Ferry of Woe [malexmale]

By rotXinXpieces

[Book 6] Charon is alone. Charon's always been alone. As the creature of death that ferries souls to their fi... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Two

94.1K 4.4K 3.6K
By rotXinXpieces

Chapter Two

The Ferry, as it had no other name aside from such, was a large ship meant to accomodate a decent amount of souls. Most days, the souls didn't even fill up the ship. In fact, it was hardly necessary for the ferry to be as big as it was. Of course, Hades wouldn't allow me to trade it in for another, claiming this one was special, though, I failed to see how.

It was painted entirely black with a dim array of white lights lining the cabins at the center that led to the captain's quarters above, tucked just behind the wheelhouse. Every part of the ferry was painted either black or dark gray. A suitable set of shades considering how dreary it already was to ride with a crew that was dead.

Every so often, a soul would break free from the natural daze a soul shielded itself with to avoid the trauma of realizing they were dead. Once the soul broke free, it would do one of two things.

Scream hysterically and try to jump into the water to get away.

Or plead for me to bring them back to life.

However, I was a god of death, not a god of creation. I was born for the sole purpose of ferrying souls to their appropriate destination. Otherwise, I was pretty useless.

I made my way to the wheelhouse, pausing on the steps to turn my head sideways, watching the black skeleton guards materialize on the docks below, bringing with them a new group of souls. They were all in their protective dazes, just looking around and seeing their own fantasizes, instead of the bleak darkness that surrounded them. I went up the wheelhouse as the guards led the souls on board.

I didn't even need to touch any of the controls as I waved my hand and the ferry came to life, engine grunting and controls beeping and whirring. I stepped back and stood against the door that went to the captain's quarters. I waited for the souls to be safely on board and comfortable before a skeleton guard approached the wheelhouse, peering in at me.

"All the souls are safely on board, Lord Charon. You're set to leave." He informed. I just nodded and he vanished. I walked up to the wheel, touching a finger to it. That was all it took for the magic to spin itself out and twirl around the wheel, controlling it on its own so we left the docks.

I didn't go down to look at the souls. It was far too depressing. I disappeared into the captain's quarters instead where I found a comfortable spot near the window, watching the gloom of the underworld pass us by as we came down the river. I summoned my journal, flipping it open to the last page before I began to write again.

Alexion.

Where had he come from? Had someone pushed him into the river or was it all an elaborate trap to lure me in so he could take my heart out? He didn't know how to kill me, I knew. Only Hades knew how to do that. He would do it too, if it meant stopping me from doing something stupid. But he would never tell anyone else. He hadn't even spoken of it to Persephone, for which I was truly grateful for as Persephone and I were estranged acquaintances. She was a goddess of creation, fertility, vegetation, and the queen of the underworld. Meanwhile, I was a god of death. We got along as well as a sword to a hydra's head.

But back to Alexion. There was something about him that held me captive.

Maybe it was his eyes. The clearest, strongest blue I'd ever seen. They spoke of centuries upon centuries of pain and caution. They were the eyes of a person who'd seen the darkest corners of this world and somehow managed to come out sane.

Maybe it was his face. Perfectly sculpted by the gods for beauty, seductive. Well formed lips that were meant to be kissed tenderly, hooded eyes that watch the world with suspicion, a strong, square shaped jaw with the crisp stubble of having hadn't shaved in days, long straight nose that gave him an ancient touch of wisdom.

Or the perfect body. Thick corded muscles running down a broad back, wide shoulders and narrow waist with abs that bulged against his wet t-shirt. Long muscular legs that spread out so far that his feet stuck off the end of my bed. Calloused hands of someone who worked hard, suffered so much, long fingers that could completely encase my own smaller, more slender, hands.

A rugged predatoral prowess.

I couldn't quite pinpoint what about him attracted me the most. Granted, there was a small part of me that wondered what it would be like to feel his lips against my skin, those hands touching me in places no one else has touched me before. But I wasn't stupid enough to sink into the lust that lured my brothers into most of their troubles. I think it was the fact that I hadn't exactly had contact with anyone else in a while.

It'd been a month since anyone came to visit me. Cerberus very rarely made an appearance now that he was focused on Blaine and Ayo. Leon also had ceased his visits. According to rumors, Leon had found some company in Cain's second-in-command, Kat. The two were spotted spending a frequent amount of time together.

Aside from that, no one else came to see me. They had no reason to, even Abel.

Abel had apologized to me a few months ago for having spent centuries mocking me, to my face and behind my back. He tried to apologize for the rest of our brothers, and while I pretended I accepted his apology with grace, there was still a part of me that burned with anger. It was like a hot poison flowing through my veins.

How could he think that a few words could make everything all right? I wasn't even sure if he was honest about it. He had only come to see me twice since making such an apology, and both had been business visits that Cain had sent him on. He smiled and joked and pretended everything was okay. I also smiled at his silly jokes and tried to tell myself that everything was okay.

But it was going to take more time to accept his apology.

I knew for a fact my other brothers didn't particularly care. In fact, Cain couldn't care less. There was nothing in the world he cared for, except Abel. He pawed at Abel and vied for his attention. It was almost pitiful. Abel happily gave it to him too.

As for Zelios, our conversations had ceased since Hades had taken his voice, not that it mattered since we rarely spoke before. We were both the quieter ones that preferred to keep to ourselves; although, now, he had Noe to lavish with love and affection.

Theo was no difficult creature to understand. He hated everyone and everything, except Sept. Somehow, through a series of unfortunate events, Sept had managed to tame the beast that drove us all insane. If Sept was around, Theo was relatively compliant and docile. He was too busy fawning over Sept, who very obviously enjoyed having Theo desperate to kiss at his feet. Even so, Sept never degraded Theo as most of us would have enjoyed doing. Sept treated Theo more like a fickle feline. Should Theo misbehave, Sept would warn him to behave. Theo would very reluctantly do as he said, but not before smacking him on the butt or giving him a chaste kiss. Theirs was an odd relationship.

And Malachi very seldom spoke to me. He had no need. We were estranged brothers. We only spoke of business the handful of conversations we've even had. I could probably count the amount of times we spoke to each other on one hand. I noticed Adrian made an effort to try and include me, and it irritated me.

I was accustomed to being forgotten and left alone. I had no need for him to change that, or to try and get my brothers to do so as well.

Since the incident with Prometheus and the Labyrinth, a few of my brothers made very poor attempts to speak to me, but I ignored them and they finally gave up. They pitied me is why they bothered to try. They lived in lavish mansions filled with servants and people they loved. Meanwhile, the one person I loved having around was now gone and I was completely alone.

Well, except the rat.

The rat stayed.

I closed my journal, pinching the bridge of my nose as I set it aside, looking up as the ferry made port in Styx. I pushed myself to my feet, legs weary from being folded and unused, so I decided to at least get on the docks. I left the ferry, the souls just wandering around, not even seeing the gigantic city of Styx.

In the past few months, it had become extremely crowded. Theo had to add onto it just to accomodate the amount of citizens that were taking up residence in the bustling exotic city.

Styx was a very active city, both day and night. Even now, under the clouds of the early afternoon, neon lights and show lights flashed and glowed brightly, illuminating the city like an eerie bed of glowing flowers. Several types of music filled the air with sounds of tambourines, drums, flutes, lyres, and a guitar. A woman was singing somewhere near the town square while her two small boys danced rather exotically. A bowl was set out to take money. Most of it was drachmas. Occasionally, someone who came from a time where currency didn't exist, would toss in pieces of expensive jewelry or herbs.

The docks were a bit more on the slum side, however. The more poorer groups of people clung to the outer edge of the city at the docks. Large warehouses and boat houses ran the length of the river. In the distance, I could see Theo's mansion glinting in the occasional flash of artificial sunlight that managed to peer between the clouds.

The docks were wide and open, leading to the cement platform that made up the crumbling street, from which alleys and narrower streets branched off. A trio of little boys were playing a board game, laughing hysterically at each other. A man leaned on an abandoned ticket booth, smoking a cigarette and coughing hoarsely. A woman was hanging her laundry to dry just over the river from her crummy apartment. There were a few lower vendors in this area, selling fruit and other vegetation they'd managed to harvest from the farmlands that stretched from here to Inferi.

I approached one of the vendors that was selling pomegranates and peaches for a hundred drachma, which really wasn't that much considering how drachma had fallen in worth. I withdrew a sack of drachma, maybe a thousand, placing it in front of the vendor and indicating with a finger that I wanted half and half of pomegranates and peaches.

"Of course, Lord Charon," The vendor stammered, looking awed at my presence as he fumbled around to fill a burlap sack with fruit, "It's a pleasure to have you purchasing from me. I should hope you enjoy them. They are fresh from my brother's orchard." I only gave him a nod to indicate I understood, and thank you. I took the fruit back to the ferry, taking my time to go up the steps. I entered the wheelhouse and a frown fell across my lips when I saw the captain's quarters opened, when I know I had closed it.

I approached a bit cautiously, feeling my shoulders slump when I saw Cerberus sitting inside with Blaine.

"Charon," Cerberus greeted cheerfully, jumping up from his spot at one of the tables, "Good to see you!" I just stared at him. Cerberus was incredibly handsome, but it made sense considering he was created, not birthed. He was the tallest of my brothers at nearly seven foot with thick layered black hair and piercing red eyes. He was a Gothic maniac, so he'd decked himself out in his famous cropped black leather jacket and leather pants with skulll and cross bones stitched down the sides, to match the skulls printed all over his tall buckled boots. An unnecessary sword was strapped to the belt around his waist.

Blaine was his fae, and his lover. Blaine was very petite compared to Cerberus. He only reached the guy's chest. He was pretty in a masculine sort of way. His dark brown hair was wavy, almost curly and fell to his slender shoulders. His emerald green eyes were much paler now that he was blind. It was like a milky light green. He wore a pair of baggy black cargo pants and a loose black hooded shirt that was decorated with leaves and vine art. I noticed, even from here, the bump under his shirt, indicating he was pregnant.

Blaine had lost his ability to become pregnant long ago, something he didn't like talking about. However, Hades had put Persephone's womb inside him instead, on the condition that Blaine willingly bear any children for him. I had a feeling it was one of Hades's children, by the way Cerberus didn't point it out.

He seemed to be the type who would point and shout loudly about how Blaine was going to have his child.

"Oh, you're eating again," Cerberus commented, making me raise an eyebrow at the relief in his voice, "I was gonna start sending Blaine over to cook for you. He's a great cook."

"Stop bragging about it," Blaine said drolly, then looked in my direction, although, his eyes seemed to miss me by a foot, "I smell fruit. Do you mind sharing? I have this craving for something sweet." I almost nodded, then caught myself before doing something so foolish. I approached him instead, taking out a peach. He held his hand out for it. I took his hand and placed the peach there. He smiled in relief and bit into it. Cerberus looked uncomfortable.

"Yeah, he has weird cravings."

"It's a peach, you shit. That is not fucking weird."

"Is to. And I'm talking about what you ate for breakfast."

"I hate honey mustard and pickles. The fuck is wrong with that?" Blaine challenged, getting worked up. Cerberus cringed at that and looked at me for help, but I held my hand up and shook my head, indicating there was no way I was gonna get involved in this couple fight. Blaine just sighed in frustration, biting into the peach again.

"I haven't had cravings before," He admitted dryly, "When I had, uhm, my first kid, I didn't have any cravings. Not really. I just ate a lot of cheese."

"Each child is different." I said monotonously, although, I couldn't take my eyes off the bump under his shirt. I'd never seen any one pregnant before, I realized. Not even a woman. It was an odd thing. It was like he was bloated, belly swollen with child and pushing against his shirt. He wasn't very far along by human standards. A month would barely be so large, but considering he was carrying the child of a god, the baby was most likely going to grow much faster. Gods grew very quickly in the womb in order to hurry and make their presence known to the world.

"I guess," Blaine said at last, licking the juice off the peach core before handing it to me and I took it to throw it in the trash, "You know, you might be able to grow that into a tree. You don't have to cook peaches." It was his attempt to keep me from starving. I looked down at the peach core, then shook my head, immediately feeling stupid for it when he I knew he couldn't see it.

"The soil is charred. I don't think anything will grow." I responded. Blaine wrinkled his nose.

"You'd be surprised what plants can do." He said. I could hear the insistence in his voice, so I didn't throw it away and just put it in a baggy before sticking it in the captain's desk. Cerberus cleared his throat.

"Anyway, we were in town and decided to visit. How is everything? Anything new?" He asked casually. Blaine shot a dirty look in his direction, but I wasn't sure why. Maybe because Cerberus changed the subject. I didn't know what to say to Cerberus's questions, though.

Obviously telling him about Alexion was out of the question. It didn't matter anyway. Alexion was probably halfway across the underworld right now... or hiding in the kitchen, waiting to cut my heart out. Either way, it didn't bother me, but it would most certainly bother Cerberus, so instead of tellin him what I was thinking, I shook my head.

"Just work." I replied flatly. Cerberus sighed, walking over to plop on the leather sofa beside Blaine, putting an arm over his shoulders, to which the fae only cuddled down against him and closed his eyes with a content sigh.

"You really need to find yourself a girlfriend," He said, then paused, "Or boyfriend, but don't tell Hades. He'll probably turn your boyfriend into a girl just so you won't be dating a guy. I don't get why he's having such a cow about that whole thing. I mean, he's had his fair share of boyfriends too. We're Greek. We sleep with anything that has a heartbeat."

He had a point. Well, aside from putting it so crudely anyway. But our pantheon was very lenient with sexuality. There was no real thing as "gay" or "straight". It was whoever aroused you and you took them. Half the time, the gods didn't even try to woo or flirt. They saw someone they wanted and they took them. Take Zeus, for example. He saw Ganymede and kidnapped him, fell in love with the Trojan, and kept him on Olympus until Hera decided to do something about it.

Apollo was also infamous for his interest in males. He'd taken on thousands of male lovers, one of which also included my brother, Zelios, for a very short period of time before Zelios gave Apollo his current lover, a mysterious creature named Callias that he'd picked up in the Dungeons of Hades.

Hades himself had taken on male lovers from time to time. Blaine being one of them.

But it didn't matter when it came to me. I wasn't interested. I was so accustomed to being alone that I felt no need for a relationship. It looked troublesome... and impossible.

"I have an idea," Cerberus said suddenly, making me frown at him, "How about you come out with Leon and I tomorrow night? We're going drinking and it'd be fun to have a third guy." Blaine instantly looked like he'd eaten a lemon.

"Why are you going drinking?" He demanded. Cerberus rolled his eyes, probably thankful Blaine couldn't see it. Knowing Blaine, he'd punch Cerberus in the nose.

"Because I need a night out. I won't bring anyone home, promise. I told you, you're the only one I want. Just be ready when I get home. I get horny when I'm drunk."

"I know." Blaine said, voice flat enough to make their conversation comical, but I didn't laugh out loud. I just smiled inwardly before looking at Cerberus and giving my head a shake.

"Work." I responded briefly. Cerberus wrinkled his nose.

"Hades isn't here, though," He pointed out, "He's still on Olympus with Zeus and Poseidon. Come on, Charon, just one night. One hour! Stay one hour and if you end up not liking it, I'll bring you home. Please, please, please. I won't ask anymore after this, I swear! Just this once." He begged, looking at me with puppy eyes. I feel like Hades gave him that ability on purpose. It was extremely difficult to say no.

But I couldn't say yes. Bars and clubs were not to my liking. I preferred to be left alone. Even one or two people made me uncomfortable. A bar would be much worse. I'd also never been intoxicated before. I wasn't sure if I would act stupid or silly or just embarrass myself further.

"I don't think that's a good idea." I said at last. Cerberus pouted.

"Please, please, please." He continued saying it until I felt like I was going to get a headache. Blaine elbowed him to shut up, but Cerberus ignored him as he kept looking at me sternly, repeating "please" until I couldn't stand it anymore.

"All right," I snapped, making Cerberus grin in satisfaction, "For an hour. Then I will return home." Cerberus nodded at that and stood up, taking Blaine's hand to help him get up.

"Perfect. Leon and I will stop by your house tomorrow night at eight." He declared, then put a possessive arm around Blaine's waist and the two of them vanished in a pillar of red smoke. I grimaced, however. I wasn't looking forward to this. I wasn't a social person in the least, and what about my work? It was piling up, even as I did it!

Oh, Hades was going to gut me when he returned.

I shook the thought off and started the ferry, returning to work. I took the ferry winding through all the rivers of the Underworld, stopping at the Fields of Asphodel first. In the distance, I could see Cain's house towering over the tall trees. To the left, I could see the faint golden glow of Elysium.

Once upon a time, Elysium had been ruled by Abel. However, Cain's jealousy had turned him into a cruel individual. He framed Abel for allowing dark souls into the land and caused Hades to strip Abel of his title and half his powers. Even now, Hades refused to return them, mostly as punishment for the whole Labyrinth incident. And through events I had yet to comprehend, Abel allowed Cain another chance at redemption. Currently, their relationship was still going strong as they shared the mansion in the Fields of Asphodel. The two were more lovey-dovey than Theo and Sept.

I took off from the Fields of Asphodel and pulled to the docks of Elysium. A brilliantly bright land with mild temperatures, green foliage as far as the eye could see, and a cozy little town at its center where all the souls gathered to rest after their days of frolicking in paradise.

From there, I went to my least favorite stop.

Tartarus.

A dark dismal place only lit by the hellish flames of torture and misery. Unlike Styx, where music played throughout the city in the streets, urging people to sing and dance, screams and sobs rang out all through Tartarus. Tortured souls wailed and begged for mercy, only to be granted none as they are viciously tormented for eternity. Time slowed in the cells, so that if a soul was just thrown in for a day, it seemed like a whole year to them. The guards created by Hades's own hands were set to be in charge of the physical torture, occasionally a guard coming in to cast illusional spells to torment the souls.

The only way into Tartarus was through a long winding staircase.

For me, it was different. I directed the ferry through the more difficult course of the river Styx, just near the end where it abruptly disappeared into a large cliff side. I was thankful the souls were in their dazes, otherwise, they'd be screaming and panicking, believing we were about to crash into the side of the cliff.

However, the illusion of the cliff rippled around us as we sailed through it. On the other side was a long dark cavern and the river of Styx vanished, becoming the Phlegethon river.

The Phlegethon river was very unique in the sense that it was a river of liquid fire. I could feel its vicious heat from inside the wheelhouse. The licking hot flames crashed against the sides of the ferry, but made no dent. The ferry was immune to its effects because of a magical barrier. Meanwhile, the river outside tore at the cavern walls, casting eerie shadows across the ferry, ceiling, and walls. The flames both shrieked and trickled like a normal river.

I sailed out from the cavern, still along the fiery river, entering Tartarus from the opposite side that most people did. The Phlegethon river around a circle around Tartarus, only disappearing near the main entrance. It was still there, but it was just underneath the entrance, something that not many people noticed.

I didn't have to go too far into Tartarus. I approached the charred cement docks where several skeleton guards and Tartarus guardsmen awaited for the worst of the worst souls that rode the ferry. I waited for them to leave before I too took my leave, traveling the lonely and quiet trip back to my home.

The underworld was such a vast place. Along the way, I passed Elysium, and the Fields of Asphodel. I passed minor towns and farmlands. I passed orchards; apples, grapes, pomegrantes, peaches, and more. Olive groves here and there. Cattle grazing in empty fields.

Beyond our underworld, to the west, was Duat, the Egyptian underworld, the ruler being Osiris. To the east was the Celtic otherworld, Annwn, sectioned off and ruled by multiple Celtic deities. As far north as possible was the Aztec underworld of Mictlan, ruled by Mictlantecuhtli and his wife, Mictecacihuatl. And to the south was Hell, ruled by Lucifer. Beyond that were many more underworlds, or otherworlds.

The world was far more vast than the humans could comprehend. There were many realms that practically existed parallel to theirs. It was amazing.

I finally docked near my home, leaving the ferry behind and allowing it to be naturally cloaked by its magical shield of invisibility. I approached my house, pausing to look at it and its paint-peeled state. It was actually in quite a pitiful state of being. I'm surprised Hades didn't force me to burn it down and turn it into something else, not that I would if he told me to.

This tiny shack was mine, and despite all the horrible memories that lived within it, there were good ones too that I couldn't bear to leave behind.

I entered through the front door, closing it and locking it behind me. I frowned, caught off guard by the warmth inside. My eyes drifted to see peeking out from the kitchen was the potbelly stove, glowing orange. The house was so warm, for the first time in months. It felt cozy. Even better was the hot scent of food wafting from the kitchen. It smelled exotic.

I drifted toward the kitchen, pausing near the corner to peer inside, my eyes widening in surprise.

Alexion was standing over one of the counters, cutting vegetables and tossing them into a pot before he started to hack at a leg of lamb. He sprinkled herbs I didn't even know I had in here in the pot before he reached for a bowl. He seemed to realize he was being watched at that point and dropped the bowl on the counter, whirling around and pointing at his knife at me.

I didn't react to it. A silly little knife couldn't do much. It would hurt, yes, but kill me? Not likely.

Alexion watched me with pure suspicion, caution, and distaste. His knife still dripped with blood from the lamb's leg and onto the floor. I noticed the rat from before scurrying across the floor to lick it up before taking off when Alexion shifted his weight onto the balls of his feet, ready to stab me if I made a move, but I didn't move. I just stood there, watching him.

I wasn't sure how long we stood there, watching each other, both expecting the other to move, but nothing happened. Alexion seemed to slowly relax, deducing that I wasn't much of a threat; although, his guard was still up and ready to defend if I chose to jump him, which I wouldn't do.

"All your food was rotten," Alexion said suddenly, making me look up at the sound of irritation in his voice, "I had to go out and buy some more." I tilted my head, confused. Had to go out and buy some more? No, he didn't. He chose to. I didn't eat. I had no reason to keep the food well taken care of, or eaten.

"I don't eat." I deadpanned. Alexion glanced over his shoulder at me, scanning me from head to toe before he went back to cutting the meat.

"Obviously." He said curtly. I didn't know what to say to that. I was offended, of course. I didn't give him permission to leave my room or to invade my kitchen, or shop for me much less. I wanted to be angrier that he was acting like a jerk in my own home, but the warmth from the potbelly stove was making me feel sleepy and unwilling to argue. So I just stood there and watched Alexion work in the kitchen as if he'd done this a thousand times. Had he served Crous and Zeus like this before? Or was he plotting to poison me? Not that it would work. It would just annoy me.

"What are you doing?" I asked at last, unable to remain silent for much longer. Alexion didn't answer me for a while. I assumed he was ignoring me out of spite. So I started to leave, but when I moved back, Alexion cleared his throat.

"Lamb stew. I figured I'd make something big enough so you'll actually eat. I turned your fridge on again so you can put the leftovers in there." He muttered, stirring the mixture in the pot around with a large wooden spoon. A frown worked itself onto my face.

"You don't live here." I reminded him. Alexion scoffed.

"Of course not. I wouldn't live in a place like this. It's horrible. You have enough dust to make a whole market of dust bunnies. Don't you know basic hygiene?" He demanded, dropping the spoon on the counter to glare at me. I just stared at him blankly, not answering. I knew basic hygiene quite well, but lack of motivation and caring prevented me from bothering to do anything about it.

I never bothered cleaning in the past. Kyros did it for me. I didn't bother cooking. Kyros did it for me. I didn't need to go out and buy food. Kyros did that.

A lump swelled in my throat, but I swallowed it down hard. The last thing I needed to do was cry in front of the enemy. He'd use it to his advantage... Although, I was still wondering why he hadn't attacked me or at least taken off yet. Was he just going to eat and then leave?

I don't understand.

Socializing was one of those otherworldly mysteries.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

401K 11.2K 54
Surviving is what Rowan does best. She's been alone almost since the beginning and it's suited her just fine. Lately things have changed; a group h...
402K 5.3K 27
After a harsh betrayal, Percy finds himself seeking death. But after stopping a near rape he finds that his broken heart is falling for the Goddess o...
13K 495 14
Death is what comes to people like a thief in the night, snatching them with no intentions of bringing them back. Death is a nagging parent that you...
165K 5.4K 40
Alone. That's what Carolina has been all her life. Her parents only care about her older sister, Bea. Boys only talked to Carolina to try to get to...