The Unspoken Heart

Af thousandwordstory

[ Completed ] Zoha's life has been weaved with tragical fate. Her parents died in a tragic car crash, when sh... Mere

Chapter 1: Sweetness of her Words
Chapter 2: Decent Charm
Chapter 3: Night with Dadi
Chapter 4: An Unexpected Loss
Chapter 5: Dark and Alone
Chapter 6: Sick from Grief
Chapter 7: Touch of resentment
Chapter 8: Slight Uneasiness
Chapter 9: Invited to Dinner
Chapter 10: Manal's Proposal
Chapter 11: Loving Relatives
Chapter 12: Tied in a New Relationship
Chapter 13: Zoha Back Home
Chapter 14: Flowers of Compliments
Chapter 15: Growing Interest
Chapter 16: In the Orange Glow of Study Room
Chapter 17: Assumed Affair
Chapter 18: Surprising Decision
Chapter 19: Engagment
Chapter 20: Gossip
Chapter 21: Tragical Past
Chapter 22: The Cut
Chapter 24: Sanctuary
Chapter 25: Telling the Truth
Chapter 26: Argument
Chapter 27: Unspoken Heart
Chapter 28: An Accident
Chapter 29: Words of the Heart
Chapter 30: Manal in Hospital
Chapter 31: Confession
Chapter 32: Facing her Fear
Chapter 33: Evening Tea
Chapter 34: Veiled Secret
Chapter 35: Manal
Chapter 36: Reflection in the Mirror
Chapter 37: Rubab's Visit
Chapter 38: Unsettling Silence
Chapter 39: Shehryaar
Chapter 40: Once After All
Chapter 41: Manal's Resilience
Chapter 42: One Word Decision
Chapter 43: Giving Her Words
Chapter 44: Engagement Plannings
Chapter 45: Zoha's Shopping
Chapter 46: Necklace of Love
Chapter 47: Engagement Night
Chapter 48: The Nightmare
Chapter 49: Call From Her
Chapter 50: Mehndi
Chapter 50 Mehndi part II
Chapter 51: Forever Near
Chapter 52: Dinner
Chapter 53: Before leaving
Chapter 54: Farewell
Chapter 55: New Home
Last Chapter
Author's Note
Epilogue
Author's note
Post-Novel Author's note

Chapter 23: Heartbroken Zoha

4.8K 310 31
Af thousandwordstory

Shehryaar lightly closed the door and walked to his mother, who was standing, facing the window, her back turned to him. He anticipated a less pleasant talk since how the day had been. First there was an argument with Manal, then she saw him with Zoha in the kitchen and made it a big deal by telling on him to Saliha.

"Mummy, you called me?" He tore the sheet of silence.

Saliha folded her arms below the chest, and slowly turned, wearing a scowl on her face.

Shehryaar gulped in a breath, his protruding Adam's apple slid down. He knew it was all because of Manal, a tattle-tale.

"What am I hearing from Manal?" Saliha's tone was strict. "Is it true?" She angrily stared at Shehryaar.

"Who would you believe?" He counter questioned, mustering confidence in his voice. "Me who knows the exact truth? Or her who can only misinterpret it?"

"That's not the answer to my question." Saliha's temper heated a notch.

"I don't know what she told you." He exhaled looking at Manal. She was taking a revenge on him of the insult he did of her in front of Zoha.

"You were with Zoha and there is something going on in between you two?"

Shehryaar hated to taste the accusation. He couldn't believe his own sister could get her brother in trouble for no reason.

"Manal, how could you lie like this?" he said. "I need to know. Tell me." Rage entered his voice.

"I don't get why you are after your sister so much since we came back from the airport? Isn't your sympathy too much for Zoha?" Saliha scolded him instead.

"Mummy, why aren't you seeing from the fair perspective?" he said. "Do you really think Zoha is that type of girl who would take advantage of our kindness?"

"My concern is that you are giving Zoha the attention that Faiza deserves. You are engaged to her. It doesn't look nice that I have to say this to you."

"Mummy, why are you taking it wrong? Why are you blaming me for what's not true? Zoha is absolutely not that type of girl and I thought you knew this more than me." Shehryaar was tired of convincing his adamant mother. He felt nobody was listening to him, neither empathizing. They pointed their finger back at his flawless character.

"We can't be sure what's going on in someone's mind." Saliha meant Zoha. "It's not like it's written on someone's face that they are loyal."

"How can you doubt Zoha's character?"

"It's better for you if you think about Faiza?"

Shehryaar glared at Manal, who was breathing freely after the second argument. "First take this out of your mind that I am doing something wrong behind your back," he said to his mother.

"Then what was the reason she was with you?" Manal said.

"No reason."

"None at all?" She inspected him like she was the older sister.

"I went down to eat. She told me that she already ate and was washing the plate. I noticed she had a cut in her finger, so I told her not to wash because it was bleeding. Then you came. That's the truth and it's up to you if you believe me or not." He held his waist with one hand and lightly clasped his temple with the other.

"It must have been a slight cut. Not a big deal. It happens," Saliha said.

"She picked the broken pieces of glass that Manal broke. You should be ashamed of that," Shehryaar rebuked Manal.

"I didn't tell her to pick them up. It was her fault." Manal averted her eyes. She wasn't ready to acknowledge no matter what.

"Mummy, why aren't you saying anything to her? Don't you see how rude she has become?" He was tired of seeing his mother quiet when it came upon Manal. She was the root of all the problem. But Saliha was covering her daughter's actions by blaming Shehryaar. "I haven't seen you once that you would tell her, 'Manal don't disrespect your older brother like this. Stay quiet.' Instead you are always favoring her like she is your only child?"

"Shehryaar-" Saliha said.

"Just leave it. I am very disappointed in my own sister." He turned around towards the room door. "Don't think about interfering in my business again. It was enough what you did today."

He left with a mad slam at the door.

********************************

The next evening, Faiza came over to see her beloved Saliha khala and Manal, like it had been months since they last saw each other. She found Saliha working in the kitchen and thought to assist with small things. Manal was excited as usual. She sat on the countertop, overlooking the process.

"Come and try to cut some carrots. Believe me it's so easy," Faiza said, smiling.

Manal clicked her tongue. She was grinding on the small piece of carrot that she took from the fridge. "Nah. I am enjoying looking at you."

"Well cutting vegetables is more enjoyable."

"Hey, when you are done, can we sit in the lawn?" Manal slid off the counter and fixed her small top, that left her tight-clad thighs exposing the shape of her body. Her hair were cut in layers, so she didn't tie them very often.

"Wait for me. This is the last one." Faiza tried to hurry through.

"Okay."

"It's fine, beta," Saliha said, taking the sharp knife from Faiza. "I'll do it. You go. I didn't call you to work here."

"Khala, I would have done it," Faiza insisted. She acted very compliant and good girl to impress Saliha.

"No, beta, I am good. You go."

"Alright." Faiza dropped the knife. "I love you, khala." She beamed with a big-hearted smile.

"I love you too, jaani."

Manal finished the last piece of carrot in her hand and chewed as they went out in the lawn.

"I missed you yesterday," Manal said.

"I thought it wouldn't be nice to bother you after you all came from the airport," Faiza said. "How was it by the way?"

Manal walked, giving extra sway to her hips. "It was good. But I didn't want daddy to go. He came for such short time." She reached for the lawn chair. "I need to tell you something. It wouldn't have been same if I told you on the phone."

"Really? What happened?" Faiza was calm and soothing from the tone of her voice. She thought everything was normal.

They settled in the lawn chairs, across from each other. Faiza's hair were sleek and shining around the frame of her face. She was wearing light eye-makeup and baby-pink lipstick, which made her look pretty.

Manal sat crossed-knee at the edge of the chair, restless. "You know what happened yesterday?"

"What?" Faiza leaned forward.

Manal's eyes were wide with an expression. "I saw Zoha with Shehryaar bhai last night."

"What?" Faiza was taken aback. "Where?"

"It was good that I came before-" Faiza interjected her.

"Before what?" she said.

"They were in the kitchen." Manal continued explaining. "I couldn't believe Zoha could show her cheapness like that. I am afraid she would cast a spell on bhai and steal him from you. I am telling you."

"How can Shehryaar even think about her?" Faiza begrudged. "I can't believe as much as she is all quiet and acts kind, she is as clever and nasty-minded." She was so possessive about Shehryaar that hearing he was with Zoha, got her shocked and angry.

"And when I said, 'bhai, you know you're engaged to Faiza. Then what is this?'- that stupid Zoha said, 'it's nothing like you're thinking'- with a confidence. What can you expect from her? She is involved in bhai."

"What did you do then?"

"I told mummy," Manal said. "She called him and scolded him. Then an agreement started."

"Why did khala scolded Shehryaar? It wasn't his fault. He is innocent. The true mastermind is Zoha. She thinks she can easily get Shehryaar in her trap. I am not gonna let that happen. No matter what." Faiza teeth were gritted. Steam of madness was stirring her restless. She couldn't wait to face Zoha and spit her anger.

"Mummy, didn't yell at Zoha because of daddy," Manal said. "She is his only niece. I think this is so not fair. Is she is doing something wrong then she should be punished. Daddy has always shared my side of love with her too. She is not his biological daughter. I am." She cursed at Zoha in her heart and started wishing for something bad to happen to her.

"Did something else happened too?" Faiza posed a question in a mysterious way.

"I have noticed that bhai is drawn more into her. She isn't what she seems like. You are right about that." Manal thought quietly.

"Where is Shehryaar right now?"

"He left before you came here."

Faiza looked at the driveway. He was out. And wasn't back home yet. The sky was splashed with evening colors. Brightness was beginning to subside. She was worried more than ever about him. She twiddled with her fingers, tension glowing on her face.

"Do you think he is into her?" she said.

"Believe me. I won't let anything happen to him." Manal solaced her ill-worry. "He is made for you and you are made for him."

"But-"

"You trust your best friend or not?" She touched Faiza's hand, looking in her eyes. "I will not let Zoha live peacefully. Since the day she was born, she has taken over everything. She is mentioned in everything. She is more loved than me. I hate her so much."

"I trust you." Faiza nodded. "I am afraid I will not be able to fall asleep until Zoha lives here. I am worried from Shehryaar's side." She got up, as if to take an instant action. Manal got up too.

"What happened?" Manal fretted.

"You don't know what I am going through. I can't control myself."

"Faiza, I am here to handle it. Sit down. Don't worry. Please." Manal sat Faiza down, but she was fidgety.

"I thought it was just my instincts," Faiza said. "But now I can't pretend anymore that nothing is going on between them."

"I don't know where she came from." Manal envied. "I wish she was never part of our family. Then it would have been so much better."

Faiza glared, looking at Manal, thinking.

"I know what you are feeling and thinking. I totally understand. I am your best friend," Manal said. "Nobody can take your place. You are engaged to him. Soon you two will be married."

"I love Shehryaar," Faiza declared. "He is my choice."

Manal was awed at her confidence. She knew Faiza loved him. Nobody could comprehend her friend more than her. She could do anything to stop Zoha from coming in their way.

*************

Zoha came out of her bedroom and went downstairs. She feared bumping into Manal since what happened yesterday. Her heartbeat sped up, like fists were banging against the wall, as her eyes darted around the living area. At least no one was there. She sauntered to the study room and noiselessly closed the door.

It was her sanctuary. She felt protected within the walls of this room. It was as if she was in her own world, away from the danger. Away from evil eye. The feeling was unlike any she could describe through words.

She pulled a textbook from the shelf and laying the heavy weight open on her thin arms, she skimmed to the page one-hundred ninety five, because there was a paragraph she needed to reread. Her right eye twitched from straining. Sometimes the pressure on her eyes inflicted her headaches. Her temples throbbed and she massaged them in circular motion. She began to doubt if she had weak eyesight. The pain bothered her more than usual. But how could she know if she had glasses. She barely went to the doctors.

As she was done, she closed the textbook and tried to memorize the main idea of the paragraph. She kept repeating it on her tongue in a low voice.

Opening the door, she scanned outside the study room. Then came out and pulled the door behind. Before her feet hit the stairs, she sniffed on the aroma from the kitchen. Saliha was cooking. It smelled tasty. What was being cooked, Zoha didn't know. She stood, holding the banister, lost in the thought of how Saliha bought a recipe book from the supermarket one day and promised to try them. But it seemed as if she didn't want Zoha to come in the kitchen anymore. She was avoiding her.

Zoha was afraid why Saliha was acting that way. What sin did she commit that Manal and Saliha were punishing her for? What had she done wrong? Was it because of Shehryaar?- that he was engaged to Faiza? But, Zoha didn't have any feelings for him. She barely found herself to be comfortable with him.

She was puzzled. What could she do to avoid that wrong impression on her? What more proof did Manal needed that Zoha was not that type of girl- who could do such cheap act, since after the fateful bond was formed between Faiza and Shehryaar? She never tried to come in their way. Could never even think. She, herself, kept a distance from Shehryaar. But he was the one who came near her with an excuse of cousin-relationship. And nothing more than that.

A new overwhelming burden befell on her. She didn't know how to tell Saliha that there was nothing going on between her and Shehryaar. Who would listen to her? They would think she was taking advantage of their sympathy and was fooling them in their own eyes. Beside she could do nothing. Her mind was absolutely vacant to think of anything else. She could only pray to Allah and wish that Faiza and Shehryaar married each other as soon as possible, so she was free from this blame.

As she was standing on the stairs, tangled in thoughts, she decided to go out in the lawn. The sun was about to sink to the horizon and the dulling evening looked beautiful. Her mind was exhausted from reading and thinking about work. She longed to spend some free time, away from university work. It was unhealthy to take constant stress. Her eyes were tired and sick of seeing the words in the book. She felt she would go crazy. And before that happened, she stepped out in the lawn.

Her long georgette dupatta, hanging from the neck fluttered in the light wind. The strands of small hair fondled her nose and the cheek. She slipped them behind her ear and strolled to the grassy area. Her mood was slowly beginning to get better. The composure in the air was enough to sweep her worry of the work. She wished she could find time to come out like this every time.

Just as her eyes caught Faiza and Manal sitting in the lawn, she froze. A tiny fear stung her. Their less happy faces were looking back at her. They got up, and Zoha's heart pumped harder. Faiza's eyes were wide and angry. She came towards Zoha and stood face to face with her.

Her cutting expression made Zoha agitated.

"Come to the reality." Faiza began sharp and clear. "Stop dreaming about taking my Shehryaar away."

Zoha was startled. She looked at Manal, who was standing behind Faiza, more towards the side.

"My instincts were right. I knew there was something going on between you and Shehryaar. Your drama is not going to work in front of me. Do you have any shame?" Faiza reprimanded.

"Wh-wha-t-are-you-t-alking about?" Zoha stammered. Her breathing sped up. Her stomach unleashed an acidic sickness in her body. She could barely bring her words to her tongue in an unexpected situation.

"What are you trying to prove by asking that question?- that you are innocent? You don't know anything?" Faiza suppressed Zoha what-ever-left strength, leaving her unable to speak. "Unbelievable. You are still gonna act like that." She laughed in a sarcastic tone. "She is very innocent. She doesn't know what she is doing."

"I really don't know," Zoha said.

"You think I will stay quiet and have my eyes close as you take Shehryaar from me?" Faiza pointed at her, threateningly. "It will benefit you if you stay away from him. Learn to control your desires."

"It didn't mean if daddy was here, so you could do whatever you wanted." Manal's voice entered. "But beside that, you did an amazing job showing me down in front of my daddy. This is all part of your plan. To turn Shehryaar against me because there is no one left with you."

"I wouldn't have been able to know what was truly going through your mind up until now. Can't imagine a hideous face behind this mask." Faiza spat her spleen.

"Listen- this is all your misunderstanding." Zoha attempted to spell through the horde of heartbreaking accusations. "I didn't do anything."

"Forget that I am going to believe you. Did you leave enough for me to call you innocent?"

"Faiza." Zoha was decaying weak. She had no power, no words to regain strength in her voice and heart.

"Don't call my name. And stay away from Shehryaar and me. You have no right to interfere in my life. And create problems."

"If you can't see us happy, then go to hell from me," Manal berated. "Nobody needs you, neither you should try to come in between us."

Zoha's eyes were welled with tears. She turned away and ran inside the house. Closing the room door, she dropped next to the bed on the floor and bawled in the sheets. Water from her eyes snaked down her cheeks and dripped in the daman of the kameez. Her chest bulged with pain. She felt her face was ripped apart under the attack. Words sharp as blade were jabbed through her skin, making her bleed from everywhere. She shivered at the thought when Faiza accused her of having an affair with Shehryaar. Zoha asked herself, do I look like I can do such thing?

Above all, Zoha was immensely hurt from their behavior. Rude and merciless. They called her things that vilified her self-esteem. It made her want to die. She wished she was never born in this house, where nobody needed her, except Zafar, who was very very far away to ever know what had struck on her.

She trembled, face drowned in the sea of tears. Her eyes were bloodshot. She was vulnerable and powerless. She had nobody to support and give her comfort. No mother. No father. No dadi. All the beautiful people had abandoned her in the heap of hardships. Her call could not ever reach anyone's ear. They were deaf for her. She could do nothing beside ceaselessly crying in the darkness.

She picked her face from the bed and dabbed at her wet cheeks. She could feel her eyes swell and puffy. She got up and went to the mirror. Then watched herself with utter dread. The shine of innocence was gradually vanishing. Out appeared a horrid reality. The lines of depression were drawn deeper in her features. She couldn't recognize her own self. It was someone else, but her. The old happy and alive Zoha was gone from her, replaced with wretched, torn human.

One more glimpse and she averted her eyes to look at her reflection. It was hard to absorb what she was seeing. That was it. She couldn't bear to feel anymore insult. Nobody needed her and she could not stay here one extra minute. It was worse than she could ever imagine. Manal and Faiza detested her. And Saliha's behavior was enough to inform her that she did not want Zoha in the house, although she never spoke bluntly about it. But it was all understood. It was better to leave this place before somebody came up again in their ugliest form and reminded her.

She splashed cool water on her face and wiped it off with a towel. Then pulled out her luggage (that she put it away with the thought that she wouldn't ever need in again) and began packing her clothes in them.

After the nightfall, she waited for Faiza to leave. She did not tell anyone that she was going to her Yumna khala's house. Neither it was worth it. They weren't already going to care. Instead it would had made them happy that she was finally out of their lives.

Just as she discovered there was no one out in the lawn, who could question her about where she was going, she tottered the luggage to the driveway. Sajjid was in his quarter. She went and asked him that could he drop her off. He was disturbed from his comfort: he was sleeping. In his groggy mood, he could part identify himself in the reality, seeing Zoha at the quarter door.

"Zoha, beti?" He rubbed his eyes.

"I am sorry, Sajjid baba." Zoha tried not to sound sad. "Can you please drop me?"

"But, Zoha beti-" He stepped out of his quarter. "At this moment in the night? Is everything okay? You look in hurry."

"Sajjid baba, we can talk in the car. Please drop me off to my khala's house."

"Your going there again? Last time Zafar sahab was upset that you left this house."

"Now he is gone. He was the only one who called me his niece. Beside him nobody needs me."

"What are you saying, Zoha beti?" Sajjid- the poor soul was the only one who was hurt to hear that. His old, wrinkled face was innocently pleading her to stay. "How can you once again leave this house?"

"I have to. Only one can understand if he went through it," Zoha said. "I tried to make my space in the family members' heart. But I failed." She was helpless and crestfallen.

"Beti, you don't know how precious you are. It's them who have failed to take care of a beautiful gem." Sajjid had no power over Zoha, but he tried to persuade her to stay. "When you left me last time, I missed you so much that I called you in my prayer and said, 'Allah, may protect my beti from all sorts of evil and bless her with all the happiness.'"

Zoha couldn't see Sajjid sad. She loved him. But there was no other option for her.

"I wish-" she said, "that I had mummy and daddy like Manal. Sometimes I wonder why Allah gives one person everything and takes everything away from the other person."

"Those who have everything are the most ungrateful sometimes," Sajjid said.

"Then why does Allah take it away from them."

"Because it is a test for them. The more they have, the more they are away from Allah, because they are lost in worldly matters. Indeed he is the one always watching us. He will bestow happy times upon you, my dear. Don't lose hope."

Author's note
Hey guys! Whew. I am finally done typing this chapter. Way too long for me, since I had to type it on my IPad and as cramming, because I promised that the update would be today. On weekend. Throughout the whole week, I have been working on it, and got distracted many times due to work and stuff. It's hard to keep the mood and write the scene in the same tone. But I did it. I hope whoever has read this, liked it.

I love to keep my readers entertained and get them excited. I worked really hard on this, these words are coming out from my heart. Please respect my perseverance and hard work. If this chapter was good or really good, consider giving it a VOTE and please leave cheerful comments to make me happy.

To my Muslim friends, Have a healthy and really happy Eid!!! It would have been a Eidi from me to you by updating this on Eid day, but it was a sad chapter, so I didn't. Have fun!

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

144K 3.7K 78
Sasuke and Izami have never had it easy. Things have always been difficult for them, but now, with old scars and ghosts of the past still haunting th...
413K 24.1K 34
❝ She knew he can never be hers and yet she fell in love with him ❞ Fairytales exist only in books and movies. That's what Natasha Rehman told hersel...
202K 9.8K 102
Dark fan fiction of Randhir Its combination of all emotions of love life. love, possessiveness can harm someone as well as it makes feel protective s...
526K 23.1K 36
Not edited(first draft) Nayab Hasan 22 year old beautiful girl is a journalist. She is bubbly, kind hearted, adventurous and firm in her decisions. ...