The TimberWolf Effect (Book I)

By Jacklyn_Reynolds

Nine-year-old orphan Timber Brogan was headed to an unknown future with her father's sister and her family... More

PROLOGUE
CHAPTER ONE - Southern Comfort
CHAPTER TWO - Heritage and Pride
CHAPTER THREE - The Longest Night
CHAPTER FOUR - Human
CHAPTER FIVE - The Night of Two Wolves
CHAPTER SEVEN - Where Sand Meets Sea
CHAPTER EIGHT - Forest Runaway
CHAPTER NINE - Christmas Socks
CHAPTER TEN - The Start of Friendship
CHAPTER ELEVEN - Shattered Winter Glass
CHAPTER TWELVE - When The Earth Shakes
CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Blood Drenched Fur
CHAPTER FOURTEEN - The Beginnings of Rivalry
CHAPTER FIFTEEN - Monster From The Grave
CHAPTER SIXTEEN - Attack of The Blood Twins
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - The Last Mother She Had Left
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN - Descendant of Thatcher
CHAPTER NINETEEN - The Fort at Northwest Cape
CHAPTER TWENTY - Lieutenant Colonel Frank Williams
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE - Sinister Plotting
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO - Childhood Memories
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - Thirty-one Thousand Feet
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR - The Happiest Place on Earth
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE - Kicking Up Dust
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX - The Beginning of The End
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN - Aconite Injection
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT - Return to Haven
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE - Battle in The In-Between
CHAPTER THIRTY - The Boy With Hazel Eyes
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - Fairy Wings
EPILOGUE
Mortem Donatoris

CHAPTER SIX - The Wolf Part of Her Heart

56 7 3
By Jacklyn_Reynolds

"Are you ready, Timber?"

Timber was in a hurry. She had slept in unusually late and the family had planned to start moving boxes into the new house that Chad and Grace just bought.

"I'm coming!" she replied loudly. She finished putting on her left shoe and hurried out of the front door.

Timber actually liked the new house. Compared to the other places she had lived in, the new house was a castle. It had four reasonably sized bedrooms upstairs, two modest living areas downstairs, a decent sized kitchen that had been remodeled ten years prior, a formal dining room, and a brick fireplace, which was Timber's favorite part of the house. The large yard was green and well maintained with lots of flowers for Emily to draw pictures of. When they walked through the front door, Timber noticed a box in the corner by the fireplace that hadn't been there the day before when they came to get the keys. She opened it up and smiled. It was a coffee mug set with each of their names on it. At the bottom of the box, there was a note that Timber read out loud.

"Happy housewarming. It's signed, Lord Frost."

"That was nice of him," said Chad. "We could put these to use tonight with some hot chocolate after we get some boxes unloaded."

So they set to work. Timber was not as strong in human form as she was in her wolf form, and the physical demands of lifting and carrying boxes up the stairs put a great deal of strain on her so she spent most of the day as a wolf. Grace had made her a makeshift harness out of polyester seatbelt mesh to pull heavy boxes up the stairs several days earlier and she was hooked up. It was a little uncomfortable but Timber didn't mind when she realized it spread the pressure around her body from pulling the weight. Being smaller and agile, Timber was able to climb behind boxes and furniture in the U-Haul truck and find the small boxes and things for Emily to carry like lamps and bags of bedding.

After a quick take-out lunch, Timber and Emily took a short nap together by the fireplace while Chad, Grace, and a few of their friends from work moved the heavy furniture that they had in a storage unit into the house. Sharon, Lori Lynn, and Crystal helped move in the couches, chairs, and the large dining set and set them in place. The biggest thing to move was Grace's upright piano she inherited from her grandfather. Though she had not played it since he passed, she still loved it.

After they woke up from their nap an hour later, Timber and Emily went right back to work. Grace had told them that they were only responsible for their own boxes because they were light enough but Timber had to help Emily drag her bag of stuffed toys up the stairs because the bag was bigger than she was. Chad and Grace stopped and laughed to see Timber going backward up the stairs with the straps of the garbage bag in her mouth while Emily pushed from the bottom.

When they were packing, Chad had given the smallest boxes to Timber and Emily. He said they had to be able to lift the box themselves. Emily and Timber had a dozen boxes that they could lift themselves, though Timber weighed hers down since her wolf was stronger. Timber helped load lighter items into the truck and Emily carried every pillow in the house and put it into the back seat of Chad's car. Timber thought loading the truck was much easier than unloading it.

By late afternoon, Timber had finished hauling her boxes and bags of blankets up the stairs to her new bedroom. Now that was really able to look around she realized that her new bedroom was about the same size as her old living room in Nebraska. There was still a decent amount of floor space even with ten boxes covering the cream-carpeted floor. It was not very large, but it would work for Timber. She walked around the room and stepped into a spot that was ice cold. She jumped back and sniffed. There was nothing there though she was overwhelmed with the feeling of familiarity. She checked the window but it was closed tight. She shrugged, shook her fur, and walked downstairs.

She helped move more boxes into the back room and then Emily announced that she was hungry and that she was feeling like she just spun in circles so all work stopped. Timber too was sore. She was using muscles she hadn't used since combat training. So Chad left and returned twenty minutes later with a heap of cheeseburgers and a mountain of fries. Timber couldn't help herself at the smell of beef. She barked repeatedly and ran to Chad, leaping up and down. She was excited. She loved cheeseburgers. It had become her favorite junk food.

The family sat on the floor of the kitchen and feasted. Emily had one cheeseburger, half of another, and three large handfuls of fries before she said she was full. Chad and Grace each had two burgers and a couple of handfuls of fries each which left Timber with four burgers and a handful of fries. She ignored the fries and dove right into the burgers. Her wolf was craving meat after a full day and she was going to eat until her craving was satisfied. She swallowed the last chunk of burger and attacked the fries. Then she lay down, licking her lips joyfully.

"I think Timber was hungry," said Chad.

"Me too," said Grace. "Well, there's only a few more boxes left in the truck and we have to return it in the mornin'. We should finish unloadin'."

Chad and Grace got up and headed outside to get the last several boxes and Timber helped push them into their respective corners. The last leg took a half-hour and Timber was relieved when the back of the U-Haul truck was closed.

"Well, I think we're done for tonight," Chad said. "It's time for hot chocolate."

Grace grabbed the new mugs from Lord Frost, went into the kitchen, and got the hot chocolate out of a box while Chad sat down next to the fireplace. He grabbed some scrap cardboard and started a small fire. Timber could smell the warm chocolate and it made her smile. Soon, Grace appeared with a tray. She set it down on the hearth and Timber took her cup. She smiled until she saw the marshmallows floating on top of the chocolate and she froze with her eyes watering in the firelight. Her heart suddenly felt as though half of it was missing. The sensation of being incomplete aroused heartache and a wave of sadness engulfed her.

"Timber, Honey, what's wrong?" asked Grace, looking concerned.

"I - I don't know," said Timber with tears streaming down her pale cheeks.

"You know you can tell us anything," said Chad. "We want to know why you're crying so we can help you feel better."

"It's stupid," protested Timber.

"Not if it's something that's making you cry," said Chad gently.

"Did the hot chocolate remind you of somethin'?" asked Grace, moving over and holding Timber tightly.

"No, it's the marshmallows. When I saw the marshmallows they reminded me of a pair of hazel eyes."

"You have your dad and aunt's eye color," said Chad, looking at Grace with a confused expression. "Your mom had blue eyes if I remember right."

"I know it doesn't m-make sense," said Timber, wiping her cheeks with her palms. "They remind me of hazel eyes somewhere in Haven." Timber just cried softly for another minute and then forced herself to stop and dry her eyes.

"Big girls don't cry, Timber," said her dad's voice in her head. "You have to be tough."

Timber was not going to let her dad down. It would be an insult to his memory. She pushed down the feelings and drank her hot chocolate without another word. It wasn't long before Emily was fast asleep on her dad's lap. Timber too had begun to doze off with her head on Grace's lap. She slipped silently into wolf form and stretched out.

"I'll ask Lord Frost about the marshmallow thing. Maybe it's somethin' significant," said Grace quietly when she thought Timber was no longer awake. "You think they're asleep enough to be moved without wakin' up? We'll set up a makeshift bed for them in the other room."

Later that night, while Timber was resting comfortably in her little bed in the back room with Emily beside her, a soft knock on the front door caught her attention. It was well after eleven but she heard Chad and Grace go to the door and open it.

"Good evenin'," said Grace.

"Hello," said the voice of Lord Frost. Timber wanted to run to him but she knew better. Instead, she lay still and perked up her ears so she could hear easily.

"We're so sorry to call you, especially at such a late hour, but it seems we don't know much about Timber's time in Haven and we feel not knowin' may cause problems in helping her recovery," said Grace.

"I understand," said Lord Frost. "I agree with you. I have no problem answering questions about Timber. I understand taking in a half-human child can be challenging. I am in no hurry tonight."

"Thank you, and again, we're sorry," said Chad.

"Please, have a seat. Would you like somethin' to drink? Or a snack?" asked Grace.

"I appreciate the offer but I am fine. Thank you. Please ask your questions."

"I want to know if Timber was close to anyone else outside of her parents while in Haven," said Grace. "We just finished movin' boxes and I made hot chocolate in those lovely mugs you gave us. Thank you, by the way. Anyway, I put in marshmallows and they stirred up somethin' in Timber. She started to cry and she said somethin' about a pair of hazel eyes." Timber heard Lord Frost chuckle.

"Oh yes. You see, once a female wolf finds her mate, it creates an unbreakable lifelong bond."

"She's only nine years old," said Chad with a tone of protectiveness that Timber appreciated. "She left Haven when she was almost five."

"I am aware," said Lord Frost calmly. "Timber developed a fondness for a young boy named Henry Santelli during her last Christmas in Heiligdom. It officially started with a marshmallow on Christmas morning, though she had seen him before. The same day she protected him from the school bully which means he was extremely important to her. She bit the boy when he tried to hit Henry. Every week for the next few months, Timber would sneak away from Elizabeth, and go into the kitchen in the castle. She would steal a marshmallow and leave one on his classroom desk while he was in school recess and on other days, she watched him play and he would always wave at her. She would also sit close to him during Sunday dinners in the Great Hall. They struck up a friendship that lasted a few months until she left Heiligdom. Henry has hazel eyes."

"So this Henry boy is Timber's soul mate in a sense?" asked Grace. "Like true love?"

"Yes, but I feel he is unlikely ever to be more to Timber than a distant memory if she remembers him at all. Henry is a werewolf. He will never leave Haven. Timber will never find another perfect mate."

"So she's going to be alone?" asked Chad.

"She can choose another man, but he will never have her whole heart. He will only have the human part of her. Henry's hold on the wolf part of her heart will never fade."

"What about Henry?" asked Grace.

"Henry has told me about dreams of a large silver wolf with ice-blue eyes," said Lord Frost. "He has also been captured by Timber. He remembers her and still cares for her deeply. He was heartbroken when she left. Werewolves are forbidden to breed, but they can marry. Henry, unfortunately, will never settle until he finds Timber. If circumstances occur that allow him to leave, in time, his heart will eventually lead him to her. If they do find each other, love will be instant. If he does not leave Haven, he will remain alone until death. If they are ever reunited, no matter the circumstances, it would be unwise to attempt to keep them apart. If they are connected in the way I believe they are, separating them twice could kill them."

"Kill them?" asked Grace, sounding alarmed. "How?"

"I have seen wolves die from broken hearts," said Lord Frost. "Unlike people, wolves cannot replace their partners, even if one dies. They remain alone. In some cases, their brokenness eats away at them and they die. Henry, as an Alpha male, would be particularly susceptible to this. When they were separated before, they were young enough to be able to pull through, though the first separation was extremely difficult for both of them. Henry became angry and secluded for several days. His heart was starting to give out. I allowed him to channel his aggression against me. The fight lasted for an hour. He began to recover. Timber also became violent and ill, though, being younger by almost six years, she fared better and her heart remained strong. Had they been at the age to experience real love, the separation would have been tragic. Henry has not completely moved on because he still remembers her."

"Poor boy," said Grace. "I may be able to help him. I started working on a formula a few years ago. My goal is to allow werewolves to think more like themselves while they're transformed. I am goin' back to work after Timber starts school. I'm so close to a breakthrough."

"That would be a welcome development for many of our werewolves," said Lord Frost. "Is there any way I could assist?"

"No, Sir, but thank you," said Grace. "Chad is the chemist. I find the formula and he and his team make it a reality. We like the way we have it set up and we have a contract to receive government fundin' for another twenty years. We're all set."

"Is your work inspired by your brother?" asked Lord Frost.

"Yes, Sir," said Grace.

"I have another question," said Chad. "Timber is fairly small in her wolf form, but she's strong enough to pull almost a hundred pounds. We found that out today."

"Oh yes, you see, that is because she does have some werewolf traits I forgot to mention. Timber is a very effective hunter because of her unique ability to shift between forms and the training from her mother. For up to two days after a full moon, she needs rare meat, otherwise, she must hunt. Her instinct will override the human part of her brain if she does not receive what her body requires.

"Her power is also a werewolf trait. As she grows, her strength will increase. Elizabeth could take down a full-grown bison alone with ease. Daniel was able to hunt wild boars without being wounded. With her strength should also come a warning. Within the next few years, her jaws will be capable of catastrophic damage to the bone. Now, she is only capable of fracturing the ulna, which is the thinnest bone in the arm, though she is capable of mutilating muscle. When she reaches maturity, her jaws will be capable of shattering the femur, which is the thickest bone in the body, with one bite. Her claws will be able to rip open a throat easily. Right now, she could take out the fibula if she hit it just right with her claws. She is small, but she is extremely powerful.

"Timber is already trained to kill if she needs to, though her smaller size could be a problem at this point in time. In a few years, she'll be capable of killing a man three times her size. Werewolves go through a power increase between eighteen and nineteen. If Timber does go through that, she will be capable of ripping limbs from a body with just a hard pull. Timber will be lethal in every sense of the word. Her ability to shift at will makes her particularly dangerous. If she feels her life is threatened and she is cornered, she will attack with intention of killing. It is part of her nature as a wolf."

"Will there be warnin' signs?" asked Grace.

"If she becomes territorial or aggressive at all, leave her be for your own safety," said Lord Frost. "Scaring her would be an unnecessary risk. Her wolf instincts for survival will take over the human part of her brain completely. I have seen it happen. If she is afraid of something, Timber will avoid it so pay close attention to her body language. When she is fully grown, she will be much larger than a normal wolf because of her unique heritage, so aggressive behavior is better avoided. However, she should be allowed to continue strength and endurance training on her own. It is crucial to her because of what she is."

"Ok," said Grace. Timber heard her sigh. "Is there anythin' else you feel we should know?"

"Just one thing," said Lord Frost. "Trust Timber's instincts. It will be to your advantage to listen to her if she refuses to go into a building or near someone. Her instincts will always warn her of potential danger. There are supernatural beings everywhere. Ghosts, angels, and demons I cannot capture, for example. Timber can sense them and she knows if they pose any danger."

"If she's in her wolf form, how will she tell us?" asked Grace.

"She will try to prevent you from going to where the danger is."

"Good," said Grace. "Does she have any fears we should be aware of?"

"As a human, Timber tends to be timid around strangers. There have only been two exceptions that I am aware of; Henry, and a tree elf named Emmie. I am sure she will be warier now after her parent's death. As a wolf, Timber is not afraid of much. She knows she's dangerous and she has the mentality that she is bigger than she is, but I do not think that is a bad thing."

Timber heard Lord Frost rise to his feet.

"I believe that is everything. Do not forget, Timber was raised a wolf. Now, she needs to be raised as a human. However, she will never lose her wolf traits. They are a part of her. I know your work allows you to study cases like Timber's. Take advantage of it. Timber needs special care if she falls ill. I must excuse myself now. As I promised, I will keep an eye on her from time to time."

"Safe travels," said Grace.

Timber heard the front door open and close so she closed her eyes, thinking about the boy named Henry, marshmallows, and her mother. After several minutes, Timber grew too tired to keep thinking and she fell into a deep, peaceful sleep.

The next morning was a busy one. Timber was woken earlier than preferred but was rewarded handsomely with a breakfast of steak and eggs. The first stop was Furniture Mart. Timber and Emily were allowed to pick out a brand-new bedroom set within a specific budget. Timber picked a beautiful French Provincial set with a polished nightstand, a dresser, a vanity, and a headboard. Emily found one that was solid white with intricate curves and details. Then the girls picked out their mattresses. Timber was hesitant. In her memory, she had never had her own mattress before. She had always slept in a large basket because she liked to sleep in a ball.

"It's alright, Honey," said Grace gently, when Timber whispered her concerns about not being able to find one. "Just lay down on them until you find one that is comfortable for you. Don't worry about how it smells."

So Timber tried laying on them. She tried five before finding one that was soft enough to make her want to sleep in the store. Grace and Chad purchased the new items and then the family made their way over to Ace Hardware. They walked inside and Timber immediately turned green and covered her nose.

"Oh, Darlin' here!" said Grace. She handed Timber her gloves to help filter out the smell. "Does that help?"

Timber nodded but she still looked green.

"We'll pick your color first and I'll take you outside," said Chad.

Timber nodded. They moved quickly but Timber was getting greener. Chad rushed her outside where she vomited into the trash can. Grace and Emily joined them. When Timber was finished, she looked up at her aunt and uncle.

"I'm sorry. The smell was too much," she said.

"It's alright," said Grace. "What color do you want?"

"Grey," said Timber. "Like my fur."

"Alright," said Grace. "Do you think you could handle the garden section? Good. Here is what I want you to do. Go and pick the prettiest hydrangeas you can find while Emily and I get the paint. Can you do that?"

"Yes, Ma'am," said Timber.

So Timber and Chad walked into the nursery and Timber asked an employee where the hydrangeas were. Timber took her time looking at the potted flowers and eventually she found four pots that she liked. She picked up two and handed them to Chad. Ten minutes later, Grace and Emily came up to them.

"The paint is paid for," said Grace. "I'm goin' to come back after lunch to get it so Timber doesn't get overwhelmed again. I've already hired painters to come tomorrow. We'll take them to the park to play. Every room should be done by dinner."

"Sounds great," said Chad. "Let's go home and reload the puppy."

Timber grinned.

The following morning, Timber was once again woken earlier than was wanted. This time she was told to open her window after getting dressed. She obeyed readily. When she went down the stairs, she saw multiple strangers in the living room. Though she was still in her human form, her throat produced a low warning growl.

"These men are here to paint," said Grace, with a stern look at Timber. Then she addressed the painters. "I have the paint cans labeled for the rooms. The blue paint for the porch goes on the ceiling and nowhere else. How long should this take?"

"About five hours, Ma'am," said the head painter.

"Alright. Girls? Are y'all ready?"

"Yes, Ma'am," said Emily.

"Let's go," said Chad.

The family spent the entire day out of the house. After a filling breakfast at Eggheads, they went to the Coast Cinema Theater to see the sequel of The Fox and the Hound. Timber and Emily talked about it all through lunch at Laurel Deli Cafe. After finishing their meal, the family went to Johnson Park by the middle school. Timber loved this place. After getting permission to Turn, she sniffed along the trail with her nose to the ground and her tail wagging endlessly. It was a good hike up the hill but the view of the tracks was worth it. By the time dinner rolled around, both girls were worn out and ready to go back to their new house.

"We have another hour," said Chad.

"But they said five hours," said Timber.

"The smell is still going to be too much for you," said Chad. "We want it to air out some more before we go home."

"Alright," said Timber. "How are you affording all of this?"

"Work pays well," said Chad, "and we saved enough over the years to pay for the house in full using cash. The old owners were so happy they took ten grand off. We're using the savings to put the house together now, rather than doing it little by little."

"How much do you make?" asked Timber.

"Between the two of us we make seventy-two hundred dollars after taxes," said Chad. "Rent at the apartment was less than a week of wages."

"Are we rich?" asked Emily.

"Comparatively," said Grace. "We make enough to live well. But just know that just because we can afford it, doesn't mean we need it. I would rather make memories with you and feed you well rather than just buy things. Things are not as important as family. I want you to remember that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34M 928K 63
Seventeen-year-old Scarlett Hayes is living her life by her own rules. Losing her parents at a young age has made her strong and fiercely independent...
9.1K 485 22
She has dreamed of him every night since she was a little girl. He has searched for her since the dawn of time. Arella CĂ©leste has seen things no one...
1.6K 45 24
Willow. Daughter of the devil, kidnapped at a young age, finally escapes. She can finally go back home to her father and brothers but what if she goe...
33 0 34
After a chaotic night in which her sister goes missing and her city is deserted and destroyed, Keira-a young woman struggling to recover from the dea...