The Fire Within Us (ATLA Fanf...

By XstardustwriterX

(Zuko x OC) Anika never wanted to be a firebender. She was a curse on her tribe, a bitter reminder of the vi... More

Prologue- Zuko
Chapter 1- Anika
Chapter 2- Zuko
Chapter 3- Anika
Chapter 4- Zuko
Chapter 5- Anika
Chapter 6- Zuko
Chapter 7- Anika
Chapter 8- Zuko
Chapter 10- Zuko
Chapter 11- Anika
Chapter 12- Zuko
Chapter 13- Anika
Chapter 14- Zuko
Chapter 15- Anika
Chapter 16- Zuko
Chapter 17- Aang
Chapter 18- Zuko
Chapter 19- Anika
Chapter 20- Zuko
Chapter 21- Anika
Chapter 22- Zuko
Chapter 23- Anika
Epilogue- Zuko

Chapter 9- Anika

18.6K 784 855
By XstardustwriterX

TW: nonconsensual kissing

***

Anika shifted uncomfortably in her seat as Hahn droned on about his maaaany achievements. The feast was drawing to a close, and she couldn't wait to slip away to her room and pretend this night had never happened. Hahn seemed okay at first, but he had become more and more dull as the meal progressed. He practically never let her talk, instead bragging about how amazing he was.

Anika let her eyes wander over to the main table and rest on Zuko. He was laughing amiably with Arnook, and Anika couldn't help but wish that she was sitting there instead. Or on the icy floor. Or in a jail cell. Or on top of a volcano. Basically anywhere but with Hahn.

From across the room, Zuko's eyes shifted to meet hers. For a brief moment, they held each other's gaze before Anika blushed and looked down at her empty plate.

"Hey Anika." Anika turned to find that Hahn was standing and extending her a hand. "This is about over; want me to walk you back to your room?"

"Sure." Anika felt a wave of relief as she accepted his hand and allowed him to hoist her to her feet. I can finally get away from this guy. She followed Hahn out of the banquet hall and into a passageway.

Where they should have taken a left, however, he stepped into the opposite hall. Anika furrowed her brow. "Isn't this the wrong way?"

"Nah, just a little detour. I want to show you something really beautiful."

"Oh, uh, okay." Anika reluctantly let Hahn guide her through several more hallways until one of them opened up into a small balcony. Anika's breath caught in her throat as Hahn stopped and they took in the view.

"Wow." She gazed out at the vivid colors of the afternoon sky. Oranges and pinks mingled together in breathtaking shades that could never be replicated by mankind. Golden sun shone off of the ocean and the glistening ice buildings. "You were right, this is beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as you."

Anika rubbed her neck awkwardly. "That's swee-mmph!" She was cut off mid-sentence as Hahn took ahold of the back of her head and pulled her in for a kiss. It lingered for an uncomfortably long time before he finally pulled away.

He twirled a stray stand of her hair around his finger. "Wanna check out the inside of my room for a bit?"

Not really, no. Anika pulled away and smiled apologetically. "Actually, I really have to get back to my room. Sokka needs me for, uh, making important plans."

"Mm, it won't take long." Hahn stepped so close that Anika had to back up, only to realize she was trapped in one of the balcony's corners.

Alarm bells started sounding in her brain. "No. I'm sorry, but I can't."

Hahn smiled, not phased in the slightest. "Trust me, babe, I'll make it worth your while." He dove in for another kiss, this time reaching and taking hold of her waist to pull her close. 

"Stop it!" Anika pushed his hands away and tried to dodge around him, but he only reached for her again and pulled her back into the corner.

"C'mon, I was just messing with you a little."

"It's not funny. Please, lay off and let me go."

"What, you didn't like it? How could any girl resist something like this?" Hahn leaned in for another kiss, but he never got that far. "I. Said. STOP IT!" Anika crossed her arms over herself and then thrust them out and away, flames spewing from her fingertips.

Hahn stumbled back, parts of his parka blackened and scorched. He stared at Anika with wide eyes before his face contorted into a snarl. "You're a-? You know what? Forget it! I'd never want to make out with a repulsive firebender, anyway!" He turned and stormed off.

Anika waited until he was well out of sight before taking off into a run for the guest wing. It wasn't far off, and soon she was standing in front of the doors to the lounge room. The lounge was a spacious living-room-type area with a couches arranged around a large fireplace. It branched off into separate bedrooms. Everyone of important rank was staying here, from the officials to Zuko to Sokka.

Anika slipped into the lounge, hoping and praying that no one was back from the feast yet and she could dissapear into her room unnoticed. No such luck. Zuko and Sokka appeared to have just arrived. They were setting up a Pai Sho board on a couch in the center of the room. Anika was pretty sure Sokka had never played, but maybe Zuko was teaching him.

As soon as the door clicked shut behind her, their heads snapped up to take her in. "So." Sokka scowled and went back to setting pieces on the board. "How was your date with lover boy?"

"Shut up, Sokka." Tears welled in Anika's eyes. She turned her head before they could be noticed and half-walked, half-jogged to her room and slammed her door behind her.

Sokka's next words were muffled. "What's her problem?"

Anika crossed the room, tore off her parka so she was in her normal blue and gold outfit, and then collapsed onto the bed. She tugged the thick animal skins that served as covers over her body and curled into a ball, trying to curb the uncontrollable quaking that suddenly overtook her. Tears flowed from her eyes, and she sniffed as she wiped some of them away. It could have gone even worse, but she still felt shocked, violated, and hurt.

A good ten minutes passed before there was a soft rapping on the door. Anika sniffed. "Go away, Sokka."

The door slowly cracked open, and Zuko's hesitant voice drifted through the room. "I... I made you some tea."

Anika bit back a groan, burrowing deeper into the covers and pulling them over her tear-streaked face. She didn't want him to see her when she was a complete mess. "Don't really feel like any, but thanks."

"C'mon, you seemed a little upset and it'll make you feel better."

Stupid Fire Nation royalty and their stupid tea. Pent-up rage built in Anika's chest and before she knew it, she was exploding, "I said I didn't want any! What is it with boys and not listening to you when you say no?! Leave me ALONE!" As soon as the words left her mouth she regretted them, but there was no taking them back.

Zuko's next remark was thoughtful and confused. "What's that supposed to mean?" There was a beat of silence, and Anika could almost hear gears turning in Zuko's head before he spoke again. This time his voice was hard, brimming with barely-contained anger. "What did you mean by that, Anika? Did Hahn-?"

Shit. She'd said too much. Anika bit her lip and searched her brain for something convincing to say back, but before she could, Zuko crossed the room and pulled back the furs she had heaped over herself.

His expression was like a storm cloud as he studied her now-exposed face. Anika swallowed and hastily swiped at the tears still trickling down her cheeks, but she knew it was too late. He'd seen her broken expression and drawn the only logical conclusion.

Zuko released the teacup he was still holding in one hand. It fell and shattered into tiny fragments on the floor. Without a word, he turned towards the door, but Anika reached out and grabbed his wrist before he got far. "Zuko, wait. It's not what it looks like. Don't do anything stupid."

Zuko turned, sparks flashing in his eyes. "Then why are you crying?"

Anika paused, considering lie after lie in her head before deciding on the truth. She sighed. "Hahn wouldn't stop trying to kiss me after I told him I wasn't interested, so I got scared. I firebent at him a little, and he stormed off. I'm a little shaken up, but I'm perfectly fine. I promise."

Zuko's bristling form relaxed, but only slightly. "I'm still going to make him regret it," he growled.

"Zuko. Stop for one second and think about this. We're on a important diplomatic visit with a lot on the line. The Water Tribe will be less than impressed if the Fire Lord beats up one of their top warriors. I swear that I'm okay. Just promise me you won't attack anyone."

Zuko took a deep breath. "Fine." He eyed her worriedly. "I'll promise as long as you swear you're alright."

Anika smiled. "I swear on your restored honor."

Zuko nodded solemnly, not even catching the tease in her voice. He looked sheepishly at the shattered glass at their feet. "Can I at least get you another cup of tea?"

"I'd like that." Anika settled back into the bed as Zuko disappeared out the door. She heard a couple low exchanges between Zuko and Sokka, followed by a bellowed, "HE DID WHAT?" Yet another bout of indistinguishable talking, this time considerably more heated and urgent. A door slammed.

Anika's gut sank, and she was just about to get out of bed and make sure Zuko hadn't gone back on his word when he reappeared in the doorway, clutching a fresh cup of tea. "What was that about?"

"Sokka left to find Hahn. I tried to stop him."

"Sure you did. Then why do you look so happy about it?"

Zuko's smirk quickly melted into a more serious expression as he handed Anika the tea. "What? He's not the Fire Lord, and they've had a rivalry going for ages. I also kept my promise, so there."

Anika sipped the tea. It tasted amazing, but she wasn't about to tell Zuko that. "You're the worst."

Zuko smirked. "Wow, thanks. I love you too."

Anika almost choked on her tea. She knew she was overreacting, but a warm blush rushed to her face at the unexpected words all the same.

Zuko's reached up and rubbed his neck as if he hadn't quite meant to word it like that, and his own cheeks turned a color to rival the red of his scar. "Well, umm, night. I'll let you get your beauty sleep. Not that you need it!"

Zuko continued to ramble as he backed up towards the door. "You're beautiful." His eyes widened in panic as he realized what had just left his mouth. "No no, not beautiful. I just meant that you're not ugly." He cringed. "Not ugly at all! You're-"

"Zuko." Zuko snapped his mouth shut at her words and gazed at her helplessly. Anika smiled softly at the normally-poised Fire Lord. "Thanks for the tea."

Zuko nodded silently, relief washing over his features as he understood that this was permission to stop talking. He backed up and disappeared out the door, bumping clumsily against it in the process. Anika's insides warmed with fondness as he cursed under his breath when he thought he was out of earshot.

Dork.

Anika slowly finished her tea, then burrowed back under the furs. This time there were no tears or quivering, and soon she had drifted off and was lost in a blissfully sweet dream.
_______________

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote on the chapters if you enjoy them. This story is complete now, but the support is still very much appreciated. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.2K 2.6K 57
Ivana was the granddaughter of a highly respected fire nation general. She grew up playing and sparring in the palace with Prince Zuko. They'd been f...
34.9K 811 12
Y/N Seang, a noble girl daughter to one of the most important clan in the Fire Nation, is a girl who grew up learning the way of fire. As the people...
44.9K 1.9K 61
What if there was someone else who could bend all four elements? Someone who was meant to help the Avatar? Meet Naya- born to a mother from the Sout...
90.7K 2.2K 27
(Zuko x oc) The Avatar and Zuko are strong but Aang must learn how to strengthen his fire bending. Kai is reluctant at first but she'll soon realize...