugs lightly.

"I just had a feeling."

And a wolfish grin slides up my lips as I step into her home, causing her to take a step back, slamming the door shut behind me with my foot.

Nova's oddities may freak me out sometimes, but looking at her in the see-through nightgown she put on just because she had a feeling I might show up, well I have never been more grateful.

"You have no idea how much I want to slam you against this wall and fuck you right here in this foyer." I growl, all thoughts of the couple in my home doing who knows what in my guest room out of my mind.

Nova is the only thought in my head now.

And the next words that drip from her lips like smooth honey have me bounding towards her and doing just that.

"Then, prove it."

_______________

Just a little peak into Harry's mind. There will be much more Hova action in the next chapter if you catch my drift. (;

What did you think of Zoe? Of Harry and his thoughts about Nova? Predicitions?

As always, Nova's outfit (the negligee) Will be on my insta!

VOTE + COMMENT

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.7K 162 27
Elise, a 17 year old girl gets "found" as a model by Gigi Hadid. She goes from a nobody living in Michigan to a worldwide model. She will meet amazin...
11.1K 900 19
she wanted to make her place in the world. he wanted to grab a beer every night. they both had one thing in common: they liked to write. and so they...
1.7K 55 4
You decided the ending fate of you two's 3 year long relationship. But now that it's gone, why are you the one who's sad and harry is perfectly fine...
325 3 41
When you feel lost, and that no one can find you, especially not yourself, not with how lost you are in your head. What happens when the person you'...