Time Will Tell

Da SandyLoyd

Romance and adventure…a trip to where an American tradition began… Libby Edwards, a gifted horsewoman, unwitt... Altro

Time Will Tell Part 1
Time Will Tell Part 2
Time Will Tell part 3
Time Will Tell part 4
Time Will Tell Part 5
Time Will Tell Part 6
Time Will Tell Part 7
Time Will Tell part 8
Time Will Tell part 9
Time Will Tell part 10
Time Will Tell Part 11
Time Will Tell part 12
Time Will Tell part 13
Time Will Tell part 14
Time Will Tell part 15
Time Will Tell part 16
Time Will Tell part 17
Time Will Tell part 18
Time Will Tell - Part 19
Time Will Tell - part 20
Time Will Tell - Part 22
Time Will Tell - Part 23
Time Will Tell - Part 24
Time Will Tell - Part 25
Time Will Tell - Part 26
Time Will Tell - Part 27
Time Will Tell - Epilogue and author's note

Time Will Tell - Part 21

36K 840 19
Da SandyLoyd

A bubble of excitement warmed Libby’s insides. This adventure with Colin would continue at an old-fashioned ball tonight. Well, it wasn’t old-fashioned for now, but to her it would be like stepping into a painting from times long past.

Someone abruptly stepped too close to her, and she had to pull hard on the reins of Colin’s saddle horse. Riding single file along Third Street behind Colin and with Giselle following, she weaved in between two horse-drawn wagons parked on opposite sides of the dusty road that had suddenly become crowded with a different kind of traffic than what she was used to.

The din was totally different from twenty-first century Louisville. There were no interstates or congested streets with cars buzzing, horns honking, or sirens blaring to interrupt the quiet. In fact, the sounds seemed amplified without the background traffic muffling the noise of other activity. People shouting, horses neighing, dogs barking, and wagons rumbling carried on the air for blocks.

Libby tried not to gawk at the incredible sights. Dressed in a rainbow of colors, people walked along the sand-colored road. It was like seeing a Monet painting come to life. Everything moved at a much slower pace here. She wondered if she’d ever get used to seeing the formality of the late nineteenth century. Even more amazing, they all seemed so comfortable. She stretched her legs farther into the stirrups and took a deep breath. Her riding habit wasn’t too bad, except for the corset. She’d never get used to wearing one.

Eventually Third Street widened and the traffic thinned. By the time they reached the outskirts of town, they were the only ones on the road.

Libby glanced around at the peaceful scenery. It was quiet enough to hear birds chirping and insects buzzing.

“I can’t get over how different it all is,” she said to Colin as he came to a stop beside her.

He nodded. “I can’t imagine what the area will be like in a hundred years. You’re lucky. You’ve glimpsed both past and future.”

Colin dismounted, helped both her and Giselle off their mounts, then led the horses to a tree and tethered them to a branch.

Libby turned a full circle, taking it all in. She pointed. “I think the twin spires are located in that area. I have no point of reference, so I can’t be certain. Just think. This is where the tradition begins.”

“Twin spires? Hmmm.” His eyes followed her hand. “They’ll start on it soon. The grandstand will be over there. The track should be ready for the spring meet.”

Giselle sighed. “I cannot wait. I love going to the horse races. We went many times in France. There is nothing so exciting as watching the horses run, especially when your horse wins.”

“So, you’re a gambler?” Colin teased.

Giselle’s lips curled into a sly smile. “Oui, we all become gamblers when we go to watch thoroughbreds run, n’est-ce pas? And after seeing such beauties, picking one to win cannot be avoided.”

Colin grinned. “I never imagined you as a gambler. Maybe you’re not such a good influence over my Libby after all.”

Snorting, Libby swatted at his shoulder. “I hate to break it to you, but I’ve already been to the track. Too many times to count. Giselle’s right. The minute you view the horses from the grandstand, you can’t help but become a gambler.” Libby sighed, remembering the fun she and Bev used to have. “There is nothing like a day at the races. Even when you lose, you don’t mind because it is so entertaining.”

“My, my.” Colin shook his head, tsk-tsking. “The temperance ladies would have a field day with you two. I suppose you both drink to excess, too.”

“I’ve been known to sport a hangover now and again.” Libby grinned, enjoying his teasing. “How about you, Giselle? Ever drink too much French wine? Enough to cause a headache the next day? We mustn’t disappoint our host.”

Giselle laughed and winked at Libby. “Of course, but only on special occasions.”

“I’ll have to watch out for you, Miss Edwards,” Colin admitted, holding out his hand. “It’s time we head back.”

Libby smiled, wishing that her time with him would never end.

The horses seemed to sense their journey was ending and trotted at a faster pace. Every now and then Libby would egg Colin on, and a race would ensue. The two would shoot ahead of Giselle, galloping down the road at breakneck speed.

“How did you do that,” Libby asked after losing the second of three races. “I should have easily beaten you.”

“Skill?” Colin’s sideways grin was disarming.

“Ha! I’m more skilled than you. I should have won, and you know it.”

“I can’t allow that.” He shook his head. “Be happy for the one win. Where you’re concerned, I fight extra hard to maintain an advantage.”

Libby grunted. “That’s so macho. You know, Colin, men and women are equal in the twenty-first century. We don’t play these little games of one-upping.”

“Oh?” He eyed her for a moment too long. “I don’t belong to that century, so those rules don’t apply. Besides, I like playing games with you, Libby. What’s more, as long as we’re together, I’ll always relish winning.”

Libby could only laugh at his audacity. He was the ultimate male. She didn’t mind losing to someone as sexy and as potent as he was. It made surrendering that much sweeter.

Back at the hotel, Colin escorted the two women to their room. Before turning to leave, he said, “Be ready no later than 8:15. We don’t want to be too fashionably late. Dinner is served at nine.”

~

Libby considered her reflection in the mirror. “Giselle, your sister is very talented. Look how beautifully this dress hangs. The material is gorgeous.” She felt transformed, as if she were Cinderella going to the ball. The midnight blue creation fit snugly at the bodice, bustled slightly in the back, and flowed into a small train. The gown, cut low in the front, showed off her sleek shoulders. Best of all, Libby loved having cleavage, which made wearing the corset easier to endure. “You need to pinch me so that I know it’s real.”

Oui, she is talented, but you make her creation shine.”

Glancing at her new friend, Libby smiled. “You are also one to make a dress shine. Look at you. I’d venture to say, you’ll turn a few heads tonight.”

“I just want to have a good time. I love to dance. Thank you, Libby, for insisting I do this. It is much better than going to dinner alone.”

“Why is it that you can go to dinner alone and I can’t?” She scrunched up her nose. “I don’t understand all the social restrictions.”

“There are a lot of rules, but it is not so bad in this country. Not like Great Britain, where they are tedious about how to act. Still, there is one similarity. The rules differ for the working class versus the wealthier class. If one is a servant, she is invisible.”

“Seems kind of stupid, if you ask me.”

“You will be with Colin. Wherever he goes, they know him. Since you’re with him…” Smiling, she shrugged.

“God, I hate rules.”

“Most are in place for our safety,” Giselle said in a no-nonsense tone. “Not all men are gentlemen, and many take advantage of women if they can.”

Libby sighed. “I never thought about the women who went before me and paved the way to equality.”

“You are talking about suffragettes, n’est-ce pas? Oui, I’ve heard of them. Some men do not like them. You should be careful about what you say in front of Colin’s friends.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be on my best behavior. I’ve had a little practice with Dave’s friends.”

“Dave? Who is Dave? Does Colin know about him?”

“It’s a long story.” Libby looked in the mirror again and patted her head. “I love what you’ve done to my hair. I realize short isn’t in, but it really looks chic. And what is that stuff you put on my eyelashes? My eyes stand out and appear darker, but I don’t look made up.”

Giselle smiled smugly and winked. “I’ll never tell. We French have some secrets.”

Moments later, Libby answered Colin’s knock at the door.

“My God, Libby,” he said, standing in front of her. He motioned for her to turn around. “Look at you! I’ll be fending off the men all night.”

Blushing, she looked down at her gown. “Thank you.” She cleared her throat and glanced at him, worrying her bottom lip. “Social situations aren’t my specialty. Dave always said I lacked polish. I hope I don’t embarrass you tonight.”

“Dave is a fool. You lack no polish, Elizabeth. You’re brilliant the way you are, the rarest of gems.”

Libby loved hearing his compliments. She slipped her arm into his curved elbow. “You look very dapper, Mr. Thorpe. I’m being escorted by the most handsome man of all.”

Chuckling, Colin turned to Giselle, who now stood next to him. After telling her how beautiful she looked, he offered her his other elbow. “Shall we? I will be the envy of all who know me, escorting two lovely ladies to the ball.”

He led them down the stairs and out of the hotel to George and the awaiting carriage. Colin helped both Libby and Giselle ascend into the vehicle before seating himself. George climbed on board and they were off.

A mansion soon came into view as the open carriage turned onto a treelined drive.

“Tomorrow, Jameson is having one of his balloon ascensions and fireworks afterward,” Colin said as the conveyance slowed, easing behind a line of other horse-drawn carriages.

“That sounds like fun,” Libby said enthusiastically. “Who is Jameson?”

“Jameson Claremont. He’s hosting the ball tonight.”

George stopped the vehicle and jumped down.

Arm in arm with Colin in the middle, the three started up the steps leading to a large veranda.

Hundreds of candles flickered everywhere, shedding soft light into the now darkening night. Men in formal black-tie attire, complete with top hats, escorted gloved women dressed in gowns and matching hats, these colors more Renoir than Monet.

Colin practically had to drag Libby into the huge entryway. “Don’t gawk, love. There are people behind us. You’ll have plenty of time to take in the sights later.”

Amazing, she thought, picking up her pace. It was like stepping into a page from a fairy tale, so much so that Libby felt the magic of the event. Who wouldn’t want to attend a ball and dance by candlelight?

This must be what it’s like to attend a Derby party that the elite of the city held every year, or walking the red carpet on Oscar night. When she realized there was a receiving line ahead, she froze. “Colin, they’re announcing people. Can’t we slip in the back?” She didn’t want to be singled out in such a public way.

“There’s no reason to worry,” he said, offering a reassuring smile. “Trust me, Libby. You’re the loveliest woman here. No one will say or do anything to make you feel uncomfortable. Otherwise they’ll have to contend with me.”

Nodding, she forced herself to relax and follow Giselle’s lead.

She heard their names being called out as they walked farther into the room until they stood in front of a couple Libby assumed to be the Claremonts.

“Colin, so nice to see you again,” the man said, shaking Colin’s hand. “I’m glad you’re out and about after your loss.”

“Thank you, Jameson.” He turned to Libby. “May I present a friend of my mother’s and her companion. Miss Elizabeth Edwards and Giselle Franklin. Mr. and Mrs. Claremont.”

Libby smiled. “So nice to meet you.”

Giselle followed suit.

“See, that wasn’t so bad, was it?” Colin whispered in her ear.

“No.” But this is only the beginning, she thought, still in awe over the scene in front of her.

They were directed farther into the ballroom where Colin signaled a servant holding a tray of champagne-filled glasses.

While sipping champagne, Libby met so many people it was hard to keep track of them all.

Eventually Colin took her drink and set it down with his. “I’ve been waiting all afternoon to dance with you,” he said, leading her in a waltz that she was now comfortable in following. Libby sighed, loving the romance of being swept around the room while the orchestra played. She was living the fairy tale.

“What do you think?” Colin released his hold as the music died. His hand lingered at the small of her back.

“What can I think? It’s pretty impressive,” Libby replied honestly, looking into his questioning eyes. “I’ll never forget this night as long as I live. Thank you for bringing me.”

He smiled. “The pleasure is all mine.”

“Dinner is served,” a servant announced, and several formally-clad waiters steered the large group into the dining room. Never in her life had Libby seen anything so spectacular. Everywhere she looked, there were tables set with enough silver and crystal to fund a small war.

Libby and Colin were seated at the main table, which held at least fifty people. Giselle, all smiles, sat across from them and next to one of the gentlemen she had danced with earlier.

Talk while they ate centered on the new Louisville Jockey Club. There was much speculation. Libby smiled, knowing exactly what the future held.

She also didn’t miss the speculative glances from several of the women at the table, at the same time wondering who they were. Did they have designs on Colin? They seemed very interested in what he was doing. A streak of jealousy went through her. The women were gorgeous and sophisticated—much like Dave’s colleagues’ wives. A horrible thought struck. Once she went home, Colin would be at these women’s mercy. Pain ripped through Libby at the image of Colin spending time with anyone other than her. Pushing the disturbing notion away, Libby refused to allow anything to spoil her time tonight.

After dinner Giselle danced, and Colin became immersed in a conversation with Malcolm Webster, his solicitor. His wife, Susan, smiled at Libby as the two men chatted away. “This could last awhile,” she said. “Would you care to walk outside and get some air? These events can sometimes get stuffy.”

Looking over to find Giselle once again being swept off her feet, Libby nodded. Her friend would be OK for a few minutes.

“How long do you think they’ll be talking,” she asked as they headed toward the door. Libby liked Susan, in fact had felt immediately comfortable with her upon their introductions earlier that evening.

Susan flashed a wicked smile. “We’ll give them about ten minutes to finish. If they haven’t found us by then, we’ll go looking for them.” Though tall and statuesque with striking features—shining black hair, a fair complexion, and ice-blue eyes—she was also a warm, friendly woman with a good sense of humor. Even though she appeared older, she didn’t make Libby feel gauche and unsophisticated like the Stepford wives did.

As they reached the outside garden, Susan said, “You’re old family friends?” When Libby nodded, she offered a genuine smile. “Colin’s one of my favorite people, so it’s nice to see him smiling for a change.”

Libby glanced back at Colin and her smile widened. “He does seem happy, doesn’t he? Did you know his wife?”

“Yes. I knew Abby,” Susan said a little stiffly.

Her unexpected change in demeanor threw Libby and she couldn’t stop from asking, “What was she like? Was she pretty?”

“Abigail Thorpe was a beautiful woman.”

It figures she’d be beautiful, Libby thought as her smile turned into a frown. “I’m still curious about her. I never got the chance to meet her.”

“Colin deserved better. I don’t like to speak ill of the dead, but she wasn’t a pleasant person to be around,” Susan admitted, her expression becoming more solemn. “Unfortunately, due to our husbands’ relationship, we had to spend a lot of time together.” Susan stopped abruptly, clearly embarrassed, as if she’d said too much. “I hope you don’t repeat that. I should not have spoken out of turn. She was Colin’s wife, and as such she deserves my respect.”

“I wouldn’t dream of saying anything,” Libby replied, squeezing her arm affectionately. “Colin’s lucky to have such good friends in you and your husband.”

“Well, he’s just as lucky to have a friend in you, wouldn’t you say?” Susan said warmly. She place her hand over the one Libby had on her arm and added, “I think the men have had plenty of time to talk. Let’s go find them, shall we?”

Slowly walking toward the back steps, Libby caught part of a conversation that carried from the corner of the house in the opposite direction.

“She’s a friend of the family, so he says. Did you see her hair? It’s as short as a boy’s. What can that man be thinking to be bringing someone so gauche here?” The woman’s voice hesitated. “Besides, he’s still in mourning. His wife’s been dead less than a year.”

Libby stopped short when she realized they were talking about her.

“Oh, Caroline. Mourning never stopped you,” said the second voice. “You’re jealous because he never looked at you like that.”

“She’ll never hold him, that’s for sure, at least not after he sees me again,” the first, more shrewish voice shot back.

Susan also heard the exchange and whispered, “Vile gossip. We shouldn’t continue listening.” Neither moved as the second voice said, “He never looked at you before, what makes you think he’ll do it now?”

“Of course, he never looked at me before. He was married at the time.”

“That didn’t stop you from trying. Problem is, you haven’t figured out that he’s not interested in you. He does seem interested in that Elizabeth Edwards, though. Still, nothing will come of it. He’s married to his horse farm.”

Susan shook her head and flashed a look that said, “Don’t believe it.”

Knowing she shouldn’t eavesdrop, Libby couldn’t seem to summon the will to walk away.

“You just don’t know men, Emily. He tired of you. He’ll tire of his farm. And mark my words. He’ll tire of that chit out there.”

“You’re wrong, Caroline. He didn’t tire of me. He chose the farm over me. For you, it’s not even a matter of choice.”

The voices trailed off.

Libby cleared her throat and glanced at Susan, who shrugged and said with an apologetic smile, “It seems the widows Caroline Hillier and Emily Jones are having a chat about your Colin.”

Remaining silent, she nodded.

“I hope you don’t take anything they say to heart,” Susan said. “Caroline is a viper, who’s not happy unless she’s sinking her fangs into someone, usually someone else’s husband. And I’d heard Colin and Emily were seeing each other until about a month ago. I’m not sure if he broke off things, or if they ended of their own volition. What I do know about Colin—he would not be with you if Emily was his main interest.”

Struggling to smile, Libby tried not to worry about something she had no control over. Unfortunately, one question ate at her. What would happen when she left? Colin would definitely find solace somewhere. Somehow, the thought of him spending time with either woman didn’t sit right with her. Neither woman seemed to have Colin’s best interest at heart. If she couldn’t be here, the next best thing would be someone who made him happy, no matter that the idea pierced her heart.

Susan must have seen the sadness creep into her smile, because she grasped Libby’s hand and squeezed. “Let’s forget their conversation and go and find our men,” she said with forced cheerfulness. “I have a hankering for some dancing.”

Still gripping Libby’s hand, Susan tugged to get her moving in the direction of the house.

The men were in the same spot, apparently waiting for their return.

“Time’s up, dear,” Susan said, laughing. She released Libby’s hand and grabbed her husband’s. “Let Libby and Colin enjoy the evening. You can always talk later, but one can only dance at balls.”

Colin watched Susan and her husband take to the dance floor before turning to Libby with an outstretched hand. “Come, my sweet. Susan’s right. The music beckons. I don’t know what came over me. Imagine me forfeiting an opportunity to have you in my arms. It simply isn’t done.”

As he spun her around the room, his gaze zeroed in on hers, Libby felt as if they were the only two in the room. It was romantic and magical. She could dance with him like this forever, she thought, staring dreamily into his eyes.

If she wasn’t dancing, he was introducing her to people. Giselle came and went, staying only until some other young buck came to offer his hand for another dance. Libby couldn’t remember a time when she’d had so much fun. The night never lost its magic until Libby noticed a beautiful woman with a calculating stare bearing down on them.

“Why, Colin, darling,” she said, ignoring Libby as if she didn’t exist. “I didn’t know you were out of mourning?” Her smile matched the calculation in her eyes. “So sorry to hear about your wife. I’m sure her death came as a shock to you.”

Colin nodded, his smile identical to hers. “Thank you for your concern.” He turned to Libby and pulled her closer, his stance protective. “May I present Elizabeth Edwards, a good friend of the family. Elizabeth, this is Caroline Hillier.”

Minding her manners, Libby offered a polite smile, but was frozen on the spot with an icy glare. This woman was the consummate Stepford wife, and Libby had no intention of allowing the woman’s tactics to scare her. “How do you do?” Her phony smile amped up ten degrees. “So nice to meet you.” She’d said the same words all night, but this time no one could miss the insincerity in them as she held out her hand.

Caroline extended limp fingers. “Likewise,” she said, her voice dripping with contempt.

Libby risked glancing at Colin and was surprised to see him straining to contain his anger. He truly didn’t like her, thank God, but Libby had to admit, Caroline Hillier was beautiful.

The vein on Colin’s forehead became more prominent and Libby realized he wasn’t merely angry. He was livid. He bowed. “If you will excuse us?” While leading Libby to the dance floor, he added, “I believe this is our dance.”

Once on the floor, Colin relaxed slightly. Shaking his head, with an apologetic smile on his face, he said, “I’m sorry about that. She’s a menace. Don’t mind anything she says. Caroline has always had this mistaken impression that I’m interested in her. I want you to know here and now, so there will be no misunderstandings. I am not interested in her now, was never in the past, and will never be in the future. Is that clear?”

Libby smiled. “Crystal.”

“Good.” He chuckled.

While they danced, Libby reflected on the conversation she’d overheard, but unwilling to spoil what was left of the evening, she refused to dwell on what it meant.

Giselle walked up as the event was clearly winding down. “I’m so sorry, Libby. I was not the best companion. But it looks like you are having a good time, non?”

“Yes, very much so.”

“It looks like we all had fun,” Colin said. “But we should call it a night.” Offering his elbows, he added with a smile, “Shall we?”

Arm in arm, Colin escorted them out of the mansion. While they waited for their carriage, another beautiful woman walked up to them.

“Colin, I was hoping I might see you tonight.”

He smiled. “Hello, Emily.” He turned to Libby and Giselle, and made introductions.

Recognizing the name, Libby stiffened and offered another polite smile. Emily Jones seemed friendly enough, not the cold, calculating woman that defined Caroline Hillier. Still, her interest in Colin was more than apparent. Libby couldn’t release the rigid line of her shoulders. “It truly is nice to meet a friend of Colin’s,” she said with more cheerfulness than she felt. “I’ve met so many wonderful people tonight.”

They made small talk until their carriage rolled up and Colin said, “Can I drop you home, Emily?”

“No. I have an escort, but I appreciate the offer,” she said as a man walked up to the small group. “Oh, there you are, Thatcher.” Emily placed her hand on his arm. “Let me introduce you to Colin Thorpe.”

Libby caught the look that passed between Colin and Emily, wondering what it all meant as they shook hands and made the appropriate comments before climbing inside the awaiting carriage.

On the trip back to the hotel, Libby’s curiosity grew. Susan had said that Colin had been seeing the woman. Was he interested in her? “Emily seems nice,” she commented a few minutes later. “Tell me about her.”

“I’ve never given you any reason to doubt my love, have I?” He searched her face, his gaze too intense.

Libby cleared her throat, feeling a little foolish for the jealousy that seemed to have planted itself in her stomach and was now growing thorns.

“Emily’s in my past and will stay there. Even though you won’t be part of my future, you have nothing to fear from the widow.” He patted her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. “I am not a monk, Libby. We had a pleasant relationship for several months. I care about her as a friend, yes. But that is as far as it goes. We ended our liaison well before you and I became intimate. No one has captured my heart like you have, and I doubt anyone else ever will.” He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed it. “You have nothing to worry about from Emily. Trust me, my love.”

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

The Super Filly Da savannah

Narrativa generale

19.9K 736 19
16yr old Caitlyn saves a horse that will change her life forever. But how will this mare and her soon to be born foal change Not only Caitlyn's life...
36.1K 1.4K 45
Evelyn Holloway's life seemed perfect. Being the daughter of a wealthy business tycoon and a professional model meant that everything was handed to h...
100K 4.5K 42
For Madison Evans, success in the harsh world of eventing has always been a distant dream; ambitions of competing at the infamous Rolex Kentucky Hors...
39.5K 1.6K 30
[COMPLETED: undergoing editing] Taylor Hastings has always dreamed of attending the prestigious Elliot Falls Academy, but it came with a price, she w...