attached | james potter

By kill-zones

James Potter is infatuated. Utterly and completely infatuated. And he isn't going to give up that easily. (Ja... More

[Prologue]
one [prefect potter]
three: james potter's arms aren't that bad
four: love potions and broomstick cleaner
five: quidditch
six: midnight patrol
seven: knight in shining armour
eight: full moon
nine: notes
ten: strange feelings & interesting lists
eleven: morning walks and algernon
twelve: denial is hard work
thirteen: rainy breakfast
fourteen: halloween
fifteen: herbology and healing
sixteen: lucky stars
seventeen: a deal with the devil
eighteen: insufferable twat
nineteen: subtle hints
twenty: interesting revelations
twenty-one: invitations
twenty-two: gryffindor vs slytherin
twenty-three: of alcohol & drunken babbling
twenty-four: going home
twenty five: meet the potters!
twenty-six: almost, but not quite
twenty-seven: can't help falling in love with you
twenty-eight: all i want for christmas
twenty nine: back to hogwarts

two: infatuation

76.4K 1.9K 1.9K
By kill-zones

 Chapter Two

"Settle down, settle down."

Dumbledore clinked his glass quietly and immediately, the entire Great Hall went silent. The Sorting had just finished and everyone was ravenous. Some of them were already eyeing the plates of food laid out on the tables. Sirius' hand slowly inched forward to the basket of bread but Lily smacked his hand. He drew back, grumbling obscenities about annoying redheads.

"Now, I'm sure you're all famished." Dumbledore paused for a moment, chuckling. "I'm not going to waste your time talking anymore. I'll save the lengthy speeches for after dinner, and now, I simply have two words. Tuck in!"

James and Sirius clinked their forks and spoons together, grinning. "Amen."

Finally, they were home. And nothing says home like a hearty meal.

---------------------------------

Brooklyn glanced around when she was done eating, sipping her pumpkin juice, as she smiled slightly. Merlin, it was good to be back. She'd missed this place.

She turned to her right, where James Potter had taken the seat beside her, unsurprisingly. Her smile was replaced with a weary sigh. She didn't hate him, no, but she didn't exactly like him either. Really, she would consider them friends, but he was just so moronic and arrogant sometimes, it really drove her up the wall.

He was already watching her, and when they locked eyes, he grinned, raising his eyebrows.

"So, did you miss me over the holidays, Jones?"

She scoffed. "You wish."

"I do, love. I really do."

Across the table, Marlene smirked. "She was too busy getting attention from all the cute muggle guys working at the new record store across her house. Right, Brook?" Brooklyn blushed, rolling her eyes. "Shut up, Mar."

"Oh come on. The really cute one, the one who can sing, what was his name? Connor? He was totally into you."

Brooklyn rolled her eyes again, sighing. She leaned forward, resting her elbows on the table as a distant look emerged in her eyes. "Well, he was cute. Really cute." Lily giggled along with Alice. "Definitely."

James huffed. He seemed annoyed at the sight of his lovely Jones practically swooning over some stranger. "Well love, you can go tell this Connor  fellow to piss off and that if he ever tries to flirt with my girl again, he's going to get a serious—"

"I'm not your girl, Potter," Brooklyn stated, but she looked more amused than annoyed. Having bantered with James Potter for so many years, she was used to his flirtatious jokes and childish comments. Well, at least she thought they were jokes.

"Well, do you want to be?" He winked and she groaned. "How many times do we have to go over this?"

"As many times as it takes, love."

"Stop calling me that."

"Make me."  He brought his face closer to hers, still wearing that infuriating, cocky smirk of his. Brooklyn suddenly realised just how tall he was, he practically towered over her. And his eyes.... He did have nice eyes. And nice arms. And a nice jawline.

Oh, shut up, Brooklyn, she thought, quickly looking away.

"Hey Brook, shouldn't you be taking the first-years off now?" Lily asked, and Brokklyn smacked her forehead.

"Oh, that's right, I nearly forgot! Thanks Lils." She beamed at the redhead in gratitude before getting up, shooting James a look.

"Come on Potter. We're supposed to show the first-years to the common room. Please at least try to live up to your title as a Prefect."

"Anything for you." He beamed, scrambling to get up. It was an almost comical sight, and Brooklyn had to purse her lips to avoid smiling. "Enough of that," she grumbled and hurriedly rushed off to gather the first-years, with James following behind her like a lost puppy.

Lily sighed, watching as James tried to put an arm around her and got a smack on the shoulder.

"I have to admit, they'd make such a cute couple."

Remus glanced up from his book. "Well, don't let James hear you say that. He'd be more determined than ever."

Marlene smiled slightly. "It's actually really sweet, isn't it? How he chases after her, even though he keeps getting shot down. He must really like her, huh?" Alice sighed. "Its a shame, really. Brooklyn doesn't even realise that Potter likes her, the poor thing. She thinks he flirts with her all the time just to annoy her."

The three marauders exchanged silent, knowing looks. They'd shared a room since first-year, and for the past few years, ever since that day on the train when they'd met her, it'd been Brooklyn this and Brooklyn that coming from James' mouth every day. Gushing about how brilliant she was, complaining about how she hung out with Fabian Prewett too much, punching the wall in frustration and breaking his knuckles and moaning about how she never gave him a chance, getting excited because she'd actually smiled at him in Charms class one day, daydreaming of their wedding and thinking of names for their future children. The boys had witnessed it all, and they all knew that James 'liking' Brooklyn was an understatement. That boy was infatuated.

Sirius coughed. "Yeah. I guess he really does like her a lot." Neither of the marauders said another word before Remus piped up quietly.

"It doesn't matter anyways, Brooklyn's obviously never going to feel the same."

The three girls exchanged looks as well. Sure, Brooklyn had never actually said that she had feelings for James Potter. But the girls could see it sometimes as well. Like when James had nicked a Snitch and charmed it to fly into her room, engraved with the words 'Go out with me?' Brooklyn had rolled her eyes, tossing it aside onto her dresser, muttering about how James' practical jokes were so bloody idiotic, but the corners of her mouth had curved up in a slight, almost hopeful smile. In fact, she'd still kept that Snitch. Or when James had done something stupid as usual and Brooklyn would sit on her bed complaining for hours about what a cocky, self-centered idiot he was to the girls as they nodded and pretended to listen. Maybe Brooklyn hadn't realised it yet, but Lily, Alice and Marlene were all certain she had some feelings for James Potter.

They all watched as Brooklyn started to berate James for telling the first-years that they would get extra points for Gryffindor if they put Veritaserum in Snape's drink. He didn't even get upset, he only grinned and shrugged, stepping back to watch her as she proceeded to give the younger students instructions.

And it didn't even matter that nobody knew how much James rambled on and on to the other marauders in their dorm about how perfect Brooklyn was and how much it hurt when she rejected him. Because it was right there, in plain sight. The way he looked at her, anyone could tell he was in love.

Well, anyone except Brooklyn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Brook! There you are!"

Brooklyn was greeted enthusiastically by Alice, Marlene and Lily as she entered their dorm. She'd just finished her prefect duties, and she couldn't wait to kick back and get some rest. The first night back at Hogwarts was always the best.

"We saved the bed closest to the door for you, as always," Alice beamed. Brooklyn was a light sleeper, and she frequently woke up in the middle of the night and headed down to the common room to think, so she preferred taking the bed next to the door to avoid disturbing her roommates. Brooklyn grinned, giving her a light hug.

"Thanks girls. Merlin, Alice, I just noticed you're so much taller now. Unfair. Anyways, Lils, you have to tell them what happened that day at the fair, remember? With Petunia's horrid boyfriend."

The four girls all plopped down together on Brook's bed, talking and gossiping and laughing. Little did they know, in the marauders dorm, the boys were doing exactly the same.

"So mate, when are Quidditch tryouts?"

"Dunno. Arthur Weasley's captain this year, isn't he?"

"Yup." Sirius nudged James. "Is Jones trying out for Chaser as usual?"

James leaned back, staring up at the ceiling dreamily. "Of course she is. Without her, Gryffindor's a goner. Besides, what's the point of even showing up to training if she isn't going to be there?"

Remus rolled his eyes. "Really good motive there, Prongs. A+ for team spirit."

James smirked, running his fingers through his hair carefully. "Thanks, Moony."

"So, how was prefect duties?"

"Amazing." James grinned, flopping over onto his stomach with a contented sigh. "Any time spent with Brooklyn Jones is heaven. If only she could hurry up and just realise that she feels the same already." The last part ended in a whine.

Sirius slapped him on the back encouragingly. "Come on mate. You've got plenty of time with her to make her see that. Prefect duties, Quidditch practice, classes. She'll be yours in no time."

James' grin widened. "Right you are, Padfoot. This is going to be a great year."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 272 20
๐๐Ž๐‹๐€๐‘๐Ž๐ˆ๐ƒ | james f. potter -- ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ james potter fell in love with a girl ...
256K 6.1K 35
---------โ€ห–โบ. เผถ โ‹†ห™โŠนโ€--------- a james potter love story ---------โ€ห–โบ. เผถ โ‹†ห™โŠนโ€--------- โ˜Ÿ๏ธŽ โ˜Ÿ๏ธŽ โ˜Ÿ๏ธŽ โ˜Ÿ๏ธŽ โ˜Ÿ๏ธŽ โ˜Ÿ๏ธŽ โ˜Ÿ๏ธŽ click on my profile to see outfits and m...
21K 843 40
Spending time with James makes me realise that whatever I'm feeling isn't just there because I'm pretending to date him. I genuinely think I'm in lo...
65.7K 3.4K 25
โ SHE DATES PEOPLE TO GIVE THEM EXPERIENCE? โž โ SHE'S RICH, PRONGS. DON'T QUESTION HER BUSINESS CONCEPT. โž โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ” เผŠ*ยทหš ๐Ÿ’ฐ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ ๐ข๐ซ๐ฅ๐Ÿ๐ซ...