Future Fur-The Racosan War

By SurRetro

Full blown war threatens the People of the Aligned Coalition of Planets. How far will they stand that treach... More

Teaser(Chapter 1)
Chapter 1(15) Saltaner Incognito(unrevised)
Chapter 2 (16) Stand of the Light(Unrevised)
Chapter 3 (17) Surrendering for my home(unedited)
Chapter 4 (18) Daring Rescue(unedited)
Chapter 5(19) Rouge mercies(unedited)
Chapter 6(20) Bravery at Arcadia(Unedited)
Chapter 8 (22) Arcadia Canis Stands(unedited)
Chapter 9(23) Prelude(unedited)
Chapter 10(24) The last Game (unedited)
Chapter 11 (25) End Game (Unedited)
Chapter 12 (26) The Game is Over (Unedited)
Chapter 13(27) Aftermath (Unedited)
Chapter 14(28) Epilogue(Unedited)

Chapter 7(21) Rebellion of Arcadia(unedited)

3 0 0
By SurRetro

The wind howled through the walls of the city of Jericho, a sound that seemed to never cease. Once in a great, while the sound would disappear only to pick up in a few minutes. The natives would warn us that the doors need to stay sealed because a sandstorm would create a continuous amount of ruckus. In an effort to drown the noise I focused on the task at hand, retreating to a dreamlike state to plan our attacks with Argos. Everyone else was working and the doctors were fixing up Kandor.

The Racalnas would know that we would lock down our defenses, especially with a rising storm. This base was meant for a long fight against our own but the Racosan Army was a different type of threat, one that would use everything they have to take this planet, capable of supporting life if possible but destroying it without a second thought if the task started to seem impossible.

I heard Zane call out my name, "Tanem!" He was yelling, with a hint of concern. I go up and walked over to the console he was syncing up to our defenses, the computer had more than one thing running but it didn't have to guess that the heat signature coming from the wall of sand and dirt was too high for it to be only a sand storm.

Collin came up on Zane's left, "Captain, I will try to get the external defense cannons online before they get here. This is very bad!" With that he walked off, forgetting the reason he came over in favor of saving that reason. I knew he wanted to hold Zane right now, they were always side by side until a fight started, this was different, they were not together. It hurt me to see Zane force his concentration and to watch Collin walk away as if he didn't want to cling to his husband, all because of the Racalnas. All because I the war they started.

I tapped Zane's shoulder, "I can sync the defenses, go help Collin! That's an order!"

Before I could respond Zane jumped up and hugged me, whispering his thanks into my ear before he walked toward Collin. It was a small gesture that showed I cared and I know that the two would get the job done before they would allow themselves to do anything else with the extra time to themselves.

"Excuse me captain Jax, can I ask a question?" A young female officer, a lizard but I'm not sure what type of lizard, with gray and yellow scales asked.

"Go ahead, you may not get another chance to ask it, I don't know how this war will end but I don't think it will last much longer, one of us may end up dead in the meantime!"

"Why did you reassign commander Dedran so he was closer to a person he is romantically interested in?" So she is an analytical officer and it sounds like she is analyzing command styles, she is right too, Zane does like Collin but she missed their rings!

"I take it you are looking to be a captain one day with how you are looking at the situation. Am I correct in that assessment?" I said as I looked her in the eyes.

"Yes, Captain Jax!"

I smirked, "Just because someone wrote it down, don't follow it. Command is about making your crew work to their finest. Zane and Collin, for example, you are right but you missed something, they are married. I found that if you learn your crew, sometimes the best thing is to let them figure out how to approach a problem, guide it but don't control it. Let your crew not only respect you but trust you. Collin and Zane are competent officers and work well together even if their strengths are elsewhere, they push each other forward. Like they decided to get engraved on their wedding rings, 'Explore tomorrow', as long as I outrank them I plan to keep them on my crew to see how far they can push each other."

"So it's about getting the most out of your crew, without lowering the moral on your ship?"

I linked up the last set of defenses and allowed the console to take over, "something like that, I encourage my crew to make mistakes, as a society we have always grown from making mistakes. Why make a crew any different? We are just a smaller section of a giant society."

"Thank you, that is very helpful Captain!" She smiled brightly before she turned away to find something to do.

"One more thing Lieutenant, if you have a choice, make sure you and everyone you can save make it out of this war alive." She nodded and continued on her way. I know this won't end well but we must try, we always must try.

Time crept by, some moments seemed longer than others. I made it a priority to finish my task and go help Collin and Zane, not only so I could relax but so I could check on how well they were handling without Daniel. It had to be rough because I was in pain not being at Rehana's side. Somehow the three of us being together made the universe feel a little less lonely.

"All personnel, prepare yourselves sandstorm contact in two minutes! Also Captain Jax to the center all defense command! Commander Jones is on her way back, one minute outward." I jumped up from where I was sitting and ran to the makeshift command center, I knew Collin and Zane were behind me, it was instinct for them to follow me around when the battle was about to start. I don't remember why it started, I just remember how lonely things got during Collin's large depression spike, Zane didn't talk much while Collin was out of the battle, always things that were necessary, nothing like the Zane I grew up with.

He was not as confident, scared like he used to get during thunderstorms when we were kids, I miss those days now. I could focus on making new ways to draw his attention from the storms, I remember one night he stayed the night, the storm only continued to get worse and even as we tried to sleep I could hear his whimpers. Since we were both sleeping on the floor I dragged my pallet closer to him and wrapped my arms around him effectively enclosing him in a hug, eventually he calmed down and soon enough we both fell asleep. Things were so much simpler back then.

Shiro walked into the command Center removing her sand proof mask so she could speak, "We need anti-armor firing into the sandstorm!" The weapons officer that was assigned to defend the base with the original weapons was moved to the side by Collin as he activated the weapons, she shot me a questioning look rather quickly.

I grinned sheepishly, "Collin and Shiro are fine, I trust them with my life, besides Shiro has a reason if she is ordering something without getting my permission first. There is a re..."Collin stood up before speaking, "Captain, several explosions are registering in the sandstorm!"I did not hesitate to act, "Alert status all hands prepare for combat!" Zane spoke next, I was not looking at him but I knew he was beside me with his arms crossed looking at the tactical view Collin put up when he shouted his warning."Ready to see if we can hold out till the storm is over?"It was not often that Shiro said exactly what I said when I said it but this time, it concerned me, "we better be able too."

***

Only moments remained until the storm ended. Shiro made releasing her findings on the Racalnas a priority when we started waiting out the storm, one such finding was the location and a weakness for a super weapon that had been used against Aden and was used unsuccessfully against Earth, Saltaner, and in other battles during the war. She had also obtained charts so we could effectively attack a number of targets in Racosan space with significantly lower risk. If we wanted to end the war, Shiro's work infiltrating and sabotaging the downed Racosan ship would help do just that. I will ensure that is what happens, we can not hold the defensive an win, eventually, we would fall unless we attacked a target to drive them back.

I hit the city communication link and spoke calmly, "attention anyone who can here me. The sandstorm will end in a minute and we will be able to fight more effectively but that also means the Racalnas will have an easier time hitting us as well. Be prepared to fight, I know it's tough but have a little faith, I am recommending a full-scale assault after this battle. If I do not survive today some one must carry that flag and I know all of you are perfectly capable officers and one of you at least will wear the flag that states we are strong!" Moments later the base shook violently, the officers that were standing fought for balance ending in almost half of them laying on the floor.

I somehow kept my balance as did Collin who caught and stabilized Zane, "minimal damage from that hit, I am activating all defenses so that shouldn't happen as often!" Reported an officer who seemed content to keep the fight outside the base.

"Prepare for if they breach the walls, the Racalnas are resourceful, if there is a way for them to do it they will. No one leaves the base and if we can avoid it no one will get into this base!" I stood by the console with the tactical display observing it as more projectiles breached our defensive fire, it was just too constant for the defenses to hold up against. Another burst threw me to the floor, which was soon followed by another and I knew they were both close.

"The structural integrity of this sections outer armor is failing, we need to move to another location!" I head someone shout as I stood up to take control.

"Collin, get me a detonation charge! Everyone else evacuate the area!" My plan was simple, blow out the wall, surprise and kill some of them in the process.

A hand landed on my shoulder so I looked to my right to see Zane smirking, "you know I am helping you right."

He doesn't listen and I am fine with that, "Figured!"

"Where do you want the explosive?" Collin asked after placing his rifle behind a pillar.

"You're staying too?" Collin nodded, "Alright, place it against the wall that is the most likely to collapse." With that I started moving creates to make a defensive line that should suit my purpose.

Collin set the charge and walked over to his pillar, "So what are we calling this operation?"

I laughed, Collin was good at relieving everyone's tension but his own, "Battle of Jericho, even more, meaningful than it was when we were briefed!"

"Why?"

Zane smiled, "level with me love, did you even take early earth history?"

Collin's expression became slightly agitated, "I did."

I took over the explaining because I could see Zane had unintentionally hit a nerve, "though we are not sure what exactly happened during the battle of Jericho on earth, we know that for some reason the walls fell."

Collin visibly relaxed, "I might have slept through that lecture but I get where you are taking this. You are going to recreate your own version of history."

I removed my sword from its sheathe that was on my back, "that is accurate! Zane, I need you farther back so you can give cover fire!"

Zane patted Collin's back on his way to an area I pointed out, "I will have to reward you!"

"And if I want something else?" Collin asked with a chipper smile letting both of us know exactly what he wanted.

"I guess I can give you both! Assuming I am wrong." We all got into position with me hiding behind creates as I counted down till detonation.

Argos spoke through the base communications panel near Collin's position, "several life signs detected gathering on the outer wall of the command section!"

I counted slowly, preparing to press down on the explosives remote detonator button. I waited, hoping to catch the first few glimpses of cracks forming on the interior wall. It was only a time. As soon as the first crack could be seen clearly I pressed the button knowing that once the wall was gone we could not get it back.

The charge detonated, there was no way back, we could only hold the line.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138 37 11
After getting killed by a crystal potato, being brought back to life with strange abilities and meeting some aliens, we now fight a war never meant d...
128K 14.4K 91
Less than five months ago, lights appeared in the sky. Days later the ships started to arrive. They call themselves the Consortium. They are human, o...
557 0 19
The war with Pore is over. Half of the original group is dead. Now, those who remain turn their eyes toward the heavens as the threat of The Warnge...
5.9K 1.1K 67
The world is at war. A desperate band of humans flee trying to get away from the fighting. They manage to find their way to a new world and this is t...