CONTROL #1: Unmasking Mr. Dar...

By anselacorsino

THIS IS A PREVIEW ONLY ... More

Author's Note (Or "How to Not Get Muted")
Chapter 1.1 : Lizzy
Chapter 1.2 : Asher
Chapter 2 : Red Velvet
Chapter 3 : Strangers and Benefits [MATURE]
Chapter 4.1 : Wake-up Call [MATURE]
Chapter 4.2 : Meeting the Boss
Chapter 5.2 : Whatever He Wants
Chapter 6.1 : Collin
Chapter 6.2 : A Simple Proposition [MATURE]
Chapter 7.1: Playtime
Chapter 7.2: Party Favors [MATURE]
Chapter 8 : Jordana
Chapter 9 : Driving in Corsets
Chapter 10.1 : Incognito
Chapter 10.2 : Taste

Chapter 5.1 : The Art of War

37.2K 1.4K 56
By anselacorsino

The editors sitting around the table stared at Asher Darcy in stunned silence.

"You can't possibly be serious," Lizzy said.

The truth was, she knew this was coming. In a precarious time for traditional media, no one bought a print magazine without wanting to make big changes. However, it didn't mean she was going to have an easy time accepting the reality that was just laid out in front of her.

Asher had an arm stretched out in front of him, fingers drumming lightly on the conference table. "Lily—"

"Lizzy!"

"Excuse me. Lizzy, despite your comically shocked expressions, I'm certain every single one of you were expecting this. Sooner or later, The Fold would have to join the twenty-first century."

"We have a website, Mr. Darcy. We publish some of the articles online."

He waved a hand dismissively. "I've seen the analytics reports. Not only are there too few new articles a week, but the site barely has an audience."

Jade spoke up before Lizzy could reply. "The Fold is a print-first publication, Asher," she explained patiently. "Hence the name."

"Yes, about that," Asher said. "I'm changing the name of the magazine. If we're to move forward—"

"Hey, what—" Lizzy started to say, but he raised a hand to stop her.

"... we can't be held back by sentimentality. Yes, I understand circulation is still quite strong, but I think we can do better. We need to immerse ourselves in new media and social media, and not just dip our toe in them."

It took all her self-control to keep from jumping over the conference table and wringing the arrogant bastard's neck. Silencing her as if she was some twelve-year-old daring to speak up at the adult table—

"Our articles are not exactly web-friendly," Garret Wilson said. "I'm not sure we'll be pulling in enough numbers to make offering them online worth it."

"You're absolutely right, Garret. We're going to have to come up with new style guidelines to address that."

Everyone groaned. The phrase "click bait" was muttered by more than a few around the table.

Asher regarded the editorial team with amusement, unperturbed by its collective response to his plans for the magazine. His editorial team, he reminded himself.

"Look, I admire this publication immensely," he said. "And I have tremendous respect for you and the staff, and everything you've accomplished." He paused, letting his words sink in. "I wouldn't have bought The Fold if I didn't. I'm confident that if we work together, we can make the magazine succeed even more."

"You mean you want it to make more money," Lizzy said. If there was anything he learned about the editor of the Film and TV section, was that she was nothing if not blunt. He met her stare with the smile. The woman would be attractive, he mused, if she didn't have that perpetual scowl on her face.

"Absolutely. Print is dead. We're going to have to adapt to people's changing reading habits if we're to thrive, not just survive." He leaned forward. "I want to make money, and you want to do your job. I think we can give each other what we want."

"Are you saying we're no longer publishing the magazine in print?" Jade said. He could see his lovely editor-in-chief try to mask the horror she felt. Perhaps he should have mentioned his plans to her before today. Gotten her on board before he dropped the bombshell. However, the element of surprise had always worked for him in the past. If someone was going to oppose you, it was better not to give them time to think of a plan to get in your way.

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Although," he added loudly, ignoring the groans of protest around the room, "I'm open to compromise on that point."

"I see." Surprisingly, Jade remained calm and collected, unlike everyone else. Looking at her, he could almost see the gears turning in her head. She was appraising him, trying to figure him out. Strategizing her next move. He didn't mind. There were very few things he enjoyed more than being under the scrutiny of a beautiful woman.

She would need convincing, of course. But he was certain he was up to the task. In fact, he was looking forward to it.

He wondered what it would take to get her on his side. Or in his bed. Specifically, on top of him. Naked. He caught his breath the image filling his mind of her smiling down at him, her long glossy hair falling over her bare shoulders and breasts. He pictured her lips parting in ecstasy as he filled her with his —

"You and I can discuss this between ourselves," he said. She nodded, and he continued, "In the meantime, I trust the editorial board will be able to come up with a business plan. I'm prepared to invest whatever it takes."

"We'll need to hire more people for the web team," said Sandra. "Not just developers, but social media specialists. I only have two people currently maintaining the site."

"Whatever it takes, Sandra," he said. "Jade, I'd like a business plan by next week."

"Will do," Jade said. "However, about that other thing we discussed ..."

"Ah yes." His eyes brightened as he turned to face the others. "Being new to the publishing business, Jade and I have agreed that I will need to familiarize myself with the day-to-day operations of the magazine. She has very generously agreed to—"

"Let Lizzy show you the ropes," Jade said.

"What." Lizzy's voice was so low, it almost sounded like a growl. And not the kind he was used to coming from a woman. Not the deep, throaty sound women made when they begged him for ... well, anything. And they were usually naked, or getting ready to be.

Frankly, there was nothing about Lizzy Bennet that made him want to picture her naked.

"I need you to take Asher in hand, Lizzy. He wants to observe what we do and how we work," Jade explained.

"I'm busy. Sorry."

"He won't be in the way. He'll merely be observing, and asking the occasional question." Jade smiled at him. "I'd be happy to do it myself, but I have to give you a business plan within a week."

She was right, unfortunately. Asher could have given her a month to come up with that business plan, but he knew he had to get things rolling right away. "That's all right," he assured her. He turned to Lizzy, who looked like she'd just been ordered to eat a plateful of razors. "I'm all yours, Liddy."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks to everyone who liked this chapter!

If you'd like to read more, chapters 1-7 are on the Radish app. Info here: http://anselacorsino.com/radish

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 76.6K 57
Twenty-one and ready to take on the world, orphan Lizzie Gold didn't expect her chance encounter with a stranger to lead to a damnable task - to take...
2.8K 79 6
Is Mr. Darcy Too Late? While Mr. Darcy rushes to London to help Lydia avoid ruination, the unexpected death of their father throws Elizabeth Bennet's...
273K 4.6K 26
"Please, fuck me, please!" I cried, tears spilling down my cheeks. "Only because you look so pretty when you beg." He pushed my face to the cement f...
5.8M 156K 51
When billionaire playboy Nick Sinclair sets his sights on the one woman who wants nothing to do with him, will he be able to change his ways to win h...