Queen Of Stars

By Jlaicecream

Step out of line, and it could mean horrible things, for you and your family. But Anthea wasn't always like t... More

Chapter one.
Chapter three.
Chapter four.

Chapter two.

541 48 0
By Jlaicecream

I groaned at the sound of a knock on the door the next day. I froze, resisting the urge to open my eyes. I didn't hear breathing next to me on the bed. No warmth of another body. My eyes slowly peeked open and I sighed out of relief when I found there was no one next to me.

Memories of the previous night flashed through my mind. Alister and I tumbling out onto the streets, half drunk and stupid. Or at least I was. We sat on the rusted old swings of First School while talking and flirting. When he asked where the best place to see the ocean in this village, I instantly grabbed his hand and dragged him across the village, pointing out my favorite spots. I said how they really shouldn't be calling it a village anymore. It was getting larger and better constructed by the day. I'm sure one day it would be considered a city. But not like Anthea. Nothing was like Anthea.

We hadn't slept together. And thank The Goddesses he had some sense left in him. Because I'm almost positive my drunken self would have done it. But I had brought him back the cabin after standing on the large stone bridge over looking the harbor for what felt like hours. I had fallen asleep in his arms on the sofa, after doing some... Mouth to mouth contact. He must have put me into bed before leaving.

My eyes frantically searched the room, for a note, a message of any kind. To know that this meant anything at all. I sighed out of disappointment and trudged to the door, still in the clothes from the night before. Another knock rapped against the door. "I'm coming!" I called, making my way across the small cabin.

I threw open the door to find Erik, his thicket of brown hair a handsome mess, his eyes frantic. Before I could say anything, he enveloped me in a hug, his strong arms wrapping around my back. It took me a couple stunned moments to realize what was happening, before I wrapped my arms around his torso. He murmured into my hair, "You're alright."

I laughed into his chest. "Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" I asked and he pulled back, inspecting my face for wounds. I looked up at him in confusion. "Erik, what's going on?"

He sighed when he was satisfied that I wasn't hurt, he still looked a little paranoid though, looking around, even though no one was around this early in the morning, all asleep in their beds. "Here, come inside," I said, pulling him inside the threshold and away from the mist of rain falling from above.

Once the door was closed tight, I went around turning on lamps and opening curtains. The rain started to fall harder, plinking against the windows. "I'm sure you're hungry." I looked through my cupboards and actually found a bag of oatmeal. I made sure I had some butter and sugar before putting a pot of water on the stove. As the water heated, I turned to Eric, throwing him a towel. "Are you going to tell me what this is about now?"

He plopped down into one of the two chairs at the small table, rubbing the towel over his head to get the rain out of his hair. "I saw you with that man in the tavern," he said and I froze, gripping the counter behind me. "At first I was happy that you were talking to someone other than myself," he went on. "I also hoped you wouldn't make another drunken bet. You know what the last one did." He chuckled and the corner of my mouth tugged upwards.

I vaguely remembered having to jump into the harbor naked for losing. I thanked The Goddesses he wasn't actually there to see it.

"I continued." A pause. "Talking with Sally," he said carefully. So that was her name. I hadn't bothered to learn it. "But then I spotted you two leaving and when he went to grab his jacket from his table, I saw it." He swallowed. "The tattoo on his wrists."

I glared at him in confusion before turning to pour oats into the pots. "Yes, I saw it too. What about his tattoo?" I said as I stirred the pot, brushing back my disheveled hair. The memory of Alister running his hands through it went through my mind and I blushed, keeping my back to him.

"You honestly didn't recognize it, Lyn?" A nickname we used as children when I was ashamed of my unusual name. I didn't mind it now, but only if it came from his lips.

I turned around and saw his face was white with worry. "No, I didn't. I thought it was a little odd though..." I trailed off when I saw him swallow. "What was the tattoo?" I asked, just briefly stirring the pot.

"It was Witch's knot, Lyn. The symbol of the Salem," he whispered, so quiet that I almost didn't hear him. I gripped the counter's edge tightly until my knuckles were white. He was a Salem warrior. Alister was one of them.

Not all Salems were tyrannical bastards were power obsessed. And I knew that. Alister was a prime example of that fact. But they were all that honest and good either. They... They were the reason mother is dead, they were the reason father didn't survive. It was all their fault.

§

It was alright. I was alright. Erik helped. We ate our breakfast together, trying to lighten the mood. He made me laugh as best he could, but there was still that nagging feeling in the back of mind that was bothering me.

"So," he said, drying a dish I had just washed beside me. "Did you end up... Sleeping with him?" I glared over at him, my gaze sharp.

"No. Not that it's any of your business," I stated, handing the last bowl to him rather forcefully. "What about you? How was... What was her name? Sara?" I growled.

Erik frowned, looking down at his hands. "I didn't... It didn't happen." He looked somehow ashamed, and I felt slightly satisfied and relieved. "I saw the knot on his wrist and started to panic and excused myself. She looked rather disappointed I must admit."

I pressed my lips together, trying not to smile. "I hope it's not too private, but have you... You know... Since we did that all those years ago?" I blushed furious, but I was rather curious. I had seen him with plenty of females since then, but had no idea if he had bed any of them.

He chuckled darkly, and I pursed my lips, waiting for an answer. "No," he said, but then turned to me. "Have you?" When my face darkened a shade, his mouth opened. "You have, haven't you?"

I gripped my hands in tight fists, my jagged nails digging into my palms. "Maybe."

What Erik and I did was a stupid drunken mistake. I was seventeen and he had been eighteen. We just wanted to get it over with, so we did. Sometimes I regretted it more than anything, sometimes I thought it was fine. I honestly didn't know if it had been a good or bad thing.

Tilting his head back he laughed. "Look at you, getting around." I kicked him in the shin like he had done to me the night before. He growled quietly, falling back on the couch, gripping his shin. "You're real mean to me, you know."

I only laughed and put the rest of the dishes away, draining the sink. "It's not as if you're so sweet to me either." I strode over and sat down next to him on the small sofa, shoulder to shoulder. "I'm fairly certain you punched me in the face in Second School."

Erik roared out a laugh. He reached over and gripped my thigh. My breathing hitched at the contact and my eyes flicked downwards to where his hand rested. "I am sorry for that. I was roaring drunk that day. I went out with Cal that day and started drinking. I actually barely remember it. You must have pissed me off somehow." His gaze drifted to my eyes. "What did you do?"

It was my turn to laugh and I tentatively put a hand over his. He looked surprised. "I called you a drunk bastard and your little sister agreed with me. She was only eleven at the time by the way." I could feel a laugh roll through him and he somewhat reluctantly took his hand away, I was secretly disappointed.

"That sounds just like her." Erik rested his head on the back of the couch. "By The Goddesses I wish I could visit her in Anthea," he groaned, running a hand over his face.

I nodded. I somehow missed Caroline these days, even with the large age difference, she was always good to have around. The fiery redhead had so much sass at such a young age that she really should be worshiped. "Maybe she could come visit us one day. Bring a little light to this drab place."

He nodded. "She talks about coming to visit all the time. But it never happens." He sighed and finally looked at me as I fiddled with my hands, thinking about the girl. "What's it like up there, Lyn? Do you think she's happy?"

I smiled softly, resting my head on his shoulder. "The only word that I can think of is beautiful. Caroline is beautiful inside and out. She must fit right in."

§

Erik left a couple hours later. Before he left out into the rain, he kissed my cheek, holding his face close to mine a moment longer, his breath hot on my skin. He stepped away and gave me that boyish grin of his before disappearing into the rain. I sighed and stepped backwards inside, pushing the door shut. I let out a light groan and slumped against the door.

Here I go again. My crush on Erik was a silly school girl thing. I had let it go a long time ago. But somehow, in a matter of hours, that had all changed. This was ridiculous. Absolutely, positively, ridicul-

My thoughts were cut off by a rather forceful knock on the door behind me. I almost jumped out of my skin and then smirked. What had Erik forgot this time? I still had one of his jackets that he said I could keep. I took a quick glance around the apartment before swinging the door open.

But instead of Erik standing on the threshold, it was Sentinels. Anthea Sentinels. It was made obvious by the crest of Anthea on their chests, a golden sun within a silver crescent moon. But the one in front of the other two, indeed had the Anthea crest on his chest, but above the collar of his black tunic, on his neck... A Witch's knot.

The Salem's face was rugged, a slight beard, his dark hair cut short. A scar ran down the side on his face. He smirked at the sight of me and I took a stumbling step back, gripping the door, wanting to slam it in their faces.

"You're Alina Malefica, correct?" he asked, an ever annoying smirk on his face.

I thought it better than to lie to him. I heard stories that The Salem know when people lie to them, or at least powerful ones. He looked powerful enough, at least physically. Muscle corded his arms which were now crossed against his hard chest. "Yes." It wasn't a full lie.

He nodded to the two Sentinels beside him. "I am commander Kel of the Salem. And I would like you to come with us." He took a dangerous stepped forward and I took a couple more staggering steps back, until the counter dug into my lower back.

I slowly and silently reached into the drawer behind me, my hand searching for a knife, or anything I could use as a weapon. "And why would I do that?" I hissed, my fingers finally gripping a butter knife. 

"We're under orders. And the trace led us to this place. So if you are indeed, Alina Malefica. You need to come with us," Kel stated, taking a couple more steps until he was fully standing inside. The two purple clad Sentinels remained outside in the misty rain, their faces impassive.

"Under orders from who?" I growled, sliding the knife behind my back. Alister popped into my head and I scowled. He wouldn't do that, would he? I had revealed some somewhat sensitive information in our conversations. Of her life in Anthea and how her family got kicked out.

"That's classified."

"Who told you my name?" There was only one person who she had told that name to...

"That's classified."

"Is there anything that is not classified," I growled, glaring at him as he got even closer, only a few feet away.

Kel chuckled and went to grab me. "Let's find out." I ducked out of the way as fast as I could and swung my knife at him. He stopped it in an instant, gripping my wrist tight, the tip of the blade an inch from his rugged face. "You've got guts," he said with a feline smile. He gripped my wrist tighter and I yelp, letting go of the knife. It clanged as it hit the wood floor. "I like that in a woman." He started to drag me towards the still ajar door.

I yelled and screamed, struggling fiercely against his grip. "Let me go!" I screeched, clawing at his hand. When he didn't listen and continued to drag me, I dug my heels into the floor. "I said. Let. Me. Go."

The male faltered for a moment, pausing to turn back to look at me. His eyes flickered with some unknown emotion before continuing towards the door. As I continued to struggle, he swore. "I really didn't want to resort to this."

He met my eyes, staring intensely into them for a moment, and I glared at him with extreme hatred. Suddenly, I felt light headed, darkness clouding my vision and I swayed. I was dragged out without struggle and got a glimpse of the Witch's knot carved into my door that I hadn't noticed, before the black swallowed me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 5.6K 53
anything but mortal. COMPLETED. ****Book 2 in the Grey Saga**** -mature content- After outwitting Lucifer, Jordan now has to face the consequences of...
636 7 24
What happens when gods and goddesses fall in love? What happens when the hero isn't you? Everything seemed to have hit rock-bottom for Karma. A colle...
968K 40.3K 35
Copyrighted 2020 **Book 1 in the Darkness Series!** **Completed!** *Under construction* There was a creature locked away miles beneath the ston...
3.9K 633 21
In every werewolves life they wait for their eighteenth birthday with zeal. That is because they get their mates. I was one of those people waiting f...