The Golden Queen

By OliviaFallyn

After an enchanted artifact lures Kara Walker three thousand years back in time, she finds herself in the per... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty One
Thirty Two

Thirty

7K 316 15
By OliviaFallyn

Thirty

AHMOSE'S arm brushed mine as he settled into his chair next to me. I had fallen into a pensive state, listening as the musicians performed in the great ballroom. Taking my hand, he pressed his lips into my palm and whispered, "You are tired, my love. You do not have to weary yourself with this banquet if you are not feeling up to it."

I smiled at him and murmured, "I will stay." Absentmindedly, I ran my hand over my belly, knowing I would have to leave if another wave of sickness hit me. The wedding had gone perfectly, and only after we boarded our boat to sail back to the palace did I became ill again. I had dismissed the illness as nerves to Ahmose, planning to tell him the truth tonight when we were alone and in bed together.

The musicians took up lyres and began plucking a soft, fleeting melody. People began crowding the dance floor, and turning to me, Ahmose asked, "Will you dance with me?"

I gave him my hand and said, "I would love to." I followed him to the dance floor, and couples began moving away, creating a space in the center of the ballroom. They crowded around to watch us. He placed his hand on the small of my back, and the world around us seemed to tumble away. Taking his hand, I gazed up into his eyes and murmured, "I love you."

"I love you too, my golden queen," he whispered in my ear.

I closed my eyes and pressed my cheek into his shoulder as he held me against him, waltzing into a slow and delicate pace, in sync with the harmony of the lyres. Then I began to envision Clair. It was the first time I had thought about her in sometime, and I tried to imagine what she was doing. Was she still searching for Ahmose's tomb in the far away twenty-first century? Would she find me buried next to him? Would she find our unborn child that would grow up and become a great ruler of Egypt? I wrapped my arms tighter around my husband.

Ahmose's own arm tightened around my waist. "I have something to tell you," I murmured. He pulled back to look into my eyes. Past his shoulder, I saw the door on the western side of the hall open suddenly, and in strode Iset, a drink in hand and servants trailing quietly behind her. She wore a gown spun from golden thread, with precious gems that twinkled on her fingers like tiny stars. Her ruby lips parted and flashed white as she smiled at me.

Instinctively, I grabbed Ahmose's hand. Had Thutmosis accompanied her here? I quickly scanned over the dozen or so servants that shadowed her and did not see Thutmosis.

Ahmose followed my gaze, and scowled at Iset suspiciously. He halted our dance immediately, and the crowd began looking her way. The music stopped, and the room plunged into silence. Iset's footsteps padded against the polished tiles as she came forward, opening her arms and embracing Ahmose. He stiffened in her arms, but relaxed when he realized she had come alone. She pulled back, and gazing at me, smiled warmly. "My queen," she breathed, and fell to her knees to kiss the hem of my gown, "You truly are more beautiful than Isis herself. I wish I could have witnessed the marriage of my most treasured brother and his new bride, but the news of your wedding arrived late." She rose to her feet.

"Such a shame," he replied flatly. "It is nearly a four day trip up the Nile to Megiddo. The news mustn't have been delayed by long, considering you are here now."

I wasn't surprised or disappointed that Iset hadn't attended the wedding, considering her husband had been banished from Thebes. But from the scorn that suddenly flashed across Ahmose's face, I knew he was more than displeased by her blatant disregard.

"What brings you here?" he asked curtly.

Iset motioned to her servants, young girls in simple robes, and they hurried out of the room. "I bring gifts for you and your lovely queen, dear brother," she answered. Moments later, the doors opened and the servants returned, each carrying a large woven basket. One of the servants brought her basket to Iset and sat it on the floor before us. Iset lifted the lid, and within the intertwined reeds were rich silks and gems of every color. Ahmose approached the basket and glanced inside.

His expression darkened as his eyes shifted from the basket to Iset. "A lovely gesture," he murmured. "Has my sister traveled this distance to present these gifts in woven reeds? I wish to see what you have brought for us. Please take them out of the baskets."

The crowd watched us inquisitively, occasionally exchanging a curious glance with whomever they were standing next to. The way Iset's hands fumbled with her gown as she glanced at her servant nervously filled me with a sense of foreboding. Were the gifts just a ruse?

She nodded at the servants, and they lifted the lids of the baskets, pulling out armloads of dyed silks, linens, jewelry fashioned with gold and silver. Unaware of Ahmose's distrusting eyes, Iset smiled warmly at us. He smiled as well, though there was no warmth in his features. "The gifts are most appreciated," he said. "Thank you for bringing them to us. It is a long way back to Megiddo, and it is nearly twilight. I am sure you need to make haste and be on your way. We do not want to tie you up any longer."

Iset frowned and stifled a yawn. "Dear brother, I have traveled an exhausting distance to bestow upon you extravagant gifts in celebration of your marriage. Surely you will not send away your only sister at this hour of the eve. Cannot you give me one of the palace's many bedchambers to retire to for the evening? A full night's rest should replenish my energy and prepare me for the long journey home."

I squeezed Ahmose's hand. I did not want her to stay here with us, regardless if it was only for one night. His lip quivered and stress worked its way across his forehead as he considered what to do. Iset's golden brown eyes were pleading, and being so kind hearted, I knew he wouldn't send her away.

He sighed. "Aye, you may stay for the night." He motioned to one of the guards standing near the doorway, and upon his approach, continued, "Your boat will be stocked with an adequate amount of food to last you for your trip upriver. This will be done in time for your departure tomorrow morning. You may stay in the northern wing tonight, and your servants may retire to the servants' quarters." The northern wing was farthest from our sleeping quarters. He didn't trust her being so close to us while we slept.

Satisfied, Iset grinned and came to embrace us once more before retiring for the evening.

We were both unsettled by Iset's unexpected visit, but said no more on the matter. Ahmose's tense temperament didn't lift until after the banquet was over and we were together alone in our bedchamber. He removed his robe and came to sit by me at the edge of the bed. I placed my hand on his shoulder and he clasped my fingers.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"The nausea has passed," I confessed.

He smiled gently, reaching out to touch my face. "It has been a long, wearisome day."

"I'm not tired," I said, scooting closer to him to wrap my arms around his shoulders. I kissed his cheek. "Are you?"

He laughed softly, understanding my meaning, and pressed his forehead to mine. "Not at all," he replied, meeting my gaze. He pressed on my shoulders and laid me down in the middle of the large bed. He ran his fingers through my hair and leaned down to kiss me. I brushed my fingers along his cheek when he pulled back to look down at me.

"I have something to tell you," I said as my heart labored in my chest. He continued to stroke my hair as I considered my words. "It is the reason I have been ill today. My nausea wasn't caused by nerves alone."

"Are you truly ill?" his tone was sharp, and his expression shifted into a mask of worry.

"No, I am not sick," I smiled reassuringly. My tongue suddenly felt heavy under the unspoken words.

His smile returned, and just as I was about to tell him the truth, someone knocked on the door. Ahmose sat up and scowled at the intrusion.

I replied, "It is so late. Who would disturb us at this hour?"

The knocking became more rigid. Ahmose leaned in to kiss me and said, "I will send them away."

I leaned back and watched the ceiling as he went to answer the door. Their conversation was hushed, but when he returned a few moments later, his temperament from earlier returned.

"I apologize for this intrusion, but I am afraid I must leave you. It is urgent and cannot wait," he bent down to kiss me. "I promise I will only be away briefly."

Thousands of questions suddenly spun in my head as I wondered what was so urgent that couldn't wait until tomorrow. I started to protest, but his anxious eyes filled me with a sense of dread. "Please hurry back. I have something important to tell you," I reminded.

"I promise," he said, giving me another kiss before leaving the room. Disappointed, I fell back against the bed and wondered if this sudden intrusion had anything to do with Iset's presence in the palace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 542 21
Abigail and Hannah are sent back to Ancient Egypt to stop yet another woman from trying to start a war that could re write the future. Little does Ab...
79.6K 1.9K 42
SUMMARY #1 : Ancientegypt : { 29/10/19} #7: Pharaoh. : {16/11/19} Clarissa is a witty and charming psychologist and not to mention , an art...
10.5K 487 44
A rebellious uprising. An arranged marriage. A rising threat against Egypt. How will the youngest son of Pharaoh Aknamkanon cope with them all? #1 in...
3 2 10
John Davis, a modern historian, is inexplicably transported back to ancient Egypt, where he finds himself in the heart of Pharaoh Akhenaten's court...