Letterman Jacket

By arrowheads

"And when I put on your letterman jacket, I still think about you." When Thea Simmons is tasked with writing... More

i. summary + author's note
ii. cast + soundtrack
iii. status
1 / eighty days before
2 / seventy-nine days before
3 / seventy-eight days before
4 / seventy-six days before
4.5 / seventy-six days before
5 / sixty-nine days before
6 / sixty-five days before
7 / sixty-two days before
8 / sixty days before
8.5 / sixty days before
9 / fifty-nine days before
10 / fifty-seven days before
10.5 / fifty-seven days before
11 / fifty-five days before
12 / fifty-four days before
13 / fifty-two days before
14 / fifty-one days before
15 / fifty days before
15.5 / fifty days before
16 / forty-eight days before
16.5 / forty-eight days before
17 / forty-three days before
18 / forty-two days before
19 / forty days before
19.5 / forty days before
20.5 / thirty-eight days before
21 / thirty-two days before
22 / twenty-nine days before
22.5 / twenty-nine days before
23 / twenty-eight days before
23.4 / twenty-six days before
23.8 / twenty-six days before
24 / twenty-seven days before
25 / twenty-six days before
25.5 / twenty-six days before
26 / twenty-four days before
26.5 / twenty-four days before
27 / twenty-three days before
28 / twenty-two days before
29 / twenty-one days before
30 / fourteen days before
30.4 / fourteen days before
30.8 / fourteen days before
31 / thirteen days before
31.5 / thirteen days before
32 / twelve days before
33 / eleven days before
33.4 / eleven days before
33.8 / eleven days before
34 / ten days before
35 / eight days before
35.5 / eight days before
36 / seven days before
37 / six days before
37.4 / six days before
37.8 / six days before
38 / five days before
39 / three days before
39.5 / three days before
40 / two days before
41 / one day before
41.5 / one day before
42 / the day
epilogue
nico romero
when she gave him her number
when she wore his scarf
when he confessed
when she was scared
when they took the long route
when he lost him
author's note

20 / thirty-eight days before

25K 1.2K 648
By arrowheads

Sutton approached our table by the far corner of Java Jones, holding two cups of steaming tea. "Here. They'll serve our double layer pancakes in a few."

I nodded, reaching out to take the mug from her. "Thanks. You didn't have to do this, you know. I'm fine now."

She settled on the chair across from me, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. "Who said I was doing this because of the fiasco last Monday?"

I sent her a flat look and took a sip from the drink.

"I can treat my friend to breakfast without reason," she argued, scrunching her nose. "I came here to have a good time but I'm honestly feeling attacked right now."

"Stop being dramatic." I laughed. "I know you can. I was just asking if there was a particular reason..."

"Fine," Sutton muttered, rolling her pretty blue eyes. "I'm just worried about you. Thankfully, nothing worse happened after the comments and the principal carried out the punishments towards the people responsible. The players from East Hampton High were given the same punishment as well."

"That's good," I said quietly, tracing the rim of the mug with my finger, "what was it again? Two weeks suspension, banishment for future games, a month of community service and a meeting with the parents?"

Sutton gave me a high-five. "Sounds about right, but those are for the basketball players who threatened you. The rest who said shit and called you names were given a written warning and an offense in their records."

I nodded again. "At least the problem's been taken care of. I was worried Theo was going to do something."

"I'm pretty convincing, actually," she stated with a smile, resting her chin on her palm. "But this doesn't mean either of you have easily forgotten about it."

"My brother...holds grudges. Even if he didn't do anything, he's not going to forget this."

"I think Faust wouldn't easily let this go, either."

"Ah." I shook my head and took another sip of the tea. "Faust found out because JJ accidentally let it slip that he treated me out for yogurt to cheer me up. His reaction was calmer than my brother's, but I got scolded nonetheless for not telling him."

The blonde cocked her head to the side. "Why didn't you tell him?"

Shrugging, I exhaled heavily. "I don't know. Guess I just didn't want this to be a bigger deal than it was."

"Understandable. When is Faust coming back to school anyway?" she asked, flashing the waiter who just set our plates down a thousand-watt smile. He briskly walked away blushing. "Is he still sick?"

I picked up the fork and knife and nodded. "He told me his fever's gotten worse. I plan to visit him today after school."

Sutton shoved a forkful of the cake batter in her mouth. "Need a ride? I've got debate practice after school but it won't take long. Man, this blueberry is so good."

I'd already asked Sutton for too many favors, so I shook my head as I chewed on my own chocolate-flavored pancake. It tasted heavenly too. "I think I can ask JJ or Paula. Maybe Nico. I can take the bus too. Besides, you've already done so much for me. I can't thank you enough."

"Thea, sometimes," she started, holding up her fork with a piece of blueberry pancake and reaching out for mine with the chocolate-flavored, "there are things in life that surprisingly make a good combination. Like blueberry and chocolate."

I frowned. "Uh, but—"

The blonde shushed me and placed both pieces inside her mouth. She nodded profusely and chewed, closing her eyes in contentment. "Like you and I as best friends. Completely different yet still tastes amazing."

"That doesn't make sense. Your point?" I asked, grinning.

"There's no point," she said, returning my fork on my plate. "I just wanted to try the triple chocolate."

I threw my napkin at her.

*

When I entered the cafeteria alone, a couple of students were reading the newspaper with sour expressions. Sighing, I turned away and quickened my pace, hurrying over to the line. Not in the mood for an undercooked hotdog or a salad, I grabbed a sandwich instead and a bottle of orange juice from the far end. As I looked around for an empty table, Paula caught my eye by waving me over. Relief washed over me, and I tried to look nonchalant as I set my tray down on the empty space beside her. "Hey," I mumbled with a smile.

Paula pulled me to a side hug and exclaimed, "I haven't seen you since the rally! Are you okay?" She was wearing a halter top and a pair of high-waisted jeans, completely free of her usual cheer uniform. Seated across from her was a smirking JJ who winked at me once I sat, and beside him was Nico, whose unreadable green eyes were trained on my own.

I squirmed under the heat of his stare and nodded. "I'm fine, thanks."

"I was a little worried," she continued, jutting her bottom lip out. "I looked for you yesterday but you didn't even come for lunch! I wanted to apologize for what the cheerleaders did—"

The green-eyed boy dropped his fork on his plate with a loud clank and pushed his tongue against the inside of his cheek. Paula sank against her chair. "I had to bring it up," she muttered.

Ignoring Nico's behavior, I took her hand in mine and squeezed it reassuringly. "Don't apologize, none of it was your fault. I'm over it and I'm over what happened with the comments and everything."

"That's my girl," JJ chirped, leaning over the table to give me a high-five. "Well, I'm glad you've finally decided to join us. Good to see you well and smiling, Thea."

"It's all thanks to you," I teased with a grin, twisting open the juice cap and taking a sip of the drink.

Nico pushed his tray away. His gaze remained locked onto mine.

Was his stare always this intense?

I cleared my throat and looked around. It was only the four of us left, Faust's other friends who shared this table with him before were nowhere to be found. "Where did the others go?" 

Paula took a bite of her sandwich and proceeded to wipe her mouth with a napkin. "You think we'll still let those douches sit on our lunch table after what they said in the comments? Yeah, no way."

"We scared them off for ya," JJ said proudly, puffing his chest out. My lips curled upwards once more. "Technically, they're suspended from school but they're never coming back. Nico here made sure that if they as much look in your direction—ow!" The jock hissed in pain as he looked up at his friend. "What the hell was that for?"

"You were damaging my eardrums," Nico said.

My eyes narrowed. "Did you do something to them?"

"Please." The cheerleader scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Nico didn't have to do anything. He's scary when he wants to be."

"How did you even know who they were?"

"Your brother was all too kind," the curly-haired boy answered, pouting a little at Nico. "You didn't have to stomp on my foot that hard..."

I sighed and unwrapped the sandwich still sitting untouched on the table. "I told Theo to leave it alone."

"Oh, he did," JJ interjected once again, ending his efforts to earn an apology from his friend. Nico wasn't giving it. "It was us who didn't want to let it go just like that. Don't worry, Thea, you're safe with us."

I managed a small smile. "Thank you nonetheless. I appreciate it."

Paula and JJ grinned in response, but Nico stayed silent. His stare was still as intense as ever, and I wanted to look away but for some reason, I couldn't.

JJ jabbed his elbow into Nico's stomach. The guy didn't even react. "Say something," he whispered very loudly.

One eyebrow rose. "I did it for Faust."

JJ let out a laugh. "Ah, bro, you are so funny."

Nico smacked the back of his head. I winced at the sound. "Use your brain and think about shutting the fuck up for once."

The curly-haired boy pouted again and rubbed the sore spot. "Meanie."

The cheerleader pushed the sandwich closer to my lips. "You need to eat. You've lost weight since Friday."

I took a small bite. "I was wondering if you guys could tell me where Faust lived so I could visit him after school today."

Nico kept his expression carefully neutral. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"What? Why?"

"Faust is insanely protective of his privacy," JJ explained slowly, features drawing together. "He wouldn't...appreciate a surprise visit."

"Oh. Is it because of Beau?"

Paula promptly choked on her water and JJ sucked in a deep breath.

"Sorry," I mumbled, keeping my head down. "I shouldn't have mentioned anything."

"No," Nico answered, unfazed. He must've been expecting that I'd gotten answers from my brother after the fight he and Faust had. "It's because Faust doesn't need you obsessing over him when he's sick. He's fine. Leave it."

I put the sandwich down and took a deep breath. "I am not obsessing over him. I want to see him and I want to know if he's okay."

His eyes narrowed into slits. "You're not going to let this go, are you?"

"No."

"You're so fucking irritating," he said, letting out an annoyed grunt.

JJ laid a hand on the table before I could stutter out a response. "Wait, how do you know Beau?"

"I don't. Theo mentioned his involvement in the start of his rivalry with Faust and with Anya."

"Well, that explains it," Paula murmured. "I'd offer to take you to Faust's but I have cheer training until seven today. Sorry, babe."

"I can take the bus—"

"Nico will drive you," JJ interjected with a grin, eyes twinkling with mischief. "Won't you, Nico?

Nico didn't answer.

I sighed. "I'll take the bus or get a cab—"

Keeping his eyes on Nico, JJ's mouth widened to an even bigger smile. "Thea," he loudly cut in again, "do you know that the sc—"

"Alright!" Nico barked, slamming a fist on the table. His voice made me flinch from the loudness. "Fucking hell, Ford, I'm going to fucking kill you."

"Not if you want to know what you so desperately want to know," the curly-haired boy teased with a satisfactory smile, reaching out to pinch Nico's cheek. The latter clenched his jaw. "And not if you don't want me to tell your secret."

"Shut up already," Nico grumbled, turning away.

I wanted to question it, but it wasn't any of my business. Paula stood and tightened her ponytail. "Both of you are so hopeless. C'mon, Thea."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 5.5K 58
𝐒𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐚 𝐂𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐤 is smart, quiet, shy and beautiful. She joined crystal high sophomore year and soon won the hearts of all teachers with her...
61.1K 1.3K 43
"One day I'll be able to convince you that the only girl I could ever possibly be in love with to no end is you. But until then, I'm going to keep sa...
1.7K 151 48
When Cassie Evans starts high school and meets Blaze, a kid who seems to have a secret grudge against her family, her entire world is thrown upside d...
432K 15.1K 50
All rights reserved. ~ ~DUAL POV~ ~ Azalea and Aiden have never gotten along. Despite the absurdity of it, they have been rivals since birth. But...