Love And Honour (Book 2)

By randomthoughts96

Nothing has gone as planned. Logan of the Usani family had every intention of persuading the powerful Ricell... More

Author's Note
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Author's Note
Loyalty Or Honour

Chapter XII

8.4K 727 14
By randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Dawn comes around slowly. Her eyes flicker open and rapidly close. The sunlight burns her eyes. Her head pounds. She groans as she slowly stretches out her limbs. They protest with a dull ache but she ignores the foreign feeling and stretches until the ache numbs. Again she attempts to open her eyes but this time by only a fraction. Another groan escapes her throat.

"Looks like sleeping beauty has awoken." A male voice comments, his tone humorous. Dawn rolls onto her side and frowns at him. His mouth tweaks up into a friendly smirk. "Took you long enough." Dawn covers her face with her hand as the sunlight continues to stream into the room. Through the gaps in her fingers she surveys the room. It is small, light and airy. A few clothes sit in a pile in the corner of the room. A chair sits by the bed. This is not her room.

"Where am I?" She asks, her voice coming out thick. He takes a seat in the chair and holds out a glass of water. "The light..." she trails off. She takes the offered drink. He stands and leans over her and draws the curtains closed. He takes his seat again and leans back. He looks tired with dark bags hanging under his slightly dulled blue eyes.

"I think the better question is; what happened?" He ruffles his hair and pulls a face. "Dawn," he sighs deeply, "I found you on the outskirts of the forest, unconscious. Tommy was growling and refused to let me near you. I had to get Frederick to come so we could hold him off while I got you."

"I am sorry."

He continues as if she has not spoken, "You have been asleep for over sixteen hours and that is from when I found you. What happened?" He raises his eyebrows at her.

Dawn slowly eases herself up and sits on the bed. "So this is your room?" She smiles softly and he sighs. "Just answering my question. Thank you for looking after me, you do not look like you have slept."

"That does not matter. I could not wake you up, I really feel as if you owe me an explanation."

Dawn opens her mouth and shuts it, gaping like a goldfish. How does she explain what happened? Should she tell a story, true or false? She is saved from answering for a moment as Frederick enters the room. He is wearing his glasses and he pushes them up his nose when he sees her.

"She has awoken." He comments. "Benjamin, give her some space." Benjamin stands up and paces to the door and back. Frederick shakes his head. "Sorry, he is overreacting." Dawn smothers a giggle at the twins switching from their usual characters.

"I am not overreacting, she was unconscious and in the forest, alone. I have a right to know why." Benjamin shoots back. Dawn takes a sip of her drink.

"But now she is awake and in our home. She will soon leave and go back to her life. Nothing to overreact about now is there?" Frederick quips back. Benjamin glares at his twin.

"Dawn!" Benjamin turns to her and Dawn shrinks back at the irritation covering his face. He softens his voice, "I was worried about you, please tell me what happened." As she remains silent his mouth hardens. "Was it anything to do with the Usani's in our land?"

Frederick rolls his eyes and sits himself down at the foot of the bed. Dawn gulps.

"I do not know. Tommy ran away from me last night and so I followed him. I think I saw a man in the forest and then everything went black. I do not know anything else. I am sorry." She finishes the glass of water and holds out the empty glass to Frederick. He takes it. "Thank you for looking after me." She slips of off the bed and gently touches his arm as she passes him.

Benjamin frowns but a warning look from Frederick prevents him from stopping her. However he does follow her downstairs and to the door. "Was this anything to do with the letter I gave to Lord Wolfe?"

Dawn hesitates and shakes her head. "No, I do not believe it would be. Perhaps I tripped and hit my head; the man could have been a delusion." She smiles softly before leaving. It does not take long for her dog, Tommy, to appear and trot by her heel. She pats his head.

Benjamin does not believe her and he heads back inside to grab his boots and his coat.

○ ○ ○

"We had nothing to do with any of this." Sparrow protests angrily. Wolfe places a hand on her shoulder. He does this to restrain her while her anger rolls off her in waves. "Are you accusing me of going back on my word? Are you sure you want to do that?" Her green eyes slowly move from one accuser to the next. Lord Kier grits his teeth, his body shaking with rage. Her eyes pierce through him. If looks could kill he would be incinerated. "Well, speak or I will name you all cowards."

Lady Aileen steps forward, her face transformed into a horrendous snarl. "Show respect child if you wish to remain intact." Sparrow steps forward so they stand toe to toe, face to face, only inches apart. Sparrow looks down upon her, her eyes sparking with fire.

"Show respect?" A dark laugh erupts from deep within her chest. "That is a good one. I will remember to use that next time I am telling a joke."

Lady Aileen's lips curl upwards revealing perfect white teeth. "You are but a child who has gotten married. Do not think you can go toe to toe with me and win."

Wolfe releases his grip on Sparrow, his gaze sharp and pinned on the two women.

"Nice threat, can you live up to it?" Sparrow taunts.

Much to the surprise of everyone present, Gavriel intervenes as his mother's hand pulls out a dagger, her intent to push it into Sparrow's side. He clasps her wrist and tugs her back. Her eyes, fully intent on murder, swing to him. He squeezes and the dagger slips to the floor. It clangs as hits the ground and he flinches. Gethin's eyebrows rise. Gavriel's gaze falls on Sparrow's hand where she grips onto a long thin blade, barely a few millimetres thick. It glints in the light until she slips it back into the material of her breeches. Wolfe steps up in front of her and looks down at her.

"Did she get you at all?" He mutters lowly and she shakes her head. "What did you think provoking her would achieve?" She looks up at him mutinously. Wolfe rolls his eyes. "Do not speak unless you are addressed." He turns his back to her and she bites down on her lip hard. The taste of iron enters her mouth. Her teeth let up and she licks away the blood.

"I apologise for the actions of my mother. She is blinded by grief as I am sure Warrior Sparrow is also." Gavriel's tone is filled with respect and it grates on Sparrow's nerves.

"I apologise also. These events have left my wife struggling with deep turmoil." Wolfe replies, his voice switching to one of diplomacy.

Gavriel turns to his father, "Perhaps it would be wiser if mother retired to her room. I know how unsettling this has been for her." Lady Aileen gapes at him but then faces her husband. She shakes her head but Lord Kier has already made his decision.

"You speak wisely my son. Aileen, you should return to your room." His tone leaves no room for negotiation and she unwillingly curtseys and swishes from the room.

"Back to the matter at hand," Gavriel begins and all attention goes to him. "This is not an accusation but a warning. Your brother Logan has escaped our dungeons and it is impossible that he did so by himself. Anyone caught harbouring him or with knowledge of this event will be put on trial for such a crime and war may ensue. We offer this, if those come forward now, all could be resolved."

"I appreciate you alerting us to this news. We cannot help you though as the last time I saw my brother was within your presence and I promised he would stand your trial. No one from my lands would act without my say so." Wolfe says calmly, very different to Sparrow's explosive response to a similar speech.

"What about your wife?" Gethin steps forward and Gavriel bites down on his tongue, annoyed at his brother for saying those words. "She did not sign and as an Iceni she would have plenty of reason to go against us."

Wolfe steps aside and glances down at Sparrow. "Was I addressed?" She says quietly for his ears only. Her tone is decidedly mocking. To the Ricells she says, "Was that an accusation or a warning?" Her eyes drift to Gavriel and he narrows his in return. "I have not seen Logan since Wolfe did. I did not help him to escape and I did not order anyone else to. My word is true."

"An Iceni's word is never true." Gethin argues and Gavriel's eyebrows spring to the top of his forehead. Lord Kier grumbles under his breath but remains fairly quiet, interested in her response.

"I gave him a knife, small but handy." Wolfe taps his fingers against his side, considering their different exits. "I told him that I would help him escape. He refused me. I had nothing to do with his escape but I am so thankful he has got out of your clutches. He is innocent and he does not deserve to die."

"Thank you Sparrow, for your honesty."

"Brother, you cannot be serious. She just admitted to planning a crime against our lands." Gethin interrupts.

"A crime she never committed. We would be foolish to pursue justice for that." Gavriel argues. Lord Kier silences Gethin with a look. "If you attempt to harbour my brother's murderer our peace will be at an end."

"We understand." Wolfe speaks up and wraps his hand around Sparrow's. She nods in agreement.

"I must request that you leave my lands now before your little army appears to be a threat." Lord Kier tiredly says.

Sparrow bows her head to him, showing a measure of respect. Gavriel watches her carefully. She feels his eyes on her but refuses to look his way. Wolfe simply nods. Gethin crosses his arms against his chest and then a spark ignites in his brain.

"What about your brother?" He calls out before Wolfe and Sparrow can leave. Gavriel slams his jaw shut. He thought maybe they would get through this conversation without any difficulties. He was wrong.

"My brother? Which one are you referring to exactly?" Wolfe replies in a tone that implies he is humouring him.

"Your youngest, Hunter. Would he act without your say so?" Gethin prompts.

Sparrow rubs her thumb over the back of Wolfe's hand as he pauses for thought. "Hunter is a law all to himself. If he has acted, it is by himself. He will have set himself apart from the Usani family. I would not have encouraged his actions. However, as far as I am aware, he is within my home and training my men. I do not believe he cared enough about Logan to do what you suggest."

They turn to leave but Gethin has not finished. "I have sources who tell me Hunter has been here in the last few days." Gavriel stiffens at that.

"Gethin." Lord Kier admonishes, "Lord Wolfe has just said that if Hunter was involved he is no longer a Usani. Allow them to leave without your foolish pestering. We must plan what we are going to do next."

Gethin recoils but nods all the same. Wolfe and Sparrow get out of there as quickly as they can. Sparrow sighs deeply once they have gotten far enough away and turns to Wolfe, her eyebrow quirked up.

"What is that look for; telling you to be quiet or saying what I did about Hunter?"

"Both. You are playing a dangerous game."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 509 20
A SHORT STORY...WITH 2 SOULS AS A PART BUT NEVER APART BY HEART...
217K 18K 48
Lord Bear Usani has dealt with a great many of emotions through his life: happiness, excitement, victory, mischief...loss, sadness, grief, guilt... T...
1.7K 61 34
It was supposed to be simple... Except there is always the calm before the storm and in this case.. the silence before the sound of a gun. Emmabell M...
40.5K 1.4K 72
Sometimes it only takes one person to change your life, a few seconds to fall in love and one day to lose everything. For Karolia, it only took one...