slow it down // zayn malik

By perksofbeingaweirdo

♫ I never, she never, we never looked back. That wasn't what we were good at. ♫ The Ragstock Music Festiva... More

slow it down
chapter one // home sweet home.
chapter two // loathing.
chapter three // too close.
chapter four // what you didn't know.
chapter five // give it up to the dj.
chapter six // helpless.
chapter seven // gonna let it burn.
chapter eight // no lies.
chapter nine // maybe i'll get drunk again.
chapter ten // battlefield.
chapter eleven // harder to breathe.
chapter twelve // like we only go backwards.
chapter thirteen // adjustments.
chapter fourteen // pressing pause.
chapter fifteen // in the zone.
chapter sixteen // harmonizing.
chapter seventeen // reconsideration.
chapter eighteen // pillow talk.
chapter nineteen // lies spread like wildfire.
chapter twenty // fire in our bones.
chapter twenty-two // do i wanna know?
chapter twenty-three // terrified.
chapter twenty-four // constant state of confusion.
chapter twenty-five // painful confliction.
chapter twenty-six // burning fires in this room.
chapter twenty-seven // comrade.
chapter twenty-eight // sunflowers.
chapter twenty-nine // droplets.
chapter thirty // loss of presence; loss of grace.
chapter thirty-one // out of breath.
chapter thirty-two // floating devices.
chapter thirty-three // lost & found.
chapter thirty-four // learning to speak with kisses on cheek.
// epilogue //
// music //
teaser // 'fix you'

chapter twenty-one // come together.

21.9K 681 124
By perksofbeingaweirdo

zayn's pov

"C'mon Linley, we had this problem before, jesus," I groan as I stand outside the porta potty, my arm being bent in an awkward angle behind me as Linley does her business in the small little plastic bathroom. 

Ignoring my complaints, Linley continues to painfully stretch my arm in an angle that it's not supposed to bend in. I wince and cringe in pain, doing all that I can to give Linley her privacy in her bathroom. 

"I can't pee with you listening!" Linley shouts, causing me to roll my eyes, a smirk playing at the edges of my lips. 

She's the definition of ridiculousness. 

"I'm not listening," I shake my head, wishing she would just hurry up and go. People stare at me and give me peculiar looks as the walk past me just hanging around the bathrooms. I give them an embarrassed little wave, trying to hide my face so they don't recognize me.

I could see the media going wild over me bothering some innocent girl as she tries to take a piss. Or maybe since everyone thinks Linley and I are dating, they'd think I was her little bitch, waiting for her to pee like a little lap dog. 

Either way, I wish she would just hurry up. I'll never know why it is girls take literally as long as possible when doing anything. 

"You're too quiet," She whines, still not peeing yet. 

"You're impossible," I grumble, throwing my other hand in the air, not quite sure what it is that she wants me to do. 

Still hearing silence, I groan and give in. I start to hum and sing to myself, being loud enough for Linley to do her business. It's funny how she can sleep in the same bed as me and literally be stuck to me 24/7 but she can't pee knowing I can hear her. 

I sing some of Linley's songs out loud, which probably makes her more uncomfortable than me hearing her pee would. I can't help but to laugh to myself as I hear Linley groan on the other side of the door. 

If irritating one another were a contest, Linley and I would swipe all the awards. It's as if we were put on this planet to annoy one another. 

After a few moments of movement on Linley's side, the door swings open and she exits the porta potty with peace. Knowing I can't hold it any longer, I take a step to enter the porta potty, hoping that Linley is as cooperative as I was for her. The last time I had tried going to the bathroom, I nearly pissed all over both Linley and I. 

I just thank my lucky stars that showering isn't a common occurrence at festivals like these, otherwise we'd have a whole other set of problems. I'm not saying that I wouldn't mind showering with Linley, but I know that Linley wouldn't be so cooperative.

Not that she's cooperative with anything. 

But I don't take a single step inside the stinky plastic contraption before Linley's hands go up to her mouth as she lets out a loud gasp, pulling me along as well. I nearly tumble to the ground as my wrist follows Linley's.

"Oh my god," She hisses, staring with wide, frantic eyes in the distance. 

"I've got to piss," I complain, "Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not going anywhere," I grumble, trying to get my wrist back again so I can relieve myself after holding it for an undoubtedly unhealthy amount of time. 

"It's him," Linley breathes, wearing a look of amazement and wonder. A large smile breaks across her face, causing me to forget all about my bladder.

Furrowing my eyebrows together, I glance across the festival grounds, trying to follow her line of vision. My confusion only grows as I look upon more and more people, none sticking out to me as familiar.

Linley starts to breathe heavily, pulling my attention back to her once more. She bounces in place enthusiastically, acting not like herself at all. She's acting, rather, like one of our crazed teenage fans. 

"What are you talking about?" I ask, waving my hand in front of her eyes to break her out of her weird little trance she's in.

"It's him; Jonny Delark," She tells me, panting as if she couldn't breathe. 

Jonny Delark? Is that the lad Tea had brought up before that was part of some indie band that was playing here? Now I remember, it's the lad that Linley was so supposedly all crazy about. It's all making sense now.

My eyes go back to the random strangers walking about the festival grounds, wondering which lad is the one that has Linley wrapped around his finger. Not seeing any exceptionally handsome man anywhere, I give up.

"Okay, great. Now we know it wasn't just a rumor. But I've really got to take a piss so - " I tug the handcuff around our wrists, trying to get Linley's mind off whoever this hot shot is.

"I've got to say something," Linley twists to give me a panicked look, as if I had her answers, "But what? What do I say that doesn't make me sound stupid?" She asks, reaching out to wrap her daintily little fingers around my bicep. 

I stare at her in confusion, not recognizing the girl in front of me. I respected her from the start for not giving a shit what anyone thought, but at the moment, she's only concerned about this one boy thinks. 

"What the hell has gotten into you?" I ask, crinkling my nose at this new side of Linley; a side that I'm not all that fond of. 

"Oh, shove it," She pushes my chest slightly, turning away from me. 

I can tell though, by the look in her eyes, that she doesn't recognize herself. She smooths her hair down and runs her fingers through it, fixing her clothes while she's at it as well. I just stand there, rather astonished.

I guess I thought I knew Linley better than I actually do.

After taking a deep breath, she heads off in the direction of whoever this 'dreamy' man is. She takes long strides, swaying her hips, just enough for me to get rather distracted and nearly trip over my own two feet. 

I can feel the heat boiling in my chest as we walk through the crowds of people. Several guys spin around to stare at Linley in that familiar hungry manner. I glare at them, harsh enough for them to turn around and act as if they hadn't done anything wrong. 

I resist the urge to zip Linley's jacket up around her.

Soon she slows down as we approach two rather normal looking people as they stand in front of a clothing stand. They smile at one another as the girl buys a dress from the vendor. 

"Jonny Delark?" Linley speaks up, pulling the attention of both the man and the girl beside him.

I get a good look at this Jonny lad as he turns around and eyes both Linley and I curiously. He's got that 90's grunge look to him; long curly hair that looks slightly greasy - probably styled to look that way, or perhaps he really does have poor hygiene. 

But I can see what he has that pulls girls like Linley. He's got these light blue eyes, soft and sensitive that off balance his bad-boy edge. 

The girl that stands beside him - which if Linley weren't going after him, I would assume is his girlfriend - is a very pretty girl. She's got long, slightly wavy strawberry blonde hair that's bleached blonde at the tips to give it an ombre effect. Her light golden skin is sprinkled with freckles on her cheeks and I can see a glimpse of them on her hands as she grips her purse to her chest. 

Jonny stares at the both of us, but then a smile spread across his lips as he stands up straighter, turning his full undivided attention towards Linley. I do my best not to groan and roll my eyes.

"Linley Jaxon, correct?" He asks, holding his hand out for Linley to take. 

As soon as her small little hand touches his, he brings it up to his lips and plants a kiss on her flesh. I grit my teeth, wondering how the hell a dirty guy like him can just waltz in here and plant his lips on Linley's perfect skin. 

Maybe I'm still rather confused about our almost-kiss.

"I'm a big fan," Linley grins, batting her eyelashes as she sits into her hip, making herself look damn near irresistible. 

"I could say the same thing," Jonny grins back, causing the two of them to look like Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf.

I clear my throat, not wanting myself to fall into the background. It's bad enough that I have to stand here through it all, but I'm not going to be ignored as well. I'm not just one of Linley's accessories. 

Linley flashes me an irritated look, but Jonny glances at me with curiosity, as if he hadn't noticed me until now. 

"Who's your friend?" Jonny asks, his eyes flickering down to our handcuffed hands, a new level of confusion appearing on his face.

"This is Zayn Malik," Linley introduces me, "We got into a bit of trouble," She doesn't go into details as she gestures to our handcuffed wrists.

"You're from that boyband, aren't you?" He asks, recognition hitting him. He wears this irritating smug smirk on his face, making me want to slap him now more than ever. 

I simply nod, shoving my hands into the pockets of my jeans. Part of me hopes he makes some stupid remark about the band so that I have an excuse to start a fight with him. 

"Awesome," He nods, smiling at me as if the two of us were old pals. I grit my teeth and look back at Linley, shooting her a look to let her know what I'm more than ready to leave. She simply continues to stare at Jonny as if he were some sort of god, "This is Kenzi, as you probably know, our lovely main singer," Jonny turns, introducing the pretty girl that has been silent this whole time.

She gives both Linley and I a polite nod, holding the dress she just bought close to her chest. I can tell by the look in her eyes that she's not all that pleased to be talking to the two of us either. 

Unlike Jonny, Kenzi dresses much more attractively, wearing a cute summer dress that exposes her womanly curves and rather full chest. Out of the corner of my eye, I catch Linley eyeing her up in a rather jealous manner. 

It causes a smirk to appear on my lips, curious to see Linley's inner-catiness coming out. 

"Lovely to meet you," I give her a cheeky grin, just to piss Linley off even more. 

And by the irritated look on Linley's face, it works.

"We were just talking with someone about your performance last night. I heard it was by far the best of the festival so far," Jonny returns his attention back to Linley, shutting both Kenzi and I out of the conversation yet again. 

So I return back to my position of shooting darts at Jonny with my eyes. Linley sure knows how to pick them. This man looks like he's homeless. I mean, if I stop showering and let my hair grow out, will she start drooling over me? 

From beside me, I hear a snickering. I tear my bitter glare away from Jonny's annoyingly charming smile to look down upon Kenzi, who watches me with an amused grin. 

We exchange a look and I can tell she understands every heated emotion that courses through my veins. The whole body language between Jonny and her makes sense now. Kenzi clearly has feelings for her band member and isn't all that appreciative for Linley swooping in here and stealing his attention.

"So, how did you two end up in this situation?" She asks, pulling me into a conversation, her eyes glancing to Linley and my handcuffed wrists. 

Kenzi takes a step towards me, eliminating the space between us. For a moment I get rather nervous that she's trying to make a move on me, but as Jonny and Linley glance in our direction, both furrowing their eyebrows with concern, I catch on. 

Who would have thought this girl would be a genius.

"Let's just say we didn't get off to a great start, and there is a zero violence policy in this place," I chuckle, pushing that crooked smile on my lips; the smile I save strictly for Linley. 

Concern flashes over Kenzi's eyes for a moment, as she looks at Linley and I once again.

"Violence?" She asks, obviously getting the wrong idea.

I can't help but to throw my head back with laughter. She must think that I put my hands on Linley. Though I probably was angry enough to, I would never hit a girl. It's a moral that I've been raised on and no irritating girl is going to break that for me. 

"Yeah, on her part," I gesture to Linley, who continues to glance in our direction as she converses with Jonny. 

That makes Kenzi laugh in response - a raspy, soft laugh that sounds so much different from Linley's angelic little laugh. 

Kenzi is very much the type of girl I would usually go for - very pretty in the face, curves, and very charming. But for some unknown reason, I'm not all that interested in her. She's just another girl to me and I can't for the life of me figure out why. 

"Hey, why don't we all go somewhere and hangout?" Jonny turns to finally address Kenzi and I, acknowledging that we're actually here. 

I turn to face Linley, trying to silently communicate with her that I would rather light my entire body on fire than hangout with a tool like Jonny. But she just continues to smile at Jonny in that adoring way, obviously caught under his spell. 

A sigh involuntarily releases from my mouth as I shrug. Kenzi gives Jonny a dirty look as well, but doesn't object. 

"Rad," Jonny says, sounding like a complete pretentious dick. 

Kenzi and I exchange a bitter glare as we trail behind the two lovebirds, who can't take their heads out of each other's asses for long enough to behave like normal human beings. 

Well, this day has taken an incredible turn for the worse...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

an: jdfksa; looks like another layer of drama has been added. sorry folks! but i've been so excited to add these characters! they've been planned from the start! jonny is going to be played by rory culkin, his gif is on the side!

kenzi is actually KENZI <3 i'm so happy to be bringing her into this story! [kenzi aka @AfternoonDelight] she's been such a help with this story and wanted to be a character, so of course i couldn't say no! ily <3

this chapter is a bit shorter, but oh well! i'll update again during thanksgiving break, i hope! and if you haven't already, give my new harry and michael story a look! [the harry story is on this account, my michael story is on my 5sos account!]

ily guys! keep the amazing comments coming! i got such amazing feeback on the last chapter, i do hope you guys will keep it coming! it made me so damn happy!

love always,

perksofbeingaweirdo

ps. you should all follow my instagram! it's @moniquescheidler

pps. you should all follow my 8tracks account, if you have one! it's @macklemonique

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

400K 6.4K 29
I looked down at the plastic stick in my hand for at least the tenth time this minute. positive. This can't be happening. It was a one night stand. I...
1.1K 84 34
We met at a concert, so cliche right? Well, you don't know the beginning of it..... ~K-Chan COPYRIGHTED © br0ken_child
408K 17.1K 39
When there's a problem in your way, use your fists. That's all Zayn Malik has known his whole life. He was from the poorest and roughest end of Bradf...
37.2K 546 11
Your eyeballs glued to his ass as he paced the floor in front of you. Your pen nervously tapping your desk, awaiting the ring of the bell. Your heart...