Chapter 9- Anika

TW: nonconsensual kissing

***

Anika shifted uncomfortably in her seat as Hahn droned on about his maaaany achievements. The feast was drawing to a close, and she couldn't wait to slip away to her room and pretend this night had never happened. Hahn seemed okay at first, but he had become more and more dull as the meal progressed. He practically never let her talk, instead bragging about how amazing he was.

Anika let her eyes wander over to the main table and rest on Zuko. He was laughing amiably with Arnook, and Anika couldn't help but wish that she was sitting there instead. Or on the icy floor. Or in a jail cell. Or on top of a volcano. Basically anywhere but with Hahn.

From across the room, Zuko's eyes shifted to meet hers. For a brief moment, they held each other's gaze before Anika blushed and looked down at her empty plate.

"Hey Anika." Anika turned to find that Hahn was standing and extending her a hand. "This is about over; want me to walk you back to your room?"

"Sure." Anika felt a wave of relief as she accepted his hand and allowed him to hoist her to her feet. I can finally get away from this guy. She followed Hahn out of the banquet hall and into a passageway.

Where they should have taken a left, however, he stepped into the opposite hall. Anika furrowed her brow. "Isn't this the wrong way?"

"Nah, just a little detour. I want to show you something really beautiful."

"Oh, uh, okay." Anika reluctantly let Hahn guide her through several more hallways until one of them opened up into a small balcony. Anika's breath caught in her throat as Hahn stopped and they took in the view.

"Wow." She gazed out at the vivid colors of the afternoon sky. Oranges and pinks mingled together in breathtaking shades that could never be replicated by mankind. Golden sun shone off of the ocean and the glistening ice buildings. "You were right, this is beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as you."

Anika rubbed her neck awkwardly. "That's swee-mmph!" She was cut off mid-sentence as Hahn took ahold of the back of her head and pulled her in for a kiss. It lingered for an uncomfortably long time before he finally pulled away.

He twirled a stray stand of her hair around his finger. "Wanna check out the inside of my room for a bit?"

Not really, no. Anika pulled away and smiled apologetically. "Actually, I really have to get back to my room. Sokka needs me for, uh, making important plans."

"Mm, it won't take long." Hahn stepped so close that Anika had to back up, only to realize she was trapped in one of the balcony's corners.

Alarm bells started sounding in her brain. "No. I'm sorry, but I can't."

Hahn smiled, not phased in the slightest. "Trust me, babe, I'll make it worth your while." He dove in for another kiss, this time reaching and taking hold of her waist to pull her close. 

"Stop it!" Anika pushed his hands away and tried to dodge around him, but he only reached for her again and pulled her back into the corner.

"C'mon, I was just messing with you a little."

"It's not funny. Please, lay off and let me go."

"What, you didn't like it? How could any girl resist something like this?" Hahn leaned in for another kiss, but he never got that far. "I. Said. STOP IT!" Anika crossed her arms over herself and then thrust them out and away, flames spewing from her fingertips.

Hahn stumbled back, parts of his parka blackened and scorched. He stared at Anika with wide eyes before his face contorted into a snarl. "You're a-? You know what? Forget it! I'd never want to make out with a repulsive firebender, anyway!" He turned and stormed off.